Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Maple Syrup

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>>> I have been out of the loop for awhile (rotten sick, not Norwalk)
>>> and just laying about looking at food television and reading my
>>> cookbooks....
>>>
>>> Question that rose from this lolling......
>>>
>>> Maple syrup......what do you put it on. I am soooooo disgusted by
>>> my Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors lately in that they put it on
>>> EVERYTHING. Can't go to the diner without syrup for your breakfast
>>> meats, ham, scrapple, sausage, corned beef hash..... Then dinner,
>>> syrup for the ham, the turkey, the pork, the beef........and lets
>>> not forget the starches and veggies, they have to have their dollop
>>> of syrup too. (snip)

>> Although I can find maple cured bacon in TN I don't care for it. It
>> tastes
>> like syrup was poured over it. I don't want my bacon to taste like
>> syrup. I'd have to agree that maple syrup on everything would get
>> really tiresome,
>> not to mention annoying.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> .....and fake, most of these maple novelties.

Would have to agree with you there, Joe. When I make my spice cake
(rarely!) with maple frosting it's *real* maple syrup. Most of this stuff
is that fake breakfast syrup.

When John visited we had breakfast at the hotel and he got a "Belgian" (I
use that term only to describe the thick quality) waffle. The syrup
available was some weird brand of fake maple, didn't even meet up to Mrs.
Butterworth standards. Not only that, it was LITE syrup. HUH? Oh, just
what you want on your waffle! Damn, just give us some honey and be done
with it. I have yet to see (but I'm sure there is, somewhere!, will have to
Google) fake honey.

Jill