Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Maple Syrup

Dave Smith wrote:

>The best place for storing maple syrup is
> in the freezer. Standard density maple
> syrup will not freeze solid but will
> become too thick to pour easily. After
> thawing enough to pour, the container
> should be shaken, the required amount
> taken out and the container resealed
> and put back into the freezer.

>After being opened, containers of maple
> syrup should be kept in a refrigerator or
> freezer. If stored at room temperature,
> maple syrup may develop mold.

I've never thought to keep syrup in a freezer, as one would have to
think ahead and have it thaw out, as couldn't pour it over anything on
the spur of the moment certainly.

I rarely ever buy pure maple syrup, as I really can't see anything THAT
great about the flavor, for what they charge. When I do though, I have
always kept it in the refrigerator. I much prefer good ol' Log Cabin
syrup. I was raised on it (sometimes we'd run out and mom made her own)
and to this day I still love it, and when our grandkids come to spend
the night, they ask for it too. I doubt if they've ever had pure maple
syrup. I keep the bottle of Log Cabin syrup in the pantry and use by the
date shown. I use everything up by the date shown, even though I know
there is a margin of safety. I don't want taking a chance of any of us
getting sick from eating "old" food, when we live within minutes of a
big grocery store.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/09/2011 5:41 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

>> After being opened, containers of maple
>> syrup should be kept in a refrigerator or
>> freezer. If stored at room temperature,
>> maple syrup may develop mold.

> I've never thought to keep syrup in a freezer, as one would have to
> think ahead and have it thaw out, as couldn't pour it over anything on
> the spur of the moment certainly.

It depends on how large a container it is in and how cold the freezer
is. There is a lot of sugar in maple syrup so the freeing point is
about 7 F. It doesn`t have to warm up much to thaw.

> I rarely ever buy pure maple syrup, as I really can't see anything THAT
> great about the flavor, for what they charge.

I beg to differ. I was raised on Old Thyme, in the days when it was part
real maple syrup and the rest was some other syrup. My wife is a maple
syrup purist. I got hooked on the real McCoy. I can no longer tolerate
artificial maple syrup.

> always kept it in the refrigerator. I much prefer good ol' Log Cabin
> syrup. I was raised on it (sometimes we'd run out and mom made her own)
> and to this day I still love it, and when our grandkids come to spend
> the night, they ask for it too. I doubt if they've ever had pure maple
> syrup. I keep the bottle of Log Cabin syrup in the pantry and use by the
> date shown. I use everything up by the date shown, even though I know
> there is a margin of safety. I don't want taking a chance of any of us
> getting sick from eating "old" food, when we live within minutes of a
> big grocery store.

Having once had a dose of food poisoning I can understand that. I don`t
ever want to get sick like that again. I can handle a slight case of the
trots or vomiting, but I don`t ever again want to spend 5 hours of
puking and retching.... 5 hours.... solid.... constant. It was horrible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:38:29 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I can handle a slight case of the
> trots or vomiting, but I don`t ever again want to spend 5 hours of
> puking and retching.... 5 hours.... solid.... constant. It was horrible.

I've always wondered how you'd know it was food poisoning and that's a
pretty clear description. Ugh-lee!

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:37:42 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> We never buy any thing _but_ real maple syrup. Grade B.

Everybody says grade B is great, but I disagree. I prefer grade A.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:37:42 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > wrote:
>
> > We never buy any thing _but_ real maple syrup. Grade B.

> Everybody says grade B is great, but I disagree. I prefer grade A.

I think B is smokier tasting and like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>> We never buy any thing _but_ real maple syrup. Grade B.

>Everybody says grade B is great, but I disagree. I prefer grade A.

sf is a TIAD JAP.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:05:46 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:37:42 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > We never buy any thing _but_ real maple syrup. Grade B.

> > Everybody says grade B is great, but I disagree. I prefer grade A.

> Why, do you think? I prefer the "darker" taste of grade B. The
> grade A stuff tastes sweeter and lighter to me.

I like the lighter quality of A and B has a bitterness to it that I
don't like. I'm not a big maple syrup fan anyway. It has a place on
pancakes & waffles, but not much else. The idea of substituting maple
syrup for sugar, maple candy etc all leave me cold.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/09/2011 11:05 PM, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:37:42 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> We never buy any thing _but_ real maple syrup. Grade B.

>> Everybody says grade B is great, but I disagree. I prefer grade A.

> Why, do you think? I prefer the "darker" taste of grade B. The
> grade A stuff tastes sweeter and lighter to me.

I usually get the darker stuff too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 24, 11:20*pm, sf > wrote:

> I like the lighter quality of A and B has a bitterness to it that I
> don't like. *I'm not a big maple syrup fan anyway. *It has a place on
> pancakes & waffles, but not much else. *The idea of substituting maple
> syrup for sugar, maple candy etc all leave me cold.

I like grade A plain. Grade B has a bite to it; the flavor is a bit
too strong for me. Diluting B half-and-half with simple syrup makes it
much like A at half the cost. As for maple candy, it's far too sweet
for my fuddy-duddy taste, but I liked it as a kid. We would get a
dipper of (11 pounds per gallon) hot syrup from the evaporator pan and
drizzle it onto the snow, where it would immediately harden. I suppose
it would have liquefied again if it had warmed up, but it never got
the chance. At about 13 pounds per gallon, it's candy at room
temperature.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 09:49:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 24/09/2011 11:05 PM, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:37:42 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits

>>> Everybody says grade B is great, but I disagree. I prefer grade A.

>> Why, do you think? I prefer the "darker" taste of grade B. The
>> grade A stuff tastes sweeter and lighter to me.
>>

>I usually get the darker stuff too.

It's darker as in more concentrated, same way as dark and light brown
sugar. Darker or lighter grades have no bearing other than on taste
prefernces, same as some prefer more darkly roasted coffee, same as
some sprinkle more salt on their food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/09/2011 12:15 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Why, do you think? I prefer the "darker" taste of grade B. The
>>> grade A stuff tastes sweeter and lighter to me.
>>>

>> I usually get the darker stuff too.

> It's darker as in more concentrated, same way as dark and light brown
> sugar. Darker or lighter grades have no bearing other than on taste
> prefernces, same as some prefer more darkly roasted coffee, same as
> some sprinkle more salt on their food.

It gets darker later in the season do to chemical changes in the sap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:41:39 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

> Diluting B half-and-half with simple syrup makes it
> much like A at half the cost.

Isn't it more like faking Log Cabin?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:52:17 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:41:39 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
>wrote:
>
>> Diluting B half-and-half with simple syrup makes it
>> much like A at half the cost.

No, not really.. diluting doesn't nullify the caramelization that had
occured during the extended processing.

>Isn't it more like my faking orgasms?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:14:32 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>Isn't it more like my faking orgasms?

Nobody cares.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 26, 8:14*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:52:17 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:41:39 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
> >wrote:

> >> Diluting B half-and-half with simple syrup makes it
> >> much like A at half the cost.

> No, not really.. diluting doesn't nullify the caramelization that had
> occured during the extended processing.

There you go again. Much of the flavor of maple syrup develops from
the sap caramelizing. Grade B has too much of it for some tastes on
some foods. Dilution reduces its strength.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>Isn't it more like sf faking orgasms?

>Nobody cares.

Then why do you bother faking orgasms when you masturbate?!?!?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:37:42 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > wrote:
>
> > We never buy any thing _but_ real maple syrup. Grade B.

> Everybody says grade B is great, but I disagree. I prefer grade A.

B is indeed better, and even with pure graded maple syrup there is a lot
of variation in flavor between different sources. I've found what I
consider to be the best maple syrup from a small place in Connecticut
which beats any Vermont or Canada maple syrup I've tried (not that those
are bad).

Darker is better and more flavorful in maple syrup, rum, beer and a lot
of other things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:41:39 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
> wrote:
>
> > Diluting B half-and-half with simple syrup makes it
> > much like A at half the cost.

> Isn't it more like faking Log Cabin?

Sort of, but if you're making the simple syrup with proper cane/beet
derived sucrose you're still ahead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:05:47 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:37:42 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > We never buy any thing _but_ real maple syrup. Grade B.

>> Everybody says grade B is great, but I disagree. I prefer grade A.

>B is indeed better, and even with pure graded maple syrup there is a lot
>of variation in flavor between different sources. I've found what I
>consider to be the best maple syrup from a small place in Connecticut
>which beats any Vermont or Canada maple syrup I've tried (not that those
>are bad).
>
>Darker is better and more flavorful in maple syrup, rum, beer and a lot
>of other things.

Women too... like good coffee... strong, hot, and black.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:07:45 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:41:39 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Diluting B half-and-half with simple syrup makes it
> > > much like A at half the cost.

> > Isn't it more like faking Log Cabin?

> Sort of, but if you're making the simple syrup with proper cane/beet
> derived sucrose you're still ahead.

Too much trouble. If I want the fake stuff, I'll buy it. Otherwise,
I'll stick with grade A.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:01:18 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> >>Isn't it more like sf faking orgasms?

> >Nobody cares.

> Then why do you bother faking orgasms when you masturbate?!?!?

You're the faker and nobody cares.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:15:24 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:01:18 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>> >Nobody cares.

>> Then why do you bother faking orgasms when you masturbate?!?!?

>You're the faker and nobody cares.

Then you must care because you're nobody.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:15:37 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Then you must care because you're nobody.

You're thrilled that I tossed you a bone.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Too much trouble. If I want the fake stuff, I'll buy it.

This reminded me of Nad's recent post:

> services would not be welcome in my home. I would much rather go to the
> Bordello for such services.

....because you KNOW there's lots of fake stuff there!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 27, 2:15*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:07:45 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:

> > > Isn't it more like faking Log Cabin?

Hardly. The last time I lookes, Lof Cabin wae 3%, not 50, and it may
be less now. there were other artificial flavors too. I'll read the
label next time I'm in that aisle.

> > Sort of, but if you're making the simple syrup with proper cane/beet
> > derived sucrose you're still ahead.

> Too much trouble. *If I want the fake stuff, I'll buy it. *Otherwise,
> I'll stick with grade A.

If you find a source of 50% fake at a worthwhile price, please let us
know.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:16:29 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

> If you find a source of 50% fake at a worthwhile price, please let us
> know.

That's up to you, I'm not interested enough to find out.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>> I have never noticed any bitterness in Grade B, and I detest
>> bitter foods.

> Not bitter like medicine. Just a touch, like coffee, only a little
> more subtle.

I have honestly never noticed that.

--
Jean B.