Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods that are filling in small amounts...

I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
very small amounts.

They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.

Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
about anything made with cheese.

Anyone else?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:21:03 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
>very small amounts.
>
>They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>
>Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
>about anything made with cheese.
>
>Anyone else?

Avocados. Calorie dense!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> very small amounts.
>
> They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>
> Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> about anything made with cheese.
>
> Anyone else?
> --

Salad with just a little ranch dressing and shredded cheddar.

Best thing is, it fills you up with mostly water!

Cottage cheese, too. So I guess I am saying, I agree about cheese.

But Cottage has at least as much protein as fat.

I think it is protein that fills us quickly and sticks around longer
so we don't feel hungry.

The thing to try: have a pastry for breakfast one day and
eggs the next and see how hungry you are by lunch time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> > very small amounts.
> >
> > They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
> >
> > Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> > about anything made with cheese.
> >
> > Anyone else?
> > --

> Salad with just a little ranch dressing and shredded cheddar.
>
> Best thing is, it fills you up with mostly water!
>
> Cottage cheese, too. So I guess I am saying, I agree about cheese.
>
> But Cottage has at least as much protein as fat.

Not low fat or non-fat but I can't stand the flavor or texture of the
fat free cottage cheese.

> I think it is protein that fills us quickly and sticks around longer
> so we don't feel hungry.
>
> The thing to try: have a pastry for breakfast one day and
> eggs the next and see how hungry you are by lunch time.

I know that trick. <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Omelet" > schreef in bericht
news
> I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> very small amounts.
>
> They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>
> Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> about anything made with cheese.

Yup: cottage cheese and brussels sprouts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> very small amounts.
>
> They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>
> Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> about anything made with cheese.
>
> Anyone else?

Pan-fried oysters and clams really fill me up but, darn, are they good.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote
>> The thing to try: have a pastry for breakfast one day and
>> eggs the next and see how hungry you are by lunch time.

> I know that trick. <G>

I always forget I am "preaching to the choir" when I post
to you about protein vs simple carbs!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
>very small amounts.
>
>They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>
>Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
>about anything made with cheese.
>
>Anyone else?

I've read, and I've found it to be true, if you eat a little of something
very fragrant, it will turn off your appetite. Some very garlicky bread
or salad makes me feel like I can't eat another bite.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:21:03 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
>>very small amounts.
>>
>>They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>>
>>Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
>>about anything made with cheese.
>>
>>Anyone else?

> I've read, and I've found it to be true, if you eat a little of

something
> very fragrant, it will turn off your appetite. Some very garlicky

bread
> or salad makes me feel like I can't eat another bite.
>
> nancy

A couple bites of 81% dark chocolate tastes so rich I'm full up. Maybe
it's the guilty pleasure factor.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...

>>>They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>>>
>>>Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
>>>about anything made with cheese.

>> I've read, and I've found it to be true, if you eat a little of

> something
>> very fragrant, it will turn off your appetite. Some very garlicky

> bread
>> or salad makes me feel like I can't eat another bite.

> A couple bites of 81% dark chocolate tastes so rich I'm full up. Maybe
> it's the guilty pleasure factor.

Probably the same prinicple. Makes you feel full completely
out of proportion to the amount you ate.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> very small amounts.

I believe a sixteen ounce can of corned beef hash and a fruitcake would
feed a platoon.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> very small amounts.
>
> They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>
> Eggs
>
> Anyone else?

Eggs >>> Omelet.... that's funny! LOL

How many pounds is a small amount of chocolate?

Sheldon Bittersweet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> A couple bites of 81% dark chocolate tastes so rich I'm full up. Maybe
> it's the guilty pleasure factor.
>
> Andy

I find if I have some good 72% or higher dark chocolate, maybe one or
two squares, I'm all set for the day. If not, it takes 2 or 3 candy
bars. We no longer run out of good chocolate.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
>very small amounts.
>
>They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>
>Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
>about anything made with cheese.
>
>Anyone else?

Injera
Mashed potatoes

And on the opposite end, I seem to be able to eat popcorn forever
without getting full.

serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:21:03 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
>>very small amounts.
>>
>>They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>>
>>Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
>>about anything made with cheese.

Definitely eggs, especially omelettes. I like them, but all too often I feel
sick after eating them. I guess I'm a 'dinner' for breakfast kind of
person.

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:21:03 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
>>very small amounts.
>>
>>They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>>
>>Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
>>about anything made with cheese.
>>
>>Anyone else?

> Injera
> Mashed potatoes
>
> And on the opposite end, I seem to be able to eat popcorn forever
> without getting full.
>
> serene

I have the same problem with popcorn! i made a giant bowl last night and was
still hungry.

on the other hand it could be that mr bottomless pit has recovered from his
sick belly and was making up for all those lost meals...

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:19:09 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>I have the same problem with popcorn! i made a giant bowl last night and was
>still hungry.

It's so not surprising when you stop to think how few corn kernals
went into making that huge bowl, Heather.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:19:09 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>

>>I have the same problem with popcorn! i made a giant bowl last night and was
>>still hungry.

> It's so not surprising when you stop to think how few corn kernals
> went into making that huge bowl, Heather.

I am just spending a moment thinking about how MANY kernals went into his
belly! I'm going to make him make his own next time.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 26 Nov 2006 08:34:10p, Steve Pope meant to say...

> Amarantha > wrote:
>
>> Nuts. Hot chillies. Rich desserts. Sweet potato. Although,
>> strangely, I always have room for ordinary potatoes...

> Not strange at all; potatoes are not very calorie-dense,
> especially as compared to nuts.
>
> I make a curry sometimes that has a bag of cashews in it per
> pot of curry. I've done this for large parties and people end
> up satisfyingly full. Thousands of added calories by including
> the nuts. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^

Something I definitely do not need. :-)

> Sweet potatoes are also not all that calorie-dense, but I
> suspect many people get sick of them after more than a few bites.

Most of the time I'd rather have a baked sweet potato than a baked white
potato.

--
Wayne Boatwright

You're not as real as you think you are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Amarantha > wrote:

> Nuts. Hot chillies. Rich desserts. Sweet potato. Although,
> strangely, I always have room for ordinary potatoes...

Not strange at all; potatoes are not very calorie-dense,
especially as compared to nuts.

I make a curry sometimes that has a bag of cashews in it per
pot of curry. I've done this for large parties and people end
up satisfyingly full. Thousands of added calories by including
the nuts.

Sweet potatoes are also not all that calorie-dense, but I
suspect many people get sick of them after more than a few bites.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote
> >> The thing to try: have a pastry for breakfast one day and
> >> eggs the next and see how hungry you are by lunch time.

> > I know that trick. <G>

> I always forget I am "preaching to the choir" when I post
> to you about protein vs simple carbs!

Could you tell me about it, that's new to me, cheers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> very small amounts.
>
> They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
>
> Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> about anything made with cheese.
>
> Anyone else?

X'mas pudding? Or rich desert. Not as much as filled, but sort of
content with the feeling of 'mmm.. that's nice, and I've had enough'.

> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > schreef in bericht
> news
> > I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> > very small amounts.
> >
> > They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
> >
> > Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> > about anything made with cheese.
> >

> Yup: cottage cheese and brussels sprouts.

Hm, never tried that combo. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:21:03 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> >very small amounts.
> >
> >They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
> >
> >Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> >about anything made with cheese.
> >
> >Anyone else?

> Injera
> Mashed potatoes

Injera?

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"elaine" > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:21:03 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> >>very small amounts.
> >>
> >>They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
> >>
> >>Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> >>about anything made with cheese.

> Definitely eggs, especially omelettes. I like them, but all too often I feel
> sick after eating them. I guess I'm a 'dinner' for breakfast kind of
> person.
>
> elaine

You may be over-cooking them.
I've found that, especially with scrambled eggs/omelets that cooking
them too hard also makes my stomach upset.

It's why I won't eat my dad's cooking when he makes omelets. ;-) The
eggs could bounce off the floor when he cooks them!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:19:09 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>

> >I have the same problem with popcorn! i made a giant bowl last night and was
> >still hungry.

> It's so not surprising when you stop to think how few corn kernals
> went into making that huge bowl, Heather.

That's why popcorn (without butter) is considered to be a good diet
food. <G> It's mostly air!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 26 Nov 2006 08:34:10p, Steve Pope meant to say...
>
> > Amarantha > wrote:
> >
> >> Nuts. Hot chillies. Rich desserts. Sweet potato. Although,
> >> strangely, I always have room for ordinary potatoes...

> > Not strange at all; potatoes are not very calorie-dense,
> > especially as compared to nuts.
> >
> > I make a curry sometimes that has a bag of cashews in it per
> > pot of curry. I've done this for large parties and people end
> > up satisfyingly full. Thousands of added calories by including
> > the nuts. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Something I definitely do not need. :-)
>
> > Sweet potatoes are also not all that calorie-dense, but I
> > suspect many people get sick of them after more than a few bites.

> Most of the time I'd rather have a baked sweet potato than a baked white
> potato.

That's why I made mashed yams this year and no white spuds at all.
I served the yams the same way. Mashed with some shredded jack cheese,
butter and pepper.

No added sweetening! I don't think they need it and neither does dad. I
never could wrap my brain around the serving of yams with marshmallows!
<shudder> I know a lot of people like that dish but just thinking about
it makes my teeth hurt!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"dee" > wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
> > "Omelet" > wrote
> > >
> > > I know that trick. <G>

> > I always forget I am "preaching to the choir" when I post
> > to you about protein vs simple carbs!

> Could you tell me about it, that's new to me, cheers.

Eating simple carbs in the mornings spikes your glucose levels and other
hormones. The rapid rise and fall of some levels makes you hungrier by
noon.

Many studies have been done on this and people tend to eat more,
(calorie dense) foods during the rest of the day if you eat a high
sugar/simple carb breakfast.

Eating a high protein breakfast helps people curb their appetite
throughout the entire day.....

Donuts are not a good breakfast food.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Curt Nelson" <X> wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> > very small amounts.
> >
> > They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
> >
> > Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> > about anything made with cheese.
> >
> > Anyone else?

> Pan-fried oysters and clams really fill me up but, darn, are they good.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Lordy... I love fried oysters! But they run around $9.00 per lb here
shucked. :-( I just cannot afford to serve them with any great frequency.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
> >> The thing to try: have a pastry for breakfast one day and
> >> eggs the next and see how hungry you are by lunch time.

> > I know that trick. <G>

> I always forget I am "preaching to the choir" when I post
> to you about protein vs simple carbs!

<winks> Spoken like a fellow low carb addict...

My triglyceride levels now routinely run 50 to 80 mg./dl. They used to
run up around 600.........

;-)

And I did that without medication.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:21:03 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> >very small amounts.
> >
> >They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
> >
> >Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> >about anything made with cheese.
> >
> >Anyone else?

> I've read, and I've found it to be true, if you eat a little of something
> very fragrant, it will turn off your appetite. Some very garlicky bread
> or salad makes me feel like I can't eat another bite.
>
> nancy

Hm, I'll have to try that by adding some garlic to my salads more often.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Nancy Young said...
>
> > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:21:03 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> >>very small amounts.
> >>
> >>They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
> >>
> >>Eggs (especially hard boiled!) and bannanas do that to me, as does just
> >>about anything made with cheese.
> >>
> >>Anyone else?

> > I've read, and I've found it to be true, if you eat a little of

> something
> > very fragrant, it will turn off your appetite. Some very garlicky

> bread
> > or salad makes me feel like I can't eat another bite.
> >
> > nancy

> A couple bites of 81% dark chocolate tastes so rich I'm full up. Maybe
> it's the guilty pleasure factor.
>
> Andy

<lol> No, I have to agree with that one! I've always found a good dark
chocolate to be more physically and soul satisfying than milk chocolate!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> > very small amounts.

> I believe a sixteen ounce can of corned beef hash and a fruitcake would
> feed a platoon.
>
> leo

And both of those make good hurricane food! ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> "Sheldon" >
> oups.com:
>

> > Omelet wrote:
> >> I've found that there are some foods that fill you up quickly, and in
> >> very small amounts.
> >>
> >> They make you feel almost stuffed rather quickly.
> >>
> >> Eggs
> >>
> >> Anyone else?

> > Eggs >>> Omelet.... that's funny! LOL
> >
> > How many pounds is a small amount of chocolate?
> >
> > Sheldon Bittersweet

> It's fried rice for me. Fills me up but I'm hungry a short time later.
> Maybe that's why, when ordering out, I get the large size.
>
> Michael

Fried rice is good... and has such a variety of things in it.
I'll have to post one of my variable recipes for it some day.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> Metamucil. AKA Psyllium husks.
>
> -sw

Yick.

I get my fiber eating _real_ food thanks!

That stuff (literally) sticks in my craw.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods filling in small amounts... injera

Omelet wrote:

> Injera?

Ethiopian crepes made with teff flour. Except the thin pancakes aren't
filled. You tear some off and use it as bread to scoop up flavorful
stews on a communal platter.

--Lia