Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Default Right amounts of the omega 3, 6 and 9 in a Veg diet

Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

Today I found these two groups and would like to know how the members
manage to get the right amounts of the omega 3, 6 and 9 in their food
intake.

TIA

Old 09-07-2011, 01:01 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On Jul 9, 4:03*am, Seum wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

Today I found these two groups and would like to know how the members
manage to get the right amounts of the omega 3, 6 and 9 in their food
intake.

TIA

If it's a concern to you buy Omega Nutrition oils. They are cold
pressed in the absence of air so retain intact essential fatty acids.
They even make an oil mixture that has the optimum amounts of 3,6, and
9 omegas in it.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:35 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On 7/9/2011 5:01 AM, Mr.Smartypants wrote:
On Jul 9, 4:03 am, wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

Today I found these two groups and would like to know how the members
manage to get the right amounts of the omega 3, 6 and 9 in their food
intake.

TIA

If it's a concern to you buy Omega Nutrition oils. They are cold
pressed in the absence of air so retain intact essential fatty acids.
They even make an oil mixture that has the optimum amounts of 3,6, and
9 omegas in it.

Most people just give up and resume eating meat.
--
Ray Fischer | Mendacrisy (n.) government by lying

Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On Jul 9, 4:03 am, wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

Today I found these two groups and would like to know how the members
manage to get the right amounts of the omega 3, 6 and 9 in their food
intake.

TIA

If it's a concern to you buy Omega Nutrition oils. They are cold
pressed in the absence of air so retain intact essential fatty acids.
They even make an oil mixture that has the optimum amounts of 3,6, and
9 omegas in it.

Most people just give up and resume eating meat.

Bullshit.

No, it isn't.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On 7/9/2011 3:03 AM, Seum wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

IN other words, an irrational religious fanatic.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:03:38 +0100, Seum wrote:

Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

Today I found these two groups and would like to know how the members
manage to get the right amounts of the omega 3, 6 and 9 in their food
intake.

TIA

Flax seeds will take care of your 3 and 6 requirements, and you'll
produce your own 9s if you have enough of the first two. Buy them
whole and grind only what you need to last for a couple of days. Store
the ground seeds in the fridge, if you've ground too many for one
day's requirements. I usually have between one and two table spoons a
day. They're a particularly good source of dietary fibre as well.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 AM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

George Plimpton wrote:
On 7/9/2011 3:03 AM, Seum wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

IN other words, an irrational religious fanatic.

You know so little George.

I have been 100% atheist since I was 20 years old - it's now 1/2 century
later and I never regretted it. Wake up to the real world :-)
Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 AM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Derek wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:03:38 +0100, Seum wrote:

Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

Today I found these two groups and would like to know how the members
manage to get the right amounts of the omega 3, 6 and 9 in their food
intake.

TIA

Flax seeds will take care of your 3 and 6 requirements, and you'll
produce your own 9s if you have enough of the first two. Buy them
whole and grind only what you need to last for a couple of days. Store
the ground seeds in the fridge, if you've ground too many for one
day's requirements. I usually have between one and two table spoons a
day. They're a particularly good source of dietary fibre as well.

Thank you Derek.

Unfortunately I have an intolerance for flax seeds. I am a bit uncertain
about whether it is the same with flax seed oil. I'll look into that
soon. I get loads of fiber/fibre (take your pick) from whole grain
breads and even psyllium husk. I pay a lot of attention to websites like
MayoClinic.com, drweil.com, Linus Pauling Institute -
lpi.oregonstate.edu, etc

Old 10-07-2011, 04:33 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On 7/10/2011 12:52 AM, Seum wrote:
George Plimpton wrote:
On 7/9/2011 3:03 AM, Seum wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

IN other words, an irrational religious fanatic.

You know so little George.

I have been 100% atheist since I was 20 years old

"veganism" is a religion - every bit as irrational as any other.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:11 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

George Plimpton wrote:
On 7/9/2011 3:03 AM, Seum wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years..

IN other words, an irrational religious fanatic.

You know so little George.

I have been 100% atheist since I was 20 years old

"veganism" is a religion - every bit as irrational as any other.

Unbridled stupidity seems to be your religion, Goo.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:01 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:03:26 +0100, Seum wrote:

Derek wrote:
[...]

You're over 70, but take heart because Donald Watson, founder of the
vegan society, was striding up mountains well into his 90s. But
anyway, aging vegans do have certain problems converting the short
chain fatty acids found in linseed and walnuts to the long chain omega
3 acids, and so you might try opting for a more direct source of this
fatty acid by taking in some blue-green algae supplements instead.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On 7/10/2011 12:01 PM, Derek wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:03:26 +0100, wrote:

Derek wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:03:38 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Or, he might just come to his senses and begin eating wild-caught salmon
and other animal protein sources high in omega-3.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Derek wrote:
[...]

Fish oil supplements 'don't help the elderly', the Daily Mail
reported. It said a study has found that people aged 70 to 80 who took
fish oil supplements for two years did not perform any better in
memory and concentration tests than those who took a placebo.
http://tinyurl.com/3xckckt
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Derek wrote:
[...]

Thank you Derek and MrSmartypants. You are the only sane voices here.
Keep up your good work and ignore the loonies :-)