Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Useful for small amounts?

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-.../product/12613

I don't make big amounts since the children grew up and left home. I am
tempted. What is the general view on this?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:
> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-.../product/12613
>
> I don't make big amounts since the children grew up and left home. I am
> tempted. What is the general view on this?

Do you think that what is essentially a slow cooker or crockpot is worth
80 pounds? That's what, about $160.00 American or more? I would rather
just hunt down some small batch recipes for a few jars of whatever type
of jam I wanted to eat. YMMV
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-.../product/12613
>
> I don't make big amounts since the children grew up and left home. I am
> tempted. What is the general view on this?

I don't usually like products designed to do specific things like this.
Although I don't currently make jam (don't eat enough of it to warrant
making it), I made a lot of it as a kid and a young adult and I didn't have
any sort of special equipment. Jam is very easy to make! I can't see
spending money on something like this.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
waz waz is offline

I had a look on ebay and kept getting bread makers turns out some have a Jam
making setting I googled one of these models came up with instruction manual
and it does give a basic recipe and doesn't look much harder to do???If you
want to try a small unit this may be better as you have 2 uses for it.

I cut and pasted their instructions below

JAMS

Ingredient Crushed Fresh Strawberries or Other Types of Fruit 3 cups

Sugar 1 cup

Lemon Juice 2 tbsp

Powered Pectin 1 pack (50g or 3 Fl. oz.)

Use Setting 11

FOR OTHER JAMS, FOLLOW THE SAME BASIC RECIPE, ONLY SUBSTITUTE THE DESIRED
FRESH FRUIT INGREDIENT.

METHOD

1 Measure the ingredients into baking pan.

2 Insert the baking pan securely into unit, close lid.

3 Select #11

4 Push start button.

5 The Breadmaker will beep 3 times &the display will flash "END" when the
jam is done.

6 Using oven mitts, remove pan from unit,

Copied from :
http://www.palsonic.com.au/customer_...er/pab3600.pdf

Waz from oz

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-.../product/12613
>
> I don't make big amounts since the children grew up and left home. I am
> tempted. What is the general view on this?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-.../product/12613
>
> I don't make big amounts since the children grew up and left home. I am
> tempted. What is the general view on this?

Hey, O --
Sounds like one more single-use appliance to clutter up the place. You
want a smaller batch of jam since the children abandoned you (the little
ingrates!), just make half a batch in a kettle on the stove. My
tuppence worth.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-.../product/12613
>>
>> I don't make big amounts since the children grew up and left home. I am
>> tempted. What is the general view on this?
>>

> Do you think that what is essentially a slow cooker or crockpot is
> worth 80 pounds? That's what, about $160.00 American or more? I would
> rather just hunt down some small batch recipes for a few jars of
> whatever type of jam I wanted to eat. YMMV

Well, I think it does a wee bit more than a slow cooker, but I do take your
point George.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-.../product/12613
>>
>> I don't make big amounts since the children grew up and left home.
>> I am tempted. What is the general view on this?

> Hey, O --
> Sounds like one more single-use appliance to clutter up the place.
> You want a smaller batch of jam since the children abandoned you (the
> little ingrates!), just make half a batch in a kettle on the stove.
> My tuppence worth.

Thanks Barb

Posted to rec.food.preserving

waz wrote:
> I had a look on ebay and kept getting bread makers turns out some
> have a Jam making setting I googled one of these models came up with
> instruction manual and it does give a basic recipe and doesn't look
> much harder to do???If you want to try a small unit this may be
> better as you have 2 uses for it.
> I cut and pasted their instructions below
>
> JAMS
>
> Ingredient Crushed Fresh Strawberries or Other Types of Fruit 3 cups
>
> Sugar 1 cup
>
> Lemon Juice 2 tbsp
>
> Powered Pectin 1 pack (50g or 3 Fl. oz.)
>
> Use Setting 11
>
> FOR OTHER JAMS, FOLLOW THE SAME BASIC RECIPE, ONLY SUBSTITUTE THE
> DESIRED FRESH FRUIT INGREDIENT.
>
> METHOD
>
> 1 Measure the ingredients into baking pan.
>
> 2 Insert the baking pan securely into unit, close lid.
>
> 3 Select #11
>
> 4 Push start button.
>
> 5 The Breadmaker will beep 3 times &the display will flash "END" when
> the jam is done.
>
> 6 Using oven mitts, remove pan from unit,
>
> Copied from :
> http://www.palsonic.com.au/customer_...er/pab3600.pdf
>

> Waz from oz

Thanks Waz Although, it does juice extraction too..........

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-.../product/12613
>>
>> I don't make big amounts since the children grew up and left home. I am
>> tempted. What is the general view on this?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:
> waz wrote:
>> I had a look on ebay and kept getting bread makers turns out some
>> have a Jam making setting

>> Waz from oz
>>

> Thanks Waz Although, it does juice extraction too..........

Interesting - I wonder exactly what they mean by "juice extraction".
Can't be anything like a juicer. Maybe cooking the fruit in a basket, so
the clear juice drains through into the main cooking part? Much like a
small double boiler...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Dave Bell wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> waz wrote:
>>> I had a look on ebay and kept getting bread makers turns out some
>>> have a Jam making setting

>>> Waz from oz
>>>

>> Thanks Waz Although, it does juice extraction too..........

> Interesting - I wonder exactly what they mean by "juice extraction".
> Can't be anything like a juicer. Maybe cooking the fruit in a basket,
> so the clear juice drains through into the main cooking part? Much
> like a small double boiler...

Not sure, but without looking again, I am sure it said something about
steam........

Posted to rec.food.preserving

waz wrote:
> I had a look on ebay and kept getting bread makers turns out some
> have a Jam making setting

If you're going to do that, be sure to cover the bread pan with aluminum
foil or something (with a few slits to let out the steam), because the
jam will splatter all over the inside of the machine otherwise.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Dave Bell wrote:

> >> Thanks Waz Although, it does juice extraction too..........

> > Interesting - I wonder exactly what they mean by "juice extraction".
> > Can't be anything like a juicer. Maybe cooking the fruit in a basket,
> > so the clear juice drains through into the main cooking part? Much
> > like a small double boiler...
> >

> Not sure, but without looking again, I am sure it said something about
> steam........

"Juice Extraction * steams the fruit to remove the juice for jellies
(therešs no need to strain through a jelly bag);" sounds like the
Mehu-Liisa steam juicer method.

Hey, O ‹ watch the video. Observe that after she ladles the jam into
the jar and slops it on the outside of said jar (this is why Alex gave
us canning funnels) she commences to screw the lid on the jar without
bothering to wipe the jar clean. Whoops!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
on "A Prairie Home Companion," <http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
programs/2008/08/30/>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Dave Bell wrote:

>>> Interesting - I wonder exactly what they mean by "juice extraction".
>>> Can't be anything like a juicer. Maybe cooking the fruit in a
>>> basket, so the clear juice drains through into the main cooking
>>> part? Much like a small double boiler...
>>>

>> Not sure, but without looking again, I am sure it said something
>> about steam........

> "Juice Extraction * steams the fruit to remove the juice for jellies
> (therešs no need to strain through a jelly bag);" sounds like the
> Mehu-Liisa steam juicer method.

So, that is the equivalent of two gadgets then? <g>

> Hey, O < watch the video. Observe that after she ladles the jam into
> the jar and slops it on the outside of said jar (this is why Alex gave
> us canning funnels) she commences to screw the lid on the jar without
> bothering to wipe the jar clean. Whoops!

ewwwwwwwww ickyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it did say, in the blurb, that she hadn't made jam before))) I
believe her)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > "Juice Extraction * steams the fruit to remove the juice for jellies
> > (therešs no need to strain through a jelly bag);" sounds like the
> > Mehu-Liisa steam juicer method.

> So, that is the equivalent of two gadgets then? <g>

Y'know, O, by Jove, I do believe you're right!! And the Mehu-Liisa
doesn't come cheap. I'm thinking you should probably get this. Looks
like you should be prepared for poorly written instructions, however.

> Well, it did say, in the blurb, that she hadn't made jam before))) I
> believe her)

Ah, I forgot that part.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, and here's the link to my appearance
on "A Prairie Home Companion," <http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
programs/2008/08/30/>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> "Juice Extraction * steams the fruit to remove the juice for jellies
>>> (therešs no need to strain through a jelly bag);" sounds like the
>>> Mehu-Liisa steam juicer method.

>> So, that is the equivalent of two gadgets then? <g>

> Y'know, O, by Jove, I do believe you're right!! And the Mehu-Liisa
> doesn't come cheap. I'm thinking you should probably get this. Looks
> like you should be prepared for poorly written instructions, however.

Hmmm probably. I may have to involve you in this, should I decide to
purchase the aforementioned bit of kit)

>> Well, it did say, in the blurb, that she hadn't made jam before)))
>> I believe her)

> Ah, I forgot that part.

<g> I don't suppose you want one then?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>>In article >,

>>>So, that is the equivalent of two gadgets then? <g>

>>Y'know, O, by Jove, I do believe you're right!! And the Mehu-Liisa
>>doesn't come cheap. I'm thinking you should probably get this. Looks
>>like you should be prepared for poorly written instructions, however.

> Hmmm probably. I may have to involve you in this, should I decide to
> purchase the aforementioned bit of kit)
>

>>>Well, it did say, in the blurb, that she hadn't made jam before)))
>>>I believe her)

>>Ah, I forgot that part.

> <g> I don't suppose you want one then?

The steam juicers are available in many european countries. I bought
one in Poland, but it is aluminum, I have seen older German ones in
enamaled metal. Look around in stores selling used stuff as well.
Certainly they have an important, if limited, use.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Y'know, O, by Jove, I do believe you're right!! And the Mehu-Liisa
>>> doesn't come cheap. I'm thinking you should probably get this. Looks
>>> like you should be prepared for poorly written instructions,
>>> however.

>> Hmmm probably. I may have to involve you in this, should I decide
>> to purchase the aforementioned bit of kit)

>>> Ah, I forgot that part.

>> <g> I don't suppose you want one then?
>>

> The steam juicers are available in many european countries. I bought
> one in Poland, but it is aluminum, I have seen older German ones in
> enamaled metal. Look around in stores selling used stuff as well.
> Certainly they have an important, if limited, use.

Indeed, thank you, Ellen.