Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need chili for chili dogs (coneys)

I've a hankering for a chili dog, but I can' seem to find a proper
chili. In local stores, I once was able to locate a chili especially
for chili dogs, and it was very good..but it is not stocked anymore.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerome Ranch wrote:
> I've a hankering for a chili dog, but I can' seem to find a proper
> chili. In local stores, I once was able to locate a chili especially
> for chili dogs, and it was very good..but it is not stocked anymore.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Jerry

There's a "Fireman's" brand they've been remaindering at one of the local
supermarkets that would probably be good for chili dogs, although not the
world's greatest chili, of course. It's sort of nice, in a very bland way.
At least it doesn't have that "mystery meat" thing going on, like most
canned meat stewish things. It's just ground beef. Actually, it's the only
canned chili I've ever bought or--to my knowledge--eaten, so I can't make
comparisons. Usually I eat my own chili, which contains hand-chopped meat
and homemade chili powder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Jerome Ranch wrote:
> I've a hankering for a chili dog, but I can' seem to find a proper
> chili. In local stores, I once was able to locate a chili especially
> for chili dogs, and it was very good..but it is not stocked anymore.
>
> Any suggestions?

Chili for a dog is usually a lot simpler than a full-fledged chili.
Something like:
ground beef
a little chopped onion and garlic
quite a bit of ketchup (or tomato paste and water)
a little mustard
Cook veggies till tender, turn up heat, add meat, s&p and
condiments. Cook to desired consistency, adding water if necessary.
Chili powder, oregano and cumin are actually optional for this purpose,
imho. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I was thinking of a Sloppy Joes type ground meat prep, but that's too
sweet for chili dogs.

I agree, its bland and simple, and ground beef.
Jerry

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:26:30 GMT, Jerome Ranch >
wrote:

>I've a hankering for a chili dog, but I can' seem to find a proper
>chili. In local stores, I once was able to locate a chili especially
>for chili dogs, and it was very good..but it is not stocked anymore.
>
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks
>Jerry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've a hankering for a chili dog, but I can' seem to find a proper
>chili. In local stores, I once was able to locate a chili especially
>for chili dogs, and it was very good..but it is not stocked anymore.

Where are you? As your message is on GMT am I right guessing you are
in the UK?

If so, go to http://www.peppersbypost.biz

They sell many varieties including the worlds hottest - Dorset Naja.

Steve

http://www.easynn.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> Hormel, Dennisons, or Wolf chilis - all WITHOUT beans.

Just last week I tried Stagg Chili, someone had mentioned it
here. Is that a comparable brand?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:32:28 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:21:36 +0100,
>wrote:
>
>> Where are you? As your message is on GMT am I right guessing you are
>> in the UK?
>>
>> If so, go to
http://www.peppersbypost.biz

>> They sell many varieties including the worlds hottest - Dorset Naja.

>The OP means chilli (or chili) - as in meat, tomato, and shile
>powder "stew". Not "chile", the pepper.

If you look up any of those spellings you will discover that they are
alternatives, interchangeable and free of copyright

Steve

http://www.easynn.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:01:02 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote
>>
>>> Hormel, Dennisons, or Wolf chilis - all WITHOUT beans.

>> Just last week I tried Stagg Chili, someone had mentioned it
>> here. Is that a comparable brand?

> Stagg brand (and Denison's) is illegal here in Texas, so I'll
> plead the 5th. Wolf has been lobbying the State to declare Wolf
> chili the Official State Dish of Texas for decades.
>
> Stagg beanless chili is made with real meat, so that would make it
> too fancy (and lumpy) for chili dogs.

Debatable. It was like soup. Ain't no hot dog bun going to
hold that on. And I had to jazz it up with extra chili powder
and cumin to taste like anything. Yes, there was the occasional
dice of meat.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Damsel in dis Dress > said:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:29:14 GMT, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:

> >Anybody remember the Hormel Chili-Stuffed Dogs circa 1984-1989?
> >It was a frank with a hole drilled through it lengthwise, and had
> >chili pumped into it. Those were actually pretty good - not too
> >much chili - just the right proportions. The chili would always
> >sqwertz out the end.

> Yup, I remember those. I think I remember liking them, but I'm not
> sure.

Frank-n-Stuffs! Oh, I loved 'em! I'd forgotten all about them
though. I wanted to make sure I had the right name, so I googled
and came up with this site, very interesting:

http://www.inthe80s.com/food/f.shtml

On this particular page, they also mention Ghirardelli's Flicks,
another product I miss...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:34:11 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:02:14 +0100,
>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:32:28 GMT, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>The OP means chilli (or chili) - as in meat, tomato, and shile
>>>powder "stew". Not "chile", the pepper.
>>>

>> If you look up any of those spellings you will discover that they are
>> alternatives, interchangeable and free of copyright

>Chilli = Chili = a dish of seasoned meat in a sauce
>Chile = Capsicums/peppers. Or the country in South America
>
>Copyright?

Some commercial food supplier tried to claim copyright on the word
"Chili" for a tined meal they produced. They failed because the word
was, and still is, just an alternative spelling.

>Still, the OP was talking about the former, not the latter.

OK, I now realise the mistake.

>We can argue that if you'd like, but we've been over (and over) the
>definition of chili/chile too many times already.

There's nothing to argue about, they are all words that mean the same
thing. Any of the words can mean the hot varieties of Capsicum.

Have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillies

It starts with:-

"The chili pepper, chile pepper, or chilli pepper, or simply chilli,
chili or chile, is the fruit of the plant Capsicum from the nightshade
family, Solanaceae. The name comes from Nahuatl via the Spanish word
chile. These terms usually refer to the smaller, hotter types of
capsicum; the mild larger types are called bell pepper (simply pepper
in Britain and Ireland and capsicum in Australia)."

The article may all be wrong but I suspect it is correct.

Steve

http://www.easynn.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've just moved to near Detroit, where they eat coneys. From Chicago,
where we know something about hot dogs.

From what I understand, just like a Chicago dog doesn't have ketchup, a
Detroit coney doesn't have meat in the chili.

I'll eat a few more coneys at different places, in the name of
ethnographic research, but the ones I've had, ain't nothing to a Chicago
Vienna, or even a Nathan's NY style.

I think to be authentic, you'd just buy the cheapest meatless canned
chili you could find. Either that, or make a batch of real chili, get
some good bread and a good sausage, and just don't call it a coney.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here is a link for Koegel's meatless chili sauce that famous here in
Detroit and been told they ship out of state now.

Been eating this for 26 years now and wouldn't touch the meat sauces now
except for A & W which on Google you can find excellent clones.

The coney island restaurants here also serve a loose meat coney which is
a dog with meatless chili then topped loose meat which is very simple to
make at home also and was shown on TV series RoseAnn.

B/F has been working in a coney island/banquet restaurant over 15 years
and a few of celebrities who have stopped in includes couple of the cast
of Full House, actor Jeff Daniels, band Aerosmith, and an once one time
member of WWF.

http://www.koegelmeats.com/products/...?hot+dog+chili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've a hankering for a chili dog, but I can' seem to find a proper
>chili. In local stores, I once was able to locate a chili especially
>for chili dogs, and it was very good..but it is not stocked anymore.
>
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks
>Jerry

I like Wolf Brand for such occasions.

--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Jerome Ranch wrote:
> > I've a hankering for a chili dog, but I can' seem to find a proper
> > chili. In local stores, I once was able to locate a chili especially
> > for chili dogs, and it was very good..but it is not stocked anymore.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> > Thanks
> > Jerry

Plain old canned beanless chili is my favorite for really fast, down &
dirty chili dawgs. Usually there's a store brand, otherwise dennisons
or hormel makes one. Sometime I add extra burger to it. Gotta be
beanless chili, tho.

Aloha!

Barb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> On this particular page, they also mention Ghirardelli's Flicks,
> another product I miss...

Yeah, flick your chicky... or is that chiclette...

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb said...

>> Jerome Ranch wrote:
>> > I've a hankering for a chili dog, but I can' seem to find a proper
>> > chili. In local stores, I once was able to locate a chili

especially
>> > for chili dogs, and it was very good..but it is not stocked anymore.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> > Thanks
>> > Jerry

> Plain old canned beanless chili is my favorite for really fast, down &
> dirty chili dawgs. Usually there's a store brand, otherwise dennisons
> or hormel makes one. Sometime I add extra burger to it. Gotta be
> beanless chili, tho.
>
> Aloha!
>
> Barb

Sorry to piggyback on your post.

What's with chili on hotdogs?!? For centuries folks have gotten along
fine with sauerkraut, mustard and relish.

Where and when did chili meet the hotdog and bun? And why? It sounds
almost as distatesful a tuna fish and bean burrito!

Is it the lemmings behaviorial syndrome at work?!?

Giants: 7 Dallas: 0

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Stagg brand (and Denison's) is illegal here in Texas, so I'll
> plead the 5th. Wolf has been lobbying the State to declare Wolf
> chili the Official State Dish of Texas for decades.

The local grocery store starting carrying Wolf chili recently. I was
prepared to like it, but was unimpressed.

Still the only canned chili I can stand is Chilli Man, even though
they've degraded the recipe significantly over the years.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Barb said...

> especially

> > Plain old canned beanless chili is my favorite for really fast, down &
> > dirty chili dawgs. Usually there's a store brand, otherwise dennisons
> > or hormel makes one. Sometime I add extra burger to it. Gotta be
> > beanless chili, tho.
> >
> > Aloha!
> >
> > Barb

> Sorry to piggyback on your post.
>
> What's with chili on hotdogs?!? For centuries folks have gotten along
> fine with sauerkraut, mustard and relish.

How old are you, 10? This is the first time you've heard of a ****ing
chili dog? Are you stupid or just plain dumb?

> Where and when did chili meet the hotdog and bun? And why? It sounds
> almost as distatesful a tuna fish and bean burrito!

This coming from someone that was astounded by Bumblebee tuna being
oil-packed. Heh...

> Is it the lemmings behaviorial syndrome at work?!?

No, it's just your usual ignorance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Anybody remember the Hormel Chili-Stuffed Dogs circa 1984-1989?
> It was a frank with a hole drilled through it lengthwise, and had
> chili pumped into it. Those were actually pretty good - not too
> much chili - just the right proportions. The chili would always
> sqwertz out the end.

Frankenstuffs! I seem to remember one stuffed with cheese, as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerome Ranch wrote:
> I've a hankering for a chili dog, but I can' seem to find a proper
> chili. In local stores, I once was able to locate a chili especially
> for chili dogs, and it was very good..but it is not stocked anymore.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Jerry

Try this one. We call it "Greek sauce" in NW PA, used on dogs and
burgers (and omelets!).

1 pound lean ground beef
1 med. onion, minced
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1 small can tomato sauce
1 Cup water

Simmer at least 2 hours (or all day in the crock).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Barb said...

>> especially

>> > Plain old canned beanless chili is my favorite for really fast,
>> > down & dirty chili dawgs. Usually there's a store brand, otherwise
>> > dennisons or hormel makes one. Sometime I add extra burger to it.
>> > Gotta be beanless chili, tho.
>> >
>> > Aloha!
>> >
>> > Barb

>> Sorry to piggyback on your post.
>>
>> What's with chili on hotdogs?!? For centuries folks have gotten along
>> fine with sauerkraut, mustard and relish.

> How old are you, 10? This is the first time you've heard of a ****ing
> chili dog? Are you stupid or just plain dumb?
>

>> Where and when did chili meet the hotdog and bun? And why? It sounds
>> almost as distatesful a tuna fish and bean burrito!

> This coming from someone that was astounded by Bumblebee tuna being
> oil-packed. Heh...
>

>> Is it the lemmings behaviorial syndrome at work?!?

> No, it's just your usual ignorance.

Tellyawhat... take this broom and stick it up your ass so you can sweep
the floor on your way out!

PLONK!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Oct 2006 23:59:11 -0700, "projectile vomit chick"
> wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>> Anybody remember the Hormel Chili-Stuffed Dogs circa 1984-1989?
>> It was a frank with a hole drilled through it lengthwise, and had
>> chili pumped into it. Those were actually pretty good - not too
>> much chili - just the right proportions. The chili would always
>> sqwertz out the end.

>Frankenstuffs! I seem to remember one stuffed with cheese, as well.

Yeah, I was actually looking for those this past summer. Cheesy hot
dogs were pretty good. Now I don't eat hot dogs at all. I'm going to
try one of the Kosher brands, because (I hope) they don't have a lot
of strange crud in them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Sorry to piggyback on your post.
>
> What's with chili on hotdogs?!? For centuries folks have gotten along
> fine with sauerkraut, mustard and relish.
>
> Where and when did chili meet the hotdog and bun? And why? It sounds
> almost as distatesful a tuna fish and bean burrito!
>
> Is it the lemmings behaviorial syndrome at work?!?
>
> Andy

Apparently, 17% of the US population are Chili dawg lemmings-- YUM!
And dude, sauerkraut didn't even make the list. /shakes her pretty
lemming head at YOU! /tease

>From wikipedia:

"In the United States, the Hot Dog Council ran a poll in 2005, which,
according to their press release found mustard the most popular
condiment (32 percent). "Twenty-three percent of Americans said they
preferred ketchup. [...] Chili came in third at 17 percent, followed by
relish (9 percent) and onions (7 percent). Southerners showed the
strongest preference for Chili, while Midwesterners showed the greatest
affinity for ketchup. Nationwide, however, mustard prevailed."

Chili seems to have met dog in New York. Excerpt From:
http://www.whatscookingamerica.net/H...og/HDIndex.htm

"1867 - Charles Feltman (1841-1910), a German butcher, opened up the
first Coney Island hot dog stand in Brooklyn, New York. "

And it was good!

Oh, Coney dog,
let me feast my eyes
upon thy slender frame;
all smothered up with chili sauce,
"Sumptuous" is thy name.

Savoury is this coney dog,
waiting on my plate;
onions heaped into a pile,
tempting their own fate.

Tasty mustard on the bun,
sharpens yet the taste;
and when your body, I devour,
I shall not one morsel waste.

Oh, coney dog, come closer now.
I know your aroma well.
My taste buds tingle, tantalized,
by your tempting smell.

Goodbye, sweet friend.
I love you much,
but if I'd had my druther,
since I have nearly eaten you,
I wish I had another.

by Steve Hodgin

Aloha!

Barb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2006 23:59:11 -0700, "projectile vomit chick"
> > wrote:
>

>> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody remember the Hormel Chili-Stuffed Dogs circa 1984-1989?
>>> It was a frank with a hole drilled through it lengthwise, and had
>>> chili pumped into it. Those were actually pretty good - not too
>>> much chili - just the right proportions. The chili would always
>>> sqwertz out the end.
>>>

>> Frankenstuffs! I seem to remember one stuffed with cheese, as well.
>>

> Yeah, I was actually looking for those this past summer. Cheesy hot
> dogs were pretty good. Now I don't eat hot dogs at all. I'm going to
> try one of the Kosher brands, because (I hope) they don't have a lot
> of strange crud in them.

Have you tried Nathan's? I don't think they're kosher but they taste
like the hot dogs of my long ago youth. The kosher Sinai 48 dogs at
Costco are "ok". If you live in Washington state there's a local brand,
Hempler's, that's pretty decent.

JD
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:29:36 GMT, JD > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> Now I don't eat hot dogs at all. I'm going to
>> try one of the Kosher brands, because (I hope) they don't have a lot
>> of strange crud in them.
>>

>Have you tried Nathan's? I don't think they're kosher but they taste
>like the hot dogs of my long ago youth. The kosher Sinai 48 dogs at
>Costco are "ok". If you live in Washington state there's a local brand,
>Hempler's, that's pretty decent.

I'm in Minnesota. I suspect I'll be able to find Nathan's or Hebrew
National. I just haven't really looked yet. Hot dogs are best cooked
on a grill, and we don't grill in cold weather. (Yeah, we're wimps!)

Thanks for the recommendations!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb said...

> Apparently, 17% of the US population are Chili dawg lemmings-- YUM!
> And dude, sauerkraut didn't even make the list. /shakes her pretty
> lemming head at YOU! /tease

Barb,

Thanks for the background info and the cute poem. It's distressing that
sauerkraut didn't make the list. Clearly something is amiss.

Unlike New York City and Chicago, Philadelphia just isn't a hot dog town. I
might have to actually cross the Delaware river into New Jersey. Folks over
there put all kinds of crud on their hot dogs!

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress said...

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:45:06 GMT, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
>>Nathan's has a skinless with cheese that isn't bad. It's hard to
>>go wrong with an all-beef hot dog, dressed simply.

> So, I should avoid dressing it in chiffon or satin? Cotton's best,
> maybe?

Definitely stay away from nylon. It doesn't rip.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Barb" > wrote:

> Plain old canned beanless chili is my favorite for really fast, down &
> dirty chili dawgs. Usually there's a store brand, otherwise dennisons
> or hormel makes one. Sometime I add extra burger to it. Gotta be
> beanless chili, tho.

Gotta have beans for me. In fact, since the hot dog already has meat, I
can skip the meat in the chili:

http://www.swfinefoods.com/products/...15-5BnCiZst.pd

Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Barb said...
>
> > Apparently, 17% of the US population are Chili dawg lemmings-- YUM!
> > And dude, sauerkraut didn't even make the list. /shakes her pretty
> > lemming head at YOU! /tease

> Barb,
>
> Thanks for the background info and the cute poem. It's distressing that
> sauerkraut didn't make the list. Clearly something is amiss.
>
> Unlike New York City and Chicago, Philadelphia just isn't a hot dog town. I
> might have to actually cross the Delaware river into New Jersey. Folks over
> there put all kinds of crud on their hot dogs!
>
> All the best,
>
> Andy

You're most welcome, Andy. =)

Speaking of all kinds of crud on a hotdog... To the original poster:
I was thinking that if you added a few tablespoonsful of sweet pickle
relish and catsup to a can of beanless chili, it would make a pretty
good coney island sauce. Most of the recipes I found on the net called
for sugar and sweet spices like cinnamon in the coney chili sauce.

Aloha!

Barb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Nathan's has a skinless with cheese that isn't bad. It's hard to
> go wrong with an all-beef hot dog, dressed simply.

I've never been a super big fan of beef dogs. In the past I prefered
the pork-based ones, particularly Oscar Meyer. Unfortunately, most
producers now make their "regular" hotdogs with lots of
"mechanically-separated chicken" or other non-pork meats.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, JD > said:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > On 23 Oct 2006 23:59:11 -0700, "projectile vomit chick"
> > > wrote:

> >> Frankenstuffs! I seem to remember one stuffed with cheese, as well.

> > Yeah, I was actually looking for those this past summer. Cheesy hot
> > dogs were pretty good. Now I don't eat hot dogs at all. I'm going to
> > try one of the Kosher brands, because (I hope) they don't have a lot
> > of strange crud in them.

IIRC, Hebrew National was a top pick by Consumer Reports, about
15 years ago. Yes, I've let my subscription lapse. :-)

> Have you tried Nathan's? I don't think they're kosher but they taste
> like the hot dogs of my long ago youth. The kosher Sinai 48 dogs at
> Costco are "ok". If you live in Washington state there's a local brand,
> Hempler's, that's pretty decent.

She doesn't, but I do -- I hadn't heard of them. What store(s) should
I be checking? TIA...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Andy <q> said:

> Unlike New York City and Chicago, Philadelphia just isn't a hot dog town.

Hey, you've got cheesesteaks for Heaven's sake! Be grateful!

Jani (Missing her Central PA pizza/cheesesteak joint...)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On 24 Oct 2006 17:46:31 GMT, Default User wrote:
>
> > I've never been a super big fan of beef dogs. In the past I prefered
> > the pork-based ones, particularly Oscar Meyer. Unfortunately, most
> > producers now make their "regular" hotdogs with lots of
> > "mechanically-separated chicken" or other non-pork meats.

> The worst beef hot dog is better than the best chicken dog, IMO.

Well, yeah. Ain't that what I said? What I like are pork dogs.

> There a reason why 1 is $.68/package and the other $2.99. The
> texture of the chicken things are nasty.

Bah, Oscar Mayer regulars aren't 68 cents, that's for sure. They used
to be be good dogs in the old days. My research this morning seems to
indicate they're made with turkey and pork, not chicken, but still are
a shadow of their former goodness.

> And if you've ever seen an Advanced Meat Recovery System in
> action, you might have a new perspective on those chicken dogs
> (and Vienna Sausages, ugh!).

I don't care how they're made. Chicken dogs are bad.

> A good all purpose, value-dog is the Ball Park Franks made from
> pork, beef, and chicken (in that order). They're often on sale
> for $.99/lb around these here parts. Or the 2.5lb package for
> $2.99.

I've tried those, not to my taste. Oscar Mayer had some sort of
"original recipe" dogs, but I haven't seen them in the stores recently.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User said...

> I've tried those, not to my taste. Oscar Mayer had some sort of
> "original recipe" dogs, but I haven't seen them in the stores recently.

Oscar Meyer and Ball Park have the bite consistency of biting into warm
cream cheese. It's disgusting. There's no resistance. You really don't even
need to actually chew those dogs, unless you add something as a topping
that has crunch to it. Maybe even chili might add more crunch!?!?

It's either nathan's or hebrnew national. YMMV.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:23:07 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Default User said...
>
>> I've tried those, not to my taste. Oscar Mayer had some sort of
>> "original recipe" dogs, but I haven't seen them in the stores recently.

>It's either nathan's or hebrnew national. YMMV.
>
>Andy

A few years ago, on eGullet, they had a hot dog tasting to determine
the best hot dog. I think the consensus was that Usingers and
Sabretts were the top choices.

I have had Usingers, and they are fantastic. A lot of snap when you
bite into them..and really good taste. Haven't tried Sabretts yet,
but I see them in some markets.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:23:07 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Default User said...
>>
>>> I've tried those, not to my taste. Oscar Mayer had some sort of
>>> "original recipe" dogs, but I haven't seen them in the stores

recently.

>>It's either nathan's or hebrnew national. YMMV.
>>
>>Andy

> A few years ago, on eGullet, they had a hot dog tasting to determine
> the best hot dog. I think the consensus was that Usingers and
> Sabretts were the top choices.
>
> I have had Usingers, and they are fantastic. A lot of snap when you
> bite into them..and really good taste. Haven't tried Sabretts yet,
> but I see them in some markets.
>
> Christine

Christine,

) There are the Sabrett hot dog stands in NYC on every other corner
with the yellow and blue umbrellas. As a tourist, there's nothing so
astounding as witnessing their craftsmanship in the assembly of a hot
dog, the master stroke being the closing sound of "clank" of the last
steam door as they swifty serve you and take your money.

It's almost theatrical. It kinda/sorta defines New York City street
culture.

I love NYC. They've got 1,000,000 of everything! I'd move there if it
was's so crowded.

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nope In des moines IA
and a chicago native, and lived onthe east coast too

... so I know about hot dogs

Jerry