Posted to rec.food.cooking
bulka bulka is offline

Default Need chili for chili dogs (coneys)

I've just moved to near Detroit, where they eat coneys. From Chicago,
where we know something about hot dogs.

From what I understand, just like a Chicago dog doesn't have ketchup, a
Detroit coney doesn't have meat in the chili.

I'll eat a few more coneys at different places, in the name of
ethnographic research, but the ones I've had, ain't nothing to a Chicago
Vienna, or even a Nathan's NY style.

I think to be authentic, you'd just buy the cheapest meatless canned
chili you could find. Either that, or make a batch of real chili, get
some good bread and a good sausage, and just don't call it a coney.