Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk is offline

Default Need chili for chili dogs (coneys)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:34:11 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:02:14 +0100,
>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:32:28 GMT, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>The OP means chilli (or chili) - as in meat, tomato, and shile
>>>powder "stew". Not "chile", the pepper.
>>>

>> If you look up any of those spellings you will discover that they are
>> alternatives, interchangeable and free of copyright

>Chilli = Chili = a dish of seasoned meat in a sauce
>Chile = Capsicums/peppers. Or the country in South America
>
>Copyright?

Some commercial food supplier tried to claim copyright on the word
"Chili" for a tined meal they produced. They failed because the word
was, and still is, just an alternative spelling.

>Still, the OP was talking about the former, not the latter.

OK, I now realise the mistake.

>We can argue that if you'd like, but we've been over (and over) the
>definition of chili/chile too many times already.

There's nothing to argue about, they are all words that mean the same
thing. Any of the words can mean the hot varieties of Capsicum.

Have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillies

It starts with:-

"The chili pepper, chile pepper, or chilli pepper, or simply chilli,
chili or chile, is the fruit of the plant Capsicum from the nightshade
family, Solanaceae. The name comes from Nahuatl via the Spanish word
chile. These terms usually refer to the smaller, hotter types of
capsicum; the mild larger types are called bell pepper (simply pepper
in Britain and Ireland and capsicum in Australia)."

The article may all be wrong but I suspect it is correct.

Steve

http://www.easynn.com