Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Omelet funny

Hi All,

Okay, I have burned butter twice and eggplant
once. Here is a beginners mistake I bet you guys
have NEVER come across.

Here goes, but first not jokes, unless they are funny.
I am learning to cook omelets. I learned to wait
to fold the omelet till the top is tacky. If not,
the flap will rip. So far so good.

What I missed was giving the flat a push once it is
folded to make sure the two sides stick together.
So, when I scooped the omelet out of the pan and
put it on the plate, when I went to pull the
spatula out from under the omelet, the bottom
of the omelet stuck to the spatula and the
omelet unfurled and dumped the contents onto the
plate. And here is the rub, it took me two omelets
to figure it out!

Never quit!

-T

Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/09/2013 02:48 PM, Todd wrote:
giving the flat

flap
Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Here is my procedure for filled omelets. Cook omelet til almost done,
spread the filling on half, add cheese last (that helps it stick
together) fold so top goes over edge of bottom (might need to arrange
filling so that it is on slightly less than half. Turn heat down so
bottom doesn't burn while filling heats and cheese melts. Use egg slice
to lift it onto plate while lightly touching top of omelet with other
hand (mostly so I don't lose the whole thing due to a slide). Unfilled
omelets I don't usually fold until I am taking it out of the pan. Sauté
ingredients in pan, spread ingredients evenly in pan, pour the egg
mixture over top and cook until done If I was making frittata I
would use smaller pan and more ingredients and egg mix to make it a bit
thicker (in height) and cook slower with a lid.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Ozgirl" wrote:

If I was making frittata I
would use smaller pan and more ingredients and egg mix to make it a bit
thicker (in height) and cook slower with a lid.

With frittata, I cook the veggies or whatever in a 10 inch cast iron
pan, then pour the egg/cream mix on top. I let that cook a few minutes,
then put cheese on top and slide the pan under a hot broiler for five
minutes or so. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes, serve.

I like to do this with mushroom and grape tomatoes especially.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yes, I like the crusty top too, sometimes I do frittatas in the oven and
I have a top element in there as well as a bottom so can turn that on
near the end. I have many uses for frittata Jasmine sometimes has
some on a sandwich for school. Easier for her to handle that way as she
is not good with eating softer food and can't use a knife, just a fork
or spoon. She tends to eat soft food by grabbing handfuls and
shovelling it in, not a pretty sight, especially at school.

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news

--
"What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority
by means

Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Yes, I like the crusty top too, sometimes I do frittatas in the oven and I
have a top element in there as well as a bottom so can turn that on near
the end. I have many uses for frittata Jasmine sometimes has some on a
sandwich for school. Easier for her to handle that way as she is not good
with eating softer food and can't use a knife, just a fork or spoon. She
tends to eat soft food by grabbing handfuls and shovelling it in, not a
pretty sight, especially at school.

The best thing about them is that there is no set recipe. Use anything you
want and they always turn out good. :-)

Cheri

Old 11-04-2013, 12:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Yes, I like the crusty top too, sometimes I do frittatas in the oven
and I have a top element in there as well as a bottom so can turn that
on near the end. I have many uses for frittata Jasmine sometimes
has some on a sandwich for school. Easier for her to handle that way
as she is not good with eating softer food and can't use a knife, just
a fork or spoon. She tends to eat soft food by grabbing handfuls and
shovelling it in, not a pretty sight, especially at school.

The best thing about them is that there is no set recipe. Use anything
you
want and they always turn out good. :-)

Cheri

--------------

My favourite way of cooking

Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote:

If I was making frittata I
would use smaller pan and more ingredients and egg mix to make it a bit
thicker (in height) and cook slower with a lid.

With frittata, I cook the veggies or whatever in a 10 inch cast iron
pan, then pour the egg/cream mix on top. I let that cook a few minutes,
then put cheese on top and slide the pan under a hot broiler for five
minutes or so. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes, serve.

I like to do this with mushroom and grape tomatoes especially.

PP

I only ever tried a frittata once. Disaster! I had just seen some chef
make one on TV. I think it might have been Maryanne Esposito. Looked so
easy when she put the plate over the skillet then flipped it over and it
came right out on the plate. But when I tried it? The plate slipped, flew
away and crashed onto the floor. The frittata slipped out of the pan and
landed on my feet. So... Not so good.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 14:48:36 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Okay, I have burned butter twice and eggplant
once. Here is a beginners mistake I bet you guys
have NEVER come across.

Here goes, but first not jokes, unless they are funny.
I am learning to cook omelets. I learned to wait
to fold the omelet till the top is tacky. If not,
the flap will rip. So far so good.

What I missed was giving the flat a push once it is
folded to make sure the two sides stick together.
So, when I scooped the omelet out of the pan and
put it on the plate, when I went to pull the
spatula out from under the omelet, the bottom
of the omelet stuck to the spatula and the
omelet unfurled and dumped the contents onto the
plate. And here is the rub, it took me two omelets
to figure it out!

Never quit!

-T

I use a large non-stick pan with low sides. 4 to 6 eggs. Lightly oil
pan, heating oil. Pour in meats and veggies if I want them precooked,
then add eggs. Cook till set then give a sharp twist loosening the
eggs. Then flip. while this side cooks add cheese to half the
omelet. Slide out on to plat and fold over as the cheesed side rests
on plate. Serves 2 to 4 people. I never use a spatula.

If I do not want the fillin' pre-cooked then I add them at the same
time I add the cheese.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 17:25:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news

With frittata, I cook the veggies or whatever in a 10 inch cast iron
pan, then pour the egg/cream mix on top. I let that cook a few minutes,
then put cheese on top and slide the pan under a hot broiler for five
minutes or so. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes, serve.

I like to do this with mushroom and grape tomatoes especially.

PP

I only ever tried a frittata once. Disaster! I had just seen some chef
make one on TV. I think it might have been Maryanne Esposito. Looked so
easy when she put the plate over the skillet then flipped it over and it
came right out on the plate. But when I tried it? The plate slipped, flew
away and crashed onto the floor. The frittata slipped out of the pan and
landed on my feet. So... Not so good.

I would *never* try to flip a frittata or or turn it out onto a plate!
That's a recipe for disaster. I always do it using Peppermint
Patootie's method as described above. Slice the frittata into 6 or 8
servings (just like a pizza) and serve.

Doris

Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Yes, I like the crusty top too, sometimes I do frittatas in the oven and
I have a top element in there as well as a bottom so can turn that on
near the end. I have many uses for frittata Jasmine sometimes has some
on a sandwich for school. Easier for her to handle that way as she is not
good with eating softer food and can't use a knife, just a fork or spoon.
She tends to eat soft food by grabbing handfuls and shovelling it in, not
a pretty sight, especially at school.

The best thing about them is that there is no set recipe. Use anything you
want and they always turn out good. :-)

Cheri

My favourite way of cooking

Mine too...and easy.

Cheri

Broccoli Omelet Brooklyn1 General Cooking 5 19-06-2013 03:21 PM
Omelet A La Duchesse kuyabayu Recipes 1 16-06-2009 07:44 PM
Probably the best omelet I've ever had Pierre Barbecue 0 12-08-2006 02:59 AM
Omelet Terry General Cooking 15 03-04-2006 11:12 PM
Big Shrimp Omelet Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-08-2005 03:50 PM