Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Omelet

I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
sour cream.
Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
> sour cream.
> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

I've had such an omelet at IHOP many times. It's great--try stuffing
it with hash-browns also, for a true gall bladder blowout!

--r3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
> sour cream.
> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

A "common" omelet is simply eggs cooked and folded over, with some cheese
sprinkled in the middle (I'll have to consult with Julia about this). I
like mine with bacon, spinach and brie. I see no sense in topping an omelet
with salsa unless you just wish to hide the taste of everything else.

But then again, I hate salsa in any way, shape or form. Again, just my
opinion.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

jmcquown wrote:

>[snip]. I see no sense in topping an omelet
> with salsa unless you just wish to hide the taste of everything else.
>
> But then again, I hate salsa in any way, shape or form. Again, just my
> opinion.

Never say never. One of our favorites when we have snowpeas growing in
the garden is to cook snowpeas briefly in butter (sliced on the
diagonal if large), then pour beaten eggs over. When you top that with
fresh salsa you get a great contrast of taste and texture -- soft
creamy eggs, crunchy green snowpea, and tangy fresh salsa. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Never say never. One of our favorites when we have snowpeas growing in
> the garden is to cook snowpeas briefly in butter (sliced on the
> diagonal if large), then pour beaten eggs over. When you top that with
> fresh salsa you get a great contrast of taste and texture -- soft
> creamy eggs, crunchy green snowpea, and tangy fresh salsa. -aem

I had snowpea greens for the first time the other day. Spinach-like,
with a bit more flavor. Very nice. I'll be back for more.

Are you a fan of the greens?

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Reg wrote:

> I had snowpea greens for the first time the other day. Spinach-like,
> with a bit more flavor. Very nice. I'll be back for more.
>
> Are you a fan of the greens?

You mean the shoots? They're okay, I guess. Very delicate. I don't
know how they grow and harvest the plants to maximize harvesting those
things. Picking the peapods is about the limit of my gardening skill.
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
> sour cream.
> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

We like crisp crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar, diced tomatoes, chopped
green onions. Top with sour cream and salsa. Avocado also fits in very
nicely with the above.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
> sour cream.
> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the salsa is
uncommon.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Terry" > wrote:

> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
> sour cream.
> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

<lol> It sounds delicious, but there is no such thing as a "common"
omelet. I usually use leftovers or anything in the frige that needs to
be used!

"Common" omelet ingredients to me would include:

Ham
Cheese
Bacon
Avocado
Tomato
Veggie medlies
Summer squash
Onions
Garlic
Chili peppers fresh cooked or canned
Black Olives
Leftover cooked meats to include
beef strips, pork strips, sausage,
cooked chicken, etc.
Spinach
Shallots
Bok Choy
Mushrooms of all sorts such as
Oyster, white button, shitake
or Portabello.

I think you get the idea. <G>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>>[snip]. I see no sense in topping an omelet
>>with salsa unless you just wish to hide the taste of everything else.
>>
>>But then again, I hate salsa in any way, shape or form. Again, just my
>>opinion.

> Never say never. One of our favorites when we have snowpeas growing in
> the garden is to cook snowpeas briefly in butter (sliced on the
> diagonal if large), then pour beaten eggs over. When you top that with
> fresh salsa you get a great contrast of taste and texture -- soft
> creamy eggs, crunchy green snowpea, and tangy fresh salsa. -aem

We do something similar only use strips of red and green bell peppers.
Nice texture and flavor contrasts as you described.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:36:09 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>The Bubbo wrote:
>> Terry wrote:
>>> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa
>>> and sour cream.
>>> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

>> I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the
>> salsa is uncommon.

>It's not uncommon, I simply do not like salsa. I don't care if it came in a
>jar from Texas, or New York City, or homemade... I dislike salsa, and
>picante sauce, too. Shoot me and get it over with!

I like salsa, but the thought of it on eggs is very unsettling to me.
More for everyone else!

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 02 Apr 2006 02:36:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> The Bubbo wrote:
>> Terry wrote:
>>> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa
>>> and sour cream.
>>> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.
>>>

>> I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the
>> salsa is uncommon.

> It's not uncommon, I simply do not like salsa. I don't care if it came
> in a jar from Texas, or New York City, or homemade... I dislike salsa,
> and picante sauce, too. Shoot me and get it over with!

Okay, hold still so I can aim! :-) I love salsa and picante sauce, but I
don't like any tomato products in or on my omelettes. I do sometimes like a
bit of hot sauce sprinkled on.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>> Terry wrote:
>>> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa
>>> and sour cream.
>>> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.
>>>

>> I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the
>> salsa is uncommon.

> It's not uncommon, I simply do not like salsa. I don't care if it
> came in a jar from Texas, or New York City, or homemade... I dislike
> salsa, and picante sauce, too. Shoot me and get it over with!

I've been doing egg-white spinach, tomato and onion omelettes with some
parmesan and some drips of tabasco or Cholula on top. Top of the Pops,
imho.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:36:09 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> >The Bubbo wrote:
> >>
> >> I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the
> >> salsa is uncommon.

> >It's not uncommon, I simply do not like salsa. I don't care if it came in a
> >jar from Texas, or New York City, or homemade... I dislike salsa, and
> >picante sauce, too. Shoot me and get it over with!

> I like salsa, but the thought of it on eggs is very unsettling to me.
> More for everyone else!

You probably wouldn't like huevos ranchero. Heat up a couple of
tortillas. Put on a plate and put fried eggs on top. Pour heated fresh
tomato salsa over.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 18:29:33 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> I like salsa, but the thought of it on eggs is very unsettling to me.
>> More for everyone else!

>You probably wouldn't like huevos ranchero. Heat up a couple of
>tortillas. Put on a plate and put fried eggs on top. Pour heated fresh
>tomato salsa over.

You're absolutely right on that. Huevos ranchero was the term I was
thinking of, but I had NO idea how to spell it.

MORE FOR YOU!

Peace,
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I like salsa, but the thought of it on eggs is very unsettling to me.
> More for everyone else!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Salsa on eggs is good.

As a last minute replacement for pasta sauce on macoroni it isn't that bad
either.

--
-Alan

Omelet A La Duchesse kuyabayu Recipes 1 16-06-2009 07:44 PM
Ping: Omelet zxcvbob General Cooking 11 01-01-2009 06:00 PM
Ping: Omelet Joe Cilinceon General Cooking 13 22-09-2007 05:06 AM
Probably the best omelet I've ever had Pierre Barbecue 0 12-08-2006 02:59 AM