FoodBanter.com

-   -   Omelet funny (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/423649-omelet-funny.html)

Todd 09-04-2013 10:48 PM

Omelet funny

Hi All,

Okay, I have burned butter twice and eggplant
once. Here is a beginners mistake I bet you guys
have NEVER come across.

Here goes, but first not jokes, unless they are funny.
I am learning to cook omelets. I learned to wait
to fold the omelet till the top is tacky. If not,
the flap will rip. So far so good.

What I missed was giving the flat a push once it is
folded to make sure the two sides stick together.
So, when I scooped the omelet out of the pan and
put it on the plate, when I went to pull the
spatula out from under the omelet, the bottom
of the omelet stuck to the spatula and the
omelet unfurled and dumped the contents onto the
plate. And here is the rub, it took me two omelets
to figure it out!

Never quit!

-T

Todd 09-04-2013 10:49 PM

Omelet funny

On 04/09/2013 02:48 PM, Todd wrote:
> giving the flat

flap

Ozgirl 10-04-2013 01:23 AM

Omelet funny

Here is my procedure for filled omelets. Cook omelet til almost done,
spread the filling on half, add cheese last (that helps it stick
together) fold so top goes over edge of bottom (might need to arrange
filling so that it is on slightly less than half. Turn heat down so
bottom doesn't burn while filling heats and cheese melts. Use egg slice
to lift it onto plate while lightly touching top of omelet with other
hand (mostly so I don't lose the whole thing due to a slide). Unfilled
omelets I don't usually fold until I am taking it out of the pan. Sauté
ingredients in pan, spread ingredients evenly in pan, pour the egg
mixture over top and cook until done ;) If I was making frittata I
would use smaller pan and more ingredients and egg mix to make it a bit
thicker (in height) and cook slower with a lid.

Todd 10-04-2013 01:49 AM

Omelet funny

On 04/09/2013 05:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> Here is my procedure for filled omelets. Cook omelet til almost done,
> spread the filling on half, add cheese last (that helps it stick
> together) fold so top goes over edge of bottom (might need to arrange
> filling so that it is on slightly less than half. Turn heat down so
> bottom doesn't burn while filling heats and cheese melts. Use egg slice
> to lift it onto plate while lightly touching top of omelet with other
> hand (mostly so I don't lose the whole thing due to a slide). Unfilled
> omelets I don't usually fold until I am taking it out of the pan. Sauté
> ingredients in pan, spread ingredients evenly in pan, pour the egg
> mixture over top and cook until done ;) If I was making frittata I
> would use smaller pan and more ingredients and egg mix to make it a bit
> thicker (in height) and cook slower with a lid.

Thank you!

Peppermint Patootie 10-04-2013 08:07 PM

Omelet funny

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> If I was making frittata I
> would use smaller pan and more ingredients and egg mix to make it a bit
> thicker (in height) and cook slower with a lid.

With frittata, I cook the veggies or whatever in a 10 inch cast iron
pan, then pour the egg/cream mix on top. I let that cook a few minutes,
then put cheese on top and slide the pan under a hot broiler for five
minutes or so. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes, serve.

I like to do this with mushroom and grape tomatoes especially.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Ozgirl 10-04-2013 11:28 PM

Omelet funny

Yes, I like the crusty top too, sometimes I do frittatas in the oven and
I have a top element in there as well as a bottom so can turn that on
near the end. I have many uses for frittata :) Jasmine sometimes has
some on a sandwich for school. Easier for her to handle that way as she
is not good with eating softer food and can't use a knife, just a fork
or spoon. She tends to eat soft food by grabbing handfuls and
shovelling it in, not a pretty sight, especially at school.

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message

--
"What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority
by means

Cheri[_3_] 10-04-2013 11:37 PM

Omelet funny

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Yes, I like the crusty top too, sometimes I do frittatas in the oven and I
> have a top element in there as well as a bottom so can turn that on near
> the end. I have many uses for frittata :) Jasmine sometimes has some on a
> sandwich for school. Easier for her to handle that way as she is not good
> with eating softer food and can't use a knife, just a fork or spoon. She
> tends to eat soft food by grabbing handfuls and shovelling it in, not a
> pretty sight, especially at school.

The best thing about them is that there is no set recipe. Use anything you
want and they always turn out good. :-)

Cheri

Ozgirl 11-04-2013 12:07 AM

Omelet funny

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Yes, I like the crusty top too, sometimes I do frittatas in the oven
> and I have a top element in there as well as a bottom so can turn that
> on near the end. I have many uses for frittata :) Jasmine sometimes
> has some on a sandwich for school. Easier for her to handle that way
> as she is not good with eating softer food and can't use a knife, just
> a fork or spoon. She tends to eat soft food by grabbing handfuls and
> shovelling it in, not a pretty sight, especially at school.

The best thing about them is that there is no set recipe. Use anything
you
want and they always turn out good. :-)

Cheri

--------------

My favourite way of cooking :)

Julie Bove[_2_] 11-04-2013 01:25 AM

Omelet funny

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> If I was making frittata I
>> would use smaller pan and more ingredients and egg mix to make it a bit
>> thicker (in height) and cook slower with a lid.

> With frittata, I cook the veggies or whatever in a 10 inch cast iron
> pan, then pour the egg/cream mix on top. I let that cook a few minutes,
> then put cheese on top and slide the pan under a hot broiler for five
> minutes or so. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes, serve.
>
> I like to do this with mushroom and grape tomatoes especially.
>
> PP

I only ever tried a frittata once. Disaster! I had just seen some chef
make one on TV. I think it might have been Maryanne Esposito. Looked so
easy when she put the plate over the skillet then flipped it over and it
came right out on the plate. But when I tried it? The plate slipped, flew
away and crashed onto the floor. The frittata slipped out of the pan and
landed on my feet. So... Not so good.

Opple0pad 11-04-2013 03:34 AM

Omelet funny

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 14:48:36 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Okay, I have burned butter twice and eggplant
>once. Here is a beginners mistake I bet you guys
>have NEVER come across.
>
>Here goes, but first not jokes, unless they are funny.
>I am learning to cook omelets. I learned to wait
>to fold the omelet till the top is tacky. If not,
>the flap will rip. So far so good.
>
>What I missed was giving the flat a push once it is
>folded to make sure the two sides stick together.
>So, when I scooped the omelet out of the pan and
>put it on the plate, when I went to pull the
>spatula out from under the omelet, the bottom
>of the omelet stuck to the spatula and the
>omelet unfurled and dumped the contents onto the
>plate. And here is the rub, it took me two omelets
>to figure it out!
>
>Never quit!
>
>-T

I use a large non-stick pan with low sides. 4 to 6 eggs. Lightly oil
pan, heating oil. Pour in meats and veggies if I want them precooked,
then add eggs. Cook till set then give a sharp twist loosening the
eggs. Then flip. while this side cooks add cheese to half the
omelet. Slide out on to plat and fold over as the cheesed side rests
on plate. Serves 2 to 4 people. I never use a spatula.

If I do not want the fillin' pre-cooked then I add them at the same
time I add the cheese.

Doris Night 11-04-2013 04:00 AM

Omelet funny

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 17:25:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message

>> With frittata, I cook the veggies or whatever in a 10 inch cast iron
>> pan, then pour the egg/cream mix on top. I let that cook a few minutes,
>> then put cheese on top and slide the pan under a hot broiler for five
>> minutes or so. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes, serve.
>>
>> I like to do this with mushroom and grape tomatoes especially.
>>
>> PP

>I only ever tried a frittata once. Disaster! I had just seen some chef
>make one on TV. I think it might have been Maryanne Esposito. Looked so
>easy when she put the plate over the skillet then flipped it over and it
>came right out on the plate. But when I tried it? The plate slipped, flew
>away and crashed onto the floor. The frittata slipped out of the pan and
>landed on my feet. So... Not so good.

I would *never* try to flip a frittata or or turn it out onto a plate!
That's a recipe for disaster. I always do it using Peppermint
Patootie's method as described above. Slice the frittata into 6 or 8
servings (just like a pizza) and serve.

Doris

Cheri[_3_] 11-04-2013 06:28 AM

Omelet funny

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message ...
>
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Yes, I like the crusty top too, sometimes I do frittatas in the oven and
>> I have a top element in there as well as a bottom so can turn that on
>> near the end. I have many uses for frittata :) Jasmine sometimes has some
>> on a sandwich for school. Easier for her to handle that way as she is not
>> good with eating softer food and can't use a knife, just a fork or spoon.
>> She tends to eat soft food by grabbing handfuls and shovelling it in, not
>> a pretty sight, especially at school.

> The best thing about them is that there is no set recipe. Use anything you
> want and they always turn out good. :-)
>
> Cheri

> My favourite way of cooking :)

Mine too...and easy.