Old 18-12-2012, 01:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Have you planned a Christmas meal?

For many years I have wanted to have tamales, after I read about how it was
a big family tradition for many people and oddly not just Latino people.
But I don't have the stuff to make them. So I was going to order them
online, but I kept forgetting to do that in time. Yes, I can get some in
the stores here but... Sadly one of the beef ones (sold at Costco) has beef
broth in them so I can't eat them. Albertsons used to sell really good ones
but haven't seen those in years. And I can get some other frozen ones that
are good but not wrapped in corn husks so in my mind not authentic.

This year, given that we still haven't made any plans, I decided to order
some for Angela and I to eat. But then the place I was going to get them
from no longer ships. I did find a deal, if you will, for almost $60. Says
it is enough food to feed 2-6 people. You get 6 tamales in 2 flavors of
your choice and some chili. It's a very small cup of chili, no beans and I
think perhaps intended to serve as just a little bit over the tops of them.
Because it says there are only 4 servings. And the tamales are pretty low
carb, IMO. I got chicken for Angela. Hers have less carbs. Black beans
for me and they have 17g for 2 tamales.

So I got my order and I was all happy and stuff but then? Angela pitched a
fit when she heard of this! She actually does love tamales. I think she is
thinking they are something else. Not sure. And when I told my mom, she
freaked. She hates tamales. She always tells the story of her dad taking
her downtown and buying tamales for the kids from a guy with a pushcart who
sold them. And how her dad loved them but she hated them. No telling what
the problem was there. She hasn't tried any since and won't. I loved them
as a child but the only ones I ever got were in a frozen meal so really not
authentic at all. Once in a while I would find them in a restaurant and
order them. But they were almost always pork and I'm not too keen on pork.

So... I asked Angela what she wanted for her Christmas meal and all she
could come up with was peas. So I asked her if she wanted tuna casserole
and she said, "Yes!" I will probably make her a box of the Mrs. Leepers
stuff with the corn pasta. I think I only have to add water to it. Perhaps
I have to add the tuna. Haven't made it in a long time. I actually never
tried it but she loves it.

I also have some whole wheat phyllo dough but not sure what I will do with
it. I am thinking I will make little cups and fill them with baked apple
slices.

Old 18-12-2012, 04:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

My Daughter's Sister In-Law makes tamales every years...she always makes a
bunch for hubby and me, we put them in the freezer and steam a few at a
time...she makes great tamales. My Sister also makes them every year.
We will be going to my Daughter's for Christmas Dinner, there will be
Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing etc. I will bring a Nueske's Old Fashion
Ham and some AuGratin potatoes, I might also throw in some sausage cornbread
stuffing. There will be fresh veggies and dip, crab dip, shrimp on ice,
crackers, cheese and deli meats, for snacking before dinner. Pumpkin pie and
hopefully some minced meat pie , and Pecan Pie. I will try some of the food
but am actually there to be with my Grandkids and kids, again we will not
see my son and his family because he is stationed so far away .

Old 18-12-2012, 05:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Great! I think I will make Strudel instead with the Phyllo but use far less
sugar than called for. Sounds easy enough to do. I remember making it many
years ago and I never used a recipe. Just slapped it together.

Old 18-12-2012, 04:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Mac and cheese and canned pumpkin. Pumpkin may have twice as much alpha
carotene as carrots and carrots have super much more than whatever 3rd
place is. Yam type sweet potatoes may have a good bit tho.

Old 18-12-2012, 08:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:

: ...
:
[...]
Jaquie,

It all sounds delicious, but I will not be making any Christmas dinner as
it is not my holiday. I will , probably, be at my Synagogue where they
will be holding classes on assorted subjects of Jewish interest so we have
something to do all day rather than wtch oor listen to all the christmas
music, etc. should be just fine.

All of you , enjoy your holiday, as I have enjoyed mine. Eat well, enjoy
family and feel renewed for the yer coming up.

Wendy

Old 18-12-2012, 08:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "Jacquie" wrote in message
:
: I also have some whole wheat phyllo dough but not sure what I will do
: with it. I am thinking I will make little cups and fill them with baked
: apple slices.
:

: Great! I think I will make Strudel instead with the Phyllo but use far less
: sugar than called for. Sounds easy enough to do. I remember making it many
: years ago and I never used a recipe. Just slapped it together.

Should work well with any artificial sweetener you choose.

Wendy

Old 18-12-2012, 10:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" wrote in message
Mac and cheese and canned pumpkin. Pumpkin may have twice as much alpha
carotene as carrots and carrots have super much more than whatever 3rd
place is. Yam type sweet potatoes may have a good bit tho.

That's a lot of carbs!

Old 18-12-2012, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

1/2 can of pumpkin only has 7 net gms.

Old 18-12-2012, 11:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

No, 12 net gm of carbs, it's plain pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling. I
expect to get a very good reading.

Old 19-12-2012, 12:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 19/12/2012 8:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Colt T" wrote in message
Mac and cheese and canned pumpkin. Pumpkin may have twice as much alpha
carotene as carrots and carrots have super much more than whatever 3rd
place is. Yam type sweet potatoes may have a good bit tho.

That's a lot of carbs!

Now lets see roast chicken, roast pork, ham, baked vegies (Sweet potato,
potato, pumpkin, carrots), peas, gravy small serve plum pudding and
custard. Traditional dinner for me, sensible portions size but no
testing :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Old 19-12-2012, 07:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" wrote in message
Mac and cheese and canned pumpkin. Pumpkin may have twice as much alpha
carotene as carrots and carrots have super much more than whatever 3rd
place is. Yam type sweet potatoes may have a good bit tho.

That's a lot of carbs!

Now lets see roast chicken, roast pork, ham, baked vegies (Sweet potato,
potato, pumpkin, carrots), peas, gravy small serve plum pudding and
custard. Traditional dinner for me, sensible portions size but no testing
:-)

That's a lot of meat! I found out when we are doing our family celebration.
We're going to a restaurant and anyone who wants dessert can get it there.
No dessert at my parent's house. Yay! I have found that most of the time
when we do it this way, nobody gets dessert.

Old 20-12-2012, 12:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" wrote in message
Mac and cheese and canned pumpkin. Pumpkin may have twice as much
alpha
carotene as carrots and carrots have super much more than whatever
3rd
place is. Yam type sweet potatoes may have a good bit tho.

That's a lot of carbs!

Now lets see roast chicken, roast pork, ham, baked vegies (Sweet
potato, potato, pumpkin, carrots), peas, gravy small serve plum
pudding and custard. Traditional dinner for me, sensible portions
size but no testing :-)

That's a lot of meat! I found out when we are doing our family
celebration. We're going to a restaurant and anyone who wants dessert
can get it there. No dessert at my parent's house. Yay! I have found
that most of the time when we do it this way, nobody gets dessert.

3 meats are fairly traditional here. Chicken or turkey, the pork and in
our family, cold ham as well.

Old 20-12-2012, 03:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Colt T" wrote in message
[...]

We usually have Ham and Turkey on Christmas.

Old 20-12-2012, 03:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 20/12/2012 10:06 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

"Colt T" wrote in message
[...]

Yep that's it, no Brussels sprouts tho, I hope never could get to like
them tho the poms seem to include them in every xmas menu I see. Not
Xmas without a leg of ham in the fridge :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Old 20-12-2012, 04:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Colt T" wrote in message
[...]

Really? Wow! Sometimes when my mom had the meal at her house she would do
two meats but only because someone wouldn't eat the main meat that she was
making. I guess we are just not big meat eaters. We're more likely to have
an assortment of veggies than several meats.

Planned Leftovers sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 29-07-2014 06:33 PM
Tara - Christmas meal sf[_9_] General Cooking 3 10-12-2013 10:27 PM
Our Christmas meal Gene Barbecue 8 04-01-2012 03:42 PM
Have you planned your holiday meal? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 21 17-12-2010 08:10 PM
Easy Christmas Eve Meal LadyKat General Cooking 58 24-12-2004 08:39 PM