LadyKat

Default Easy Christmas Eve Meal

Hello all you food experts

I lurk here regularly, but rarely post. I have a dilemma, and it seems like
this is the perfect place to pose the question. I am the traditional host of
our family's Christmas celebrations. We live 4 hours from our family and
have 2 children, so we have always done Christmas at our house. This means
the family spends at least two nights at my home - which is wonderful, I
love having my family here. My dilemma is this: we attend the 4:00
Children's Mass on Christmas Eve, then come home to have supper. The last
few years, I have had a beef stew, salad and fresh bread on the menu. It was
tasty, filling, and easy (since it was pre-made). But his year, I am tired
of serving the same thing, and want something different.
The requirements are these:
1. It has to be something that I can throw on the table with VERY little
immediate prep. Putting it in the crock-pot in the am is no problem, or
whipping up the last minute items is fine - but this is a QUICK, EASY meal.
2. No fish -my parents just don't like it - so while I would adore a lovely
baked salmon and rice dish, they would HATE it ( and I am allergic to
shellfish - so shrimp is out of the question )
3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal on
Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our bellies,
and is a quick and easy prep after church.
4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important

I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could make it
up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to heat before we
leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with sausage and meatballs in
the crock-pot, then simply cook up some pasta when we get home, but this
seems like such a cop-out. Does anyone have ANY ideas for me?

I love to cook and feed people, but my guests are not huge eaters. They like
simple food (we are true Yankees all the way LOL), and I don't want to fuss
Christmas Eve. I'm a good cook - but I do my "thing" Christmas Day -
Christmas Eve is just about a homey meal that is low on immediate prep. I'm
fresh out of ideas........
Thanks so very much! I have total faith in your suggestions!
kathi

I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I
usually make the right decision.

Steve Calvin

LadyKat wrote:

> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could make it
> up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to heat before we
> leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with sausage and meatballs in
> the crock-pot, then simply cook up some pasta when we get home, but this
> seems like such a cop-out. Does anyone have ANY ideas for me?

Well, the elimination of fish/shellfish and the fact that you won't be
there to tend to "whatever" tends to limit my choices but....

Lasagna would work really well. Make it the day before as you said and
heat it low while you're gone. Throw together a salad and garlic
bread and you're good to to.

As a fellow yankee, I'll suggest a pot roast too. Although I do 'em in
the oven, according to folks around here they work fine in the crock
pot but I can't attest to that.

Or maybe chili?

Got a smoker? Throw some ribs on before heading to the church.

Swiss steak is another possibility. Served with mashed potatoes and a
veggie. You can adjust the amounts as necessary.

2 lbs. Round steak steak
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup Crisco (the solid kind)
1 cup of cubed onion
3 cups of beef stock
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
1 Bay leaf

I also toss in some sliced mushrooms. What ever looks good at the store.

Cut each steak into the desired serving size if necessary. Salt and
pepper each steak lightly, dredge in the flour and pound with the
business end of a meat pounder. Shake off the excess. Set aside.
If you don't have a skillet with ovenproof handles, you can use a
pyrex dish or an earthenware pan with a cover for the oven. Heat a
heavy 12 inch skillet (cast iron, if you have one) with a
tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add the Crisco. Brown the steaks
on both sides and set aside.
Pour off all of the oil except 1/3 cup. Add 1/3 cup of flour to the
oil and stir. Allow the mixture to brown over medium-low heat and stir
frequently to prevent it from burning. When the mixture is about the
color of peanut butter, add the onion. Stir and allow the onion to
cook for about 1 minute.
Slowly add the beef stock stirring constantly. Add the
Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

You should be able to do the above ahead of time although I've never
done it so I'm guessing. Then before you head to the church put the
steaks into the pan, cover and into about a 275dF oven. It'd probably
be done when you get back. I'd want the liquid somewhat thin when
going into the oven though as you won't be there to watch it while it
thickens. When done, the meat should be able to be easily cut with a
fork.

Good luck and have a good holiday.

--
Steve

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?
Steve Calvin

LadyKat wrote:

> [...]

color of peanut butter, add the onion. Stir and allow the onion to
cook for about 1 minute.
Slowly add the beef stock stirring constantly. Add the
Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

You should be able to do the above ahead of time although I've never
done it so I'm guessing. Then before you head to the church put the
steaks into the pan, cover and into about a 275dF oven. It'd probably
be done when you get back. I'd want the liquid somewhat thin when
going into the oven though as you won't be there to watch it while it
thickens. When done, the meat should be able to be easily cut with a
fork.

Good luck and have a good holiday.

--
Steve

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?
sf

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:56:10 -0500, "LadyKat"
> wrote:

> 3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal on
> Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our bellies,
> and is a quick and easy prep after church.
> 4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important
>
> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could make it
> up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to heat before we
> leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with sausage and meatballs in
> the crock-pot, then simply cook up some pasta when we get home, but this
> seems like such a cop-out. Does anyone have ANY ideas for me?
>
> I love to cook and feed people, but my guests are not huge eaters. They like
> simple food (we are true Yankees all the way LOL), and I don't want to fuss
> Christmas Eve. I'm a good cook - but I do my "thing" Christmas Day -
> Christmas Eve is just about a homey meal that is low on immediate prep. I'm
> fresh out of ideas........

I'm stumped too... mainly because I wouldn't consider
lasagna a "light" meal!

Also, what do you consider simple? I think a nice souffle,
salad & crusty bread would be simple enough. If that's too
much work how about cheese fondue? Cut up some bread, hard
salami & tart apples for dipping.

You could make a Yankee Pot Roast.

sf
sf

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:56:10 -0500, "LadyKat"
> wrote:

> 3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal on
> Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our bellies,
> and is a quick and easy prep after church.
> 4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important
>
> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could make it
> up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to heat before we
> leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with sausage and meatballs in
> the crock-pot, then simply cook up some pasta when we get home, but this
> seems like such a cop-out. Does anyone have ANY ideas for me?
>
> I love to cook and feed people, but my guests are not huge eaters. They like
> simple food (we are true Yankees all the way LOL), and I don't want to fuss
> Christmas Eve. I'm a good cook - but I do my "thing" Christmas Day -
> Christmas Eve is just about a homey meal that is low on immediate prep. I'm
> fresh out of ideas........

I'm stumped too... mainly because I wouldn't consider
lasagna a "light" meal!

Also, what do you consider simple? I think a nice souffle,
salad & crusty bread would be simple enough. If that's too
much work how about cheese fondue? Cut up some bread, hard
salami & tart apples for dipping.

You could make a Yankee Pot Roast.

sf

Pan Ohco

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:56:10 -0500, "LadyKat"
> wrote:

>Hello all you food experts

>The requirements are these:
>1. It has to be something that I can throw on the table with VERY little
>immediate prep. Putting it in the crock-pot in the am is no problem, or
>whipping up the last minute items is fine - but this is a QUICK, EASY meal.
>2. No fish -my parents just don't like it - so while I would adore a lovely
>baked salmon and rice dish, they would HATE it ( and I am allergic to
>shellfish - so shrimp is out of the question )
>3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal on
>Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our bellies,
>and is a quick and easy prep after church.
>4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important
>

>I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad?
>kathi

Sounds like the perfect time for a anti-pasta.
served as a buffet, with a crock pot of soup.
Mom need not take the soup.

Set up the table before mass, with the crockpot-o-soup.
Put the cold cuts on plates in the refrige, with the bread.
On return from Mass, setting up the table should take minuets.

Pan Ohco

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a
Book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
--Assyrian stone tablet, c. 2800 B.C.
Pan Ohco

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:56:10 -0500, "LadyKat"
> wrote:

>Hello all you food experts

>The requirements are these:
>1. It has to be something that I can throw on the table with VERY little
>immediate prep. Putting it in the crock-pot in the am is no problem, or
>whipping up the last minute items is fine - but this is a QUICK, EASY meal.
>2. No fish -my parents just don't like it - so while I would adore a lovely
>baked salmon and rice dish, they would HATE it ( and I am allergic to
>shellfish - so shrimp is out of the question )
>3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal on
>Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our bellies,
>and is a quick and easy prep after church.
>4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important
>

>I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad?
>kathi

Sounds like the perfect time for a anti-pasta.
served as a buffet, with a crock pot of soup.
Mom need not take the soup.

Set up the table before mass, with the crockpot-o-soup.
Put the cold cuts on plates in the refrige, with the bread.
On return from Mass, setting up the table should take minuets.

Pan Ohco

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a
Book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
--Assyrian stone tablet, c. 2800 B.C.
DebbieGrrrl

>I love to cook and feed people, but my guests are not huge eaters. They like
>simple food (we are true Yankees all the way LOL), and I don't want to fuss
>Christmas Eve. I'm a good cook - but I do my "thing" Christmas Day -
>Christmas Eve is just about a homey meal that is low on immediate prep. I'm
>fresh out of ideas........
>Thanks so very much! I have total faith in your suggestions!
>kathi
>

>I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I
>usually make the right decision.

How about a "cold supper"? A variety of cold cuts, some different types of
bread/rolls, condiments, sliced cheeses and a cold salad or two like potato
salad and maybe a green salad or cole slaw and a relish dish (cherry tomatoes,
olives, pickles etc...)
If something hot is required, maybe have a pot of chili or tomato soup, too.
All of that can be prepared beforehand and it can be a nosh or a meal depending
on the individual.

Debbie...
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows.
DebbieGrrrl

>I love to cook and feed people, but my guests are not huge eaters. They like
>simple food (we are true Yankees all the way LOL), and I don't want to fuss
>Christmas Eve. I'm a good cook - but I do my "thing" Christmas Day -
>Christmas Eve is just about a homey meal that is low on immediate prep. I'm
>fresh out of ideas........
>Thanks so very much! I have total faith in your suggestions!
>kathi
>

>I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I
>usually make the right decision.

How about a "cold supper"? A variety of cold cuts, some different types of
bread/rolls, condiments, sliced cheeses and a cold salad or two like potato
salad and maybe a green salad or cole slaw and a relish dish (cherry tomatoes,
olives, pickles etc...)
If something hot is required, maybe have a pot of chili or tomato soup, too.
All of that can be prepared beforehand and it can be a nosh or a meal depending
on the individual.

Debbie...
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows.
DebbieGrrrl

>I love to cook and feed people, but my guests are not huge eaters. They like
>simple food (we are true Yankees all the way LOL), and I don't want to fuss
>Christmas Eve. I'm a good cook - but I do my "thing" Christmas Day -
>Christmas Eve is just about a homey meal that is low on immediate prep. I'm
>fresh out of ideas........
>Thanks so very much! I have total faith in your suggestions!
>kathi
>

>I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I
>usually make the right decision.

How about a "cold supper"? A variety of cold cuts, some different types of
bread/rolls, condiments, sliced cheeses and a cold salad or two like potato
salad and maybe a green salad or cole slaw and a relish dish (cherry tomatoes,
olives, pickles etc...)
If something hot is required, maybe have a pot of chili or tomato soup, too.
All of that can be prepared beforehand and it can be a nosh or a meal depending
on the individual.

Debbie...
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows.

rmg

"LadyKat" > wrote in message
> Hello all you food experts
> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could make
> it up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to heat before
> we leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with sausage and
> meatballs in the crock-pot, then simply cook up some pasta when we get
> home, but this seems like such a cop-out. Does anyone have ANY ideas for
> me?

The 5-hour chicken is to die for. It was handed down by someone who
contribute/d regularly to this group named Mimi and is really called "Mimi's
Sticky Chicken."

This is how I've been making it:

1 large roasting hen
salt
old bay seasoning (or seasoning of your choice)
1 medium yellow onion
gravy fixins if you like gravy

rub the chicken with lots of salt and old bay. Put it in a plastic bag and
refrigerate overnight.

The next day, chop the onion and put it in the chicken cavity. Roast the
chicken on a rack breast side down in a 250 oven.
That's right, 250F, for 5 hours, or until the chicken is golden, juices run
clear, and legs move easily in the sockets.

The smells will drive you crazy.

Make gravy from the drippings if desired.

rmg

"LadyKat" > wrote in message
> Hello all you food experts
> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could make
> it up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to heat before
> we leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with sausage and
> meatballs in the crock-pot, then simply cook up some pasta when we get
> home, but this seems like such a cop-out. Does anyone have ANY ideas for
> me?

The 5-hour chicken is to die for. It was handed down by someone who
contribute/d regularly to this group named Mimi and is really called "Mimi's
Sticky Chicken."

This is how I've been making it:

1 large roasting hen
salt
old bay seasoning (or seasoning of your choice)
1 medium yellow onion
gravy fixins if you like gravy

rub the chicken with lots of salt and old bay. Put it in a plastic bag and
refrigerate overnight.

The next day, chop the onion and put it in the chicken cavity. Roast the
chicken on a rack breast side down in a 250 oven.
That's right, 250F, for 5 hours, or until the chicken is golden, juices run
clear, and legs move easily in the sockets.

The smells will drive you crazy.

Make gravy from the drippings if desired.

jmcquown

rmg wrote:
> "LadyKat" > wrote in message
>> Hello all you food experts
>> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could
>> make it up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to
>> heat before we leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with
>> sausage and meatballs in the crock-pot, then simply cook up some
>> pasta when we get home, but this seems like such a cop-out. Does
>> anyone have ANY ideas for me?

> The 5-hour chicken is to die for. It was handed down by someone who
> contribute/d regularly to this group named Mimi and is really called
> "Mimi's Sticky Chicken."
>
> This is how I've been making it:
>
> 1 large roasting hen
> salt
> old bay seasoning (or seasoning of your choice)
> 1 medium yellow onion
> gravy fixins if you like gravy
>
> rub the chicken with lots of salt and old bay. Put it in a plastic
> bag and refrigerate overnight.
>
> The next day, chop the onion and put it in the chicken cavity. Roast
> the chicken on a rack breast side down in a 250 oven.
> That's right, 250F, for 5 hours, or until the chicken is golden,
> juices run clear, and legs move easily in the sockets.
>
> The smells will drive you crazy.
>
> Make gravy from the drippings if desired.

If you can't find Old Bay Seasoning (I find it near the seafood case) try
making this blend from Copycat Recipes:

1 Tbs. Celery Seed
1 Tbs. Whole Black Peppercorns
6 Bay Leaves
1/2 Tsp. whole cardamom seeds
1/2 Tsp. mustard seed
4 whole cloves
1 Tsp sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 Tsp Mace

In a spice grinder or small food processor, combine all of the ingredients.
Grind well and store in a small glass jar.

Jill

DJS0302

We always go out to dinner on Christmas Eve. However, one year we couldn't
find a place open so we made a meal out of snack foods. We had things like
cocktail franks in barbecue sauce, chicken fingers, pizza rolls, quesadilla
rolls, mini quiches, etc. You could make everything ahead of time and then
simply pop it into a warm oven for a few minutes to reheat.

kilikini

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:56:10 -0500, "LadyKat"
> > wrote:
>
>> 3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal
>> on Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our
>> bellies, and is a quick and easy prep after church.
>> 4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important
>>
>> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could
>> make it up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to
>> heat before we leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with
>> sausage and meatballs in the crock-pot, then simply cook up some
>> pasta when we get home, but this seems like such a cop-out. Does
>> anyone have ANY ideas for me?
>>
>> I love to cook and feed people, but my guests are not huge eaters.
>> They like simple food (we are true Yankees all the way LOL), and I
>> don't want to fuss Christmas Eve. I'm a good cook - but I do my
>> "thing" Christmas Day - Christmas Eve is just about a homey meal
>> that is low on immediate prep. I'm fresh out of ideas........

> I'm stumped too... mainly because I wouldn't consider
> lasagna a "light" meal!
>
> Also, what do you consider simple? I think a nice souffle,
> salad & crusty bread would be simple enough. If that's too
> much work how about cheese fondue? Cut up some bread, hard
> salami & tart apples for dipping.
>
> You could make a Yankee Pot Roast.
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

You made me think of Quiche and a salad. Surprisingly quick and easy and
can be done a day ahead.

kili

kilikini

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:56:10 -0500, "LadyKat"
> > wrote:
>
>> 3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal
>> on Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our
>> bellies, and is a quick and easy prep after church.
>> 4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important
>>
>> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could
>> make it up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to
>> heat before we leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with
>> sausage and meatballs in the crock-pot, then simply cook up some
>> pasta when we get home, but this seems like such a cop-out. Does
>> anyone have ANY ideas for me?
>>
>> I love to cook and feed people, but my guests are not huge eaters.
>> They like simple food (we are true Yankees all the way LOL), and I
>> don't want to fuss Christmas Eve. I'm a good cook - but I do my
>> "thing" Christmas Day - Christmas Eve is just about a homey meal
>> that is low on immediate prep. I'm fresh out of ideas........

> I'm stumped too... mainly because I wouldn't consider
> lasagna a "light" meal!
>
> Also, what do you consider simple? I think a nice souffle,
> salad & crusty bread would be simple enough. If that's too
> much work how about cheese fondue? Cut up some bread, hard
> salami & tart apples for dipping.
>
> You could make a Yankee Pot Roast.
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

You made me think of Quiche and a salad. Surprisingly quick and easy and
can be done a day ahead.

kili

kilikini

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:56:10 -0500, "LadyKat"
> > wrote:
>
>> 3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal
>> on Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our
>> bellies, and is a quick and easy prep after church.
>> 4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important
>>
>> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could
>> make it up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to
>> heat before we leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with
>> sausage and meatballs in the crock-pot, then simply cook up some
>> pasta when we get home, but this seems like such a cop-out. Does
>> anyone have ANY ideas for me?
>>
>> I love to cook and feed people, but my guests are not huge eaters.
>> They like simple food (we are true Yankees all the way LOL), and I
>> don't want to fuss Christmas Eve. I'm a good cook - but I do my
>> "thing" Christmas Day - Christmas Eve is just about a homey meal
>> that is low on immediate prep. I'm fresh out of ideas........

> I'm stumped too... mainly because I wouldn't consider
> lasagna a "light" meal!
>
> Also, what do you consider simple? I think a nice souffle,
> salad & crusty bread would be simple enough. If that's too
> much work how about cheese fondue? Cut up some bread, hard
> salami & tart apples for dipping.
>
> You could make a Yankee Pot Roast.
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

You made me think of Quiche and a salad. Surprisingly quick and easy and
can be done a day ahead.

kili

Bob

LadyKat wrote:

> love having my family here. My dilemma is this: we attend the 4:00
> Children's Mass on Christmas Eve, then come home to have supper. The last
> few years, I have had a beef stew, salad and fresh bread on the menu. It
> was tasty, filling, and easy (since it was pre-made). But his year, I am
> tired of serving the same thing, and want something different.
> The requirements are these:
> 1. It has to be something that I can throw on the table with VERY little
> immediate prep. Putting it in the crock-pot in the am is no problem, or
> whipping up the last minute items is fine - but this is a QUICK, EASY
> meal.
> 2. No fish -my parents just don't like it - so while I would adore a
> lovely baked salmon and rice dish, they would HATE it ( and I am
> allergic to shellfish - so shrimp is out of the question )
> 3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal on
> Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our bellies,
> and is a quick and easy prep after church.
> 4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important

I saw a recipe for crockpot chicken & dumplings the other day; would that be
okay? All you'd need to complete the meal would be a salad.

Bob

Bob

LadyKat wrote:

> love having my family here. My dilemma is this: we attend the 4:00
> Children's Mass on Christmas Eve, then come home to have supper. The last
> few years, I have had a beef stew, salad and fresh bread on the menu. It
> was tasty, filling, and easy (since it was pre-made). But his year, I am
> tired of serving the same thing, and want something different.
> The requirements are these:
> 1. It has to be something that I can throw on the table with VERY little
> immediate prep. Putting it in the crock-pot in the am is no problem, or
> whipping up the last minute items is fine - but this is a QUICK, EASY
> meal.
> 2. No fish -my parents just don't like it - so while I would adore a
> lovely baked salmon and rice dish, they would HATE it ( and I am
> allergic to shellfish - so shrimp is out of the question )
> 3. My family prefers a light meal, since we are having a huge meal on
> Christmas day. This is really just a comfy supper that fills our bellies,
> and is a quick and easy prep after church.
> 4. My mother HATES soup - and pleasing Mom is VERY important

I saw a recipe for crockpot chicken & dumplings the other day; would that be
okay? All you'd need to complete the meal would be a salad.

Bob

Steve Calvin

Dog3 wrote:

> This will be Wednesdays dinner. Sounds delish. It's about the same as my
> Swiss Steak recipe sans the bay leaf. Do you not add tomato sauce?
>
> Michael

Enjoy. Nope, no tomato sauce but I'm not eatin' it. Wanna add it? Go for
it and leave the bay out too if you want.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Steve Calvin

Dog3 wrote:

> This will be Wednesdays dinner. Sounds delish. It's about the same as my
> Swiss Steak recipe sans the bay leaf. Do you not add tomato sauce?
>
> Michael

Enjoy. Nope, no tomato sauce but I'm not eatin' it. Wanna add it? Go for
it and leave the bay out too if you want.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Steve Calvin

Dog3 wrote:

> This will be Wednesdays dinner. Sounds delish. It's about the same as my
> Swiss Steak recipe sans the bay leaf. Do you not add tomato sauce?
>
> Michael

Enjoy. Nope, no tomato sauce but I'm not eatin' it. Wanna add it? Go for
it and leave the bay out too if you want.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

LadyKat

You guys are great! I knew I could cuont on the helpful people here
I'm mullling over the sandwich bar/soup idea or possibly the quiche and
salad (leftovers could be used up for breakfast the next day
The Swiss Steak sounds aswesome - I'm keeping that recipe in my files
Thanks everyone!
Kathi

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "LadyKat"
> wrote:
>This is really just a comfy supper that fills our bellies, and is a
>quick and easy prep after church. 4. My mother HATES soup - and
>pleasing Mom is VERY important
>

> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad?

My niece has done a baked potato bar for her husband's kids and kids --
baked potatoes with various toppings available, from butter and sour
cream to beef stroganoff to chili con carne to creamed whatever. Spuds
will take a while to bake (longer at a low temp) if they're in the oven
while you're at church (yeah, I would leave my oven on if I weren't home
for two hours).

Lasagna would bomb at my house -- too much cheese for Himself.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 12-10-04; Sam I Am!
Christmas Baking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "LadyKat"
> wrote:
>This is really just a comfy supper that fills our bellies, and is a
>quick and easy prep after church. 4. My mother HATES soup - and
>pleasing Mom is VERY important
>

> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad?

My niece has done a baked potato bar for her husband's kids and kids --
baked potatoes with various toppings available, from butter and sour
cream to beef stroganoff to chili con carne to creamed whatever. Spuds
will take a while to bake (longer at a low temp) if they're in the oven
while you're at church (yeah, I would leave my oven on if I weren't home
for two hours).

Lasagna would bomb at my house -- too much cheese for Himself.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 12-10-04; Sam I Am!
Christmas Baking
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "rmg"
> wrote:

> The 5-hour chicken is to die for. It was handed down by someone who
> contribute/d regularly to this group named Mimi and is really called
> "Mimi's Sticky Chicken."

Mimi Hiller
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 12-10-04; Sam I Am!
Christmas Baking
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "rmg"
> wrote:

> The 5-hour chicken is to die for. It was handed down by someone who
> contribute/d regularly to this group named Mimi and is really called
> "Mimi's Sticky Chicken."

Mimi Hiller
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> 12-10-04; Sam I Am!
Christmas Baking
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:30:04 GMT, "rmg"
> wrote:

>"LadyKat" > wrote in message
>> Hello all you food experts
>> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could make
>> it up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to heat before
>> we leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with sausage and
>> meatballs in the crock-pot, then simply cook up some pasta when we get
>> home, but this seems like such a cop-out. Does anyone have ANY ideas for
>> me?

>The 5-hour chicken is to die for. It was handed down by someone who
>contribute/d regularly to this group named Mimi and is really called "Mimi's
>Sticky Chicken."

This is undoubtedly Mimi Hiller. Her website is a treasure trove of
recipes: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:30:04 GMT, "rmg"
> wrote:

>"LadyKat" > wrote in message
>> Hello all you food experts
>> I'm stumped as to what to serve. Maybe a lasagna and salad? I could make
>> it up ahead of time and pop it in the oven on a low temp. to heat before
>> we leave for Mass, or I could do a marinara sauce with sausage and
>> meatballs in the crock-pot, then simply cook up some pasta when we get
>> home, but this seems like such a cop-out. Does anyone have ANY ideas for
>> me?

>The 5-hour chicken is to die for. It was handed down by someone who
>contribute/d regularly to this group named Mimi and is really called "Mimi's
>Sticky Chicken."

This is undoubtedly Mimi Hiller. Her website is a treasure trove of
recipes: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Christine Dabney

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:47:34 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
>This is undoubtedly Mimi Hiller. Her website is a treasure trove of
>recipes: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

Just wanted to let you all know that Mimi now has a cookbook store in
Santa Clarita, CA.
http://www.cookbooksplus.com/

And this about her radio show (from her website):

This just in! Mimi now has her own radio program every Friday on KHTS
1220 in Santa Clarita.
Now through December Mimi is also on Sunday Mornings from 9:00 to
11:00 AM. Call her live on the air at 661-298-KHTS (5487).

Christine
Christine Dabney

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:47:34 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
>This is undoubtedly Mimi Hiller. Her website is a treasure trove of
>recipes: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

Just wanted to let you all know that Mimi now has a cookbook store in
Santa Clarita, CA.
http://www.cookbooksplus.com/

And this about her radio show (from her website):

This just in! Mimi now has her own radio program every Friday on KHTS
1220 in Santa Clarita.
Now through December Mimi is also on Sunday Mornings from 9:00 to
11:00 AM. Call her live on the air at 661-298-KHTS (5487).

Christine
Christine Dabney

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:47:34 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
>This is undoubtedly Mimi Hiller. Her website is a treasure trove of
>recipes: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

Just wanted to let you all know that Mimi now has a cookbook store in
Santa Clarita, CA.
http://www.cookbooksplus.com/

And this about her radio show (from her website):

This just in! Mimi now has her own radio program every Friday on KHTS
1220 in Santa Clarita.
Now through December Mimi is also on Sunday Mornings from 9:00 to
11:00 AM. Call her live on the air at 661-298-KHTS (5487).

Christine
sf

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:01:35 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> You made me think of Quiche and a salad. Surprisingly quick and easy and
> can be done a day ahead.

How could I forget that? It's perfect!

sf
sf