Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Our Christmas meal

Well the family nixed the rib roast. They wanted ham. So that is what
we did.

Everything was going fine.... there was a power outage that effected
northern IL. with 2 hours to go.

So, fired up the grill and finished the ham, lasagna, yams, biscuits,
etc. on the grill.

Funny, everything turned out hot and done at the same time. All with
one flashlight.

So many things were cooked ahead and we were going to nuke them to
reheat. No power, can't do that. GRILL to reheat. With one flashlight.

Amazing we go it done. And as we were plating, company that we did not
expected arrived. We are on a well. Gzzzz.

What a cluster ****.

But a great meal and a good time was had by all.

But me. I am STILL recovering.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 02:27:40 -0600, Gene >
wrote:

>Everything was going fine.... there was a power outage that effected
>northern IL. with 2 hours to go.
>
>So, fired up the grill and finished the ham, lasagna, yams, biscuits,
>etc. on the grill.

>Amazing we go it done. And as we were plating, company that we did not
>expected arrived. We are on a well. Gzzzz.

Good thing you are resourceful. Just what you need though, more
company with a power failure.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Jan-2012, Gene > wrote:

.. . .

> So many things were cooked ahead and we were going to nuke them to
> reheat. No power, can't do that. GRILL to reheat. With one flashlight.
>
> Amazing we go it done. And as we were plating, company that we did not
> expected arrived. We are on a well. Gzzzz.

.. . .

> Gene

I wonder how many folks are going to pick up on the fact that the toilet
don't flush when the power is out and guests become a major problem.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>Good thing you are resourceful. Just what you need though, more
>company with a power failure.

Oh man, you gotta be resourceful. Learned that in the army. I have had
to cook on everything from and engine block to the pipe of a 5kw
generator.

Don't mean that I like it!

LOL

**** Uncommonly Wealthy Edison!

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
>I wonder how many folks are going to pick up on the fact that the toilet
>don't flush when the power is out and guests become a major problem.

Oh it will flush. About 3 times. Then there is no water left for
anything else either.

Last year I had about 30 gallons in the freezer just for this reason.
We always lose power in the summer, but this is the 1st time ever in
the winter. And on Christmas too.

I can use the stove without power, but not the oven. What a pain in
the ass.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Jan-2012, Gene > wrote:

> snip
> >I wonder how many folks are going to pick up on the fact that the toilet
> >don't flush when the power is out and guests become a major problem.

> Oh it will flush. About 3 times. Then there is no water left for
> anything else either.
>
> Last year I had about 30 gallons in the freezer just for this reason.
> We always lose power in the summer, but this is the 1st time ever in
> the winter. And on Christmas too.
>
> I can use the stove without power, but not the oven. What a pain in
> the ass.
>
> Gene

My Jenn Air oven is the same way. What ever happened to good old
fashioned pilot lights?

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>My Jenn Air oven is the same way. What ever happened to good old
>fashioned pilot lights?

They went out along the same time we had to start putting football
helmets on our kids or get a fine if they were caught riding a bike
without one.

Please save us from our selves, PLEASE!

BTW, I would kill for a Jenn anything since I closed the restaurant.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 4, 12:08*am, Gene > wrote:

> BTW, I would kill for a Jenn anything since I closed the restaurant.

Chicagoland, right?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Jan-2012, Gene > wrote:

> >My Jenn Air oven is the same way. What ever happened to good old
> >fashioned pilot lights?

> They went out along the same time we had to start putting football
> helmets on our kids or get a fine if they were caught riding a bike
> without one.
>
> Please save us from our selves, PLEASE!
>
> BTW, I would kill for a Jenn anything since I closed the restaurant.
>
> Gene

Speaking of Jenn Air. I saved the last repair bill for mine. Last June
the bill was $890.38 if I hadn't had a bumper to bumper repair
agreement. This was the second time that the main control module
was replaced. I paid less the the repair bill to buy the stove in the
first place. Maintenance contracts are a subject of much controversy,
but I have made out big time with mine.