FoodBanter.com

-   -   Have you planned a Christmas meal? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/421749-have-you-planned-christmas.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-12-2012 02:16 AM

Have you planned a Christmas meal?

For many years I have wanted to have tamales, after I read about how it was
a big family tradition for many people and oddly not just Latino people.
But I don't have the stuff to make them. So I was going to order them
online, but I kept forgetting to do that in time. Yes, I can get some in
the stores here but... Sadly one of the beef ones (sold at Costco) has beef
broth in them so I can't eat them. Albertsons used to sell really good ones
but haven't seen those in years. And I can get some other frozen ones that
are good but not wrapped in corn husks so in my mind not authentic.

This year, given that we still haven't made any plans, I decided to order
some for Angela and I to eat. But then the place I was going to get them
from no longer ships. I did find a deal, if you will, for almost $60. Says
it is enough food to feed 2-6 people. You get 6 tamales in 2 flavors of
your choice and some chili. It's a very small cup of chili, no beans and I
think perhaps intended to serve as just a little bit over the tops of them.
Because it says there are only 4 servings. And the tamales are pretty low
carb, IMO. I got chicken for Angela. Hers have less carbs. Black beans
for me and they have 17g for 2 tamales.

So I got my order and I was all happy and stuff but then? Angela pitched a
fit when she heard of this! She actually does love tamales. I think she is
thinking they are something else. Not sure. And when I told my mom, she
freaked. She hates tamales. She always tells the story of her dad taking
her downtown and buying tamales for the kids from a guy with a pushcart who
sold them. And how her dad loved them but she hated them. No telling what
the problem was there. She hasn't tried any since and won't. I loved them
as a child but the only ones I ever got were in a frozen meal so really not
authentic at all. Once in a while I would find them in a restaurant and
order them. But they were almost always pork and I'm not too keen on pork.

So... I asked Angela what she wanted for her Christmas meal and all she
could come up with was peas. So I asked her if she wanted tuna casserole
and she said, "Yes!" I will probably make her a box of the Mrs. Leepers
stuff with the corn pasta. I think I only have to add water to it. Perhaps
I have to add the tuna. Haven't made it in a long time. I actually never
tried it but she loves it.

I also have some whole wheat phyllo dough but not sure what I will do with
it. I am thinking I will make little cups and fill them with baked apple
slices.

Jacquie 18-12-2012 05:58 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> For many years I have wanted to have tamales, after I read about how it
> was a big family tradition for many people and oddly not just Latino
> people. But I don't have the stuff to make them. So I was going to order
> them online, but I kept forgetting to do that in time. Yes, I can get
> some in the stores here but... Sadly one of the beef ones (sold at
> Costco) has beef broth in them so I can't eat them. Albertsons used to
> sell really good ones but haven't seen those in years. And I can get some
> other frozen ones that are good but not wrapped in corn husks so in my
> mind not authentic.
>
> This year, given that we still haven't made any plans, I decided to order
> some for Angela and I to eat. But then the place I was going to get them
> from no longer ships. I did find a deal, if you will, for almost $60.
> Says it is enough food to feed 2-6 people. You get 6 tamales in 2 flavors
> of your choice and some chili. It's a very small cup of chili, no beans
> and I think perhaps intended to serve as just a little bit over the tops
> of them. Because it says there are only 4 servings. And the tamales are
> pretty low carb, IMO. I got chicken for Angela. Hers have less carbs.
> Black beans for me and they have 17g for 2 tamales.
>
> So I got my order and I was all happy and stuff but then? Angela pitched
> a fit when she heard of this! She actually does love tamales. I think
> she is thinking they are something else. Not sure. And when I told my
> mom, she freaked. She hates tamales. She always tells the story of her
> dad taking her downtown and buying tamales for the kids from a guy with a
> pushcart who sold them. And how her dad loved them but she hated them.
> No telling what the problem was there. She hasn't tried any since and
> won't. I loved them as a child but the only ones I ever got were in a
> frozen meal so really not authentic at all. Once in a while I would find
> them in a restaurant and order them. But they were almost always pork and
> I'm not too keen on pork.
>
> So... I asked Angela what she wanted for her Christmas meal and all she
> could come up with was peas. So I asked her if she wanted tuna casserole
> and she said, "Yes!" I will probably make her a box of the Mrs. Leepers
> stuff with the corn pasta. I think I only have to add water to it.
> Perhaps I have to add the tuna. Haven't made it in a long time. I
> actually never tried it but she loves it.
>
> I also have some whole wheat phyllo dough but not sure what I will do with
> it. I am thinking I will make little cups and fill them with baked apple
> slices.

My Daughter's Sister In-Law makes tamales every years...she always makes a
bunch for hubby and me, we put them in the freezer and steam a few at a
time...she makes great tamales. My Sister also makes them every year.
We will be going to my Daughter's for Christmas Dinner, there will be
Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing etc. I will bring a Nueske's Old Fashion
Ham and some AuGratin potatoes, I might also throw in some sausage cornbread
stuffing. There will be fresh veggies and dip, crab dip, shrimp on ice,
crackers, cheese and deli meats, for snacking before dinner. Pumpkin pie and
hopefully some minced meat pie , and Pecan Pie. I will try some of the food
but am actually there to be with my Grandkids and kids, again we will not
see my son and his family because he is stationed so far away .

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-12-2012 06:06 AM

"Jacquie" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> apple slices.
>>

> My Daughter's Sister In-Law makes tamales every years...she always makes a
> bunch for hubby and me, we put them in the freezer and steam a few at a
> time...she makes great tamales. My Sister also makes them every year.
> We will be going to my Daughter's for Christmas Dinner, there will be
> Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing etc. I will bring a Nueske's Old Fashion
> Ham and some AuGratin potatoes, I might also throw in some sausage
> cornbread stuffing. There will be fresh veggies and dip, crab dip, shrimp
> on ice, crackers, cheese and deli meats, for snacking before dinner.
> Pumpkin pie and hopefully some minced meat pie , and Pecan Pie. I will try
> some of the food but am actually there to be with my Grandkids and kids,
> again we will not see my son and his family because he is stationed so far

Great! I think I will make Strudel instead with the Phyllo but use far less
sugar than called for. Sounds easy enough to do. I remember making it many
years ago and I never used a recipe. Just slapped it together.

Colt T 18-12-2012 05:31 PM

Have you planned a Christmas meal?

Mac and cheese and canned pumpkin. Pumpkin may have twice as much alpha
carotene as carrots and carrots have super much more than whatever 3rd
place is. Yam type sweet potatoes may have a good bit tho.

W. Baker 18-12-2012 09:26 PM

Have you planned a Christmas meal?

Jacquie > wrote:

: "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: ...
: > For many years I have wanted to have tamales, after I read about how it
: > was a big family tradition for many people and oddly not just Latino
: > people. But I don't have the stuff to make them. So I was going to order
: > them online, but I kept forgetting to do that in time. Yes, I can get
: > some in the stores here but... Sadly one of the beef ones (sold at
: > Costco) has beef broth in them so I can't eat them. Albertsons used to
: > sell really good ones but haven't seen those in years. And I can get some
: > other frozen ones that are good but not wrapped in corn husks so in my
: > mind not authentic.
: >
[...]
Jaquie,

It all sounds delicious, but I will not be making any Christmas dinner as
it is not my holiday. I will , probably, be at my Synagogue where they
will be holding classes on assorted subjects of Jewish interest so we have
something to do all day rather than wtch oor listen to all the christmas
music, etc. should be just fine.

All of you , enjoy your holiday, as I have enjoyed mine. Eat well, enjoy
family and feel renewed for the yer coming up.

Wendy

W. Baker 18-12-2012 09:28 PM

Have you planned a Christmas meal?

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Jacquie" > wrote in message
: >>
: >> I also have some whole wheat phyllo dough but not sure what I will do
: >> with it. I am thinking I will make little cups and fill them with baked
: >> apple slices.
: >>

: Great! I think I will make Strudel instead with the Phyllo but use far less
: sugar than called for. Sounds easy enough to do. I remember making it many
: years ago and I never used a recipe. Just slapped it together.

Should work well with any artificial sweetener you choose.

Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-12-2012 11:40 PM

"Colt T" > wrote in message
> Mac and cheese and canned pumpkin. Pumpkin may have twice as much alpha
> carotene as carrots and carrots have super much more than whatever 3rd
> place is. Yam type sweet potatoes may have a good bit tho.

That's a lot of carbs!

Colt T 19-12-2012 12:36 AM

Have you planned a Christmas meal?

1/2 can of pumpkin only has 7 net gms.

Colt T 19-12-2012 12:47 AM

Have you planned a Christmas meal?

No, 12 net gm of carbs, it's plain pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling. I
expect to get a very good reading.

RodS 19-12-2012 01:21 PM

On 19/12/2012 8:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Colt T" > wrote in message
>> Mac and cheese and canned pumpkin. Pumpkin may have twice as much alpha
>> carotene as carrots and carrots have super much more than whatever 3rd
>> place is. Yam type sweet potatoes may have a good bit tho.

> That's a lot of carbs!

Now lets see roast chicken, roast pork, ham, baked vegies (Sweet potato,
potato, pumpkin, carrots), peas, gravy small serve plum pudding and
custard. Traditional dinner for me, sensible portions size but no
testing :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Julie Bove[_2_] 19-12-2012 08:00 PM

"RodS" > wrote in message ...
> On 19/12/2012 8:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Colt T" > wrote in message
>>> Mac and cheese and canned pumpkin. Pumpkin may have twice as much alpha
>>> carotene as carrots and carrots have super much more than whatever 3rd
>>> place is. Yam type sweet potatoes may have a good bit tho.

>> That's a lot of carbs!
>>

> Now lets see roast chicken, roast pork, ham, baked vegies (Sweet potato,
> potato, pumpkin, carrots), peas, gravy small serve plum pudding and
> custard. Traditional dinner for me, sensible portions size but no testing
> :-)

That's a lot of meat! I found out when we are doing our family celebration.
We're going to a restaurant and anyone who wants dessert can get it there.
No dessert at my parent's house. Yay! I have found that most of the time
when we do it this way, nobody gets dessert.

Ozgirl 20-12-2012 01:06 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> That's a lot of carbs!
>>>

>> Now lets see roast chicken, roast pork, ham, baked vegies (Sweet
>> potato, potato, pumpkin, carrots), peas, gravy small serve plum
>> pudding and custard. Traditional dinner for me, sensible portions
>> size but no testing :-)

> That's a lot of meat! I found out when we are doing our family
> celebration. We're going to a restaurant and anyone who wants dessert
> can get it there. No dessert at my parent's house. Yay! I have found
> that most of the time when we do it this way, nobody gets dessert.

3 meats are fairly traditional here. Chicken or turkey, the pork and in
our family, cold ham as well.

Jacquie 20-12-2012 04:09 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Now lets see roast chicken, roast pork, ham, baked vegies (Sweet potato,
>>> potato, pumpkin, carrots), peas, gravy small serve plum pudding and
>>> custard. Traditional dinner for me, sensible portions size but no
>>> testing :-)

>> That's a lot of meat! I found out when we are doing our family
>> celebration. We're going to a restaurant and anyone who wants dessert can
>> get it there. No dessert at my parent's house. Yay! I have found that
>> most of the time when we do it this way, nobody gets dessert.

> 3 meats are fairly traditional here. Chicken or turkey, the pork and in
> our family, cold ham as well.

We usually have Ham and Turkey on Christmas.

RodS 20-12-2012 04:16 AM

On 20/12/2012 10:06 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Now lets see roast chicken, roast pork, ham, baked vegies (Sweet
>>> potato, potato, pumpkin, carrots), peas, gravy small serve plum
>>> pudding and custard. Traditional dinner for me, sensible portions
>>> size but no testing :-)

>> That's a lot of meat! I found out when we are doing our family
>> celebration. We're going to a restaurant and anyone who wants dessert
>> can get it there. No dessert at my parent's house. Yay! I have found
>> that most of the time when we do it this way, nobody gets dessert.

> 3 meats are fairly traditional here. Chicken or turkey, the pork and in
> our family, cold ham as well.

Yep that's it, no Brussels sprouts tho, I hope never could get to like
them tho the poms seem to include them in every xmas menu I see. Not
Xmas without a leg of ham in the fridge :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Julie Bove[_2_] 20-12-2012 05:12 AM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Now lets see roast chicken, roast pork, ham, baked vegies (Sweet potato,
>>> potato, pumpkin, carrots), peas, gravy small serve plum pudding and
>>> custard. Traditional dinner for me, sensible portions size but no
>>> testing :-)

>> That's a lot of meat! I found out when we are doing our family
>> celebration. We're going to a restaurant and anyone who wants dessert can
>> get it there. No dessert at my parent's house. Yay! I have found that
>> most of the time when we do it this way, nobody gets dessert.

> 3 meats are fairly traditional here. Chicken or turkey, the pork and in
> our family, cold ham as well.

Really? Wow! Sometimes when my mom had the meal at her house she would do
two meats but only because someone wouldn't eat the main meat that she was
making. I guess we are just not big meat eaters. We're more likely to have
an assortment of veggies than several meats.