Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Have you planned your holiday meal?

I haven't, with the exception of breakfast for husband and Angela. I'm
making a sausage casserole that involves sweet Italian sauce, chunky
applesauce, brown sugar and maybe one or two other things. I do not use as
much brown sugar as it calls for. I just use a tiny amount. But still it
tastes far too sweet for me. So I don't eat it. I can prepare it the night
before and put it in the fridge. The sausage is cooked up ahead of time.
They love it!

No clue what we will be having for dinner on Christmas Eve or on Christmas
day. We are pretty non-traditional.

I do plan to make the cookies from the recipe that Wendy posted and also
some snowball no-bake cookies using gluten free oats.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no clue but would love that no bake recipe, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I haven't, with the exception of breakfast for husband and Angela. I'm
>making a sausage casserole that involves sweet Italian sauce, chunky
>applesauce, brown sugar and maybe one or two other things. I do not use as
>much brown sugar as it calls for. I just use a tiny amount. But still it
>tastes far too sweet for me. So I don't eat it. I can prepare it the
>night before and put it in the fridge. The sausage is cooked up ahead of
>time. They love it!
>
> No clue what we will be having for dinner on Christmas Eve or on Christmas
> day. We are pretty non-traditional.
>
> I do plan to make the cookies from the recipe that Wendy posted and also
> some snowball no-bake cookies using gluten free oats.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We are having a family dinner out a couple of days before Xmas as a
celebration for my son's 21st birthday (5th Jan). This is because we
will have as many of his family here all at once as was possible. By
Xmas day 2 daughters and 2 grandkids will have gone home/to other places
and my almost 21 year old son will be having Xmas lunch with his
girlfriend's aunt and the GF's extended family. My ex wants to come over
with his partner for dinner on Xmas Day (when my 4 youngest will be
here) and is bringing cold roast pork and turkey so I am happy with that
Means I only have to make up some salads. So Xmas looks like being
easy for me this year.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I haven't, with the exception of breakfast for husband and Angela.
> I'm making a sausage casserole that involves sweet Italian sauce,
> chunky applesauce, brown sugar and maybe one or two other things. I
> do not use as much brown sugar as it calls for. I just use a tiny
> amount. But still it tastes far too sweet for me. So I don't eat it.
> I can prepare it the night before and put it in the fridge. The
> sausage is cooked up ahead of time. They love it!
>
> No clue what we will be having for dinner on Christmas Eve or on
> Christmas day. We are pretty non-traditional.
>
> I do plan to make the cookies from the recipe that Wendy posted and
> also some snowball no-bake cookies using gluten free oats.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> We are having a family dinner out a couple of days before Xmas as a
> celebration for my son's 21st birthday (5th Jan). This is because we
> will have as many of his family here all at once as was possible. By
> Xmas day 2 daughters and 2 grandkids will have gone home/to other places
> and my almost 21 year old son will be having Xmas lunch with his
> girlfriend's aunt and the GF's extended family. My ex wants to come over
> with his partner for dinner on Xmas Day (when my 4 youngest will be
> here) and is bringing cold roast pork and turkey so I am happy with that
> Means I only have to make up some salads. So Xmas looks like being
> easy for me this year.
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> > I haven't, with the exception of breakfast for husband and Angela.
> > I'm making a sausage casserole that involves sweet Italian sauce,
> > chunky applesauce, brown sugar and maybe one or two other things. I
> > do not use as much brown sugar as it calls for. I just use a tiny
> > amount. But still it tastes far too sweet for me. So I don't eat it.
> > I can prepare it the night before and put it in the fridge. The
> > sausage is cooked up ahead of time. They love it!
> >
> > No clue what we will be having for dinner on Christmas Eve or on
> > Christmas day. We are pretty non-traditional.
> >
> > I do plan to make the cookies from the recipe that Wendy posted and
> > also some snowball no-bake cookies using gluten free oats.

A 10" x 16" x 4" baking dish of Eggplant Parmigiana & Baked Lasagna (1/2
each). It won't last long, with 8 each, adults and kids. Jun will probably
make 2 or 3 kinds of sausage and other stuff, too.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> no clue but would love that no bake recipe, Lee

Note: I have not tried these so don't know if they are good.

http://www.worldofchristmas.net/chri...snowballs.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> We are having a family dinner out a couple of days before Xmas as a
> celebration for my son's 21st birthday (5th Jan). This is because we will
> have as many of his family here all at once as was possible. By Xmas day 2
> daughters and 2 grandkids will have gone home/to other places and my
> almost 21 year old son will be having Xmas lunch with his girlfriend's
> aunt and the GF's extended family. My ex wants to come over with his
> partner for dinner on Xmas Day (when my 4 youngest will be here) and is
> bringing cold roast pork and turkey so I am happy with that Means I
> only have to make up some salads. So Xmas looks like being easy for me
> this year.

That sounds good!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> > I haven't, with the exception of breakfast for husband and Angela.
>> > I'm making a sausage casserole that involves sweet Italian sauce,
>> > chunky applesauce, brown sugar and maybe one or two other things. I
>> > do not use as much brown sugar as it calls for. I just use a tiny
>> > amount. But still it tastes far too sweet for me. So I don't eat it.
>> > I can prepare it the night before and put it in the fridge. The
>> > sausage is cooked up ahead of time. They love it!
>> >
>> > No clue what we will be having for dinner on Christmas Eve or on
>> > Christmas day. We are pretty non-traditional.
>> >
>> > I do plan to make the cookies from the recipe that Wendy posted and
>> > also some snowball no-bake cookies using gluten free oats.

> A 10" x 16" x 4" baking dish of Eggplant Parmigiana & Baked Lasagna (1/2
> each). It won't last long, with 8 each, adults and kids. Jun will probably
> make 2 or 3 kinds of sausage and other stuff, too.

That sounds good!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> no clue but would love that no bake recipe, Lee

> Note: I have not tried these so don't know if they are good.
>
> http://www.worldofchristmas.net/chri...snowballs.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sounds good, Jan

should i give you the broccoli salad recipe? the one my mother made for
Christmas a few years ago, and because everything was sugar laden, i
tucked into the broccoli salad as a "free vegetable"

i could NOT figure out why my bg was over 18 when i got home and tested,
so i asked my mother for the recipe......... 3 cups of brocolli, 1 cup
of mayo, 1 cup of sugar............. i didn't read any further, i must
have had 1/3 cup of SUGAR in the salad that i ate.. this has been a
continuing problem in the "oh, a little sugar isn't going to hurt you" theme

oh well, i know only eat a VERY little and try to stick to the meat,
unless it's another honey glazed ham with extra honey put on it

they don't get it

kate

On 12/15/2010 1:17 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> We are having a family dinner out a couple of days before Xmas as a
> celebration for my son's 21st birthday (5th Jan). This is because we
> will have as many of his family here all at once as was possible. By
> Xmas day 2 daughters and 2 grandkids will have gone home/to other places
> and my almost 21 year old son will be having Xmas lunch with his
> girlfriend's aunt and the GF's extended family. My ex wants to come over
> with his partner for dinner on Xmas Day (when my 4 youngest will be
> here) and is bringing cold roast pork and turkey so I am happy with that
> Means I only have to make up some salads. So Xmas looks like being
> easy for me this year.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

?I am making a turkey and some easy sides this year nothing fancy.

older I get the less I bother with trying to make things fancy and
perfect..just is unneeded stress and the simplest meals are often the best.

one year I made a 12 course dinner..cost like 400 dollars in groceries..was
very silly.

this year I'm spending 12 on the turkey..maybe 20 on the sides..good
nuff....lol

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote ...

We are having a family dinner out a couple of days before Xmas as a
celebration for my son's 21st birthday (5th Jan). This is because we
will have as many of his family here all at once as was possible. By
Xmas day 2 daughters and 2 grandkids will have gone home/to other places
and my almost 21 year old son will be having Xmas lunch with his
girlfriend's aunt and the GF's extended family. My ex wants to come over
with his partner for dinner on Xmas Day (when my 4 youngest will be
here) and is bringing cold roast pork and turkey so I am happy with that
Means I only have to make up some salads. So Xmas looks like being
easy for me this year.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> sounds good, Jan
>
> should i give you the broccoli salad recipe? the one my mother made for
> Christmas a few years ago, and because everything was sugar laden, i
> tucked into the broccoli salad as a "free vegetable"
>
> i could NOT figure out why my bg was over 18 when i got home and tested,
> so i asked my mother for the recipe......... 3 cups of brocolli, 1 cup of
> mayo, 1 cup of sugar............. i didn't read any further, i must have
> had 1/3 cup of SUGAR in the salad that i ate.. this has been a continuing
> problem in the "oh, a little sugar isn't going to hurt you" theme
>

> oh well, i know only eat a VERY little and try to stick to the meat,
> unless it's another honey glazed ham with extra honey put on it
>
> they don't get it

My friend made a broccoli salad like that. It had bacon in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I haven't, with the exception of breakfast for husband and Angela. I'm
>making a sausage casserole that involves sweet Italian sauce, chunky
>applesauce, brown sugar and maybe one or two other things. I do not use as
>much brown sugar as it calls for. I just use a tiny amount. But still it
>tastes far too sweet for me. So I don't eat it. I can prepare it the
>night before and put it in the fridge. The sausage is cooked up ahead of
>time. They love it!
>
> No clue what we will be having for dinner on Christmas Eve or on Christmas
> day. We are pretty non-traditional.
>
> I do plan to make the cookies from the recipe that Wendy posted and also
> some snowball no-bake cookies using gluten free oats.

Going to my Daughters House...her menu is Turkey and Ham, Mashed Potatoes,
Stuffing, (Traditional and Cornbread), Salad, Sweet Potatoes, rolls, Green
Bean Casserole, a couple other veggies. Pies for dessert.....I love that I
don't have to cook anymore

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I haven't, with the exception of breakfast for husband and Angela. I'm
>>making a sausage casserole that involves sweet Italian sauce, chunky
>>applesauce, brown sugar and maybe one or two other things. I do not use
>>as much brown sugar as it calls for. I just use a tiny amount. But still
>>it tastes far too sweet for me. So I don't eat it. I can prepare it the
>>night before and put it in the fridge. The sausage is cooked up ahead of
>>time. They love it!
>>
>> No clue what we will be having for dinner on Christmas Eve or on
>> Christmas day. We are pretty non-traditional.
>>
>> I do plan to make the cookies from the recipe that Wendy posted and also
>> some snowball no-bake cookies using gluten free oats.
>>

> Going to my Daughters House...her menu is Turkey and Ham, Mashed Potatoes,
> Stuffing, (Traditional and Cornbread), Salad, Sweet Potatoes, rolls, Green
> Bean Casserole, a couple other veggies. Pies for dessert.....I love that I
> don't have to cook anymore

Yeah, I am getting to the point where I don't like cooking stuff like that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/16/2010 3:20 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> sounds good, Jan
>>
>> should i give you the broccoli salad recipe? the one my mother made for
>> Christmas a few years ago, and because everything was sugar laden, i
>> tucked into the broccoli salad as a "free vegetable"
>>
>> i could NOT figure out why my bg was over 18 when i got home and tested,
>> so i asked my mother for the recipe......... 3 cups of brocolli, 1 cup of
>> mayo, 1 cup of sugar............. i didn't read any further, i must have
>> had 1/3 cup of SUGAR in the salad that i ate.. this has been a continuing
>> problem in the "oh, a little sugar isn't going to hurt you" theme
>>

>> oh well, i know only eat a VERY little and try to stick to the meat,
>> unless it's another honey glazed ham with extra honey put on it
>>
>> they don't get it
>>

> My friend made a broccoli salad like that. It had bacon in it.

yup, bacon was one of the items in this recipe

i was LIVID when i got the recipe, but i couldn't say a word.........
how will i get future recipes then??

i did comment that the recipe was lovely, i would use more garlic and
bacon and a lower amount of sugar, probably a sweetener/sugar replacement

i felt i was very polite

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 12/16/2010 3:20 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Tiger > wrote in message
>>> sounds good, Jan
>>>
>>> should i give you the broccoli salad recipe? the one my mother made for
>>> Christmas a few years ago, and because everything was sugar laden, i
>>> tucked into the broccoli salad as a "free vegetable"
>>>
>>> i could NOT figure out why my bg was over 18 when i got home and tested,
>>> so i asked my mother for the recipe......... 3 cups of brocolli, 1 cup
>>> of
>>> mayo, 1 cup of sugar............. i didn't read any further, i must have
>>> had 1/3 cup of SUGAR in the salad that i ate.. this has been a
>>> continuing
>>> problem in the "oh, a little sugar isn't going to hurt you" theme
>>>

>>> oh well, i know only eat a VERY little and try to stick to the meat,
>>> unless it's another honey glazed ham with extra honey put on it
>>>
>>> they don't get it
>>>

>> My friend made a broccoli salad like that. It had bacon in it.
>>

> yup, bacon was one of the items in this recipe
>
> i was LIVID when i got the recipe, but i couldn't say a word......... how
> will i get future recipes then??
>
> i did comment that the recipe was lovely, i would use more garlic and
> bacon and a lower amount of sugar, probably a sweetener/sugar replacement
>
> i felt i was very polite

My friend made it long before I had diabetes. But it does bug me how people
just don't get it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
0.14...
> On Thu 16 Dec 2010 08:14:36a, Storrmmee told us...
>
>> thanks, Lee

>>> Note: I have not tried these so don't know if they are good.
>>>
>>> http://www.worldofchristmas.net/chri...ristmas-cookie
>>> s/eskimo-snowballs.html

> We're having baked ham, roasted sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, a
> mixture of turnip, mustard, and collard greens, along with the
> turnips, and a mixed green salad with blue cheese dressing. Dessert
> will be a chocolate chiffon pie in a crushed pecan crust, all
> sweetened with Splenda.
>
> Certainly not the worst mneal, but also probably not the best. Still
> it's hard to make a really festive holiday dinner that is toally
> "safe", IMO.

I guess our meals aren't necessarily festive. I do sometimes make a pasta
and shrimp dish for husband that contains a ton of garlic. SIL will eat
some of that but nobody else will. And we do have dessert. That is what
makes it different than the rest of the meals.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Here's a broccoli salad recipe I got from my late MIL a long time ago. It's
very tasty and does not have sugar. (It includes some ingredients that I
personally never use--onion salt and seasoned salt and canned bacon
bits--but it is perfectly possible to substitute plain salt and cook your
own bacon.) Although I am normally NOT a fan of raw broccoli that has not
been at least blanched, it actually "cooks" in the marinade in this recipe
and is very good. I think it is important that the pieces be small enough,
but not "chopped."

1 head fresh broccoli, cut into small bite-sized pieces
1 head cauliflower, cut into small bite-sized pieces
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and chopped into rings (about 1/4 inch)
optional: 1/2 cup diced celery
Combine and marinate at least overnight in dressing.

Dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1Tbs lemon juice
onion salt to taste
seasoned salt to taste

Before serving, run 3C boiling water over tiny frozen peas and add to
vegetables. (I assume the intended quantity is equal to a standard small box
or small bag of frozen peas. Diabetics could, of course, leave them out or
reduce the amount.)
Add 1/2 can real bacon bits--this is what it says, so use your own judgement
<G> -- and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (or Romano) cheese.
Toss well with marinated vegetables. Serves 6-8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This will be my first diabetic Christmas. I usually cook something like
shrimp etouffee, but of course that goes over rice and uses flour in the
roux. Maybe I'll make bouillabaise. I usually make something like Savannah
Trifle for dessert, but that's out. Maybe I'll make some kind of trifle
using low carb brownies made with almond meal. (Note to self: have to try
out that recipe!)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> sounds good, Jan
>
> should i give you the broccoli salad recipe?

Yes please

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thank you, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Here's a broccoli salad recipe I got from my late MIL a long time ago.
> It's very tasty and does not have sugar. (It includes some ingredients
> that I personally never use--onion salt and seasoned salt and canned bacon
> bits--but it is perfectly possible to substitute plain salt and cook your
> own bacon.) Although I am normally NOT a fan of raw broccoli that has not
> been at least blanched, it actually "cooks" in the marinade in this recipe
> and is very good. I think it is important that the pieces be small enough,
> but not "chopped."
>
> 1 head fresh broccoli, cut into small bite-sized pieces
> 1 head cauliflower, cut into small bite-sized pieces
> 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and chopped into rings (about 1/4 inch)
> optional: 1/2 cup diced celery
> Combine and marinate at least overnight in dressing.
>
> Dressing:
> 1/2 cup mayonnaise
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1Tbs lemon juice
> onion salt to taste
> seasoned salt to taste
>
> Before serving, run 3C boiling water over tiny frozen peas and add to
> vegetables. (I assume the intended quantity is equal to a standard small
> box or small bag of frozen peas. Diabetics could, of course, leave them
> out or reduce the amount.)
> Add 1/2 can real bacon bits--this is what it says, so use your own
> judgement <G> -- and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (or Romano) cheese.
> Toss well with marinated vegetables. Serves 6-8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

tyvm

this is a recipe i can use

kate

On 12/17/2010 5:50 AM, Janet wrote:
> Here's a broccoli salad recipe I got from my late MIL a long time ago. It's
> very tasty and does not have sugar. (It includes some ingredients that I
> personally never use--onion salt and seasoned salt and canned bacon
> bits--but it is perfectly possible to substitute plain salt and cook your
> own bacon.) Although I am normally NOT a fan of raw broccoli that has not
> been at least blanched, it actually "cooks" in the marinade in this recipe
> and is very good. I think it is important that the pieces be small enough,
> but not "chopped."
>
> 1 head fresh broccoli, cut into small bite-sized pieces
> 1 head cauliflower, cut into small bite-sized pieces
> 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and chopped into rings (about 1/4 inch)
> optional: 1/2 cup diced celery
> Combine and marinate at least overnight in dressing.
>
> Dressing:
> 1/2 cup mayonnaise
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1Tbs lemon juice
> onion salt to taste
> seasoned salt to taste
>
> Before serving, run 3C boiling water over tiny frozen peas and add to
> vegetables. (I assume the intended quantity is equal to a standard small box
> or small bag of frozen peas. Diabetics could, of course, leave them out or
> reduce the amount.)
> Add 1/2 can real bacon bits--this is what it says, so use your own judgement
> <G> -- and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (or Romano) cheese.
> Toss well with marinated vegetables. Serves 6-8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/17/2010 6:19 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> sounds good, Jan
>>
>> should i give you the broccoli salad recipe?

> Yes please

tee hee, see the rest of this thread, Janet posted a broccoli salad
recipe that IS diabetic friendly

and there are other variations on the recipe that my mother made also
given by the good posters here (i won't name you all as i'll miss
someone and not be happy with that!)

kate