Old 31-08-2012, 02:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you eat tofu?

I tried making some tonight because I was told it was a good thing to eat
for protein when you have gout. It didn't go over some well. Granted I
didn't have some of the ingredients that the recipe called for. Namely
Tamari and fresh ginger. The only other ingredient was a lot of fresh
garlic which I did have. I used the regular soy sauce that I did have and a
little powdered ginger. I also added some green onions because some of the
reviewers for the recipe said that it didn't have a lot of flavor. You're
supposed to cut it (extra firm tofu) in cubes, marinate it in the other
ingredients then fry it for 20 minutes in a little oil.

I also made some fried rice as best I could given the dietary limitations.
For the vegetables I used zucchini and yellow summer squash, green onion,
carrot, celery and 3 colors of bell pepper. The rice was brown and I used
some of that egg product that is really only the whites of the egg colored
yellow. Also garlic and soy sauce. Angela said that was good. But I did
make a ton of it hoping that my husband would eat that. I had hoped if I
didn't provide much else besides fruit and veg, he might just eat that. But
it's looking like he won't.

We have to go shopping tomorrow for some more groceries. So how else can I
fix the tofu? Yes, I know it can be used in place of cheese but I don't
need to do that because cheese isn't bad for gout.

Or maybe I should just skip it totally. I think maybe he would be more
likely to eat scrambled eggs with vegetables and a side of toast.

I've never really had to deal with tofu before. I think I may have tried it
once when I was younger and didn't like it. And I know I have had it a few
times in a restaurant and didn't like it. But he usually likes foreign
foods and loves garlic. I have found that he and the men in his family will
eat pretty much anything so long as I put enough garlic or hot pepper in it.
But this seems not to apply to the tofu.

Old 31-08-2012, 02:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I love tofu in stir frys with veggies.

Cheri

Old 31-08-2012, 03:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! I guess I hadn't really thought this one through. Stir fries are
one thing nobody in this house will eat. Fried rice apparently being the
exception. Angela said he did eat all of his rice. I tossed the rest of
the tofu.

Old 31-08-2012, 09:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
[...]

Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
cooked with.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Old 31-08-2012, 04:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
: Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
: fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
: ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
: cooked with.

: Thanks!

If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu at
one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.

Wendy
Old 31-08-2012, 05:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Nick Cramer" wrote in message
:
: Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's
added
: fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
: ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
: cooked with.

: Thanks!

If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu at
one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.

I don't think he likes it but I don't know.

Old 31-08-2012, 08:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
cooked with.

I grew up eating tofu, and when I was a kid it was somewhat exotic. We
had to buy it (out of a bucket) from the back of an Asian gift store on
Broadway or go down to Chinatown. We never dreamed of growing up in a
world in which we could buy it in most supermarkets.

I have a tub in my fridge right now. I use it in stirfries, sour-hot
soup, pork soup with cabbage, and so on.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 31-08-2012, 08:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

: "Nick Cramer" wrote in message
:
: Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
: fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
: ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
: cooked with.

: Thanks!

If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu at
one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.

Wendy

I think I posted a recipe for sour-hot soup here a few months ago.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 31-08-2012, 10:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I used to like the Chinese firm tofu (bean curd) in stir frys better
than the mushier Japanese tofu.

I have to avoid soy products now because of thyroid disease.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 31-08-2012, 10:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Julie Bove wrote:
:
: : "Nick Cramer" wrote in message
: :
: : Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
: : fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
: : ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
: : cooked with.
:
: : Thanks!
:
: If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
: a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu at
: one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
: like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.
:
: Wendy

: I think I posted a recipe for sour-hot soup here a few months ago.

: PP
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm
I seem to remember that too, but I checked my recipe file but had not
saved it. Perhaps too much pork or something like that, because I just
love that soup!

Wendy
Old 31-08-2012, 11:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

Un has used it in soups, noodle and Thai curry dishes for me. She's added
fish, chicken, pork, daikon, bok choi and of course, garlic, mushroom,
ginger, hot peppers, etc. It seems to absorb the flavors of what it's
cooked with.

I grew up eating tofu, and when I was a kid it was somewhat exotic. We
had to buy it (out of a bucket) from the back of an Asian gift store on
Broadway or go down to Chinatown. We never dreamed of growing up in a
world in which we could buy it in most supermarkets.

I have a tub in my fridge right now. I use it in stirfries, sour-hot
soup, pork soup with cabbage, and so on.

Thanks! I don't think any of that would work for gout, except for the stir
fries which nobody in this house will eat.

Old 31-08-2012, 11:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
b.com...
I used to like the Chinese firm tofu (bean curd) in stir frys better than
the mushier Japanese tofu.

I have to avoid soy products now because of thyroid disease.

Yeah. Angela and I avoid soy for the same reasons. I guess I will just try
serving him some egg product instead. He didn't touch the tofu. No sense
in trying it again.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:
Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:
: If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
: a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu
: at
: one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
: like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.
: I think I posted a recipe for sour-hot soup here a few months ago.
I seem to remember that too, but I checked my recipe file but had not
saved it. Perhaps too much pork or something like that, because I just
love that soup!

You can adapt it not to have any pork. Dark meat chicken would do
great, I would think.

PP
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:
: Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: : In article ,
: : "W. Baker" wrote:
: : If your husband like hot and sour soup, it can be made vegetarian without
: : a meat broth. I don't have a recipe but had one from a package of tofu
: : at
: : one time. You might try gooling for it. You can make a peppery as you
: : like and that is the source of the heat for that soup.
: : I think I posted a recipe for sour-hot soup here a few months ago.
: I seem to remember that too, but I checked my recipe file but had not
: saved it. Perhaps too much pork or something like that, because I just
: love that soup!

: You can adapt it not to have any pork. Dark meat chicken would do
: great, I would think.

: PP

Since I can't find your recipe, woul you min sendign it either to the
group or to me? As the evenings are getting cooler up hee in the
mountains and today I even wore a light flannel shirt, it is time to think
of hot soups again and thatcan be a nic elow carb one if not thickened
with cornsstarch. I wonder how it would be with an egg in it as a kind of
hot and sour egg drop soup:-) kind of a mixed soupaphore.

Wendy

tofu tert in seattle General Cooking 37 09-12-2013 05:05 AM
Curried Tofu Apple Soup (Tofu) workingonit Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2010 04:05 AM
Tofu [email protected] General Cooking 4 04-08-2005 05:19 PM
Tofu Onion Dip Duckie Recipes 0 19-07-2005 11:19 PM
tofu and gas Jai Vegan 12 09-02-2004 01:57 AM