Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Do you eat tofu?

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > : I grew up eating tofu, and when I was a kid it was somewhat exotic. We
: > : had to buy it (out of a bucket) from the back of an Asian gift store on
: > : Broadway or go down to Chinatown. We never dreamed of growing up in a
: > : world in which we could buy it in most supermarkets.
: >
: > : I have a tub in my fridge right now. I use it in stirfries, sour-hot
: > : soup, pork soup with cabbage, and so on.
: >
: > I remember getting that both at Fairay and at the small Korean produce adn
: > a few other things stores that were so common in my earlier married days.
: > they seem to all have disappeared. I guess that first generation that
: > ran these store is now retired anad the kids have all gone to college and
: > have other kinds of jobs now.
: >
: > I also miss that tofu. I think it kind of hung together better.

: The tofu I get at Asian markets is that kind. I much prefer it to the
: "crunchy granola" tofu that's sold at places like the food co-op and
: Whole Foods. Nowadays the tofu in the Asian markets in those plastic
: tubs -- rectangular tubs with sheet plastic across the top for one or
: two bricks and quart or larger buckets with lids for 4-6 bricks. It can
: have writing in pretty much any Asian language on it. I think I've
: eaten Vietnamese, Cambodian, or Thai tofu that's indistinguishable from
: what I grew up eating.

: BTW, I'm coming down to NYC over Columbus Day weekend so my niece can
: look over Columbia and NYU. I don't think we're going to have a spare
: moment (and I don't know yet where we're staying), but I wish I could
: stop by the West 90s and say "hi!" I don't think she's going to end up
: in NYC (I'm trying to get her to think about Swarthmore and Brown*), but
: if she does, we'll have to get together for a cup of tea or something
: some time when I'm down visiting her!

: Priscilla

: * She was babbling on about California (Pomona, Stamford, etc.), and I
: panicked, thinking, "Who's going to pay for her plane tickets?" which is
: what got me putting ideas about NYC, Philadelphia, and Providence in her
: head. Harvard is out because it's too much where she grew up. OK,
: she'll move away for college, but not across the country!
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm

Reminds meof the old jewsih story about how a child can never move more
than lamb chop defrosting distance. It can be by foot, bus, car, train or
plain, but never , by whaatever means longer to get there than the time
it takes a lamb chop to defrost in the mother's purse. I guess it's aunt
in your case:-)

Wendy