Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Do you eat tofu?

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> When we lived in NY we used to get Teriyaki chicken sticks. The kids loved
> them. I don't think they're authentic at all. Is Teriyaki even Chinese? I
> thought it was Japanese but I could be wrong.

Japanese. Don't you see it in Japanese restaurants?

One way to figure out if something is Japanese or Chinese is look at the
number of syllables in the words. If there is more than one syllable,
it's probably Japanese. If it's all words of one syllable, chances are
it's Chinese. Korean can go either way.

Hence:

teriyaki = Japanese (see also words ending in -yaki, -nabe, etc.)
shumai = Japanese

mu shu gai pan (moo shoo guy pan) = Chinese (chicken stirfry
w/mushrooms)
bao bing (bow bing) = Chinese (pancakes for mu shu ro)
won ton = Chinese

bulgogi = Korean
kimchee or kim chi (fermented cabbage) = Korean

Priscilla