Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> *Runs to bathroom to puke*
>>>
>>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>>> top. I
>>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

>> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
>> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
>> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>> sugar, nothing nicer.

> Maybe it's more of a US thing. When I was a kid, my mom made that
> sweet potato casserole with marshmallows browned on top every time she
> made a ham or a turkey, and all holidays. Errrrrrrk. She also used to
> stick those whole cloves all over hams, with the pineapple slices and
> marachino cherries in the pineapple holes. I could handle the
> pineapple/cherries, but not the cloves stuck in. Another huge
> Errrrrrrk.

I recall we only had the cloves in the ham not the cherries and
pineapple but I have seen pics of it like you describe. I don't mind
cloves, I put it in stewed apples.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>>
>> There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
>> And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
>> didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
>> American style steakhouses.

> That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at
> all. They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.
>
> We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style
> place with Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a
> flower, battered and deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.

I have tasted or even seen anything like that, lol. At the Lonestar
restaurants - the steakhouses I mentioned - they do a wonderful Tex Mex
steak. I have that with the sweet potato option and the obligatory free
salad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl > wrote:
>>

>> : "RodS" > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> : > On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> : >> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>> : >> top. I
>> : >> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
>> : >
>> : > Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
>> : > either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
>> : > led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>> : > sugar, nothing nicer.
>>
>> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
>> : Everyone but me was buying them.
>> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
>> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
>> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows
>> on
>> : my sweet potato?
>>
>> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
>> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
>> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
>> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
>> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
>> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
>> pineapple on top.
>>
>> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
>> made
>> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions. As our
>> thanksgiving meal alwasy had meat(turkey) we never even tried this dish,
>> but it never filled me with confidence as a gourmet treat:-) I think it
>> is thought of as a fancy vegetable tht is not difficult to make,
>> paratiularly if you use frozen string beans, which is the only kind many
>> peole know, evcept for those soggy canned ones. I know Julie was raised
>> on them, but I never could stand them.
>> to each hir own.
>>
>> Wendy

> Canned onions? Wow, is there nothing you can't buy in a can there? As a
> child the only veggie other than potato that I would eat was canned peas
> I would eat them from the can lol. Although I do recall I ate some raw
> peas sometimes as I was helping my mother shell them. I spread my wings a
> bit when I started eating tomato sandwiches in my younger teens, but they
> had to be very ripe, with lots of salt and on the bread at least a couple
> of hours. It wasn't until I started WW in my early 20's (after putting on
> weight after marrying at 17 and having two kids) that I started to eat
> lots of veggies. It was that or starve. Now, I can't imagine not having
> veggies, I even prefer them over anything else.

These are not regular onions. They are fried in some sort of batter, I
think. I only ever bought them once and that was many years ago. The "can"
is actually a round cardboard box with a coating on it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>

>> : > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>> :>> top. I
>> :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
>> :>
>> :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
>> :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
>> :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>> :> sugar, nothing nicer.
>>
>> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
>> : Everyone but me was buying them.
>> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
>> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
>> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows
>> on
>> : my sweet potato?
>>
>> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
>> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
>> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
>> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
>> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
>> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
>> pineapple on top.
>>
>> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
>> made
>> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like canned
> chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine. What other
> novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen fried grasshoppers,
> not a big seller though.

Why is canned chicken hard to imagine? It was a common thing to make during
the depression.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 18/03/2011 7:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>>
>> There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
>> And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
>> didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
>> American style steakhouses.

> That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at all.
> They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.
>
> We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style place with
> Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a flower, battered and
> deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.

I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many Aussies
involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming" since umm
ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that would show an
Aussie involved in it somewhere.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> I recall we only had the cloves in the ham not the cherries and pineapple
> but I have seen pics of it like you describe. I don't mind cloves, I put
> it in stewed apples.

I did that huge ham with the pineapples, cherries and cloves that time when
I threw my back out taking it out of the oven. And then nobody ate it. I
didn't know that my husband didn't like ham. I hate it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 18/03/2011 7:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Ozgirl wrote:
>>>
>>> There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
>>> And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
>>> didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
>>> American style steakhouses.

>> That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at all.
>> They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.
>>
>> We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style place
>> with
>> Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a flower, battered
>> and
>> deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.
>>

> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many Aussies
> involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming" since umm ummm
> *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that would show an Aussie
> involved in it somewhere.

Eeeeeew.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 18/03/2011 7:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Ozgirl wrote:
>>>
>>> There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
>>> And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
>>> didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
>>> American style steakhouses.

>> That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at all.
>> They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.
>>
>> We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style place
>> with
>> Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a flower, battered
>> and
>> deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.
>>

> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many Aussies
> involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming" since umm ummm
> *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that would show an Aussie
> involved in it somewhere.

Ewww.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:04:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> : > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>>> :>> top. I
>>> :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
>>> :>
>>> :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
>>> :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
>>> :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>>> :> sugar, nothing nicer.
>>>
>>> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
>>> : Everyone but me was buying them.
>>> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
>>> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
>>> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows
>>> on
>>> : my sweet potato?
>>>
>>> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
>>> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
>>> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
>>> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
>>> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
>>> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
>>> pineapple on top.
>>>
>>> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
>>> made
>>> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

>> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like canned
>> chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine. What other
>> novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen fried grasshoppers,
>> not a big seller though.

>Why is canned chicken hard to imagine? It was a common thing to make during
>the depression.

They have canned chicken breast meat in short fat cans in Sam's Club.
It is a nice easy meal to make in a hurry. Good to make a fast
chicken salad out of.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> They have canned chicken breast meat in short fat cans in Sam's Club.
> It is a nice easy meal to make in a hurry. Good to make a fast
> chicken salad out of.

Angela loves it with the Costco brand sesame dressing, some kind of greens,
baby carrots and black olives.

I like the single serve cans for a quick meal for her. If I don't make the
salad, then I just add some rice, pasta or potatoes.

Also good for soup when you are to sick to really cook anything.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS > wrote:
: On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: > > wrote:
: >
: >
: > : > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >
: > :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
: > :>> top. I
: > :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
: > :>
[...]

: (- -)
: =m=(_)=m=
: RodS T2
: Australia

Remember that in the US, pupkin refers only to the one kind of winter hard
shelled squash that is used eithe rfor Jack-O'Lanterns or Pumpkin pie.
this is the kind that is found in cans so aas to make making the pie
easier.

Canned chicken strikes me as the pits too, but in books on home canning
there are recipes for canning all kinds of meat. I assume these come from
teh days when there was no refrigeration and was one way to preserve meat
after slaughter .

The french fried onions are almost a snack kind of food, greasy and crisp
with a batter to us either alone or as a crunchy topping for something
like that string bean casserole. Not really considered a real food.

They you guys do have Vegemite. One can never acount for national
preferecnes:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>

>> : > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on
>> the
>> :>> top. I
>> :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
>> :>
>> :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a
>> vegetable
>> :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must
>> have
>> :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>> :> sugar, nothing nicer.
>>
>> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato
>> fries.
>> : Everyone but me was buying them.
>> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned
>> sweet
>> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it
>> Did
>> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting
>> marshmallows on
>> : my sweet potato?
>>
>> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
>> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped
>> with
>> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
>> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even
>> in
>> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like
>> pumpkin
>> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
>> pineapple on top.
>>
>> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
>> made
>> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like
> canned chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine.
> What other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen
> fried grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

I have seen the canned chicken here, only once but quite recently. I had
no urge to buy it

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> : > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on
>>> the
>>> :>> top. I
>>> :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
>>> :>
>>> :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a
>>> vegetable
>>> :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must
>>> have
>>> :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>>> :> sugar, nothing nicer.
>>>
>>> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato
>>> fries.
>>> : Everyone but me was buying them.
>>> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned
>>> sweet
>>> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it
>>> Did
>>> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting
>>> marshmallows on
>>> : my sweet potato?
>>>
>>> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
>>> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped
>>> with
>>> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
>>> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites
>>> even in
>>> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like
>>> pumpkin
>>> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
>>> pineapple on top.
>>>
>>> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean
>>> cassarole made
>>> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

>> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like
>> canned chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to
>> imagine. What other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have*
>> seen fried grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

> Why is canned chicken hard to imagine? It was a common thing to make
> during the depression.

Heh, not here When I was very young I was rooting through a kitchen
drawer and found some ration stamps one was for sugar, I think the
other tea. I wish I had them now for memorabilia. My family (parents,
grandparents etc) lived mostly on bread and dripping and the few items
they could buy with stamps. Canned chicken would have been the biggest
treat on earth for Australians during the depression.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> They have canned chicken breast meat in short fat cans in Sam's Club.
>> It is a nice easy meal to make in a hurry. Good to make a fast
>> chicken salad out of.

> Angela loves it with the Costco brand sesame dressing, some kind of
> greens, baby carrots and black olives.
>
> I like the single serve cans for a quick meal for her. If I don't
> make the salad, then I just add some rice, pasta or potatoes.
>
> Also good for soup when you are to sick to really cook anything.

The thought of eating that when well is enough to make me toss my
bikkies

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> hard
> shelled squash that is used eithe rfor Jack-O'Lanterns or Pumpkin pie.
> this is the kind that is found in cans so aas to make making the pie
> easier.
>
> Canned chicken strikes me as the pits too, but in books on home
> canning
> there are recipes for canning all kinds of meat. I assume these come
> from
> teh days when there was no refrigeration and was one way to preserve
> meat
> after slaughter .
>
> The french fried onions are almost a snack kind of food, greasy and
> crisp
> with a batter to us either alone or as a crunchy topping for something
> like that string bean casserole. Not really considered a real food.
>
> They you guys do have Vegemite. One can never acount for national

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like canned
>>> chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine. What
>>> other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen fried
>>> grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

>> Why is canned chicken hard to imagine? It was a common thing to make
>> during the depression.

> Heh, not here When I was very young I was rooting through a kitchen
> drawer and found some ration stamps one was for sugar, I think the other
> tea. I wish I had them now for memorabilia. My family (parents,
> grandparents etc) lived mostly on bread and dripping and the few items
> they could buy with stamps. Canned chicken would have been the biggest
> treat on earth for Australians during the depression.

I had some ration tokens, but the box they were in didn't seem to make it
here when we moved. Neither did my yearbooks or scrapbook. No great loss
really since I never really looked at those things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>>> They have canned chicken breast meat in short fat cans in Sam's Club.
>>> It is a nice easy meal to make in a hurry. Good to make a fast
>>> chicken salad out of.

>> Angela loves it with the Costco brand sesame dressing, some kind of
>> greens, baby carrots and black olives.
>>
>> I like the single serve cans for a quick meal for her. If I don't make
>> the salad, then I just add some rice, pasta or potatoes.
>>
>> Also good for soup when you are to sick to really cook anything.

> The thought of eating that when well is enough to make me toss my bikkies

Well, Angela and I like it!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 18/03/2011 11:24 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> : > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>>> :>> top. I
>>> :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
>>> :>
>>> :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
>>> :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
>>> :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>>> :> sugar, nothing nicer.
>>>
>>> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
>>> : Everyone but me was buying them.
>>> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
>>> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
>>> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting
>>> marshmallows on
>>> : my sweet potato?
>>>
>>> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
>>> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
>>> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
>>> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
>>> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
>>> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
>>> pineapple on top.
>>>
>>> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
>>> made
>>> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

>> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like
>> canned chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine.
>> What other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen
>> fried grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

> I have seen the canned chicken here, only once but quite recently. I had
> no urge to buy it

You must shop in the exotic section of Coles :-)
Never seen canned pumpkin or French Fried onions either.
The yanks never understand how we keep beating them at the Olympics
Don't tell em our secret weapon is ... VEGEMITE :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/17/2011 3:49 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
much snipped

> I recall we only had the cloves in the ham not the cherries and
> pineapple but I have seen pics of it like you describe. I don't mind
> cloves, I put it in stewed apples.

oh, score the ham in a checker board pattern............. insert whole
clove at each intersection

toothpick a pineapple 'piece' between the cloves, or use a clove to
'nail it' in place

diabetic friendly even (if you don't eat all the pineapple pieces LOL)

yum!

kate
type 1, Aug 89
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/17/2011 4:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>>

>>> : > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>>> :>> top. I
>>> :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
>>> :>
>>> :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
>>> :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
>>> :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>>> :> sugar, nothing nicer.
>>>
>>> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
>>> : Everyone but me was buying them.
>>> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
>>> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
>>> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows
>>> on
>>> : my sweet potato?
>>>
>>> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
>>> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
>>> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
>>> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
>>> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
>>> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
>>> pineapple on top.
>>>
>>> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
>>> made
>>> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

>> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like canned
>> chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine. What other
>> novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen fried grasshoppers,
>> not a big seller though.

> Why is canned chicken hard to imagine? It was a common thing to make during
> the depression.

lol

canned chicken *(gack)* is a staple 'easy meal' that we have, oh, 6
times a year

get some curry butter sauce and add the canned chicken, it's almost
tolerable that way

ok, it's good, but not my first choice............. i do RINSE the
canned foods many times to reduce the sodium content

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/17/2011 4:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at all.
>>> They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.
>>>
>>> We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style place
>>> with
>>> Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a flower, battered
>>> and
>>> deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.
>>>

>> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many Aussies
>> involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming" since umm ummm
>> *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that would show an Aussie
>> involved in it somewhere.

> Ewww.

Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better interpretation

i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common language"

kate

(Jan???)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 3/17/2011 4:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many
>>> Aussies involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming"
>>> since umm ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that
>>> would show an Aussie involved in it somewhere.

>> Ewww.
>>

> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
> interpretation
> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
> language"

I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband was from
Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of the word. Not
one I could say with little children around.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/17/2011 7:24 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> : > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>>> :>> top. I
>>> :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
>>> :>
>>> :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
>>> :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
>>> :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>>> :> sugar, nothing nicer.
>>>
>>> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
>>> : Everyone but me was buying them.
>>> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
>>> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
>>> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting
>>> marshmallows on
>>> : my sweet potato?
>>>
>>> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
>>> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
>>> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
>>> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
>>> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
>>> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
>>> pineapple on top.
>>>
>>> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
>>> made
>>> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

>> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like
>> canned chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine.
>> What other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen
>> fried grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

> I have seen the canned chicken here, only once but quite recently. I had
> no urge to buy it

these are good foods to have around in 'case of a disaster' and none of
us know when that may be

be the disaster
1. earthquake
2. tsunami
3. terrorist attack (have you looked up your city's chances of being a
target?)
4. tornado/hurricane (remember Katrina?? )
5. etc etc etc

- we have a supply of 'camping food'
- we have an 'emergency run with this tub'
- i keep a current storage of a month's worth of meds in a tub i can
grab, insulin etc needs to be grabbed separately
- we have a 'cash reserve' cause don't expect your credit cards or debit
card to be accepted IF the gas pumps can deliver gas/diesel
- and lots more............. check your local city's 'emergency
evacuation plan' to ensure you comply
- we never let our gas tank get below 1/2 full............ enough to get
us away from the 'target area' that we live in
- we have a check list to make sure we don't miss anything
- we have a plan to 'meet' in the event we aren't in the same location
in the event of an emergency
- damn, i have to learn how to tow a 33 ft RV trailer!

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/19/2011 12:28 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Tiger Lily wrote:

>>> Ewww.
>>>

>> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
>> interpretation
>> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
>> language"

> I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband was from
> Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of the word. Not
> one I could say with little children around.

that was very leading............. i thought my interpretation was
pretty clear

care to eludicate?

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 3/19/2011 12:28 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Tiger Lily wrote:

>>> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
>>> interpretation
>>> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
>>> language"

>> I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband was from
>> Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of the word. Not
>> one I could say with little children around.
>>

> that was very leading............. i thought my interpretation was pretty
> clear
>
> care to eludicate?

I was told it had to do with the bleeding that occurs with the taking of
virginity. Of course they could have just been messing with me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 3/17/2011 4:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many
>>> Aussies
>>> involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming" since umm
>>> ummm
>>> *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that would show an Aussie
>>> involved in it somewhere.

>> Ewww.
>>

> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
> interpretation
>
> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
> language"
>
> kate
>
> (Jan???)

Bloody 'ell woman!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Tiger Lily wrote:

>>> Ewww.
>>>

>> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
>> interpretation
>> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
>> language"

> I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband was
> from Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of the
> word. Not one I could say with little children around.

Its a very benign word. On a scale of 1 to 10, the F bomb being 10 it is
a 1.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband was
>>> from
>>> Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of the word.
>>> Not
>>> one I could say with little children around.
>>>

>> that was very leading............. i thought my interpretation was
>> pretty clear
>>
>> care to eludicate?

> I was told it had to do with the bleeding that occurs with the taking
> of virginity. Of course they could have just been messing with me.

Could have been. As Kate said, the best word to compare it with would be
damn. As to to the blooming onions, we can't lay claim to those :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blooming_onion

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 3/17/2011 7:24 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like
>>> canned chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to
>>> imagine.
>>> What other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen
>>> fried grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

>> I have seen the canned chicken here, only once but quite recently. I
>> had
>> no urge to buy it
>>

> these are good foods to have around in 'case of a disaster' and none
> of us know when that may be
>
> be the disaster
> 1. earthquake
> 2. tsunami
> 3. terrorist attack (have you looked up your city's chances of being
> a target?)
> 4. tornado/hurricane (remember Katrina?? )
> 5. etc etc etc
>
> - we have a supply of 'camping food'
> - we have an 'emergency run with this tub'
> - i keep a current storage of a month's worth of meds in a tub i can
> grab, insulin etc needs to be grabbed separately
> - we have a 'cash reserve' cause don't expect your credit cards or
> debit card to be accepted IF the gas pumps can deliver gas/diesel
> - and lots more............. check your local city's 'emergency
> evacuation plan' to ensure you comply
> - we never let our gas tank get below 1/2 full............ enough to
> get us away from the 'target area' that we live in
> - we have a check list to make sure we don't miss anything
> - we have a plan to 'meet' in the event we aren't in the same location
> in the event of an emergency
> - damn, i have to learn how to tow a 33 ft RV trailer!

lol

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> that was very leading............. i thought my interpretation was
>>> pretty clear
>>>
>>> care to eludicate?

>> I was told it had to do with the bleeding that occurs with the taking of
>> virginity. Of course they could have just been messing with me.

> Could have been. As Kate said, the best word to compare it with would be
> damn. As to to the blooming onions, we can't lay claim to those :
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blooming_onion

I googled the word and came up with another definition. Something about the
blood of Christ. Also saw that the word was pretty much considered not
polite at all to use until about the 80's.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I was told it had to do with the bleeding that occurs with the
>>> taking of virginity. Of course they could have just been messing
>>> with me.

>> Could have been. As Kate said, the best word to compare it with would
>> be damn. As to to the blooming onions, we can't lay claim to those
>> :
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blooming_onion

> I googled the word and came up with another definition. Something
> about the blood of Christ. Also saw that the word was pretty much
> considered not polite at all to use until about the 80's.

Well its been used in the UK and Aus, probably Ireland too a lot longer
than I have been alive. I have never heard it used in any way other than
a "soft" swear word.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
: >
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: >>>>>>>>
: >>>>>>>
: >>>>>>> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many
: >>>>>>> Aussies involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming"
: >>>>>>> since umm ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that
: >>>>>>> would show an Aussie involved in it somewhere.
: >>>>>>
: >>>>>> Ewww.
: >>>>>>
: >>>>>>
: >>>>> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
: >>>>> interpretation
: >>>>> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
: >>>>> language"
: >>>>
: >>>> I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband was
: >>>> from
: >>>> Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of the word.
: >>>> Not
: >>>> one I could say with little children around.
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>> that was very leading............. i thought my interpretation was
: >>> pretty clear
: >>>
: >>> care to eludicate?
: >>
: >> I was told it had to do with the bleeding that occurs with the taking of
: >> virginity. Of course they could have just been messing with me.
: >
: > Could have been. As Kate said, the best word to compare it with would be
: > damn. As to to the blooming onions, we can't lay claim to those :
: >
: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blooming_onion

: I googled the word and came up with another definition. Something about the
: blood of Christ. Also saw that the word was pretty much considered not
: polite at all to use until about the 80's.

That is the definition I know and as it was considered blasphamy, or,at
lst sadrelgious, in relitgious ages it was considered quite nasty thing to
say . Damn, was also in that camp in ages past.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

[...]

That's becsue in our time,, religious swearing is no big deal, as most
people don't take it that seriously, but sex is a big deal and
preoccupation so sex swear words are much more serious.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : >>>> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many
> : >>>> Aussies involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming"
> : >>>> since umm ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that
> : >>>> would show an Aussie involved in it somewhere.
> : >>>
> : >>> Ewww.
> : >>>
> : >>>
> : >> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
> : >> interpretation
> : >> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
> : >> language"
> : >
> : > I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband was
> : > from Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of the
> : > word. Not one I could say with little children around.
>
> : Its a very benign word. On a scale of 1 to 10, the F bomb being 10 it is
> : a 1.
> : >
> : >
>
> That's becsue in our time,, religious swearing is no big deal, as most
> people don't take it that seriously, but sex is a big deal and
> preoccupation so sex swear words are much more serious.

There are a lot of people here who get very upset if you say, "Oh my God!"
Apparently that doesn't go over well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : >>>> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many
> : >>>> Aussies involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say
> "blooming"
> : >>>> since umm ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that
> : >>>> would show an Aussie involved in it somewhere.
> : >>>
> : >>> Ewww.
> : >>>
> : >>>
> : >> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
> : >> interpretation
> : >> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
> : >> language"
> : >
> : > I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband
> was
> : > from Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of
> the
> : > word. Not one I could say with little children around.
>
> : Its a very benign word. On a scale of 1 to 10, the F bomb being 10
> it is
> : a 1.
> : >
> : >
>
> That's becsue in our time,, religious swearing is no big deal, as
> most
> people don't take it that seriously, but sex is a big deal and
> preoccupation so sex swear words are much more serious.

I really don't know anyone who would view the word bloody as a religious
word. Even in the 50's when I was born no one saw a problem with men
saying it sometimes and that was a time when swear words like s*&t,
ba#$%@d etc would have got you locked up if said in public. So I doubt
anyone has thought about or even known the supposed origin of the word
bloody for a very long time.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:50:21 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl > wrote:
>>

>> : >>>> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many
>> : >>>> Aussies involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say
>> "blooming"
>> : >>>> since umm ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that
>> : >>>> would show an Aussie involved in it somewhere.
>> : >>>
>> : >>> Ewww.
>> : >>>
>> : >>>
>> : >> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
>> : >> interpretation
>> : >> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
>> : >> language"
>> : >
>> : > I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband
>> was
>> : > from Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of
>> the
>> : > word. Not one I could say with little children around.
>>
>> : Its a very benign word. On a scale of 1 to 10, the F bomb being 10
>> it is
>> : a 1.
>> : >
>> : >
>>
>> That's becsue in our time,, religious swearing is no big deal, as
>> most
>> people don't take it that seriously, but sex is a big deal and
>> preoccupation so sex swear words are much more serious.

>I really don't know anyone who would view the word bloody as a religious
>word. Even in the 50's when I was born no one saw a problem with men
>saying it sometimes and that was a time when swear words like s*&t,
>ba#$%@d etc would have got you locked up if said in public. So I doubt
>anyone has thought about or even known the supposed origin of the word
>bloody for a very long time.

I was told some years ago that it wasn't nice to use, but then I am an
American and it isn't widely used here. In this country if someone
said "bloody" this or that, nobody'd bat an eyelash.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Ozgirl > wrote:
: >
: >
: > : >>>> I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many
: > : >>>> Aussies involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming"
: > : >>>> since umm ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that
: > : >>>> would show an Aussie involved in it somewhere.
: > : >>>
: > : >>> Ewww.
: > : >>>
: > : >>>
: > : >> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
: > : >> interpretation
: > : >> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
: > : >> language"
: > : >
: > : > I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband was
: > : > from Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of the
: > : > word. Not one I could say with little children around.
: >
: > : Its a very benign word. On a scale of 1 to 10, the F bomb being 10 it is
: > : a 1.
: > : >
: > : >
: >
: > That's becsue in our time,, religious swearing is no big deal, as most
: > people don't take it that seriously, but sex is a big deal and
: > preoccupation so sex swear words are much more serious.

: There are a lot of people here who get very upset if you say, "Oh my God!"
: Apparently that doesn't go over well.
If saying that gets them upset, but not bloody or damn, then they need
some vocabulary training.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 19/03/2011 6:31 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> Well its been used in the UK and Aus, probably Ireland too a lot longer
> than I have been alive. I have never heard it used in any way other than
> a "soft" swear word.

Yep used to be called the great Australian adjective never ever heard it
being used in the ways Julie has but I have only lived in Australia all
my life so I may have missed something :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 19/03/2011 5:26 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Ewww.
>>>

>> Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
>> interpretation
>>
>> i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
>> language"
>>
>> kate
>>
>> (Jan???)

> Bloody 'ell woman!

My original comment that started all this was about replacing "Blooming"
in a menu with "bloody" as in "Blooming hell" and "Bloody hell" so a
common language separated by 2 large oceans and some funny accents :-) Aye

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS > wrote:
: On 19/03/2011 5:26 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
: >
: >
: > "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> On 3/17/2011 4:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >>> > wrote in message
: >>> ...
: >>>> On 18/03/2011 7:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >>>>> Ozgirl wrote:
: >>>>>>
: >>>>>> There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
: >>>>>> And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
: >>>>>> didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
: >>>>>> American style steakhouses.
: >>>>>
[...]

Aye-ya!, Okie dokie, Yup, etc

Wendy