Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Tonight's dinner

RodS > wrote:
: On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: > > wrote:
: >
: >
: > : > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >
: > :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
: > :>> top. I
: > :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
: > :>
: > :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
: > :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
: > :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
: > :> sugar, nothing nicer.
: >
: > : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
: > : Everyone but me was buying them.
: > : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
: > : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
: > : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows on
: > : my sweet potato?
: >
: > The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
: > sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
: > teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
: > thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
: > pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
: > pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
: > pineapple on top.
: >
: > Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole made
: > with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

: Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like canned
: chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine. What
: other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen fried
: grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

: (- -)
: =m=(_)=m=
: RodS T2
: Australia

Remember that in the US, pupkin refers only to the one kind of winter hard
shelled squash that is used eithe rfor Jack-O'Lanterns or Pumpkin pie.
this is the kind that is found in cans so aas to make making the pie
easier.

Canned chicken strikes me as the pits too, but in books on home canning
there are recipes for canning all kinds of meat. I assume these come from
teh days when there was no refrigeration and was one way to preserve meat
after slaughter .

The french fried onions are almost a snack kind of food, greasy and crisp
with a batter to us either alone or as a crunchy topping for something
like that string bean casserole. Not really considered a real food.

They you guys do have Vegemite. One can never acount for national
preferecnes:-)

Wendy