Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Tiger Lily Tiger Lily is offline

Default Tonight's dinner

On 3/17/2011 7:24 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> : > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>>> :>> top. I
>>> :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
>>> :>
>>> :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
>>> :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
>>> :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>>> :> sugar, nothing nicer.
>>>
>>> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
>>> : Everyone but me was buying them.
>>> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
>>> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
>>> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting
>>> marshmallows on
>>> : my sweet potato?
>>>
>>> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
>>> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
>>> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
>>> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
>>> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
>>> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
>>> pineapple on top.
>>>
>>> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
>>> made
>>> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

>> Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like
>> canned chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine.
>> What other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen
>> fried grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

> I have seen the canned chicken here, only once but quite recently. I had
> no urge to buy it

these are good foods to have around in 'case of a disaster' and none of
us know when that may be

be the disaster
1. earthquake
2. tsunami
3. terrorist attack (have you looked up your city's chances of being a
target?)
4. tornado/hurricane (remember Katrina?? )
5. etc etc etc

- we have a supply of 'camping food'
- we have an 'emergency run with this tub'
- i keep a current storage of a month's worth of meds in a tub i can
grab, insulin etc needs to be grabbed separately
- we have a 'cash reserve' cause don't expect your credit cards or debit
card to be accepted IF the gas pumps can deliver gas/diesel
- and lots more............. check your local city's 'emergency
evacuation plan' to ensure you comply
- we never let our gas tank get below 1/2 full............ enough to get
us away from the 'target area' that we live in
- we have a check list to make sure we don't miss anything
- we have a plan to 'meet' in the event we aren't in the same location
in the event of an emergency
- damn, i have to learn how to tow a 33 ft RV trailer!

kate