Old 14-07-2009, 01:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Walla Walla Sweets!

I just love this time of year. If you don't live in the Pacific Northwest,
you probably can't get these. They are the BEST onions! My house smells
soooo good. I'm making a bad meal tonight. I mean a bad meal that's good!

I've been craving Pierogies but I can't eat them because they have egg in
them. They do make gluten free ones that Angela can eat, but they still
have egg in them. So no go for me.

I have seen Pierogie casserole recipes for the oven or crock pot. They use
lasagna noodles, mashed potatoes and onions. Then it dawned on me! Why not
try gluten free shells? The large ones that you usually stuff with ricotta
cheese! So I bought some.

Cooked some peeled russet potatoes. I rarely ever buy russets and never
peel my potatoes, but I want this to be as authentic as I can. Slap Chopped
and sautéed one of the smaller onions in some Nucoa (just found out this was
dairy free!) margarine and mashed that into the potatoes with plenty of
salt, butter and more Nucoa.

Meanwhile I added an obscene amount of Nucoa to the pan and then three huge
onions cut in half slices and sautéed them until barely caramelized. I put
a layer of these in a casserole, then intend to stuff my shells with the
potatoes, smother with more onions and bake.

I hope *crossing fingers* these will taste like Pierogies! Not that I will
be able to eat very many of them. But this was one of husband's and
Angela's favorite dishes. I used to eat three of them (Mrs. T's) with a ton
of onions.

Tonight will be serving with Carne Deshebrada. That's a Mexican roast beef.
So we're having PolishMex!

Old 14-07-2009, 02:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I just love this time of year. If you don't live in the Pacific Northwest,
you probably can't get these. They are the BEST onions! My house smells
soooo good. I'm making a bad meal tonight. I mean a bad meal that's good!

Oh yeah, you can get them in CA at Safeway, but only for a short time. I
have friends in Walla Walla, and they usually bring some when they come to
CA this time of year. They are so good.

Cheri

Old 14-07-2009, 03:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I just love this time of year. If you don't live in the Pacific
Northwest, you probably can't get these. They are the BEST onions! My
house smells soooo good. I'm making a bad meal tonight. I mean a bad
meal that's good!

Oh yeah, you can get them in CA at Safeway, but only for a short time. I
have friends in Walla Walla, and they usually bring some when they come to
CA this time of year. They are so good.

Cheri

We get them here in AZ too. I do like them but Vidalia's are my favorite.
Jacquie

Old 14-07-2009, 03:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I just love this time of year. If you don't live in the Pacific
Northwest, you probably can't get these. They are the BEST onions! My
house smells soooo good. I'm making a bad meal tonight. I mean a bad
meal that's good!

Oh yeah, you can get them in CA at Safeway, but only for a short time. I
have friends in Walla Walla, and they usually bring some when they come to
CA this time of year. They are so good.

I buy a lot when they're in season!

Old 14-07-2009, 10:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Susan" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

Cooked some peeled russet potatoes. I rarely ever buy russets and
never peel my potatoes, but I want this to be as authentic as I can.
Slap Chopped and sautéed one of the smaller onions in some Nucoa (just
found out this was dairy free!) margarine and mashed that into the
potatoes with plenty of salt, butter and more Nucoa.

Meanwhile I added an obscene amount of Nucoa to the pan and then three
huge onions cut in half slices and sautéed them until barely
caramelized. I put a layer of these in a casserole, then intend to
stuff my shells with the potatoes, smother with more onions and bake.

Julie, I really hope you enjoyed your meal. But I really question the
reasoning behind posting it to a diabetic food forum.

Surely there's a food allergy or gluten free cooking forum online
somewhere?

There is but nobody posts there. Not the newsgroup anyway. And the
people on the food allergy forum can be really touchy. Not the most
pleasant place to be.

I was posting about the onions. Since you can't get them where you are
at, you won't know what you're missing.

That's why I kf'd susan, so I wouldn't know what I was missing. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Old 14-07-2009, 12:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:51:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

Tonight will be serving with Carne Deshebrada. That's a Mexican roast beef.
So we're having PolishMex!

Lol! Eastern European / Mex, actually - what you're describing sounds
like what my Russian mother used to cook, and my Lithuanian
grandmother-in-law too.

Neither of them put them in a casserole - that really does seem to be
an American thing, you put the widest range of things in 'em! We ate
them freshly baked, with meat juice gravy - which is probably a UK
thing :P - and mashed potatoes. Delicious... Won't help you, but I'm
wondering about using carbalose for the shell...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Old 14-07-2009, 08:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:

: Tonight will be serving with Carne Deshebrada. That's a Mexican roast beef.
: So we're having PolishMex!

: Lol! Eastern European / Mex, actually - what you're describing sounds
: like what my Russian mother used to cook, and my Lithuanian
: grandmother-in-law too.

: Neither of them put them in a casserole - that really does seem to be
: an American thing, you put the widest range of things in 'em! We ate
: them freshly baked, with meat juice gravy - which is probably a UK
: thing :P - and mashed potatoes. Delicious... Won't help you, but I'm
: wondering about using carbalose for the shell...

: Nicky.

Similar to knishes, a cough surrounding a savory filling, mashed potato,
kasha or sometimes for fancy like at an old fshiohed jewish wedding,
chopped liver. Greasy and delicious! Havn't had one in over 20 years!

Wendy

Old 14-07-2009, 10:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
I can get Walla Wallas in NYC usually after the Vidalias been to get more
expensive as the season runs out. There are also aTexas sweet onion that
is sometimes available. During the winter I use either Spanish or red
onions for sweet onions, like raw in a salad. All I can say is bless
Fairway:-)

Really? I thought they were only available here. I don't recall seeing any
when I lived in NY. I just bought the yellow ones.

I dont't see ow recipe that calls for lots of mashed potato and noodles,
gluten free or not, is of much use to us. Maybe if you tried it with
mashed cauliflower it might be ok.

I wouldn't eat it with mashed cauliflower. Can't stand the stuff.

By the way, any margarine that is marked with a U inside a circle and DOES
NOT have a D next to or under it, will be dairy free. This is a mark for
something be kosher and non-dairy so observant Jews can use it for meat
meals, which cannot contain any dairy. Knowing your issues, you would
still have to check for soy.

I live in an area with very few Jewish people. This margarine does have
soybean oil. So not something I would use very often. The others I have
found have crushed soybeans in them. I won't buy those at all.

Old 14-07-2009, 10:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Similar to knishes, a cough surrounding a savory filling, mashed potato,
kasha or sometimes for fancy like at an old fshiohed jewish wedding,
chopped liver. Greasy and delicious! Havn't had one in over 20 years!

I loved the potato ones when I lived in NY. Didn't get them often and could
only eat 1/2 of one at a time.

Old 14-07-2009, 11:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: By the way, any margarine that is marked with a U inside a circle and DOES
: NOT have a D next to or under it, will be dairy free. This is a mark for
: something be kosher and non-dairy so observant Jews can use it for meat
: meals, which cannot contain any dairy. Knowing your issues, you would
: still have to check for soy.

: I live in an area with very few Jewish people. This margarine does have
: soybean oil. So not something I would use very often. The others I have
: found have crushed soybeans in them. I won't buy those at all.

You don't have tobe in a Jewish neigborhood to find products that are
labelled with that little U in a circle or other kosher marks. They are
often on national brands like Nucoa, or Smart Balance etc. In fact, many
with dairy allergies know to lookd for these marks on foods so they know
they are safe for them to eat. You might also look or the word "parve"
on packages. It also means no dairy or meat in the productl. Sometimes
found on bked goods, which I know ou don't eat, but perhaps for
Angela.

Wendy

Old 15-07-2009, 12:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

Angela can't eat baked goods because of the wheat allergy. I do know to
check for these things, but they usually have soy in them.

Walla Walla Sweets off tasting this year? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 18 28-06-2015 05:59 PM
Wines from Washington State...mostly Walla Walla Richard Neidich Wine 1 17-09-2009 11:27 AM
Walla Walla Washington Trip dick Wine 4 03-07-2007 06:47 PM
Basel Cellars - Walla Walla, WA, USA ???? Midlife Wine 6 27-08-2005 05:14 PM
Mango & Walla Walla Onion Chutney TammyM General Cooking 2 05-08-2005 07:55 PM