Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Walla Walla Sweets!

I just love this time of year. If you don't live in the Pacific Northwest,
you probably can't get these. They are the BEST onions! My house smells
soooo good. I'm making a bad meal tonight. I mean a bad meal that's good!

I've been craving Pierogies but I can't eat them because they have egg in
them. They do make gluten free ones that Angela can eat, but they still
have egg in them. So no go for me.

I have seen Pierogie casserole recipes for the oven or crock pot. They use
lasagna noodles, mashed potatoes and onions. Then it dawned on me! Why not
try gluten free shells? The large ones that you usually stuff with ricotta
cheese! So I bought some.

Cooked some peeled russet potatoes. I rarely ever buy russets and never
peel my potatoes, but I want this to be as authentic as I can. Slap Chopped
and sautéed one of the smaller onions in some Nucoa (just found out this was
dairy free!) margarine and mashed that into the potatoes with plenty of
salt, butter and more Nucoa.

Meanwhile I added an obscene amount of Nucoa to the pan and then three huge
onions cut in half slices and sautéed them until barely caramelized. I put
a layer of these in a casserole, then intend to stuff my shells with the
potatoes, smother with more onions and bake.

I hope *crossing fingers* these will taste like Pierogies! Not that I will
be able to eat very many of them. But this was one of husband's and
Angela's favorite dishes. I used to eat three of them (Mrs. T's) with a ton
of onions.

Tonight will be serving with Carne Deshebrada. That's a Mexican roast beef.
So we're having PolishMex!