Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wines from Washington State...mostly Walla Walla

Some outstanding finds when in Walla Walla.

*2006 Ciel du Cheval Syrah from Tamarack Cellars--the grapes are from Red
Mountain...the vines look near dead they are so stressed...very complex
Syrah...a blend of Old and New world style.

*K Vintners/Charles Smith

Royal City Syrah 2006(best of class), amazing

also the
2007 K Syrah Milbrandt-Wahluke Slope
2007 K Syrah Pheasant - Wahluke Slope
*Spring Valley Cabernet and Merlots...outstanding.

Seems every couple years when making it to Walla Walla the wines keep
getting more and more world class. They are just amazing PQR vs NAPA and in
my opinion most exceeding the qualitys of the Napas on Reds. The Whites not
so much.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Boy, you're not kidding! Luckily, I live just a couple hundred miles
away, so the stuff literally pours in over here. I also have an
advantage in that I photograph most of David LeClaire's wine tasting
fund-raisers. I managed to get through about 1/3 of the 54 wineries
who participated in the June event.

Some of my recent favorite Washinton reds include:

2004 Lowden Hills Cab Savignon (Horse Heaven Hills/Alder Ridge)
2004 Lowden Hills Syrah
2004 Cote Bonneville Carriage House (blend, DuBrul Vineyards)
2003-2006 Abeja Cab Sauvignon
Anything at all from Betz
2005 Rulo Syrah
2006 Bunnell VIF (Columbia Valley)
2006 Januik Cab. Savignon (Columbia Valley)
2006 Lantz Cellars Syrah (Rattlesnake Hills)
2006 Nota Bene Cellars Miscela
2007 Rotie Cellars Northern Blend (97% Syrah)
2005 Whitman Cellars Walla Walla Syrah
2004 Whitman Cellars Narcissa (now at Costco for $14! Talk about PQR.)

Milbrandt is turning out some excellent juice these days, and I'm told
they're now making a Petite Sirah.

As for the whites, try Natches Heights Vineyards. I'm a big fan of
their Pinot Gris (of all things), and the NHV 2008 Riesling was
awarded a Gold Medal at the 2009 Seattle Wine Awards.

Wine writer Paul Gregutt has just finished the draft of his second
book on Washington wines, so it'll probably hit the shelves around
Christmas. Meanwhile, here's his review of Betz's new release 2007
Syrahs from today's blog. http://tinyurl.com/lpcspw Interestingly,
Betz sources the grapes for his La Serenne 100% Syrah from Boushey
vineyard, the same source used by Lowden Hills. No knock on Betz, of
course -- all their wines are fabulous. But Lowden Hills Boushey Syrah
is about half the price of La Serenne, and well worth it.

JJ

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:17:42 -0400, "Richard Neidich"
> wrote:

>Seems every couple years when making it to Walla Walla the wines keep
>getting more and more world class. They are just amazing PQR vs NAPA and in
>my opinion most exceeding the qualitys of the Napas on Reds. The Whites not
>so much.

Walla Walla Sweets off tasting this year? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 18 28-06-2015 05:59 PM
Walla Walla Sweets! Julie Bove Diabetic 10 15-07-2009 12:17 AM
Walla Walla Washington Trip dick Wine 4 03-07-2007 06:47 PM
Basel Cellars - Walla Walla, WA, USA ???? Midlife Wine 6 27-08-2005 05:14 PM
Mango & Walla Walla Onion Chutney TammyM General Cooking 2 05-08-2005 07:55 PM