Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Walla Walla Sweets off tasting this year?

I have been looking forward to the new crop of onions and got some the other
day at Central Market. I only bought a few because many didn't look too
nice and they seemed smaller than usual. I used them for the pierogies and
no complaints there. I sautéed some with a hamburger patty for myself and I
just didn't care for them much. They were edible but something didn't seem
right. I suppose it is possible that what I bought was really something
else because they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all next to each
other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one just said Spanish Sweet.

These just didn't seem to have much flavor at all though. I mean my eyes
could tell that they were onions but they didn't have that yummy sweet
flavor that I look forward to nor even much of an onion flavor! I know that
the one year I tried to grow them we had freak hot weather early on and they
bolted. So I pulled them up and used them in a potato dish for Easter which
is darned early. The bulbs were small and I had to use all of them because
it was a big pan of potatoes. But those tasted really good. I just wonder
if our lack of rain and much more hot/warmish weather could be affecting the
crop? If so, I'm sad. I love onions and those are a favorite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:05:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I have been looking forward to the new crop of onions and got some the other
>day at Central Market. I only bought a few because many didn't look too
>nice and they seemed smaller than usual. I used them for the pierogies and
>no complaints there. I sautéed some with a hamburger patty for myself and I
>just didn't care for them much. They were edible but something didn't seem
>right. I suppose it is possible that what I bought was really something
>else because they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all next to each
>other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one just said Spanish Sweet.

Sweet onions are best eaten raw, when cooked, especially fried, they
haven't much flavor. You should have put a raw slice of sweet onion
on your burger. I still have several Vidallias remaining from the six
pounds I bought a couple weeks ago but I eat them raw, very good in
salads and sandwiches... actually I think it's silly to pay a premium
price for sweet onions and then cook them. But then maybe you really
don't like onions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2015 12:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Sweet onions are best eaten raw,

Gobble as many as you can fit in your leering maw then, you titty
obsessive dirty old man.

But do NOT presume to tell any of us how to enjoy them.

Capisce?

EAT SHIT AND DIE!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 1:20:37 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:05:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >I have been looking forward to the new crop of onions and got some the other
> >day at Central Market. I only bought a few because many didn't look too
> >nice and they seemed smaller than usual. I used them for the pierogies and
> >no complaints there. I sautéed some with a hamburger patty for myself and I
> >just didn't care for them much. They were edible but something didn't seem
> >right. I suppose it is possible that what I bought was really something
> >else because they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all next to each
> >other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one just said Spanish Sweet.

> Sweet onions are best eaten raw, when cooked, especially fried, they
> haven't much flavor. You should have put a raw slice of sweet onion
> on your burger. I still have several Vidallias remaining from the six
> pounds I bought a couple weeks ago but I eat them raw, very good in
> salads and sandwiches

I agree with you. Love the Vidalia's for hamburgers, nice and mild,
but when cooked they are disappointing. Far too mild and sweet for
cooking. For cooking I like a plain yellow/storage onion as they
have much more 'onion' flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 1:20:37 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:05:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >I have been looking forward to the new crop of onions and got some the
> >other
> >day at Central Market. I only bought a few because many didn't look too
> >nice and they seemed smaller than usual. I used them for the pierogies
> >and
> >no complaints there. I sautéed some with a hamburger patty for myself
> >and I
> >just didn't care for them much. They were edible but something didn't
> >seem
> >right. I suppose it is possible that what I bought was really something
> >else because they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all next to
> >each
> >other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one just said Spanish
> >Sweet.

> Sweet onions are best eaten raw, when cooked, especially fried, they
> haven't much flavor. You should have put a raw slice of sweet onion
> on your burger. I still have several Vidallias remaining from the six
> pounds I bought a couple weeks ago but I eat them raw, very good in
> salads and sandwiches

I agree with you. Love the Vidalia's for hamburgers, nice and mild,
but when cooked they are disappointing. Far too mild and sweet for
cooking. For cooking I like a plain yellow/storage onion as they
have much more 'onion' flavor.

---

Then perhaps I accidentally bought a Vidalia. Walla Walla Sweets are
commonly used for cooking here.

http://www.sweetonions.org/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 01:22:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 1:20:37 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:05:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I have been looking forward to the new crop of onions and got some the
>> >other
>> >day at Central Market. I only bought a few because many didn't look too
>> >nice and they seemed smaller than usual. I used them for the pierogies
>> >and
>> >no complaints there. I sautéed some with a hamburger patty for myself
>> >and I
>> >just didn't care for them much. They were edible but something didn't
>> >seem
>> >right. I suppose it is possible that what I bought was really something
>> >else because they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all next to
>> >each
>> >other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one just said Spanish
>> >Sweet.

>> Sweet onions are best eaten raw, when cooked, especially fried, they
>> haven't much flavor. You should have put a raw slice of sweet onion
>> on your burger. I still have several Vidallias remaining from the six
>> pounds I bought a couple weeks ago but I eat them raw, very good in
>> salads and sandwiches
>>

>I agree with you. Love the Vidalia's for hamburgers, nice and mild,
>but when cooked they are disappointing. Far too mild and sweet for
>cooking. For cooking I like a plain yellow/storage onion as they
>have much more 'onion' flavor.
>
>---
>
>Then perhaps I accidentally bought a Vidalia. Walla Walla Sweets are
>commonly used for cooking here.

There's really no difference other than appearance, cooking any of the
sweet onions is a waste of money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:05:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> > I have been looking forward to the new crop of onions and got some
> > the other day at Central Market. I only bought a few because many
> > didn't look too nice and they seemed smaller than usual. I used
> > them for the pierogies and no complaints there. I sautéed some
> > with a hamburger patty for myself and I just didn't care for them
> > much. They were edible but something didn't seem right. I suppose
> > it is possible that what I bought was really something else because
> > they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all next to each
> > other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one just said
> > Spanish Sweet.

> Sweet onions are best eaten raw, when cooked, especially fried, they
> haven't much flavor. You should have put a raw slice of sweet onion
> on your burger. I still have several Vidallias remaining from the six
> pounds I bought a couple weeks ago but I eat them raw, very good in
> salads and sandwiches... actually I think it's silly to pay a premium
> price for sweet onions and then cook them. But then maybe you really
> don't like onions.

I agree Sheldon, they are best raw or lightly cooked. The ones called
'spanish sweet' here may not be the same as her area but they are a
sort of mix and work ok cooked.

When I lightly cook them, it's sort of more like as a topping on a
pizza added 5 minutes before the finish.

Normally I try to have on hand: regular yellow (hot), a red (normally
fairly sweet) and a few of the sweet types. They can be mixed if out
of one type but optimally each matches certain needs in things we make
to be 'just right'. Example, I like the color of the red onions (raw)
in a coleslaw.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 10:06:13 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> I like the color of the red onions (raw)
> in a coleslaw.
>
> Carol

I like the red ones in cucumber/bell pepper/tomato salad.
Tasty and colorful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:05:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I have been looking forward to the new crop of onions and got some
>> > the other day at Central Market. I only bought a few because many
>> > didn't look too nice and they seemed smaller than usual. I used
>> > them for the pierogies and no complaints there. I sautéed some
>> > with a hamburger patty for myself and I just didn't care for them
>> > much. They were edible but something didn't seem right. I suppose
>> > it is possible that what I bought was really something else because
>> > they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all next to each
>> > other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one just said
>> > Spanish Sweet.

>> Sweet onions are best eaten raw, when cooked, especially fried, they
>> haven't much flavor. You should have put a raw slice of sweet onion
>> on your burger. I still have several Vidallias remaining from the six
>> pounds I bought a couple weeks ago but I eat them raw, very good in
>> salads and sandwiches... actually I think it's silly to pay a premium
>> price for sweet onions and then cook them. But then maybe you really
>> don't like onions.

> I agree Sheldon, they are best raw or lightly cooked. The ones called
> 'spanish sweet' here may not be the same as her area but they are a
> sort of mix and work ok cooked.
>
> When I lightly cook them, it's sort of more like as a topping on a
> pizza added 5 minutes before the finish.
>
> Normally I try to have on hand: regular yellow (hot), a red (normally
> fairly sweet) and a few of the sweet types. They can be mixed if out
> of one type but optimally each matches certain needs in things we make
> to be 'just right'. Example, I like the color of the red onions (raw)
> in a coleslaw.

Are you talking Vidalia or Walla Walla? AFAIK, I have never bought Vidalia.
Not on purpose anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> suppose >>> it is possible that what I bought was really something
> else because >>> they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all
> next to each >>> other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one
> just said >>> Spanish Sweet.
> > >
> > > Sweet onions are best eaten raw, when cooked, especially fried,
> > > they haven't much flavor. You should have put a raw slice of
> > > sweet onion on your burger. I still have several Vidallias
> > > remaining from the six pounds I bought a couple weeks ago but I
> > > eat them raw, very good in salads and sandwiches... actually I
> > > think it's silly to pay a premium price for sweet onions and then
> > > cook them. But then maybe you really don't like onions.

> > I agree Sheldon, they are best raw or lightly cooked. The ones
> > called 'spanish sweet' here may not be the same as her area but
> > they are a sort of mix and work ok cooked.
> >
> > When I lightly cook them, it's sort of more like as a topping on a
> > pizza added 5 minutes before the finish.
> >
> > Normally I try to have on hand: regular yellow (hot), a red
> > (normally fairly sweet) and a few of the sweet types. They can be
> > mixed if out of one type but optimally each matches certain needs
> > in things we make to be 'just right'. Example, I like the color of
> > the red onions (raw) in a coleslaw.

> Are you talking Vidalia or Walla Walla? AFAIK, I have never bought
> Vidalia. Not on purpose anyway.

When using sweets I usually get vidalia or Maui (not sure but they may
be the same thing). I am sure I have had walla walla but there was no
difference.
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2015 3:45 PM, cshenk wrote:

> When using sweets I usually get vidalia or Maui (not sure but they may
> be the same thing). I am sure I have had walla walla but there was no
> difference.
> Carol

Nope, Vidalia and Maui onions are not the same thing. Vidalia's are
trademarked and only grown in Vidalia, Georgia.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2015 6:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/27/2015 3:45 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> When using sweets I usually get vidalia or Maui (not sure but they may
>> be the same thing). I am sure I have had walla walla but there was no
>> difference.
>> Carol
>>

> Nope, Vidalia and Maui onions are not the same thing. Vidalia's are
> trademarked and only grown in Vidalia, Georgia.

It's not even a particular variety, they just get the way
they are because of the makeup of the soil.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 5:59:09 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 6/27/2015 6:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > On 6/27/2015 3:45 PM, cshenk wrote:
> >>
> >> When using sweets I usually get vidalia or Maui (not sure but they may
> >> be the same thing). I am sure I have had walla walla but there was no
> >> difference.
> >> Carol
> >>

> > Nope, Vidalia and Maui onions are not the same thing. Vidalia's are
> > trademarked and only grown in Vidalia, Georgia.

> It's not even a particular variety, they just get the way
> they are because of the makeup of the soil.
>
> nancy

Yes, it's the soil that give Vidalia's their sweetness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> suppose >>> it is possible that what I bought was really something
>> else because >>> they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all
>> next to each >>> other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one
>> just said >>> Spanish Sweet.

>> > I agree Sheldon, they are best raw or lightly cooked. The ones
>> > called 'spanish sweet' here may not be the same as her area but
>> > they are a sort of mix and work ok cooked.
>> >
>> > When I lightly cook them, it's sort of more like as a topping on a
>> > pizza added 5 minutes before the finish.
>> >
>> > Normally I try to have on hand: regular yellow (hot), a red
>> > (normally fairly sweet) and a few of the sweet types. They can be
>> > mixed if out of one type but optimally each matches certain needs
>> > in things we make to be 'just right'. Example, I like the color of
>> > the red onions (raw) in a coleslaw.

>> Are you talking Vidalia or Walla Walla? AFAIK, I have never bought
>> Vidalia. Not on purpose anyway.

> When using sweets I usually get vidalia or Maui (not sure but they may
> be the same thing). I am sure I have had walla walla but there was no
> difference.
> Carol

I'd be willing to bet there is!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2015 12:16 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> suppose >>> it is possible that what I bought was really something
>>> else because >>> they had three kinds of sweet onions featured all
>>> next to each >>> other. I think the other two were Vidalia and one
>>> just said >>> Spanish Sweet.

>>> Are you talking Vidalia or Walla Walla? AFAIK, I have never bought
>>> Vidalia. Not on purpose anyway.

>> When using sweets I usually get vidalia or Maui (not sure but they may
>> be the same thing). I am sure I have had walla walla but there was no
>> difference.
>> Carol

> I'd be willing to bet there is!

from Wikipedia:

United States sweet onions originated in several places during the early
twentieth century.

Vidalia onions were first grown near Vidalia, Georgia in the early
1930s. Today the name refers to onions grown in a 20-county production
region in the state of Georgia as defined by both Georgia state and
federal law (CFR).

South Texas also acquired what is known as the 1015 onion in the early
1980s by Dr. Leonard Pike, a horticulture professor at Texas A&M
University, Texas. 1015 Onions are actually named for their optimum
planting date, October 15. Grown only in the Rio Grande Valley of South
Texas, this large, prized onion was developed after ten long years of
extensive research, endless testing and a million dollars in cost. As a
result, Texas achieved a mild, exceptionally sweet onion that lives up
to its nickname - the "Million Dollar Baby". Onions are Texas' leading
vegetable crop. The state produces mostly sweet yellow varieties. The
sweet onion was adopted as Texas' official state onion in 1997.

The Walla Walla sweet onion is named for Walla Walla county in
Washington where it is grown.[1] Its development began around 1900 when
Peter Pieri, a French soldier who settled in the area, brought a sweet
onion seed from the island of Corsica with him to the Walla Walla
Valley.[2] This sweet onion was developed by selecting and reseeding
onions from each year's crop that possessed sweetness, jumbo size, and
round shape.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/28/2015 12:16 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> When using sweets I usually get vidalia or Maui (not sure but they may
>>> be the same thing). I am sure I have had walla walla but there was no
>>> difference.
>>> Carol

>> I'd be willing to bet there is!

> from Wikipedia:
>
> United States sweet onions originated in several places during the early
> twentieth century.
>
> Vidalia onions were first grown near Vidalia, Georgia in the early 1930s.
> Today the name refers to onions grown in a 20-county production region in
> the state of Georgia as defined by both Georgia state and federal law
> (CFR).
>
> South Texas also acquired what is known as the 1015 onion in the early
> 1980s by Dr. Leonard Pike, a horticulture professor at Texas A&M
> University, Texas. 1015 Onions are actually named for their optimum
> planting date, October 15. Grown only in the Rio Grande Valley of South
> Texas, this large, prized onion was developed after ten long years of
> extensive research, endless testing and a million dollars in cost. As a
> result, Texas achieved a mild, exceptionally sweet onion that lives up to
> its nickname - the "Million Dollar Baby". Onions are Texas' leading
> vegetable crop. The state produces mostly sweet yellow varieties. The
> sweet onion was adopted as Texas' official state onion in 1997.
>
> The Walla Walla sweet onion is named for Walla Walla county in Washington
> where it is grown.[1] Its development began around 1900 when Peter Pieri,
> a French soldier who settled in the area, brought a sweet onion seed from
> the island of Corsica with him to the Walla Walla Valley.[2] This sweet
> onion was developed by selecting and reseeding onions from each year's
> crop that possessed sweetness, jumbo size, and round shape.

Thanks! This was not jumbo so maybe mislabeled? I am used to huge ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 22:04:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>> I'd be willing to bet there is!

>> from Wikipedia:
>>
>> United States sweet onions originated in several places during the early
>> twentieth century.
>>
>> Vidalia onions were first grown near Vidalia, Georgia in the early 1930s.
>> Today the name refers to onions grown in a 20-county production region in
>> the state of Georgia as defined by both Georgia state and federal law
>> (CFR).
>>
>> South Texas also acquired what is known as the 1015 onion in the early
>> 1980s by Dr. Leonard Pike, a horticulture professor at Texas A&M
>> University, Texas. 1015 Onions are actually named for their optimum
>> planting date, October 15. Grown only in the Rio Grande Valley of South
>> Texas, this large, prized onion was developed after ten long years of
>> extensive research, endless testing and a million dollars in cost. As a
>> result, Texas achieved a mild, exceptionally sweet onion that lives up to
>> its nickname - the "Million Dollar Baby". Onions are Texas' leading
>> vegetable crop. The state produces mostly sweet yellow varieties. The
>> sweet onion was adopted as Texas' official state onion in 1997.
>>
>> The Walla Walla sweet onion is named for Walla Walla county in Washington
>> where it is grown.[1] Its development began around 1900 when Peter Pieri,
>> a French soldier who settled in the area, brought a sweet onion seed from
>> the island of Corsica with him to the Walla Walla Valley.[2] This sweet
>> onion was developed by selecting and reseeding onions from each year's
>> crop that possessed sweetness, jumbo size, and round shape.

>Thanks! This was not jumbo so maybe mislabeled? I am used to huge ones.

That's what all yoose wimmin say.

Wines from Washington State...mostly Walla Walla Richard Neidich Wine 1 17-09-2009 11:27 AM
Walla Walla Sweets! Julie Bove Diabetic 10 15-07-2009 12:17 AM
Walla Walla Washington Trip dick Wine 4 03-07-2007 06:47 PM
Basel Cellars - Walla Walla, WA, USA ???? Midlife Wine 6 27-08-2005 05:14 PM
Mango & Walla Walla Onion Chutney TammyM General Cooking 2 05-08-2005 07:55 PM