Michael Garrard

Default Char Griller at Kroger

I just bought (stole?) a Char Griller Super Pro for $59.98 (with card) at my
hometown Kroger. They had two, should have bought them both.

If I remember, the stack is in the door. What did anybody do to lower the
exhaust?

Thanks,
Mike Garrard

Michael Garrard wrote:
> I just bought (stole?) a Char Griller Super Pro for $59.98 (with card) at my
> hometown Kroger. They had two, should have bought them both.
>
> If I remember, the stack is in the door. What did anybody do to lower the
> exhaust?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Garrard

Wow- great price- Congratulations!! Be sure to get the SFB- I have the
Char Griller SP w/ SFB, and I love it. I use it w/ and w/o the SFB, but
prefer using the SFB. Simply buy some chimney flashing- I used the 10"
width. Cut a piece about 12-15 " long, roll it up a little smaller in
diameter than the smokestack, and put in inside the stack- from the
inside, w/ the hood up, until you have the extended length you need!
With this method, you can raise the extension, if needed, to make room
for food on the grates!
If you do get the SFB, I recommend adding a steel baffle between the
main body and the SFB. My neighbor made one for mine that hangs on the
inside of the main body, over the side next to the SFB. That way, I can
remove it to make adjustments to it, and to clean the main body.

Good luck,

Jim

BigBob

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> ..snip..snip
> If you do get the SFB, I recommend adding a steel baffle between the
> main body and the SFB. My neighbor made one for mine that hangs on the
> inside of the main body, over the side next to the SFB. That way, I can
> remove it to make adjustments to it, and to clean the main body.

Hey Jim - Quick question.... I'm using the CharGriller with the SFB and have
been pretty pleased with it. I've added the chimney extension but I'm
curious about the baffle. Are you using the baffle to deflect direct heat?
I've had some problems with that on mine. I've inverted the fire pan in the
main chamber, which helped some but not enough. I'd appreciate any details
on your baffle - what's it made of, how did you hang it, etc. I'm not a
metal worker, but I'd like to jury-rig something. Thanks,
Bob

Al Reid

"BigBob" > wrote in message
om...
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> ..snip..snip
>> If you do get the SFB, I recommend adding a steel baffle between the
>> main body and the SFB. My neighbor made one for mine that hangs on the
>> inside of the main body, over the side next to the SFB. That way, I can
>> remove it to make adjustments to it, and to clean the main body.
>>

> Hey Jim - Quick question.... I'm using the CharGriller with the SFB and
> have been pretty pleased with it. I've added the chimney extension but I'm
> curious about the baffle. Are you using the baffle to deflect direct heat?
> I've had some problems with that on mine. I've inverted the fire pan in
> the main chamber, which helped some but not enough. I'd appreciate any
> details on your baffle - what's it made of, how did you hang it, etc. I'm
> not a metal worker, but I'd like to jury-rig something. Thanks,
> Bob

I have the Char-Broil Silver Smoker, which is similar to what you have. If
you would like, I can post pics of the baffle modification on abf.

Let me know.

--
Al Reid

BigBob wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > ..snip..snip
> > If you do get the SFB, I recommend adding a steel baffle between the
> > main body and the SFB. My neighbor made one for mine that hangs on the
> > inside of the main body, over the side next to the SFB. That way, I can
> > remove it to make adjustments to it, and to clean the main body.
> >

> Hey Jim - Quick question.... I'm using the CharGriller with the SFB and have
> been pretty pleased with it. I've added the chimney extension but I'm
> curious about the baffle. Are you using the baffle to deflect direct heat?
> I've had some problems with that on mine. I've inverted the fire pan in the
> main chamber, which helped some but not enough. I'd appreciate any details
> on your baffle - what's it made of, how did you hang it, etc. I'm not a
> metal worker, but I'd like to jury-rig something. Thanks,
> Bob

Hey Bob-

Hopefully I can explain the baffle to you in a way that makes sense!
I'm not too "mechanically" or otherwise inclined, which is why my
neighbor made the baffle for me. Thankfully, he has every tool
imaginable, and can make just about anything out of just about
anything! I bought a piece of steel- a little bigger than the inside of
the main body- I think it was 22 guage, and about 18"x12" at Lowes. You
want it thin enough so that it can be bent in a vice- with a hammer, or
even by hand. My neighbor- we'll call him Dave- since that's his name,
measured the right side of the inside of the main body- hood opened. He
then cut out a piece from the steel that was shaped just like the
inside righthand side of the body- with about a 1/4"-1/2" gap around
the curved part. It matches exactly with the top, and the slight gap is
on the sides and bottom, or the curved part of the main body. Dave then
cut 2 small strips, both towards the front and the back, along the
curved part, about 1/2" wide and 1" long, and bent them towards the
right side, (the SFB) so that they would push the baffle slightly away
from the opening, allowing heat in, but deflecting it, in order to
avoid direct heat. He cut two strips from the leftover steel, app
1&1/2" wide and 2-3" long, and riveted them on the top of the baffle,
app 2" from the front and again 2" from the back, and formed these to
act as "hangers". I hang the baffle from the top of the main body,
inside the main body, along the righthand side, in front of the opening
between the main body and the SFB. I drilled a few holes in the baffle,
as the temp was not getting quite hot enough. This also makes it easy
to remove the baffle to clean the main body! Unfortunately, I have no
way to post pictures of the baffle. I'd advise you to check out the
pictures Al Reid posted, as his baffle may be even better than mine.
However, mine is definetely effective, and I like the fact that it is
easily removable for cleaning, etc.

Hope this helps,

Jim

BigBob

"Al Reid" > wrote in message

> I have the Char-Broil Silver Smoker, which is similar to what you have.
> If you would like, I can post pics of the baffle modification on abf.
>
> Let me know.
>
> --
> Al Reid

Yeah Al, that'd be great. Where can I see the photos?

Al Reid

"BigBob" > wrote in message om...
> "Al Reid" > wrote in message
> >
> > I have the Char-Broil Silver Smoker, which is similar to what you have.
> > If you would like, I can post pics of the baffle modification on abf.
> >
> > Let me know.
> >
> > --
> > Al Reid

> Yeah Al, that'd be great. Where can I see the photos?

I'll either post a link or put them on alt.binaries.food. I'll reply back when I get home and have a chance to do it.

--
Al Reid

Al Reid

"BigBob" > wrote in message
om...
> "Al Reid" > wrote in message
>>
>> I have the Char-Broil Silver Smoker, which is similar to what you have.
>> If you would like, I can post pics of the baffle modification on abf.
>>
>> Let me know.
>>
>> --
>> Al Reid

> Yeah Al, that'd be great. Where can I see the photos?

BigBob,

Here are links to three photos of the modifications.

1.) http://bbq.reid-home.com/chimney.jpg - shows a piece of aluminum
flashing that has been rolled up and inserted into the chimney to extend it
to grate level.

2) http://bbq.reid-home.com/baffle.jpg - shows the piece of aluminum
flashing that was cut, bent and attached over the opening between the
firebox and the cooking chamber. It is attached using two of the bolts that
attach the firebox to the cooking chamber.

3) http://bbq.reid-home.com/brick.jpg - shows the brick that is layed along
the bottom of the cooking chamber, along with the other two mods. The brick
provides a heat sink that resists rapid temperature changes.

I am quite happy with the cooker, after having made the mods.

--

Al Reid

BigBob

"Al Reid" > wrote in message
> "BigBob" > wrote in message
> om...
>> "Al Reid" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have the Char-Broil Silver Smoker, which is similar to what you have.
>>> If you would like, I can post pics of the baffle modification on abf.
>>>
>>> Let me know.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Reid

>> Yeah Al, that'd be great. Where can I see the photos?
>>

> BigBob,
>
> Here are links to three photos of the modifications.
>
> 1.) http://bbq.reid-home.com/chimney.jpg - shows a piece of aluminum
> flashing that has been rolled up and inserted into the chimney to extend
> it to grate level.
>
> 2) http://bbq.reid-home.com/baffle.jpg - shows the piece of aluminum
> flashing that was cut, bent and attached over the opening between the
> firebox and the cooking chamber. It is attached using two of the bolts
> that attach the firebox to the cooking chamber.
>
> 3) http://bbq.reid-home.com/brick.jpg - shows the brick that is layed
> along the bottom of the cooking chamber, along with the other two mods.
> The brick provides a heat sink that resists rapid temperature changes.
>
> I am quite happy with the cooker, after having made the mods.
>
> --
>
> Al Reid

Thanks Al, I appreciate the photos. I've already extended my chimney, but
not the other two mods. Did you use the same flashing material for the
baffle, or is it heavier gauge. It looks like pretty stiff stuff. Thanks
again.

Al Reid

"BigBob" > wrote in message
om...
>> BigBob,
>>
>> Here are links to three photos of the modifications.
>>
>> 1.) http://bbq.reid-home.com/chimney.jpg - shows a piece of aluminum
>> flashing that has been rolled up and inserted into the chimney to extend
>> it to grate level.
>>
>> 2) http://bbq.reid-home.com/baffle.jpg - shows the piece of aluminum
>> flashing that was cut, bent and attached over the opening between the
>> firebox and the cooking chamber. It is attached using two of the bolts
>> that attach the firebox to the cooking chamber.
>>
>> 3) http://bbq.reid-home.com/brick.jpg - shows the brick that is layed
>> along the bottom of the cooking chamber, along with the other two mods.
>> The brick provides a heat sink that resists rapid temperature changes.
>>
>> I am quite happy with the cooker, after having made the mods.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Reid

> Thanks Al, I appreciate the photos. I've already extended my chimney, but
> not the other two mods. Did you use the same flashing material for the
> baffle, or is it heavier gauge. It looks like pretty stiff stuff. Thanks
> again.

I used the same stuff. I really don't know what gauge or thickness since it
was just something I found laying around in the shed (left by the previous
owner). It was certainly thin enough to roll for the chimney mod.

--
Al Reid

Joe Pak

"Al Reid" > wrote in message
> "BigBob" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Al Reid" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I have the Char-Broil Silver Smoker, which is similar to what you have.
> >> If you would like, I can post pics of the baffle modification on abf.
> >>
> >> Let me know.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Reid

> > Yeah Al, that'd be great. Where can I see the photos?
> >

> BigBob,
>
> Here are links to three photos of the modifications.
>
> 1.) http://bbq.reid-home.com/chimney.jpg - shows a piece of aluminum
> flashing that has been rolled up and inserted into the chimney to extend

it
> to grate level.
>
> 2) http://bbq.reid-home.com/baffle.jpg - shows the piece of aluminum
> flashing that was cut, bent and attached over the opening between the
> firebox and the cooking chamber. It is attached using two of the bolts

that
> attach the firebox to the cooking chamber.
>
> 3) http://bbq.reid-home.com/brick.jpg - shows the brick that is layed

along
> the bottom of the cooking chamber, along with the other two mods. The

brick
> provides a heat sink that resists rapid temperature changes.
>
> I am quite happy with the cooker, after having made the mods.
>
> --
>
> Al Reid

Al, I understand the thinking behind the baffle and the bricks, but what
does lowering the chimney to grate level do?

Joe

Al Reid

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> "Joe Pak" > wrote in message
>>

> <Snipped for readability>
>
>> Al, I understand the thinking behind the baffle and the bricks, but what
>> does lowering the chimney to grate level do?
>>

> Heat rises, smoke rises with the heat, both escape from a chimney placed
> high above the meat. You could raise the meat I suppose, but lowering the
> chimney is easier. It brings the heat and smoke down to the cooking area.
> There's even some higher end equipment with designs meant to circulate
> the
> heat and smoke.
>

> Many purpose built cookers have their exhaust vents /chimney placed
> anywhere
> from just below to just above the cooking grates.

What Duwop said!

--
Al Reid

Duwop

"Joe Pak" > wrote in message

<Snipped for readability>

> Al, I understand the thinking behind the baffle and the bricks, but what
> does lowering the chimney to grate level do?

Heat rises, smoke rises with the heat, both escape from a chimney placed
high above the meat. You could raise the meat I suppose, but lowering the
chimney is easier. It brings the heat and smoke down to the cooking area.
There's even some higher end equipment with designs meant to circulate the
heat and smoke.

Many purpose built cookers have their exhaust vents /chimney placed anywhere
from just below to just above the cooking grates.

Joe Pak

"Al Reid" > wrote in message
> "Duwop" > wrote in message
> > "Joe Pak" > wrote in message
> >>

> > <Snipped for readability>
> >
> >> Al, I understand the thinking behind the baffle and the bricks, but

what
> >> does lowering the chimney to grate level do?
> >>

> > Heat rises, smoke rises with the heat, both escape from a chimney placed
> > high above the meat. You could raise the meat I suppose, but lowering

the
> > chimney is easier. It brings the heat and smoke down to the cooking

area.
> > There's even some higher end equipment with designs meant to circulate
> > the
> > heat and smoke.
> >

> > Many purpose built cookers have their exhaust vents /chimney placed
> > anywhere
> > from just below to just above the cooking grates.
> >

> What Duwop said!
>
> --
> Al Reid

Makes sense. Thanks guys!

Joe

Jon Judson

Joe Pak wrote:

"I understand the thinking behind the baffle and the bricks, but what does
lowering the chimney to grate level do?"

In my opinion, nothing good. Unless you like creosote, bitterness, and
oversmoked food.

I used to have my chimney down to grate level on my smoker, but pulled the
extension off. I think improving the draft through the pit helps improve
the end result with food flavor. In my beginning days, I smoked the heck
out of everything, thinking that it made for good BBQ. Now, I've discovered
that good BBQ means a proper balance of smoke flavor to meat/spice flavor.
You'll find in many championships, the number one or two complaint judges
have with BBQ is "oversmoked flavor." Pulling the chimney down to grate
level does two things: Holds the smoke in the chamber longer at a lower
level, and helps hold heat. If you're bricking up your pit bottom, the heat
retention problem is solved.

Just my two cents... (worth four cents in this housing market)

BigBob

"Al Reid" > wrote in message

>> Thanks Al, I appreciate the photos. I've already extended my chimney, but
>> not the other two mods. Did you use the same flashing material for the
>> baffle, or is it heavier gauge. It looks like pretty stiff stuff. Thanks
>> again.

> I used the same stuff. I really don't know what gauge or thickness since
> it was just something I found laying around in the shed (left by the
> previous owner). It was certainly thin enough to roll for the chimney
> mod.

Sounds good to me. I appreciate you sharing the pics. If the rain ever
stops, looks like I've got some work to do!

Al Reid

"Jon Judson" > wrote in message
> Joe Pak wrote:
>
> "I understand the thinking behind the baffle and the bricks, but what does
> lowering the chimney to grate level do?"
>
> In my opinion, nothing good. Unless you like creosote, bitterness, and
> oversmoked food.
>
> I used to have my chimney down to grate level on my smoker, but pulled the
> extension off. I think improving the draft through the pit helps improve
> the end result with food flavor. In my beginning days, I smoked the heck
> out of everything, thinking that it made for good BBQ. Now, I've
> discovered that good BBQ means a proper balance of smoke flavor to
> meat/spice flavor. You'll find in many championships, the number one or
> two complaint judges have with BBQ is "oversmoked flavor." Pulling the
> chimney down to grate level does two things: Holds the smoke in the
> chamber longer at a lower level, and helps hold heat. If you're bricking
> up your pit bottom, the heat retention problem is solved.
>
> Just my two cents... (worth four cents in this housing market)

The only thing I can add is that I did a test before and after and found
that the temperature along the length of the grate was more constant with
the mod that without it. I don't have any exact figures, but the
temperature at the chimney end was about 20 deg higher with the mod than
without it. But, I also did the test before making any of the mods. Also,
I leace the chimney damper wide open while smoking and control the temp
using only the firebox damper. I like my results but YMMV.

--
Al Reid

char griller duo repainting Walt[_2_] Barbecue 1 28-05-2010 12:30 AM
Char Griller Duo Mods Joseph Barbecue 16 13-04-2008 10:01 PM
first smoke on char-griller duo Walt Fles Barbecue 48 13-04-2008 03:04 AM
opinion about char-griller Walt Fles Barbecue 13 12-03-2008 06:39 AM
Best Way to Clean my Char-Griller??? [email protected] Barbecue 6 24-06-2005 06:55 PM