Old 14-08-2005, 10:50 PM
ken ullman

Default Lump charcoal VS Charcoal briquettes

I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
charcoal here in Houston, TX.

Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.

When I am using briquettes, I let about 80% of the briquettes turn grey in
the chimney before dumping them into the smoker. Then I let it sit there
with the covers close, except the chimney stack, until the unit heats up to
the desire temperature.

My bbq-ing has improved thanks to all of you. I would like to continue to
improve. The taste still needs some improvement, but I am getting a nice
smoke ring and an OK bark on my brisket. The temperature I am for is around
250-275F . I smoke a 10# brisket for about 8 hours, 4 hours uncovered then I
wrap it up in aluminum foil then cook it for another 4 until the internal
temp reaches 180F.

If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

Old 14-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Matthew L. Martin

ken ullman wrote:
[...]

I've never used foil while cooking bbq. When I do a brisket, I cook at
275+/-25 for as long as it takes for a fork to turn easily after being
stuck in the meat.

What are you using for wood and rubs?

Matthew
Old 14-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Dave Bugg

ken ullman wrote:
I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this
better than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time
locating lump charcoal here in Houston, TX.

Weimar ain't all that far for an afternoon road trip. That's where B&B
charcoal is located. Some of the best charcoal anywhere. Take a pickup and
get a pallet load. You'll be glad you did.

If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

Get rid of the foil and keep it on the pit au natural. Once you wrap it in
foil, there is no benefit at all from putting it back in the pit instead of
using a regular oven.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Old 15-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Brick

On 14-Aug-2005, ken ullman wrote:

I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
charcoal here in Houston, TX.

Yes

Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.

No

When I am using briquettes, I let about 80% of the briquettes turn grey in
the chimney before dumping them into the smoker. Then I let it sit there
with the covers close, except the chimney stack, until the unit heats up to
the desire temperature.

Don't know what your cooking with/on, so can't suggest anything. Grills,
offsets and bullet smokers are vastly different machines.

My bbq-ing has improved thanks to all of you. I would like to continue to
improve. The taste still needs some improvement, but I am getting a nice
smoke ring and an OK bark on my brisket.

In the beginning, all smoke penetration was avoided to the maximum extent
possible. Primitive methods made smoke taste elimination very difficult, but
every effort was expended to eliminate it. In the old days, nobody wanted to
taste the fire.

Brisket tastes like brisket. That is it doesn't have much of a taste until you
season it with something. Most people like Salt & Pepper. Some like BBQ
sauce. If you cooked it right, the cooked in spices will carry over onto the
plate and take care of it. Sliced brisket will have to be treated differently from
chopped or shredded brisket. Chopped will include the bark, distributed
throughout the meat. Sliced will have a little bark around the edges, which
might likely be rejected by the diner as unsightly.

The temperature I am for is around
250-275F . I smoke a 10# brisket for about 8 hours, 4 hours uncovered then I
wrap it up in aluminum foil then cook it for another 4 until the internal
temp reaches 180F.

If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

Your temperature range is good, but I would never use that foil gag. No
way do I want to steam my brisket. And, I would cook it until a fork will
twist easily in the thickest part of the meat.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Old 15-08-2005, 02:36 PM
LT

Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.

Don't know about your end of Texas, but in DFW, all of the Wal-Marts carry
Royal Oak, and a resonable price.

Larry T

Old 15-08-2005, 02:48 PM
ceed

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:36:12 -0500, LT wrote:

Don't know about your end of Texas, but in DFW, all of the Wal-Marts
carry
Royal Oak, and a resonable price.

Just picked up 8 bags of Royal Oak lump from WM here in Austin. TX at
$5.23 a bag. However, I noticed that they were putting Royal Oak
briquettes up on the shelf while I was there. I really hope they aren't
going to drop lump for briquettes. I asked, but the person I spoke to
didn't know and it took me a while to explain that there's actually a
difference between lump and briquettes. Gotta love WM....

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Old 15-08-2005, 03:23 PM
ken ullman

On 8/15/05 8:48 AM, in article [email protected], "ceed"
[email protected] stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:36:12 -0500, LT wrote:

Don't know about your end of Texas, but in DFW, all of the Wal-Marts
carry
Royal Oak, and a resonable price.

Just picked up 8 bags of Royal Oak lump from WM here in Austin. TX at
$5.23 a bag. However, I noticed that they were putting Royal Oak
briquettes up on the shelf while I was there. I really hope they aren't
going to drop lump for briquettes. I asked, but the person I spoke to
didn't know and it took me a while to explain that there's actually a
difference between lump and briquettes. Gotta love WM....

Unfortunately, our WM carries only the briquettes.

Old 15-08-2005, 03:26 PM
LT

I asked, but the person I spoke to
didn't know and it took me a while to explain that there's actually a
difference between lump and briquettes. Gotta love WM....

--
//ceed ©¿©¬

I've not seen the RO briquettes yet, but hope that's not a sign of the
times. Wally-World is so damn big, and their buyers probably have incentives
to get the best pricing so you just never know.

I've seen some lump at Lowes, but can't remember the brand name... wasn't
RO. And in our area, there is always BBQ Galore which carries lump at about
$14 for 20# bag.

Larry T

Old 15-08-2005, 07:46 PM
LewZephyr

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:50:20 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
understand ken ullman :

I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
charcoal here in Houston, TX.

I'm in Houston as well... north side to be exact.
Walmart has the Red bags of Royal Oak Lump.
Its usually outside on a pallet in the garden area (ya outside where
the plants etc are)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke
Old 15-08-2005, 07:48 PM
LewZephyr

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:46:19 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
LewZephyr :

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:50:20 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
understand ken ullman :

I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
charcoal here in Houston, TX.

I'm in Houston as well... north side to be exact.
Walmart has the Red bags of Royal Oak Lump.
Its usually outside on a pallet in the garden area (ya outside where
the plants etc are)

Oh, ya BBQ Galore carries various lump coal. I tend to not shop there
due to their highly over priced setup.

Good luck

Old 16-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Duwop

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:50:20 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
understand ken ullman :

40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO for Q.

I love rubbing that in to you poor Texan's shopping ChinaWallMart. :-D

Even better, my new job is only 5 minutes from the distribution center.

Old 16-08-2005, 06:49 PM
dwacon.

"Duwop" wrote in message

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:50:20 -0500, I needed a babel fish to
understand ken ullman :

40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO for
Q.

If only you could run your car on it... rather than the nearly $4/gallon
gasoline!

--
She wondered, “what is he chewing on?”
And suddenly, she realized...

Old 16-08-2005, 07:18 PM
ceed

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:49:50 -0500, dwacon. wrote:

40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO
for
Q.

If only you could run your car on it... rather than the nearly $4/gallon
gasoline!

Actually, you can. Or could rather. In Norway where I am from originally
people had cars during World War II that ran on wood chunks. These cars
had a "generator" on the back where they threw the wood chuncks in. It
burnt and generated gases the car ran on. This fuel was called "knott".
This was the only available fuel back then. All the gasoline and oil
products went to the nazi occupants. The only picture I could find is of
a bus with a generator on the back:

http://lotus.uib.no/norgeslexi/krigs...generator.html

Would be a dream machine for the BBQ fanatic: A self propelled pit!

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Old 16-08-2005, 08:00 PM
dwacon.

wrote in message news[email protected]
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:49:50 -0500, dwacon. wrote:

40lbs of good smokey oak lump for $13 here is California. Better'n RO
for
Q.

If only you could run your car on it... rather than the nearly $4/gallon
gasoline!

Actually, you can. Or could rather. In Norway where I am from originally
people had cars during World War II that ran on wood chunks. These cars
had a "generator" on the back where they threw the wood chuncks in. It
burnt and generated gases the car ran on. This fuel was called "knott".

Great... we should market this as an alternative hybrid vehicle and can get
Don Knotts to be the spokesperson.

Old 16-08-2005, 08:27 PM
David Brown

So the engine could run on both gasoline and the "gases" the wood created
when burning? Or maybe it was steam pressure?

- A California dweller