Brick

On 14-Aug-2005, ken ullman > wrote:

> I have found Royal Oak Charcoal but they are briquettes. Is this better
> than Kingsford brand of briquettes. I am having a hard time locating lump
> charcoal here in Houston, TX.

Yes

> Anyone who can direct me to a local supplier would be greatly appreciated.
> Buying On-line gets expensive especially the cost for shipping.

No

> When I am using briquettes, I let about 80% of the briquettes turn grey in
> the chimney before dumping them into the smoker. Then I let it sit there
> with the covers close, except the chimney stack, until the unit heats up to
> the desire temperature.

Don't know what your cooking with/on, so can't suggest anything. Grills,
offsets and bullet smokers are vastly different machines.

> My bbq-ing has improved thanks to all of you. I would like to continue to
> improve. The taste still needs some improvement, but I am getting a nice
> smoke ring and an OK bark on my brisket.

In the beginning, all smoke penetration was avoided to the maximum extent
possible. Primitive methods made smoke taste elimination very difficult, but
every effort was expended to eliminate it. In the old days, nobody wanted to
taste the fire.

Brisket tastes like brisket. That is it doesn't have much of a taste until you
season it with something. Most people like Salt & Pepper. Some like BBQ
sauce. If you cooked it right, the cooked in spices will carry over onto the
plate and take care of it. Sliced brisket will have to be treated differently from
chopped or shredded brisket. Chopped will include the bark, distributed
throughout the meat. Sliced will have a little bark around the edges, which
might likely be rejected by the diner as unsightly.

The temperature I am for is around
> 250-275F . I smoke a 10# brisket for about 8 hours, 4 hours uncovered then I
> wrap it up in aluminum foil then cook it for another 4 until the internal
> temp reaches 180F.
>
> If anyone has any additional pointers let me know.

Your temperature range is good, but I would never use that foil gag. No
way do I want to steam my brisket. And, I would cook it until a fork will
twist easily in the thickest part of the meat.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)