Old 22-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Banjo

Default Meat Grinders

What do y'all use?

I have one of those hand-crank jobs, and double-grinding more than a couple
of pounds of meat pretty much sucks.

Any recommendations for an electric one, without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

-Banjo

Old 22-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Paul Qualls

I will guarantee you that unless you pick something up at a Garage Sale that
is in good shape, you aren't going go get a great grinder. I made the jump
a few years back and bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer. It is expensive, but then
you can get the grinder and all the other attachments as needed. This will
save you angst in the long run.

Paul

Old 22-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Patrik Henriksson

"Paul Qualls" wrote in message
I will guarantee you that unless you pick something up at a Garage Sale

that
is in good shape, you aren't going go get a great grinder. I made the

jump
a few years back and bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer. It is expensive, but

then
you can get the grinder and all the other attachments as needed. This

will
save you angst in the long run.

How sturdy is the K-A attachements grinder really?

I looked at it several times considering buying one or go for a standalone
like the Maverick http://www.pierceequipment.com/grinders.html at a higher
price ofcource.

So anyone with experience of the K-A attachement grinder how tough stuff can
you grind with it, does it take smaller softer bones without choking?
--

-----
Patrik 'Putte' Henriksson

Old 22-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Patrik Henriksson" wrote in message

[...]

I have a KA with the grinder attachment and it works fine. I haven't tried to
grind bones (not sure why you'd want to) but it will chew up a pork butt.

IMO there are two keys.

- Low Speed

- Meat cut into strips smaller than the feed tube.

You won't get high production but it will do okay. It comes with 2 different
sized dies.

Tyler

Old 22-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Jack Curry

"Banjo" wrote in message
What do y'all use?

I have one of those hand-crank jobs, and double-grinding more than a

couple
of pounds of meat pretty much sucks.

Any recommendations for an electric one, without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

-Banjo

I bought a Krups electric grinder for $100 at Bed Bath & Beyond. Comes with
two plates, sausage stuffer, cheese grinder and some other things I will
never use. Works quite well for grinding, but stuffing casings is a serious
job.

Jack Curry

Old 22-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Banjo

"Paul Qualls" wrote in message
I will guarantee you that unless you pick something up at a Garage Sale

that
is in good shape, you aren't going go get a great grinder. I made the

jump
a few years back and bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer. It is expensive, but

then
you can get the grinder and all the other attachments as needed. This

will
save you angst in the long run.

Paul

We already have a Kitchen Aid mixer, so the grinder attachment is a definite
option.

Perhaps I should explain what "break the bank" means. I would guess around
a $100 limit.

I saw some nice ones at Allied Kenco, but those were $350 and up. If I made
THAT much sausage, I would have time for little else.

Thanks!

-Banjo

Old 22-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Banjo

I would just use it for grinding. I'll look at the Krups and compare with
the KA.

I have a 3 lb. stuffer I am quite happy with. Sausage Maker - the cast-iron
plunger-style. Stuffing the casings is the second most satisfying part of
making sausage.

See ya!

-Banjo

"Jack Curry" Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com wrote in message
om...

Old 22-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Banjo" wrote in message

We already have a Kitchen Aid mixer, so the grinder attachment is a definite
option.

Perhaps I should explain what "break the bank" means. I would guess around
a $100 limit.

I saw some nice ones at Allied Kenco, but those were $350 and up. If I made
THAT much sausage, I would have time for little else.

Thanks!

-Banjo

You have two options. One of the attachment sets comes with just the grinder and
pusher. The other adds two sausage fill tubes.

We were fortunate when we bought ours that the mixer itself was on sale big time
and the attachment set with the tubes was $25. I think the set normally goes for
~$50.

_________
ht_redneck

P.S. - I grew up around a Bergeron family

Old 22-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Banjo" wrote in message
I would just use it for grinding. I'll look at the Krups and compare with
the KA.

I have a 3 lb. stuffer I am quite happy with. Sausage Maker - the cast-iron
plunger-style. Stuffing the casings is the second most satisfying part of
making sausage.

See ya!

-Banjo

Then you're golden if high production isn't you're aim. I use it all the time to
grind butt for bulk chorizo.

_________
ht_redneck

MEAT GRINDERS No Name General Cooking 24 21-09-2010 02:00 PM
meat grinders Nan[_3_] General Cooking 16 14-11-2009 07:46 PM
Where to buy meat grinders? Steve Barbecue 9 12-03-2006 05:38 PM
meat grinders meatgrinder General Cooking 14 03-01-2004 03:36 PM
meat grinders meatgrinder Cooking Equipment 10 03-01-2004 03:36 PM