FoodBanter.com

-   -   Meat Grinders (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/28879-meat-grinders.html)

Banjo 22-07-2004 03:15 PM

Meat Grinders

What do y'all use?

I have one of those hand-crank jobs, and double-grinding more than a couple
of pounds of meat pretty much sucks.

Any recommendations for an electric one, without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

-Banjo

Paul Qualls 22-07-2004 03:36 PM

Meat Grinders

I will guarantee you that unless you pick something up at a Garage Sale that
is in good shape, you aren't going go get a great grinder. I made the jump
a few years back and bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer. It is expensive, but then
you can get the grinder and all the other attachments as needed. This will
save you angst in the long run.

Paul

Paul Qualls 22-07-2004 03:36 PM

Meat Grinders

Patrik Henriksson 22-07-2004 03:58 PM

Meat Grinders

"Paul Qualls" > wrote in message
> I will guarantee you that unless you pick something up at a Garage Sale

that
> is in good shape, you aren't going go get a great grinder. I made the

jump
> a few years back and bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer. It is expensive, but

then
> you can get the grinder and all the other attachments as needed. This

will
> save you angst in the long run.

How sturdy is the K-A attachements grinder really?

I looked at it several times considering buying one or go for a standalone
like the Maverick http://www.pierceequipment.com/grinders.html at a higher
price ofcource.

So anyone with experience of the K-A attachement grinder how tough stuff can
you grind with it, does it take smaller softer bones without choking?
--

-----
Patrik 'Putte' Henriksson

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 04:07 PM

Meat Grinders

"Patrik Henriksson" > wrote in message

> "Paul Qualls" > wrote in message
> > I will guarantee you that unless you pick something up at a Garage Sale

> that
> > is in good shape, you aren't going go get a great grinder. I made the

> jump
> > a few years back and bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer. It is expensive, but

> then
> > you can get the grinder and all the other attachments as needed. This

> will
> > save you angst in the long run.

> How sturdy is the K-A attachements grinder really?
>
> I looked at it several times considering buying one or go for a standalone
> like the Maverick http://www.pierceequipment.com/grinders.html at a higher
> price ofcource.
>
> So anyone with experience of the K-A attachement grinder how tough stuff can
> you grind with it, does it take smaller softer bones without choking?

I have a KA with the grinder attachment and it works fine. I haven't tried to
grind bones (not sure why you'd want to) but it will chew up a pork butt.

IMO there are two keys.

- Low Speed

- Meat cut into strips smaller than the feed tube.

You won't get high production but it will do okay. It comes with 2 different
sized dies.

Tyler

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 04:07 PM

Meat Grinders

Jack Curry 22-07-2004 04:22 PM

Meat Grinders

"Banjo" > wrote in message
> What do y'all use?
>
> I have one of those hand-crank jobs, and double-grinding more than a

couple
> of pounds of meat pretty much sucks.
>
> Any recommendations for an electric one, without breaking the bank?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Banjo

I bought a Krups electric grinder for $100 at Bed Bath & Beyond. Comes with
two plates, sausage stuffer, cheese grinder and some other things I will
never use. Works quite well for grinding, but stuffing casings is a serious
job.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry 22-07-2004 04:22 PM

Meat Grinders

Banjo 22-07-2004 04:30 PM

Meat Grinders

"Paul Qualls" > wrote in message
> I will guarantee you that unless you pick something up at a Garage Sale

that
> is in good shape, you aren't going go get a great grinder. I made the

jump
> a few years back and bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer. It is expensive, but

then
> you can get the grinder and all the other attachments as needed. This

will
> save you angst in the long run.
>
> Paul

We already have a Kitchen Aid mixer, so the grinder attachment is a definite
option.

Perhaps I should explain what "break the bank" means. I would guess around
a $100 limit.

I saw some nice ones at Allied Kenco, but those were $350 and up. If I made
THAT much sausage, I would have time for little else.

Thanks!

-Banjo

Banjo 22-07-2004 04:30 PM

Meat Grinders

Banjo 22-07-2004 04:41 PM

Meat Grinders

I would just use it for grinding. I'll look at the Krups and compare with
the KA.

I have a 3 lb. stuffer I am quite happy with. Sausage Maker - the cast-iron
plunger-style. Stuffing the casings is the second most satisfying part of
making sausage.

See ya!

-Banjo

om...

Banjo 22-07-2004 04:41 PM

Meat Grinders

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 04:51 PM

Meat Grinders

"Banjo" > wrote in message

> We already have a Kitchen Aid mixer, so the grinder attachment is a definite
> option.
>
> Perhaps I should explain what "break the bank" means. I would guess around
> a $100 limit.
>
> I saw some nice ones at Allied Kenco, but those were $350 and up. If I made
> THAT much sausage, I would have time for little else.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Banjo

You have two options. One of the attachment sets comes with just the grinder and
pusher. The other adds two sausage fill tubes.

We were fortunate when we bought ours that the mixer itself was on sale big time
and the attachment set with the tubes was $25. I think the set normally goes for
~$50.

_________
ht_redneck

P.S. - I grew up around a Bergeron family

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 04:56 PM

Meat Grinders

"Banjo" > wrote in message
> I would just use it for grinding. I'll look at the Krups and compare with
> the KA.
>
> I have a 3 lb. stuffer I am quite happy with. Sausage Maker - the cast-iron
> plunger-style. Stuffing the casings is the second most satisfying part of
> making sausage.
>
> See ya!
>
> -Banjo

Then you're golden if high production isn't you're aim. I use it all the time to
grind butt for bulk chorizo.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 04:56 PM

Meat Grinders

Bruce 22-07-2004 05:35 PM

Meat Grinders

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:30:49 -0500, "Banjo"
> wrote:

>We already have a Kitchen Aid mixer, so the grinder attachment is a definite
>option.
>
>Perhaps I should explain what "break the bank" means. I would guess around
>a $100 limit.
>
>I saw some nice ones at Allied Kenco, but those were $350 and up. If I made
>THAT much sausage, I would have time for little else.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-Banjo

I've been using the KA w/grinder attachment for several years. I've
ground up as much as 30 lbs of pork butts at one sitting without any
problems. Keep the meat cold, cut into strips, and the KA will work
fine. I just ground about 3 lbs of chuck yesterday in a couple of
minutes. MY KA is the low end wattage motor. I'm happy with it.

Bruce

Bruce 22-07-2004 05:35 PM

Meat Grinders

Banjo 22-07-2004 06:22 PM

Meat Grinders

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message news:ZnRLc.21971
> P.S. - I grew up around a Bergeron family

What state?

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 06:34 PM

Meat Grinders

"Banjo" > wrote in message

> "Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message news:ZnRLc.21971
> > P.S. - I grew up around a Bergeron family
> >

> What state?

Texas. It was in the southeast corner very close to La.

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 06:34 PM

Meat Grinders

Banjo 22-07-2004 06:37 PM

Meat Grinders

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "Banjo" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message news:ZnRLc.21971
> > > P.S. - I grew up around a Bergeron family
> > >

> > What state?

> Texas. It was in the southeast corner very close to La.

Vidor? <grin>

I move to Houston in '81. Spent most of my previous years in Florida or
N.J.

Banjo 22-07-2004 06:37 PM

Meat Grinders

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 06:44 PM

Meat Grinders

"Banjo" > wrote in message

> Vidor? <grin>
>
> I move to Houston in '81. Spent most of my previous years in Florida or
> N.J.

Very close. It was in Groves. We had relatives in Vidor though.

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 06:44 PM

Meat Grinders

John H 22-07-2004 07:52 PM

Meat Grinders

I too will say that the KA grinder is tough. My wife and I will do
10-15 pounds of cheap streak for burger or the same for sausage
without so much as whimper. The thing is great.

I too will say that KA is great for warrently..life time. I noticed a
crack in the grinder body where is attaches to the KA. I called KA's
800 number, told them of the problem and 2 days later the grinder body
was in the mail box. ALL THIS AFTER 20+ years of use. No question
other than address. Great customer support.

Just my 2 cents

John H 22-07-2004 07:52 PM

Meat Grinders

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 08:06 PM

Meat Grinders

"John H" > wrote in message
> I too will say that the KA grinder is tough. My wife and I will do
> 10-15 pounds of cheap streak for burger or the same for sausage
> without so much as whimper. The thing is great.
>
> I too will say that KA is great for warrently..life time. I noticed a
> crack in the grinder body where is attaches to the KA. I called KA's
> 800 number, told them of the problem and 2 days later the grinder body
> was in the mail box. ALL THIS AFTER 20+ years of use. No question
> other than address. Great customer support.
>
> Just my 2 cents

You're lucky to have one of the older ones which, as I understand, were rebadged
Hobarts. The big issue with the newer ones is that they have plastic gears which
will shear under a heavy load. IIRC there was a brochure insert that warned to
not knead bread dough above the #2 speed.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper 22-07-2004 08:06 PM

Meat Grinders

barchetta 23-07-2004 04:55 AM

Meat Grinders

We use a meat grinder attachment to our heavy duty Kitchenaid mixer.
Works fine, but we have discovered some small cracks in the plastic
near the exit part of the grinder. Unsure when/how/why it appeared.

Peace,
stephen s.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:15:50 -0500, "Banjo"

barchetta 23-07-2004 04:55 AM

Meat Grinders

M&M 24-07-2004 10:52 AM

Meat Grinders

On 22-Jul-2004, "Patrik Henriksson" > wrote:

> "Paul Qualls" > wrote in message

<snip>

> I looked at it several times considering buying one or go for a standalone
> like the Maverick http://www.pierceequipment.com/grinders.html at a higher
> price ofcource.
>
> So anyone with experience of the K-A attachement grinder how tough stuff can
> you grind with it, does it take smaller softer bones without choking?
> --
>
> -----
> Patrik 'Putte' Henriksson

I don't think any of the homemaker meatgrinders are going to tolerate
bones of any size well. You might want to look at this one. I have it's
granddaddy, which is a hell of a lot heftier built that the one pictured.

http://www.rivalproducts.com/support..._grinders.aspx.

I looked over an assortment of grinders recently at a Bed, Bath & Beyond.
None of them impressed me much. Of all that I saw, I'd go with the Kitchen
Aid, but like the man said, it's pricey. It does have muscle though. "MY"
Rival works very well, but mine weighs a ton and the grinder head is all
metal. It has trouble with certain kinds of connective tissue like is found
in fresh picnics. They're hell to grind unless you trim very carefully. Your
machine might do better. I hope so.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

M&M 24-07-2004 10:52 AM

Meat Grinders

Edwin Pawlowski 24-07-2004 02:14 PM

Meat Grinders

> > So anyone with experience of the K-A attachement grinder how tough stuff

can
> > you grind with it, does it take smaller softer bones without choking?
> > --

Many of us use the KA with good results. It is a home style, not commercial
grade. Most I don in a day is maybe 10 pounds for sausage. I'd not think
of putting any bones of any sort into it. Unless you are making dog food, I
don't think you want to put bones in it anyway. I sure as hell don't want to
chew on bone fragments.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski 24-07-2004 02:14 PM

Meat Grinders

Edwin Pawlowski 24-07-2004 02:14 PM

Meat Grinders

Donna Rose 24-07-2004 10:13 PM

Meat Grinders

In article >,
says...

> "Banjo" > wrote in message
> >
> > We already have a Kitchen Aid mixer, so the grinder attachment is a definite
> > option.
> >
> > Perhaps I should explain what "break the bank" means. I would guess around
> > a $100 limit.
> >
> > I saw some nice ones at Allied Kenco, but those were $350 and up. If I made
> > THAT much sausage, I would have time for little else.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Banjo

> You have two options. One of the attachment sets comes with just the grinder and
> pusher. The other adds two sausage fill tubes.
>
> We were fortunate when we bought ours that the mixer itself was on sale big time
> and the attachment set with the tubes was $25. I think the set normally goes for
> ~$50.

The Kitchen Aid grinder attachment retails for around a hundred bucks;
the sausage stuffer (which can only be used in conjunction with the
grinder) retails for around $15. It's basically just a plastic tube that
fits onto the grinder. However, it's handy if you plan on making sausage
with any degree of frequency.

They (KA) recommend that you put your meat in the freezer for 30 minutes
or so to firm it up before grinding.

--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

Donna Rose 24-07-2004 10:13 PM

Meat Grinders

In article >,
says...

ToLo 07-08-2004 04:12 PM

Meat Grinders

Tyler Hopper said on 7/22/2004 10:44 AM:

> "Banjo" > wrote in message
>

>>Vidor? <grin>
>>
>>I move to Houston in '81. Spent most of my previous years in Florida or
>>N.J.

> Very close. It was in Groves. We had relatives in Vidor though.

Couple of years ago, we were going to Anniston, Al, think in April, to
visit some of my wife's kin and decided to pick up some Q to show them
what real barbecue tasted like. Trip was spur of the moment so didn't
have time to do some of my own.

There is a guy who sells it from a trailer "the Brisket Wagon" on the
side of the road at the I10 exit in Winnie, TX. He competes a lot and
does pretty good. Great stuff. You go there and you takes your chances,
when it is gone, it is gone.

Well, he wasn't there.. Probably at a cook-off.

We drove on for a while and saw signs for a barbecue festival in Vidor
so stopped to see what they had. Lots of stands and a pretty decent
crowd. Some great brisket, sausage, ribs, and some of the best smoked
boudin I've ever tasted! Bought a couple of briskets, sausage, and a
supply of the boudin. Had to talk them into it since they were getting
$4 a sandwich and had no shortage of customers. Great guys. Didn't try
to be unreasonable and made me a real fair price.

The kin in Alabama were suitably impressed and loved it.

I did NOT share the Boudin.......

ToLo 07-08-2004 04:12 PM

Meat Grinders