Splenda for Pickles?

Old 13-01-2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Default Splenda for Pickles?

Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
Old 13-01-2006, 06:17 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?

TIA

I would guess that that is a matter of taste not safety. The vinegar
provides the safety aspect.
Ellen
Old 13-01-2006, 06:29 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

On Thu 12 Jan 2006 10:17:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ellen
wickberg?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
methods?

TIA

I would guess that that is a matter of taste not safety. The vinegar
provides the safety aspect.
Ellen

Thanks, Ellen. That's what I suspected, but wanted some confirmation. I
would rather use sugar, but I need to eliminate it for diabetic reasons.
Splenda tastes sweeter to me than the same amount of sugar, and I will
adjust that quantity to taste.

Old 13-01-2006, 07:46 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?

TIA

I tried this once and the results were a bit cloudy. It wasn't
too a big problem, I just didn't give any away as gifts. Good
luck with it.

Old 13-01-2006, 07:53 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?

www.splenda.com and you might want to ask them...

B/
Old 13-01-2006, 08:52 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

On Thu 12 Jan 2006 11:46:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Reg?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
methods?

TIA

I tried this once and the results were a bit cloudy. It wasn't
too a big problem, I just didn't give any away as gifts. Good
luck with it.

Thanks, I could live with the cloudiness.

Old 13-01-2006, 08:52 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

On Thu 12 Jan 2006 11:53:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Brian
Mailman?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
methods?

www.splenda.com and you might want to ask them...

B/

I'll check it out. Thanks, Brian.

Old 13-01-2006, 09:09 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?
TIA
Wayne Boatwright **

I've made a lot of pickles with Splenda, especially B&B. I don't use it measure
for measure, usually only 1/2 or 3/4 of measure. And do decrease the salt by
half. I'd add the Splenda to taste, then salt. That balance needs to be there to
be right. Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has kicked in. Glad all the
ironing's done, any mistakes there could be dangerous in this condition. Good
luck and let us know how you go on.
Edrena

Old 13-01-2006, 09:17 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

On Fri 13 Jan 2006 01:09:23a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
Joneses?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
methods? TIA
Wayne Boatwright **

I've made a lot of pickles with Splenda, especially B&B. I don't use it
measure for measure, usually only 1/2 or 3/4 of measure. And do decrease
the salt by half. I'd add the Splenda to taste, then salt. That balance
needs to be there to be right. Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has
kicked in. Glad all the ironing's done, any mistakes there could be
dangerous in this condition. Good luck and let us know how you go on.
Edrena

Thanks, Edrena. That's good to know about the Splenda/salt taste balance.
I will follow that when I make them. I knew I would use less Splenda than
sugar. Splenda tastes very sweet to me.

Old 13-01-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
methods?

www.splenda.com and you might want to ask them...

I'll check it out. Thanks, Brian.

They'll probably say it's OK, since the selling point of sucralose is
that it's heat-stable. There's problems with baking (dry, crumbly
product), but this is a wet process. But they can advise you as to
proportions.

B/
Old 13-01-2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

The Joneses wrote:

... Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has kicked in. Glad all the
ironing's done, any mistakes there could be dangerous in this condition.

Not to mention it's a bad idea to pickle when pickled.

B/, a Maker's Mark guy himself (scotch tastes like INK)
Old 13-01-2006, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Brian Mailman wrote:
The Joneses wrote:

... Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has kicked in. Glad all the
ironing's done, any mistakes there could be dangerous in this condition.

Not to mention it's a bad idea to pickle when pickled.

B/, a Maker's Mark guy himself (scotch tastes like INK)

Personally I always preferred George Dickel, 12 year old. Ain't nothing
like sour mash with a splash of branch water. Haven't had a drink since
1976 but I can still remember the taste. Ahh, yout. And that's
deliberate, a salute to Joe Pesci and "My Cousin Vinnie."

George

Old 14-01-2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

George Shirley wrote:

Brian Mailman wrote:
The Joneses wrote:

... Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has kicked in. Glad all the
ironing's done, any mistakes there could be dangerous in this condition.

Not to mention it's a bad idea to pickle when pickled.

B/, a Maker's Mark guy himself (scotch tastes like INK)

Personally I always preferred George Dickel, 12 year old. Ain't nothing
like sour mash with a splash of branch water. Haven't had a drink since
1976 but I can still remember the taste. Ahh, yout. And that's
deliberate, a salute to Joe Pesci and "My Cousin Vinnie."

George

I liked that movie, the gal pal was a hoot. I don't drink so much - just a
little for my health's sake Made a sweet whiskey sauce with butter & cream
for the bread pudding this week - wish I hadn't. It's okay, just not fab. OB
Preserving - that sweet sirup oughta last forever in the fridge. Probably don't
even need to chill it!
Had my flirt with the demon in the service and it runs in the family. We're
pretty careful. Glad to hear you're doing better George.
Edrena

Old 14-01-2006, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

The Joneses wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Brian Mailman wrote:

The Joneses wrote:

[...]

Me too, two sodden brothers-in-law, two first cousins, a sister. The
first four are dead from alcohol, the sister is just pitiful. Never
drank much but when I did overdo, whooee. Never had a hangover, whuskey
can't give you a hangover when you throw up for a couple of hours. Gave
up overdoing alcohol when I got out of the Navy at 21 and never was much
of a social drinker although I made lots of wine in my lifetime. VBG

I do miss the occasional drink of Dickel that I used to have and could
probably get by with one once in awhile but, like cigarettes, I had
better not. I know very well that if I ever smoke one cigarette again I
will be up to 5 packs a day within a week. I was hooked on those things
for 40 years.

I didn't think you were a drunk Edrena, you wouldn't be able to type if
you were. BSEG Just kidding of course.
I prefer a rum sauce with my bread pudding. A local guy makes a bread
pudding to die for out of day old French bread but won't divulge the
recipe. I got one from another friend and I may try making it with
Splenda this weekend. That's after I get done blanching and freezing a
giant head of cauliflower the wife picked and do the same with the
second crop of broccoli, vac pack the canadian bacon and the huge hunk
of cheese I bought at Sam's Club the other day. And then I want to go
check the used meat bin at Kroger's as I'm low on pork and beef. A house
husband's work is never done.

And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
doing much better thank you.

George

Old 14-01-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Default French Bread pudding was: Splenda for Pickles?

George Shirley wrote:

[...]

A google on french bread pudding turned up lots of interesting recipes. Mine had a
cut up loaf of bread soaked in a quart milk, cup of sugar, half cup raisins & 2
tablespoons vanilla. I rather like a new very soft french bread. I made this last one
with a quart of vitamite milk (soy milk) and it was very good. I wonder if this sort
of custard clone would freeze worth a hoot? I can't eat much at all because of the
fat & carbs, but I'd kinda like to make enuf for him to enjoy once in a while. Maybe
make only half and use the brotchen/bolillo rolls from the bakery.
Edrena