Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

Default French Bread pudding was: Splenda for Pickles?

George Shirley wrote:

> > ... Made a sweet whiskey sauce with butter & cream
> > for the bread pudding this week - wish I hadn't. It's okay, just not fab. OB
> > Preserving - that sweet sirup oughta last forever in the fridge. Probably don't
> > even need to chill it! ...
> > Edrena
> >

> I prefer a rum sauce with my bread pudding. A local guy makes a bread
> pudding to die for out of day old French bread but won't divulge the
> recipe. I got one from another friend and I may try making it with
> Splenda this weekend. That's after I get done blanching and freezing a
> giant head of cauliflower the wife picked and do the same with the
> second crop of broccoli, vac pack the canadian bacon and the huge hunk
> of cheese I bought at Sam's Club the other day. And then I want to go
> check the used meat bin at Kroger's as I'm low on pork and beef. A house
> husband's work is never done.
>
> And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
> can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
> I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
> away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
> yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
> doing much better thank you.
>
> George

A google on french bread pudding turned up lots of interesting recipes. Mine had a
cut up loaf of bread soaked in a quart milk, cup of sugar, half cup raisins & 2
tablespoons vanilla. I rather like a new very soft french bread. I made this last one
with a quart of vitamite milk (soy milk) and it was very good. I wonder if this sort
of custard clone would freeze worth a hoot? I can't eat much at all because of the
fat & carbs, but I'd kinda like to make enuf for him to enjoy once in a while. Maybe
make only half and use the brotchen/bolillo rolls from the bakery.
Edrena