bill

Default splenda

I found out I was a diabetic 5 years ago. ... lately I've been lurking here
and this is a fine, helpful group.

I don't see much discussion about using splenda

I'd sure like to see some feedback about it

Bill

Tiger Lily

i have been using splenda for about 10 years since it first made it's
entrance to the Canadian market

it was only recently (last few years) approved for use in the USA

i LOVE splenda and look forward to more diet soft drinks using it over
aspartame

i use aspartame (Equal) as well......... however splenda is my preferred
choice of 'flavours'

hubby goes to the UK annually......... i have him bring back 10 packages of
300 splenda tablets each to get me thru the year until his next trip to the
UK............ the tablets aren't available here......... go to the splenda
web page and leave them a comment that you would like it in tablet
format........ they told me there 'isn't enough demand for it' that
way........ yeah right!!!
lol

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"bill" > wrote in message
> I found out I was a diabetic 5 years ago. ... lately I've been lurking

here
> and this is a fine, helpful group.
>
> I don't see much discussion about using splenda
>
> I'd sure like to see some feedback about it
>
> Bill

Susan

x-no-archive: yes

bill wrote:
> I found out I was a diabetic 5 years ago. ... lately I've been lurking here
> and this is a fine, helpful group.
>
> I don't see much discussion about using splenda
>
> I'd sure like to see some feedback about it
>
> Bill

I avoid it. I get a yucky mouthfeel and aftertaste from it, and I
prefer to avoid artificial sweeteners and junk food and drinks in general.

In it's bulk form, for baking, it's bulked with extremely high glycemic
maltodextrin, another product I avoid like the plague.

On the rare occcasions that I bake sweets, I used xylitol, which acts
and tastes just like sugar.

Susan
bill

Lots of arguments about splenda. I've seen articles for and against Splenda
some valid and some pure rubbish. One even asked people to vote on the
safety of splenda so I'm really not sure about the use of splenda yet.
Cconsequently I'll be doing some research. Try
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/fr980403.html/

The FDA said the EDI should be 98 mg per day as a safe level. Also 1.6 mg
per kilo of weight. So moderation is .......the word I guess.

I'm sorry, Susan, that you can't handle the taste of Splenda. I really don't
mind the taste at all and the texture isn't bothersome.

Bill

"Susan" > wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>

> bill wrote:
>> I found out I was a diabetic 5 years ago. ... lately I've been lurking
>> here and this is a fine, helpful group.
>>
>> I don't see much discussion about using splenda
>>
>> I'd sure like to see some feedback about it
>>
>> Bill

> I avoid it. I get a yucky mouthfeel and aftertaste from it, and I prefer
> to avoid artificial sweeteners and junk food and drinks in general.
>
> In it's bulk form, for baking, it's bulked with extremely high glycemic
> maltodextrin, another product I avoid like the plague.
>
> On the rare occcasions that I bake sweets, I used xylitol, which acts and
> tastes just like sugar.
>
> Susan

Alan S

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:22:25 -0500, "bill" > wrote:

|I found out I was a diabetic 5 years ago. ... lately I've been lurking here
|and this is a fine, helpful group.
|
|I don't see much discussion about using splenda
|
|I'd sure like to see some feedback about it
|
|Bill

Hi Bill

No real need to discuss it. It's another sweetener that you can use
quite safely, and has the added advantage of being suitable to use in
cooking.

As to taste - try them all and make your own choices. It's a matter of
taste:-) If you like seafood, google back to my recipe posted here for
"chili crab" using Splenda. I might post it again.

Unfortunately you'll find the various diabetes newsgroups "patrolled"
by anti-artificial-sweetener kooks who instantly rave on about their
"chemical" dangers; even worse can be the
anti-anti-artificial-sweetener net police who then start a raging
battle back and forth about the supposed merits and dangers of
splenda-cyclamates-aspartame-saccharine-stevia-etc-etc-etc.

Ignore them all from both sides. You can even use sugar if you're
careful about the quantity in the recipe and the portion size you eat,
but I usually choose to use splenda in cooking and aspartame in my
soft drinks. I can even get Stevia on the shelf in my health food
store in Oz, but it's very expensive so I see no point in trying it.

If you are interested in reading some more active groups, come on over
to misc.health.diabetes or the somewhat more rambunctious crowd at
alt.support.diabetes.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

None Given

"bill" > wrote in message

> I'm sorry, Susan, that you can't handle the taste of Splenda. I really

don't
> mind the taste at all and the texture isn't bothersome.

If it tastes bad I use less the next time, most recipes have too much sugar
to start with. I have made my Cole Slaw dressing using 3/4 of the amount
of Splenda as I used to use sugar, I also tried using a little powdered
milk with it, I can't tell that it made any difference. Also I have heard
that it helps to mix sweeteners instead of relying on just one but I haven't
tried that yet, besides the time with the milk.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

bill

Well I'm happy my wife bought some and happy it's safe to eat
Bill

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:22:25 -0500, "bill" > wrote:
>
> |I found out I was a diabetic 5 years ago. ... lately I've been lurking
> here
> |and this is a fine, helpful group.
> |
> |I don't see much discussion about using splenda
> |
> |I'd sure like to see some feedback about it
> |
> |Bill
> |

> Hi Bill
>
> No real need to discuss it. It's another sweetener that you can use
> quite safely, and has the added advantage of being suitable to use in
> cooking.
>
> As to taste - try them all and make your own choices. It's a matter of
> taste:-) If you like seafood, google back to my recipe posted here for
> "chili crab" using Splenda. I might post it again.
>
> Unfortunately you'll find the various diabetes newsgroups "patrolled"
> by anti-artificial-sweetener kooks who instantly rave on about their
> "chemical" dangers; even worse can be the
> anti-anti-artificial-sweetener net police who then start a raging
> battle back and forth about the supposed merits and dangers of
> splenda-cyclamates-aspartame-saccharine-stevia-etc-etc-etc.
>
> Ignore them all from both sides. You can even use sugar if you're
> careful about the quantity in the recipe and the portion size you eat,
> but I usually choose to use splenda in cooking and aspartame in my
> soft drinks. I can even get Stevia on the shelf in my health food
> store in Oz, but it's very expensive so I see no point in trying it.
>
> If you are interested in reading some more active groups, come on over
> to misc.health.diabetes or the somewhat more rambunctious crowd at
> alt.support.diabetes.
>

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Susan

x-no-archive: yes

bill wrote:

> Lots of arguments about splenda. I've seen articles for and against Splenda
> some valid and some pure rubbish. One even asked people to vote on the
> safety of splenda so I'm really not sure about the use of splenda yet.
> Cconsequently I'll be doing some research. Try
> http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/fr980403.html/

I'm not on any side in any argument about Splenda, sorry to disappoint
you. I just prefer to avoid stuff that's a fake version of other stuff,
particularly if it tastes gross to me.

> The FDA said the EDI should be 98 mg per day as a safe level. Also 1.6 mg
> per kilo of weight. So moderation is .......the word I guess.

As with everything else, some folks can handle it, some folks have a bg
or insulin response stimulated by artificial sweeteners. Each person
has to figure out which things are positives for them, and which are
negatives. Maltodextrin is always going to be in the "no thanks" column
for me.

> I'm sorry, Susan, that you can't handle the taste of Splenda. I really don't
> mind the taste at all and the texture isn't bothersome.
>
> Bill

The ability to taste the icky aftertaste of AS is inherited. If it
tastes good to you and having sweet things is important to you, then I
guess you should go ahead and use it if the high GL maltodextrin doesn't
hurt your bg control.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your earlier post; I thought you were
asking for input from other folks.

Susan
Ted Rosenberg

don't listen to Betty's kooks and trolls who publish lies about the
stuff and other artificial sweeteners

AND, whatever you do, stuck to the real artificial sweeteners, and be
careful with xylitol and any of the sugar alcohols. Some people
metabolize them just like any sugar, and many of those who don't, don't
metabolize them AT ALL, which is fine for BG, but not so good when it
reaches your colon. Some people can pass them without discomfort.

--
"...in addition to being foreign territory the past is, as history, a
hall of mirrors that reflect the needs of souls observing from the present"
Susan

x-no-archive: yes

bill wrote:
> Well I'm happy my wife bought some and happy it's safe to eat
> Bill

The fact that it's for sale doesn't mean it's been proven safe to eat;
nor has it been proven unsafe.

This is really just about personal choices, and no amount of discussion
on usenet is going to change the choices each of us makes about
artificial sweeteners.

Susan

Susan

x-no-archive: yes

bill wrote:
> Well I'm happy my wife bought some and happy it's safe to eat
> Bill

The fact that it's for sale doesn't mean it's been proven safe to eat;
nor has it been proven unsafe.

This is really just about personal choices, and no amount of discussion
on usenet is going to change the choices each of us makes about
artificial sweeteners.

Susan
Alan S

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:14:14 -0500, Susan >
wrote:

|x-no-archive: yes
|

|bill wrote:
|> Well I'm happy my wife bought some and happy it's safe to eat
|> Bill
|
|The fact that it's for sale doesn't mean it's been proven safe to eat;
|nor has it been proven unsafe.
|
|This is really just about personal choices, and no amount of discussion
|on usenet is going to change the choices each of us makes about
|artificial sweeteners.
|
|Susan

Darned if I can see that Bill made either of those statements, so
refutation seems a little unnecessary.

Until someone proves that it's unsafe to eat, or even comes close to
proving it, I'll eat something that's a damn sight safer to eat (in
moderation) for a diabetic than pure, natural, sugar.

No amount of hysterical fear-mongering by the
anti-unnatural-substances kooks will change my mind on that.

There are NO foods (natural, organic or otherwise) on the supermarket
shelf that are proven totally safe to eat by all people under all
circumstances. You name a food and I'll find a study somewhere by
someone that shows they fed ten pounds of it to a starving albino rat
which immediately ate it's own tail and choked to death on the next
bits.

But I can absolutely guarantee that splenda (also insert saccharine,
cyclamates, aspartame, stevia whatever) will do me less harm than
sugar in my present diet and way of eating.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Alan S

wrote:

|x-no-archive: yes
|

|bill wrote:
|> Well I'm happy my wife bought some and happy it's safe to eat
|> Bill
|
|The fact that it's for sale doesn't mean it's been proven safe to eat;
|nor has it been proven unsafe.
|
|This is really just about personal choices, and no amount of discussion
|on usenet is going to change the choices each of us makes about
|artificial sweeteners.
|
|Susan

Darned if I can see that Bill made either of those statements, so
refutation seems a little unnecessary.

Until someone proves that it's unsafe to eat, or even comes close to
proving it, I'll eat something that's a damn sight safer to eat (in
moderation) for a diabetic than pure, natural, sugar.

No amount of hysterical fear-mongering by the
anti-unnatural-substances kooks will change my mind on that.

There are NO foods (natural, organic or otherwise) on the supermarket
shelf that are proven totally safe to eat by all people under all
circumstances. You name a food and I'll find a study somewhere by
someone that shows they fed ten pounds of it to a starving albino rat
which immediately ate it's own tail and choked to death on the next
bits.

But I can absolutely guarantee that splenda (also insert saccharine,
cyclamates, aspartame, stevia whatever) will do me less harm than
sugar in my present diet and way of eating.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Sherry

Susan > wrote in
:

<snip>

> In it's bulk form, for baking, it's bulked with extremely high
> glycemic maltodextrin, another product I avoid like the plague.
>
> Susan

I have a 2:1 splenda/cinnamon mix on my toast just about every morning
with breakfast and my blood sugars are always about 125. (High fiber,
low-carb bread - less than 15 grams per slice with 4 grams fiber)

Breakfast is my "cinnamon toast" and two eggs, sometimes with a bit of
bacon, hash or Spam.

Sherry
Sherry

Susan > wrote in
:

<snip>

> In it's bulk form, for baking, it's bulked with extremely high
> glycemic maltodextrin, another product I avoid like the plague.
>
> Susan

I have a 2:1 splenda/cinnamon mix on my toast just about every morning
with breakfast and my blood sugars are always about 125. (High fiber,
low-carb bread - less than 15 grams per slice with 4 grams fiber)

Breakfast is my "cinnamon toast" and two eggs, sometimes with a bit of
bacon, hash or Spam.

Sherry

serene

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:22:25 -0800, bill wrote
(in article >):

> I found out I was a diabetic 5 years ago. ... lately I've been lurking here
> and this is a fine, helpful group.
>
> I don't see much discussion about using splenda
>
> I'd sure like to see some feedback about it

My partner (who has Type II diabetes) uses it once in a while, but
mostly we just avoid eating many sweets. Also, my partner's diabetes
is well controlled, so sometimes he just eats sugar.

I hate artificial sweeteners, but Splenda is the first one I've ever
found to be the least bit palatable. I plan to try baking with it.

serene

Alan S

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:34:02 -0800, serene >
wrote:

x-posts added by Al

|Also, my partner's diabetes
|is well controlled, so sometimes he just eats sugar

You picked a tough forum to say that in.

Define "well controlled" in terms of HbA1c, blood pressure, FBG,
Post-prandial BGs, triglycerides, LDL, HDL, and BMI. (And sometimes I
just eat sugar:-)

PS

My personal lay non-medically qualified definitions? I'm glad you
asked.

Well controlled includes all of the following:

HbA1c <6%
BP generally, at rest, 125/75 or better.
PPs 1 hr <7 mmol/L or <125 mg/dl
PPs 2 hr <6 mmol/L or <110 mg/dl
FBG <6 mmol/L or <110 mg/dl
TGs <1 mmol/L or <90 mg/dl
LDL <2.5 mmol/L or <100 mg/dl
HDL >1.3 mmol/L or >50 mg/dl
Trigs/HDL <1.3 or <3
BMI <25

Tough standards? Tougher than the doc sets? Yes.
Hard to maintain? You bet. Do I meet them all the time? No,
particularly FBG, LDL and BMI.

My BMI is >25 and my LDL can only stay under 2.5 with statins, so I'm
not well controlled, just reasonably controlled:-)

Why am I so tough on myself?

Because I intend to live long enough without complications to die from
something completely different. Preferably in my sleep.

Do you still think he is well-controlled? I hope your answer is yes.
If it is, ask him to come here to teach us.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Nicky

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> There are NO foods (natural, organic or otherwise) on the supermarket
> shelf that are proven totally safe to eat by all people under all
> circumstances.

Many moons ago when I was at college, there was a long corridor with about 4
laboratories off it - a seriously long corridor. It was lined all down one
side with small-type lists of carcinogenic foods. We never found a food that
wasn't on that list.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/78/72Kg
1g Metformin, 87.5ug Thyroxine

Hello Alan,
I am a diabetologist from Chennai, India. I am new to this forum, just
joined today after my invite to gmail arrived. Wish i had many
patients like you, here the scenario is entirely different. To educate
my fellow people is so tough, because DM doesn't do any harm
immediately. Only in the long run it's horrible effects come out and
then it's too late for any thing to be done.
Regards
Doc

Alan S

On 27 Feb 2005 02:10:48 -0800, "
> wrote:

|Hello Alan,
|I am a diabetologist from Chennai, India. I am new to this forum, just
|joined today after my invite to gmail arrived. Wish i had many
|patients like you, here the scenario is entirely different. To educate
|my fellow people is so tough, because DM doesn't do any harm
|immediately. Only in the long run it's horrible effects come out and
|then it's too late for any thing to be done.
|Regards
|Doc

Hi Doc

If you are what you say you are (excuse me, but I've become crabby and
cynical in my old age) then I'd strongly suggest that you do two
things before posting too much on any of the three ngs listed above.

1. Read http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm for a
different view of Type 2 dietary and testing methods; and

2. Lurk for a couple of days to get a feel for the knowledge of the
groups.

Of course, you will do whatever you want, just some friendly advice.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Hello Alan,
Thanks for your kind advice. Don't describe you as crabby and cynical,
you people are a fount of experience. Where would we get it except
from people like you? You sound like my dear father, who would always
say look before you leap. Recently lost him to CA prostate. Miss him
a lot. As you said I will put on my invisible jacket for a few days.
Regards
Doc

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Nicky" > wrote:

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
> > There are NO foods (natural, organic or otherwise) on the supermarket
> > shelf that are proven totally safe to eat by all people under all
> > circumstances.

> Many moons ago when I was at college, there was a long corridor with about 4
> laboratories off it - a seriously long corridor. It was lined all down one
> side with small-type lists of carcinogenic foods. We never found a food that
> wasn't on that list.

I can recall my mother saying, "If you eat enough *spinach* even that'll
kill you!"

Heck, brown that chop, and it's got carcinogens.

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
bill

I love Spam fried with Frank's Hot Sauce on it
but I dont care for internet spam tho!

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> Susan > wrote in
> :
>
> <snip>
>>
>> In it's bulk form, for baking, it's bulked with extremely high
>> glycemic maltodextrin, another product I avoid like the plague.
>>
>> Susan

> I have a 2:1 splenda/cinnamon mix on my toast just about every morning
> with breakfast and my blood sugars are always about 125. (High fiber,
> low-carb bread - less than 15 grams per slice with 4 grams fiber)
>
> Breakfast is my "cinnamon toast" and two eggs, sometimes with a bit of
> bacon, hash or Spam.
>
> Sherry

Susan

x-no-archive: yes

Alan S wrote:

> Darned if I can see that Bill made either of those statements, so
> refutation seems a little unnecessary.

Sometimes I get "crabby and cynical" and see commercial interests
appearing in targeted newsgroups to push products like statins or
sweeteners.

Sometimes I just get concerned that folks may be too focused on finding
fake forms of all the same stuff we used to eat on our way to diabetes
(with the complicity of their DEs), rather than regrouping and
substituting better whole food choices.

Sometimes, I just share my own, often differing, experiences via anecdote.

Mostly, it's a combination of those.

> Until someone proves that it's unsafe to eat, or even comes close to
> proving it, I'll eat something that's a damn sight safer to eat (in
> moderation) for a diabetic than pure, natural, sugar.
>
> No amount of hysterical fear-mongering by the
> anti-unnatural-substances kooks will change my mind on that.

I hope you've noticed that I've taken no anti Splenda stance, though my
tastebuds have. ;-) It's my choice, and I'm completely comfortable
with others making a different choice.

I don't crave sweets, generally, so that helps me avoid AS. If I want a
treat, I have small bits of very dark chocolate with natural sugar.
There's so little in it that it doesn't bump my bg. Baking with xylitol
is much more satisfactory for me, and my family and I get no gastric
effects from it, though I can't say the same of all the sugar alchohols.

> There are NO foods (natural, organic or otherwise) on the supermarket
> shelf that are proven totally safe to eat by all people under all
> circumstances. You name a food and I'll find a study somewhere by
> someone that shows they fed ten pounds of it to a starving albino rat
> which immediately ate it's own tail and choked to death on the next
> bits.

Again, Alan, I haven't argued here that Splenda is unsafe. I did take
issue with an absolute statement as fact that it *is* safe. Sometimes
it takes many
years on the marketplace for ill effects of drugs and other chemicals,
if any, to show up.

> But I can absolutely guarantee that splenda (also insert saccharine,
> cyclamates, aspartame, stevia whatever) will do me less harm than
> sugar in my present diet and way of eating.

I'll be glad to take your word for it.

Your body, your science experiment. :-)

Susan
Susan

x-no-archive: yes

Alan S wrote:

> Darned if I can see that Bill made either of those statements, so
> refutation seems a little unnecessary.

Sometimes I get "crabby and cynical" and see commercial interests
appearing in targeted newsgroups to push products like statins or
sweeteners.

Sometimes I just get concerned that folks may be too focused on finding
fake forms of all the same stuff we used to eat on our way to diabetes
(with the complicity of their DEs), rather than regrouping and
substituting better whole food choices.

Sometimes, I just share my own, often differing, experiences via anecdote.

Mostly, it's a combination of those.

> Until someone proves that it's unsafe to eat, or even comes close to
> proving it, I'll eat something that's a damn sight safer to eat (in
> moderation) for a diabetic than pure, natural, sugar.
>
> No amount of hysterical fear-mongering by the
> anti-unnatural-substances kooks will change my mind on that.

I hope you've noticed that I've taken no anti Splenda stance, though my
tastebuds have. ;-) It's my choice, and I'm completely comfortable
with others making a different choice.

I don't crave sweets, generally, so that helps me avoid AS. If I want a
treat, I have small bits of very dark chocolate with natural sugar.
There's so little in it that it doesn't bump my bg. Baking with xylitol
is much more satisfactory for me, and my family and I get no gastric
effects from it, though I can't say the same of all the sugar alchohols.

> There are NO foods (natural, organic or otherwise) on the supermarket
> shelf that are proven totally safe to eat by all people under all
> circumstances. You name a food and I'll find a study somewhere by
> someone that shows they fed ten pounds of it to a starving albino rat
> which immediately ate it's own tail and choked to death on the next
> bits.

Again, Alan, I haven't argued here that Splenda is unsafe. I did take
issue with an absolute statement as fact that it *is* safe. Sometimes
it takes many
years on the marketplace for ill effects of drugs and other chemicals,
if any, to show up.

> But I can absolutely guarantee that splenda (also insert saccharine,
> cyclamates, aspartame, stevia whatever) will do me less harm than
> sugar in my present diet and way of eating.

I'll be glad to take your word for it.

Your body, your science experiment. :-)

Susan

serene

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:58:15 -0800, Alan S wrote
(in article >):

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:34:02 -0800, serene > wrote:
>
> x-posts added by Al
>
>> Also, my partner's diabetes
>> is well controlled, so sometimes he just eats sugar

> You picked a tough forum to say that in.

*grin*

> Define "well controlled" in terms of HbA1c, blood pressure, FBG,
> Post-prandial BGs, triglycerides, LDL, HDL, and BMI. (And sometimes I just
> eat sugar:-)

His sugars hover around 90-100 -- usually in the 80s upon waking, as
high as 120s-130s an hour after eating. His HbA1c was 5ish last time
it was checked, I believe, and his blood pressure is normal.
Cholesterol and everything else in the blood test was pronounced
"within normal range". His doctor thinks he's too fat, but a little
bit of sugar with a decent amount of protein doesn't seem to make his
sugars spike or make him feel ooky, so he goes for it from time to
time. That's the way life is around here; we pick our battles. We
walk miles every day, he takes his meds, we're mostly vegetarian, and
we eat a variety of wholesome foods every day. A little sugar once
in a while just doesn't strike us as unreasonable in our situation.

serene, non-diabetic who is getting much much healthier since hooking
up with a conscientious diabetic

serene

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:58:15 -0800, Alan S wrote
(in article >):

> Because I intend to live long enough without complications to die from
> something completely different. Preferably in my sleep.

We intend to die in a bizarre sex-related accident. ;-)

serene

Ted Rosenberg

Yes Susan - I can't see how ANY of us can complain about "I don't LIKE
it", which is a purely subjective opinion.

I would be careful about recommending sugar alcohols tho, THEY can cause
real problems for many people.

--
"...in addition to being foreign territory the past is, as history, a
hall of mirrors that reflect the needs of souls observing from the present"
Glen Cook
Ted Rosenberg

--
"...in addition to being foreign territory the past is, as history, a
hall of mirrors that reflect the needs of souls observing from the present"
Glen Cook
Priscilla Ballou

In article et>,
serene > wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:58:15 -0800, Alan S wrote
> (in article >):
>
> > Because I intend to live long enough without complications to die from
> > something completely different. Preferably in my sleep.

> We intend to die in a bizarre sex-related accident. ;-)

We all need goals in life.

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we
deserve some mention. Sodom always gets the credit, and Gomorrah always
does the work." - JohnN in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Alan S

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:30:22 -0500, Susan >
wrote:

|Sometimes I get "crabby and cynical"

So do I. Point taken.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Alan S

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:25:56 -0800, serene >
wrote:

|On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:58:15 -0800, Alan S wrote
|(in article >):
|
|> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:34:02 -0800, serene > wrote:
|>
|> x-posts added by Al
|>
|>> Also, my partner's diabetes
|>> is well controlled, so sometimes he just eats sugar
|>
|> You picked a tough forum to say that in.
|
|*grin*
|

|> Define "well controlled" in terms of HbA1c, blood pressure, FBG,
|> Post-prandial BGs, triglycerides, LDL, HDL, and BMI. (And sometimes I just
|> eat sugar:-)
|
|His sugars hover around 90-100 -- usually in the 80s upon waking, as
|high as 120s-130s an hour after eating. His HbA1c was 5ish last time
|it was checked, I believe, and his blood pressure is normal.
|Cholesterol and everything else in the blood test was pronounced
|"within normal range". His doctor thinks he's too fat, but a little
|bit of sugar with a decent amount of protein doesn't seem to make his
|sugars spike or make him feel ooky, so he goes for it from time to
|time. That's the way life is around here; we pick our battles. We
|walk miles every day, he takes his meds, we're mostly vegetarian, and
|we eat a variety of wholesome foods every day. A little sugar once
|in a while just doesn't strike us as unreasonable in our situation.
|
|serene, non-diabetic who is getting much much healthier since hooking
|up with a conscientious diabetic

Good news, and I'm very pleased to hear it.

Unfortunately "well controlled" is a phrase often used by newbies
appearing here - and sometimes by their medics - without support.
Hence my knee-jerk response:-)

For an alternative view, read this thread on a different ng:
http://tinyurl.com/3u7ml

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Alan S

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:26:49 -0800, serene >
wrote:

|On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:58:15 -0800, Alan S wrote
|(in article >):
|
|> Because I intend to live long enough without complications to die from
|> something completely different. Preferably in my sleep.
|
|We intend to die in a bizarre sex-related accident. ;-)
|
|serene

Oops - I mislaid the address and phone number. You'll need to re-send.

Cheers, Alan

Alan S

wrote:

|On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:58:15 -0800, Alan S wrote
|(in article >):
|
|> Because I intend to live long enough without complications to die from
|> something completely different. Preferably in my sleep.
|
|We intend to die in a bizarre sex-related accident. ;-)
|
|serene

Oops - I mislaid the address and phone number. You'll need to re-send.

Cheers, Alan

JC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:58:15 +1100, Alan S >
wrote:

> Because I intend to live long enough without complications to die from
> something completely different. Preferably in my sleep.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather - not yelling and
screaming like his passengers as he drove over the edge of the cliff.

--

Cheers . . . JC

serene

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:15:16 -0800, Alan S wrote
(in article >):

> Unfortunately "well controlled" is a phrase often used by newbies appearing
> here - and sometimes by their medics - without support. Hence my knee-jerk
> response:-)

Oh, I appreciate it. For years, I have counted on Usenet folks to
call me on my shit and to have info I didn't have before. Thank you.
serene

serene

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:15:16 -0800, Alan S wrote
(in article >):

> Unfortunately "well controlled" is a phrase often used by newbies appearing
> here - and sometimes by their medics - without support. Hence my knee-jerk
> response:-)

Oh, I appreciate it. For years, I have counted on Usenet folks to
call me on my shit and to have info I didn't have before. Thank you.
serene

serene

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:18:35 -0800, Alan S wrote
(in article >):

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:26:49 -0800, serene >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:58:15 -0800, Alan S wrote
>> (in article >):
>>
>>> Because I intend to live long enough without complications to die from
>>> something completely different. Preferably in my sleep.

>> We intend to die in a bizarre sex-related accident. ;-)
>>
>> serene

> Oops - I mislaid the address and phone number. You'll need to re-send.

*grin* Three seems to be the load limit on our king-sized bed, but
I'll move your name to the top of the list. ;-)

serene

serene

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:18:35 -0800, Alan S wrote
(in article >):

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:26:49 -0800, serene >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:58:15 -0800, Alan S wrote
>> (in article >):
>>
>>> Because I intend to live long enough without complications to die from
>>> something completely different. Preferably in my sleep.

>> We intend to die in a bizarre sex-related accident. ;-)
>>
>> serene

> Oops - I mislaid the address and phone number. You'll need to re-send.

*grin* Three seems to be the load limit on our king-sized bed, but
I'll move your name to the top of the list. ;-)

serene

None Given

"serene" > wrote in message
al.net...

> >> We intend to die in a bizarre sex-related accident. ;-)
> >>
> >> serene

> > Oops - I mislaid the address and phone number. You'll need to re-send.

> *grin* Three seems to be the load limit on our king-sized bed, but
> I'll move your name to the top of the list. ;-)

Shall I slap my hand over swmbo's eyes?

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

Splenda bfairey General Cooking 7 11-05-2007 05:25 AM
Splenda B&B? Brian Mailman Preserving 2 01-09-2006 09:16 PM
Splenda PackMule64 Diabetic 0 13-06-2006 05:57 AM
Splenda Ed Ahern Diabetic 3 25-02-2006 07:01 AM
Splenda Bill Dunn General Cooking 5 19-06-2004 10:50 PM