FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Splenda for Pickles? (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/78928-splenda-pickles.html)

Wayne Boatwright 13-01-2006 04:51 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

ellen wickberg 13-01-2006 05:17 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
> in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?
>
> TIA

I would guess that that is a matter of taste not safety. The vinegar
provides the safety aspect.
Ellen

Wayne Boatwright 13-01-2006 05:29 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

On Thu 12 Jan 2006 10:17:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ellen
wickberg?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
>> sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
>> methods?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> I would guess that that is a matter of taste not safety. The vinegar
> provides the safety aspect.
> Ellen

Thanks, Ellen. That's what I suspected, but wanted some confirmation. I
would rather use sugar, but I need to eliminate it for diabetic reasons.
Splenda tastes sweeter to me than the same amount of sugar, and I will
adjust that quantity to taste.

Reg 13-01-2006 06:46 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
> in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?
>
> TIA

I tried this once and the results were a bit cloudy. It wasn't
too a big problem, I just didn't give any away as gifts. Good
luck with it.

Brian Mailman 13-01-2006 06:53 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
> in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?

www.splenda.com and you might want to ask them...

B/

Wayne Boatwright 13-01-2006 07:52 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

On Thu 12 Jan 2006 11:46:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Reg?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
>> sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
>> methods?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> I tried this once and the results were a bit cloudy. It wasn't
> too a big problem, I just didn't give any away as gifts. Good
> luck with it.

Thanks, I could live with the cloudiness.

Wayne Boatwright 13-01-2006 07:52 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

On Thu 12 Jan 2006 11:53:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Brian
Mailman?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
>> sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
>> methods?

> www.splenda.com and you might want to ask them...
>
> B/

I'll check it out. Thanks, Brian.

The Joneses 13-01-2006 08:09 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated sugar
> in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?
> TIA
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

I've made a lot of pickles with Splenda, especially B&B. I don't use it measure
for measure, usually only 1/2 or 3/4 of measure. And do decrease the salt by
half. I'd add the Splenda to taste, then salt. That balance needs to be there to
be right. Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has kicked in. Glad all the
ironing's done, any mistakes there could be dangerous in this condition. Good
luck and let us know how you go on.
Edrena

Wayne Boatwright 13-01-2006 08:17 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

On Fri 13 Jan 2006 01:09:23a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
Joneses?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
>> sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
>> methods? TIA
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> I've made a lot of pickles with Splenda, especially B&B. I don't use it
> measure for measure, usually only 1/2 or 3/4 of measure. And do decrease
> the salt by half. I'd add the Splenda to taste, then salt. That balance
> needs to be there to be right. Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has
> kicked in. Glad all the ironing's done, any mistakes there could be
> dangerous in this condition. Good luck and let us know how you go on.
> Edrena

Thanks, Edrena. That's good to know about the Splenda/salt taste balance.
I will follow that when I make them. I knew I would use less Splenda than
sugar. Splenda tastes very sweet to me.

Brian Mailman 13-01-2006 06:25 PM

Splenda for Pickles?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 12 Jan 2006 11:53:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Brian
> Mailman?
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
>>> sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
>>> methods?

>> www.splenda.com and you might want to ask them...

> I'll check it out. Thanks, Brian.

They'll probably say it's OK, since the selling point of sucralose is
that it's heat-stable. There's problems with baking (dry, crumbly
product), but this is a wet process. But they can advise you as to
proportions.

B/

Brian Mailman 13-01-2006 06:26 PM

Splenda for Pickles?

The Joneses wrote:

> ... Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has kicked in. Glad all the
> ironing's done, any mistakes there could be dangerous in this condition.

Not to mention it's a bad idea to pickle when pickled.

B/, a Maker's Mark guy himself (scotch tastes like INK)

George Shirley 13-01-2006 08:58 PM

Splenda for Pickles?

Brian Mailman wrote:
> The Joneses wrote:
>
>> ... Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has kicked in. Glad all the
>> ironing's done, any mistakes there could be dangerous in this condition.

> Not to mention it's a bad idea to pickle when pickled.
>
> B/, a Maker's Mark guy himself (scotch tastes like INK)

Personally I always preferred George Dickel, 12 year old. Ain't nothing
like sour mash with a splash of branch water. Haven't had a drink since
1976 but I can still remember the taste. Ahh, yout. And that's
deliberate, a salute to Joe Pesci and "My Cousin Vinnie."

George

The Joneses 14-01-2006 12:27 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

George Shirley wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
> > The Joneses wrote:
> >
> >> ... Shoot, it's late and the Maker's Mark has kicked in. Glad all the
> >> ironing's done, any mistakes there could be dangerous in this condition.

> > Not to mention it's a bad idea to pickle when pickled.
> >
> > B/, a Maker's Mark guy himself (scotch tastes like INK)

> Personally I always preferred George Dickel, 12 year old. Ain't nothing
> like sour mash with a splash of branch water. Haven't had a drink since
> 1976 but I can still remember the taste. Ahh, yout. And that's
> deliberate, a salute to Joe Pesci and "My Cousin Vinnie."
>
> George

I liked that movie, the gal pal was a hoot. I don't drink so much - just a
little for my health's sake ;) Made a sweet whiskey sauce with butter & cream
for the bread pudding this week - wish I hadn't. It's okay, just not fab. OB
Preserving - that sweet sirup oughta last forever in the fridge. Probably don't
even need to chill it!
Had my flirt with the demon in the service and it runs in the family. We're
pretty careful. Glad to hear you're doing better George.
Edrena

George Shirley 14-01-2006 01:23 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

The Joneses wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>>Brian Mailman wrote:

>>>Not to mention it's a bad idea to pickle when pickled.
>>>
>>>B/, a Maker's Mark guy himself (scotch tastes like INK)

>>Personally I always preferred George Dickel, 12 year old. Ain't nothing
>>like sour mash with a splash of branch water. Haven't had a drink since
>>1976 but I can still remember the taste. Ahh, yout. And that's
>>deliberate, a salute to Joe Pesci and "My Cousin Vinnie."
>>
>>George

> I liked that movie, the gal pal was a hoot. I don't drink so much - just a
> little for my health's sake ;) Made a sweet whiskey sauce with butter & cream
> for the bread pudding this week - wish I hadn't. It's okay, just not fab. OB
> Preserving - that sweet sirup oughta last forever in the fridge. Probably don't
> even need to chill it!
> Had my flirt with the demon in the service and it runs in the family. We're
> pretty careful. Glad to hear you're doing better George.
> Edrena

Me too, two sodden brothers-in-law, two first cousins, a sister. The
first four are dead from alcohol, the sister is just pitiful. Never
drank much but when I did overdo, whooee. Never had a hangover, whuskey
can't give you a hangover when you throw up for a couple of hours. Gave
up overdoing alcohol when I got out of the Navy at 21 and never was much
of a social drinker although I made lots of wine in my lifetime. <VBG>

I do miss the occasional drink of Dickel that I used to have and could
probably get by with one once in awhile but, like cigarettes, I had
better not. I know very well that if I ever smoke one cigarette again I
will be up to 5 packs a day within a week. I was hooked on those things
for 40 years.

I didn't think you were a drunk Edrena, you wouldn't be able to type if
you were. <BSEG> Just kidding of course.
I prefer a rum sauce with my bread pudding. A local guy makes a bread
pudding to die for out of day old French bread but won't divulge the
recipe. I got one from another friend and I may try making it with
Splenda this weekend. That's after I get done blanching and freezing a
giant head of cauliflower the wife picked and do the same with the
second crop of broccoli, vac pack the canadian bacon and the huge hunk
of cheese I bought at Sam's Club the other day. And then I want to go
check the used meat bin at Kroger's as I'm low on pork and beef. A house
husband's work is never done.

And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
doing much better thank you.

George

The Joneses 14-01-2006 03:35 AM

French Bread pudding was: Splenda for Pickles?

George Shirley wrote:

> > ... Made a sweet whiskey sauce with butter & cream
> > for the bread pudding this week - wish I hadn't. It's okay, just not fab. OB
> > Preserving - that sweet sirup oughta last forever in the fridge. Probably don't
> > even need to chill it! ...
> > Edrena
> >

> I prefer a rum sauce with my bread pudding. A local guy makes a bread
> pudding to die for out of day old French bread but won't divulge the
> recipe. I got one from another friend and I may try making it with
> Splenda this weekend. That's after I get done blanching and freezing a
> giant head of cauliflower the wife picked and do the same with the
> second crop of broccoli, vac pack the canadian bacon and the huge hunk
> of cheese I bought at Sam's Club the other day. And then I want to go
> check the used meat bin at Kroger's as I'm low on pork and beef. A house
> husband's work is never done.
>
> And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
> can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
> I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
> away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
> yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
> doing much better thank you.
>
> George

A google on french bread pudding turned up lots of interesting recipes. Mine had a
cut up loaf of bread soaked in a quart milk, cup of sugar, half cup raisins & 2
tablespoons vanilla. I rather like a new very soft french bread. I made this last one
with a quart of vitamite milk (soy milk) and it was very good. I wonder if this sort
of custard clone would freeze worth a hoot? I can't eat much at all because of the
fat & carbs, but I'd kinda like to make enuf for him to enjoy once in a while. Maybe
make only half and use the brotchen/bolillo rolls from the bakery.
Edrena

Puester 14-01-2006 03:59 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

George Shirley wrote:

> And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
> can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
> I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
> away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
> yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
> doing much better thank you.

That's VERY good news, George. Keep up the progress.
Continuing good health vibes coming your way.

gloria p

Wayne Boatwright 14-01-2006 04:21 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

On Fri 13 Jan 2006 06:23:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it George
Shirley?

> And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
> can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
> I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
> away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
> yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
> doing much better thank you.
>
> George

George, that's absolutely wonderful news! Great progress! Now we all know
that you're only drooling because you're thinking of something delicious to
eat. <vbg> That bread pudding sounds mighty good! It will be many months
before I dare treat myself to something like that. David and I joined
Weight Watchers right after new years. :-(

KW 14-01-2006 04:32 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated

sugar
> in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> __________________________________________________ ________________
> And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.
>

> Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

Wayne,

Here's a link to a sweet pickle/splenda recipe on UGA's NCHFP website
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...kleslices.html

A quick review of the major differences between the brine for this and their
B&B pickle recipe shows the following:

*Recipe amounts adjusted to reflect a similar batch using 3.5 lbs of
cucumbers*

B&B Sweet
Pickles
2.61 Cups Sugar 3.5 Cups
Splenda
1/3 Cup Canning Salt 1 tbsp Canning
Salt
8 Cups Sliced Onions No Onions
1 tsp Tumeric 1 tsp Whole
Allspice
2.32 Cups Regular Vinegar 4 Cups Cider
Vinegar
4
Cinnamon Sticks
1
Cup Water

There's a tad more Splenda in the mix (comparing batches of similar size)
than there would be sugar, a lot more vinegar (albeit cider vinegar) and
significantly less salt... but it could simply be that sweet pickles are
supposed to be sweeter than B&B's. I don't know, never have put up any sweet
pickles, always hot and sour for us, so there is a really good chance that I
am rambling on about a subject to which I don't know my head from a hole in
the ground as well :-)

Keith

Wayne Boatwright 14-01-2006 04:58 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

On Fri 13 Jan 2006 09:32:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it KW?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
>> sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
>> methods?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>> __________________________________________________ ________________
>> And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.
>>

>> Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

> Wayne,
>
> Here's a link to a sweet pickle/splenda recipe on UGA's NCHFP website
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...kleslices.html
>
> A quick review of the major differences between the brine for this and
> their B&B pickle recipe shows the following:
>
> *Recipe amounts adjusted to reflect a similar batch using 3.5 lbs of
> cucumbers*
>
> B&B Sweet
> Pickles
> 2.61 Cups Sugar 3.5 Cups
> Splenda
> 1/3 Cup Canning Salt 1 tbsp
> Canning Salt
> 8 Cups Sliced Onions No Onions
> 1 tsp Tumeric 1 tsp
> Whole Allspice
> 2.32 Cups Regular Vinegar 4 Cups Cider
> Vinegar
>
> 4
> Cinnamon Sticks
>
> 1
> Cup Water
>
> There's a tad more Splenda in the mix (comparing batches of similar
> size) than there would be sugar, a lot more vinegar (albeit cider
> vinegar) and significantly less salt... but it could simply be that
> sweet pickles are supposed to be sweeter than B&B's. I don't know, never
> have put up any sweet pickles, always hot and sour for us, so there is a
> really good chance that I am rambling on about a subject to which I
> don't know my head from a hole in the ground as well :-)
>
> Keith

Thanks, Keith, for the comparison and for the link. It's interesting that
the recipe using Splenda uses more than a similar recipe using sugar. I
say that because, IMO, Spenda seems much sweeter than sugar, measure for
measure. Since the sugar doesn't really contribute to the preserving of
the cukes, I'll probably rely on a taste test to arrive at the sweet/sour
ratio. I'm wondering, and I suspect, that the considerably lower salt
content is due to the focus of these recipes for special diets. The
pickled beet recipe is similar in it's low content, and two of the other
recipes are specifically low-sodium. I also suspect that these pickles
will unusually "un-salty". It could be that they made them sweeter to
compensate for the lack of salty taste. Interesting recipes...I've copied
them.

Your "hot and sour" pickles sound interesting, and might be another good
thing for me to consider since I need to reduce or eliminate sugar. Would
you mind sharing your recipe?

TIA

The Joneses 14-01-2006 05:08 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

KW wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated

> sugar
> > in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing methods?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> > __________________________________________________ ________________
> > And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.
> >

> > Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

> Wayne,
>
> Here's a link to a sweet pickle/splenda recipe on UGA's NCHFP website
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...kleslices.html
>
> A quick review of the major differences between the brine for this and their
> B&B pickle recipe shows the following:
> (clipped interesting comparison)
> There's a tad more Splenda in the mix (comparing batches of similar size)
> than there would be sugar, a lot more vinegar (albeit cider vinegar) and
> significantly less salt... but it could simply be that sweet pickles are
> supposed to be sweeter than B&B's. I don't know, never have put up any sweet
> pickles, always hot and sour for us, so there is a really good chance that I
> am rambling on about a subject to which I don't know my head from a hole in
> the ground as well :-)
>
> Keith

I started with a standard B&B recipe - probably from Joy of Pickling. I then
adapted the recipe as said, safety not an issue because vinegar is the main
preserving agent, salt, spices, etc. can help preserve but mostly used for
flavoring. I use the same method for my mixed sweet pickle.
Edrena

The Joneses 14-01-2006 05:13 AM

The Joneses wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>
> > > ... Made a sweet whiskey sauce with butter & cream
> > > for the bread pudding this week - wish I hadn't. It's okay, just not fab. OB
> > > Preserving - that sweet sirup oughta last forever in the fridge. Probably don't
> > > even need to chill it! ...
> > > Edrena
> > >

> > I prefer a rum sauce with my bread pudding. A local guy makes a bread
> > pudding to die for out of day old French bread but won't divulge the
> > recipe. I got one from another friend and I may try making it with
> > Splenda this weekend. That's after I get done blanching and freezing a
> > giant head of cauliflower the wife picked and do the same with the
> > second crop of broccoli, vac pack the canadian bacon and the huge hunk
> > of cheese I bought at Sam's Club the other day. And then I want to go
> > check the used meat bin at Kroger's as I'm low on pork and beef. A house
> > husband's work is never done.
> >
> > And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
> > can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
> > I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
> > away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
> > yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
> > doing much better thank you.
> >
> > George

> A google on french bread pudding turned up lots of interesting recipes. Mine had a
> cut up loaf of bread soaked in a quart milk, cup of sugar, half cup raisins & 2
> tablespoons vanilla. ...

And 3 eggs....
Edrena

KW 14-01-2006 06:38 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Fri 13 Jan 2006 09:32:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it KW?
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >> Can I substitute granular "measure for measure" Splenda for granulated
> >> sugar in bread & butter pickles using the usual recipe and processing
> >> methods?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> >> __________________________________________________ ________________
> >> And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.
> >>

> >> Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

> > Wayne,
> >
> > Here's a link to a sweet pickle/splenda recipe on UGA's NCHFP website
> > http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...kleslices.html
> >
> > A quick review of the major differences between the brine for this and
> > their B&B pickle recipe shows the following:
> >
> > *Recipe amounts adjusted to reflect a similar batch using 3.5 lbs of
> > cucumbers*
> >
> > B&B Sweet
> > Pickles
> > 2.61 Cups Sugar 3.5 Cups
> > Splenda
> > 1/3 Cup Canning Salt 1 tbsp
> > Canning Salt
> > 8 Cups Sliced Onions No Onions
> > 1 tsp Tumeric 1 tsp
> > Whole Allspice
> > 2.32 Cups Regular Vinegar 4 Cups Cider
> > Vinegar
> >
> > 4
> > Cinnamon Sticks
> >
> > 1
> > Cup Water
> >
> > There's a tad more Splenda in the mix (comparing batches of similar
> > size) than there would be sugar, a lot more vinegar (albeit cider
> > vinegar) and significantly less salt... but it could simply be that
> > sweet pickles are supposed to be sweeter than B&B's. I don't know, never
> > have put up any sweet pickles, always hot and sour for us, so there is a
> > really good chance that I am rambling on about a subject to which I
> > don't know my head from a hole in the ground as well :-)
> >
> > Keith

> Thanks, Keith, for the comparison and for the link. It's interesting that
> the recipe using Splenda uses more than a similar recipe using sugar. I
> say that because, IMO, Spenda seems much sweeter than sugar, measure for

I would agree. I took the NCHFP Self Study course last week (I spoke with
Dr. Andress over the summer and she mentioned the program and piqued my
interest...overall it was a well designed program geared to the beginner to
intermediate crowd) .....anyway there was a section discussing sugar
substitutes and it mentioned Splenda as the only one that took well to the
heat required for processing and IIRC, also recomended using 1/2 what the
typical recipe calls for in sugar.

> measure. Since the sugar doesn't really contribute to the preserving of
> the cukes, I'll probably rely on a taste test to arrive at the sweet/sour
> ratio. I'm wondering, and I suspect, that the considerably lower salt
> content is due to the focus of these recipes for special diets. The
> pickled beet recipe is similar in it's low content, and two of the other
> recipes are specifically low-sodium. I also suspect that these pickles
> will unusually "un-salty". It could be that they made them sweeter to
> compensate for the lack of salty taste. Interesting recipes...I've copied
> them.
>
> Your "hot and sour" pickles sound interesting, and might be another good
> thing for me to consider since I need to reduce or eliminate sugar. Would
> you mind sharing your recipe?

Not at all, but like most of my culinary escapades, I have a tendancy to not
measure ingredients very diligently, so the following is mainly and educated
guess but should be close enough to what I've done before.

I do not have a set base recipe for the dill pickles. I've used the one on
the UGA site and the one on homecanning.com with good results from both. My
additions have simply been to increase the vinegar content by about 1/3 and
then when ready to process, I add the following to each jar before they take
the plunge into the jacuzzi:

2-3 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
3-4 Peppercorns
1 Sliced Jalapeño (Stem removed but seeds intact)
1 Whole Jalapeño
2 Dashes Texas Pete or similar hot sauce

Keith

> TIA

De nada, I hope you like them!

Ophelia 14-01-2006 09:50 AM

Splenda for Pickles?

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> The Joneses wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>>Personally I always preferred George Dickel, 12 year old. Ain't
>>>nothing
>>>like sour mash with a splash of branch water. Haven't had a drink
>>>since
>>>1976 but I can still remember the taste. Ahh, yout. And that's
>>>deliberate, a salute to Joe Pesci and "My Cousin Vinnie."
>>>
>>>George

>> I liked that movie, the gal pal was a hoot. I don't drink so
>> much - just a
>> little for my health's sake ;) Made a sweet whiskey sauce with
>> butter & cream
>> for the bread pudding this week - wish I hadn't. It's okay, just not
>> fab. OB
>> Preserving - that sweet sirup oughta last forever in the fridge.
>> Probably don't
>> even need to chill it!
>> Had my flirt with the demon in the service and it runs in the
>> family. We're
>> pretty careful. Glad to hear you're doing better George.
>> Edrena
>>

> Me too, two sodden brothers-in-law, two first cousins, a sister. The
> first four are dead from alcohol, the sister is just pitiful. Never
> drank much but when I did overdo, whooee. Never had a hangover,
> whuskey can't give you a hangover when you throw up for a couple of
> hours. Gave up overdoing alcohol when I got out of the Navy at 21 and
> never was much of a social drinker although I made lots of wine in my
> lifetime. <VBG>
>
> I do miss the occasional drink of Dickel that I used to have and could
> probably get by with one once in awhile but, like cigarettes, I had
> better not. I know very well that if I ever smoke one cigarette again
> I will be up to 5 packs a day within a week. I was hooked on those
> things for 40 years.
>
> I didn't think you were a drunk Edrena, you wouldn't be able to type
> if you were. <BSEG> Just kidding of course.
> I prefer a rum sauce with my bread pudding. A local guy makes a bread
> pudding to die for out of day old French bread but won't divulge the
> recipe. I got one from another friend and I may try making it with
> Splenda this weekend. That's after I get done blanching and freezing a
> giant head of cauliflower the wife picked and do the same with the
> second crop of broccoli, vac pack the canadian bacon and the huge hunk
> of cheese I bought at Sam's Club the other day. And then I want to go
> check the used meat bin at Kroger's as I'm low on pork and beef. A
> house husband's work is never done.
>
> And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
> can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much
> as I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric
> thing away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
> yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
> doing much better thank you.

Wow... that is impressive!

Brian Mailman 14-01-2006 06:49 PM

Splenda for Pickles?

George Shirley wrote:

> ...Yup, doing much better thank you.

Great!

Melba's Jammin' 20-01-2006 04:30 PM

Splenda for Pickles?

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
> can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
> I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
> away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
> yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
> doing much better thank you.
>
> George

Man, for an old fart, you're coming back nicely! Glad to hear it,
George. Really glad!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

George Shirley 20-01-2006 05:04 PM

Splenda for Pickles?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>

>>And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
>>can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
>>I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
>>away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
>>yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
>>doing much better thank you.
>>
>>George

> Man, for an old fart, you're coming back nicely! Glad to hear it,
> George. Really glad!

Yesterday I had my last physical and occupational therapy sessions. No
diploma but I got a hug from the pretty lady that does the oc therapy.
Didn't want a hug from the guy who does the PT, his shoulders are wider
than I am tall.

I'm walking about a half mile a day and intend to extend it next week.
Working out with an elastic band and Miz Anne wants us both to join a
local gym attached to the hospital, they got exercise gurus to help you
with your infirmities and an indoor pool. I reckon we'll do it if it
doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I go by her veggie garden each day looking for something to can or
freeze, non-harvest season is so boring. Thinking of going up to a
friends house, he's trying to lure us into visiting again with the offer
of an unused pressure canner/cooker he found in the attic, still in the
sealed box. Since last trip I got several cases of new pint jars I might
just go up for a weekend and let him grill us some venison.

George

KW 20-01-2006 06:20 PM

Splenda for Pickles?

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > George Shirley > wrote:
> >

> >>And, yes, I'm doing better. Some of the paralysis has left my face, I
> >>can pucker up enough to whistle for the dog and I don't drool as much as
> >>I did. I can shave with my regular razor and can put that electric thing
> >>away until the next stroke. I walked the whole giant supermarket
> >>yesterday pushing a cart, no more electric grocery carts for me. Yup,
> >>doing much better thank you.
> >>
> >>George

> > Man, for an old fart, you're coming back nicely! Glad to hear it,
> > George. Really glad!

I'll second that, great news!

> Yesterday I had my last physical and occupational therapy sessions. No
> diploma but I got a hug from the pretty lady that does the oc therapy.
> Didn't want a hug from the guy who does the PT, his shoulders are wider
> than I am tall.
>
> I'm walking about a half mile a day and intend to extend it next week.
> Working out with an elastic band and Miz Anne wants us both to join a
> local gym attached to the hospital, they got exercise gurus to help you
> with your infirmities and an indoor pool. I reckon we'll do it if it
> doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Check to see if they participate in the Silver Sneakers program. I just
found out that our gym does and what that means is that Medic(are/aid....one
of the 2 anyway) will pay for a basic membership if'n you meet their
requirements Check it out at http://www.brmfc.com/silver_sneakers.html or
http://silversneakers.com/

Keith