School Cafeteria Recipes - Comfort or Discomfort Food?

Old 01-04-2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default School Cafeteria Recipes - Comfort or Discomfort Food?

I found a website that has USDA school cafeteria recipes. Remember
school cafeteria carrot-raisin salad, cornbread, chili, pizza? In some
cases it was comfort food and in others it was discomfort food. Some of
the recipes look better than when I was in elementary school mumble
years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50
and 100 servings. Do you need 100-servings of carrot-raisin salad? At
least Mastercook will scale them down.

Here is the URL to the recipe list. You will need to have Adope Acrobat
Reader installed in order to view the recipes. Right click on the
recipe title to save it to you hard disk.

http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...dex_alpha.html

Here is a list of some of the recipes:

Apple Cobbler
Apple Crisp
Apple-Honey Crisp
Applesauce Cake
Arroz con Queso (Rice with Cheese)
Baked Beans (Using Canned Vegetarian Beans)
Baked Cajun Fish
Baked Fish Scandia

Baked French Toast Strips
Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
Baking Powder Biscuits
Banana Bread Squares
Barbecued Beef or Pork on Roll (Using Canned Meats)
Barbecued Chicken
Barbeque Sauce
Bean Burrito
Bean Soup
Bean Taco
Beef and Bean Tamale Pie
Beef or Pork Burrito
Beef or Pork Burrito (Using Canned Meats)
Beef or Pork Taco
Beef or Pork Taco (Using Canned Meats)
Beef Shepherds Pie
Beef Stew
Beef Stir-Fry
Beef Taco Pie
Beef Tamale Pie
Beef Vegetable Soup
Bottom Pastry Crust (Sheet Pans)
Bread Stuffing
Breakfast Burrito with Salsa
Broccoli Salad
Broccoli, Cheese, and Rice Casserole
Brown Bread
Brown Gravy
Brown Rice Pilaf
etc., etc., etc.

-Rusty

Old 01-04-2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"Rusty" wrote:
years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50

-Rusty

Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

Old 01-04-2006, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article . com,
"Rusty" wrote:
years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50

-Rusty

Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
--
-Barb

Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
pineapple and chopped nuts.

I missed that. Now that's a clear case of child abuse.

;-)

-Rusty

Old 01-04-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Rusty wrote:
I found a website that has USDA school cafeteria recipes. Remember
school cafeteria carrot-raisin salad, cornbread, chili, pizza? In some
cases it was comfort food and in others it was discomfort food. Some of
the recipes look better than when I was in elementary school mumble
years ago. [snip]

When I was in high school I worked for two years in the kitchen that
served the elementary and high school cafeteria. The menus started out
standardized but changed as the school year passed because the
availability of ingredients never kept to the plan. This was a small
isolated town in Alaska with problematic freight deliveries in the
winter. So I learned (by observation) about improvising around set
menus. Looking back at it I remember three lessons learned: the cooks
tasted as they went along, even things they'd made many times before
according to the same recipe; the needs of producing in volume forces
compromises that you have to make the best of -- steam tables are not a
good thing; and practicing knife skills is fun. -aem

Old 01-04-2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
[...]

Discomfort, definitely! Boy, I don't know what school(s) those came from,
but back in my day the cafeteria food consisted of some sort of mystery meat
in brown gravy; rice or mashed potatoes, some sort of vegetable (obviously
canned). They had (obviously from frozen) hamburgers and limp crinkle-cut
french fries. I think the "dessert" was Jell-O and/or pudding.

There were no soups or stews; there were no stir-fry type things and I don't
remember any bread other than the buns those frozen burgers came on. Oh,
maybe white bread if you wanted a pimiento-cheese sandwich.

Each day they did have some sort of "special", like tacos, which resembled
tacos made from an Old El Paso dinner kit - pre-made so you didn't get to
choose what toppings you might want (or not want) on them. Or (from frozen)
battered fish fillets accompanied by those limp crinkle-cut fries.

I never ate in the school cafeteria; I brown-bagged it.

Jill

Old 01-04-2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Judging from the list above, these weren't from my years in grade school.
We'd never heard of burritos or tacos or stir-fry or tamales. Or Cajun
anything.

What I remember were fish sticks with mac 'n cheese, meatloaf with mashed
potatoes, spaghetti that wasn't too bad, and ravioli from a can, which I
thought was terribly exotic. The only oriental fare was something they
called beef chop suey, which was beef stew meat and oriental veggies
(canned, I'm sure) with some soy sauce. It was heavy on the bean sprouts,
served with a scoop of white rice, and wasn't too bad, considering. Fridays
were always meatless, even though it was a public school.

The hamburgers were weird. Just an odd taste. Maybe it was terminal freezer
burn or something. Enough ketchup, and it improved, but they were definitely
odd.

Sometimes, on very rare occasions, we got pizza. Maybe once or twice a year.

Around Thanksgiving, we always got "turkey dinner." Why they called it
dinner, I don't know.

Spaghetti always came with a weird side dish. Something that didn't match.
Like mashed potatoes or something like that. I think it had something to do
with the formula they had to use when creating a meal.

Ah, memories....

(burp)

Donna

Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" wrote in message
oups.com...

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article . com,
"Rusty" wrote:
years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with

vegetables
or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50

-Rusty

Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
--
-Barb

Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
pineapple and chopped nuts.

I missed that. Now that's a clear case of child abuse.

;-)

-Rusty

In my area it was billed as Jell-O Supreme.
No matter the Jell-O flavor nor fruit, it was always topped with a
teaspoonful of mayonnaise and a half cherry.
It is a credit to those ladies who fed all the children on what the
government food commodities
program sent.
A gruff WW II Supply Sergeant would bow to their craft & creativeness.
If you want child abuse in that era, just smart off at one and see what
happened
when Momma found out.....DAMHIK....

Hubert

Old 01-04-2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" wrote in news:1143912157.836149.140010
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
pineapple and chopped nuts.

I missed that. Now that's a clear case of child abuse.

Sounds decent, tho I'm not fond of orange Jello
Old 01-04-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" wrote in news:1143910470.525107.24820
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

I found a website that has USDA school cafeteria recipes.

Good link. I'm about to start Cullinary school in a few weeks, and
actually, unlike a lot of people who go that route probably, my goal is
to work in a school/daycare or retirement home setting. Seems like it'd
be more rewarding than say at a fancy resturant to me, even if hte pay
isn't as good. Some of those could also be useful if I can swing
things next summer to maybe take over the Wednesday night dinners @ my
church.

Do you need 100-servings of carrot-raisin salad? At
least Mastercook will scale them down.

But will it scale them properly? Just halfing or quartering the recipe
isn't always the way to do it.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"Rusty" wrote:
(snip)
years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50

-Rusty

Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
--
-Barb

Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
pineapple and chopped nuts.

And your point is what?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
salad sandwiches on Fridays, alternating with tuna salad, peanut
butter, and grilled cheese sandwiches. Back in the old days, Roman
Catholics weren't allowed to eat meat on *any* Fridays.

I loved the hamburger gravy with mashed potatoes and corn. All
stirred together. Crash and I do this with meatloaf instead of
hamburger gravy. The effect is pretty much the same.

I remember huge sheets of cornbread, covered with a thick layer of
butter and spread with honey.

Also plain bread smeared with a couple tablespoons of butter per
slice. Made them stick to the ceiling better. I don't like unmelted
butter to this day.

Can't remember anything else right offhand.

Peace,
Carol
Old 01-04-2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article .com,
"Rusty" wrote:
(snip)
years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50

-Rusty

Hey, hey, hey!! Careful there!
http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...cipes/C-11.pdf
--
-Barb

Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
pineapple and chopped nuts.

And your point is what?

--
-Barb

After being forced to eat green jello with shredded cabbage and carrots
floating in it or red jello with flavorless crunchy fruit cocktail
floating in it as a child, I don't find that recipe to be very
appealing.

-Rusty

Old 02-04-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"Rusty" wrote:
After being forced to eat green jello with shredded cabbage and carrots
floating in it or red jello with flavorless crunchy fruit cocktail
floating in it as a child, I don't find that recipe to be very
appealing.

-Rusty

You and countless others, Rusty. :-)
We had green jello with celery and shredded carrots -- I don't think Mom
used cabbage in it. Gotta have a dollop of mayo on top. I always found
it refreshing. Orange jello had carrots with the mayo on top, I
liked that, too. Haven't made it in years. Maybe for Easter.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article . com,
"Rusty" wrote:

After being forced to eat green jello with shredded cabbage and carrots
floating in it or red jello with flavorless crunchy fruit cocktail
floating in it as a child, I don't find that recipe to be very
appealing.

-Rusty

You and countless others, Rusty. :-)
We had green jello with celery and shredded carrots -- I don't think Mom
used cabbage in it. Gotta have a dollop of mayo on top. I always found
it refreshing. Orange jello had carrots with the mayo on top, I
liked that, too. Haven't made it in years. Maybe for Easter.

Lime jello with mandarin orange sections, crushed pineapple, and
chunks of grapefruit.
No topping needed.

'wyrm

Old 02-04-2006, 05:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-01, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Yuk! It's a recipe titled, "Orange-Pineapple Gelatin" with bits of
pineapple and chopped nuts.

And your point is what?

Really! Sounds pretty tasty to me. Of course I'm a Jell-O nut.
Never did get tired of lime Jell-O w/ cottage cheese.

nb