Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] is offline

Default School Cafeteria Recipes - Comfort or Discomfort Food?

I developed a deep-seated hatred of salmon after being served salmon
salad sandwiches on Fridays, alternating with tuna salad, peanut
butter, and grilled cheese sandwiches. Back in the old days, Roman
Catholics weren't allowed to eat meat on *any* Fridays.

I loved the hamburger gravy with mashed potatoes and corn. All
stirred together. Crash and I do this with meatloaf instead of
hamburger gravy. The effect is pretty much the same.

I remember huge sheets of cornbread, covered with a thick layer of
butter and spread with honey.

Also plain bread smeared with a couple tablespoons of butter per
slice. Made them stick to the ceiling better. I don't like unmelted
butter to this day.

Can't remember anything else right offhand.

Peace,
Carol