Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default School Cafeteria Recipes - Comfort or Discomfort Food?

On Sun 02 Apr 2006 02:44:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it D.Currie?

> "jj - rfc" > wrote in message
>> One time on Usenet, notbob > said:

>>> I'm with you on that one, D. Not exactly hatred, but too many canned
>>> salmon patties as a kid kept me far away for years. Wasn't till I was
>>> about 30 that I actually tasted fresh grilled salmon, which changed my
>>> life. But recently, as an experiment, I bought 2-3 cans of salmon and
>>> using my killer tuna fish salad recipe, I made sandwiches. YUCKO!
>>> Canned salmon just don't get it.

>> That's funny, because after years of being exposed to fresh salmon
>> (and tons of other seafood), about the only way I like it is canned
>> and made into patties...
>>

> I never had salmon patties in school, but my mother made them sometimes.
> I just made a batch recently, just to see if I still liked them. Odd
> thing is that I recall eating them with ketchup. Maybe I'm hallucinating
> that part.

Ditto, the only salmon patties I had ever eaten were those my mother made
and they were excellent. She served them with a white sauce containing
chopped cucumber and fresh dill. I occasionally make them that way for
myself. I occasionally will order salmon croquettes in a local restaurant,
and they are served with a white sauce containing green peas. I don't like
any fish preprepared with or served with tomato products.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬