Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default high school cafeteria burgers

I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?

These days, I'm a vegetarian and eat a LOT of soy burgers, and I
*think* they taste like the old cafeteria burgers, but I'm not sure.
Can anyone help out with this one?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Space Boss wrote:
> I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
> that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
> kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
> to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
> Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?

If I remember correctly, the cafeteria I was stuck in bought frozen
hamburger patties from an outfit that used some kind of soy product to
stretch their meat dollar, in a Hamburger Helper sort of way, but it
wasn't pure soy at the time. I don't recall the meat as being
particularly bad tasting, but the buns were frequently half stale.
Today, I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what's being served or the
quality or taste of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Space Boss wrote:
> I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
> that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
> kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
> to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
> Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?
>
> These days, I'm a vegetarian and eat a LOT of soy burgers, and I
> *think* they taste like the old cafeteria burgers, but I'm not sure.
> Can anyone help out with this one?

I am pretty sure they were beef with fillers. "Fillers" could have
been soy-based but most likely was wheat gluten. IMO, Boca vegan
original was the best soy burg on the market for years but since Kraft
bought Boca the taste and quality have gone downhill. Supposedly there
is a frozen portobello mushroom burger on the market but I have been
unable to find it. I still eat the Bocas every now and then, for lack
of a better alternative. I hate Morningstar farms.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Aug 2006 02:29:39 -0700, "The Space Boss" >
wrote:

>I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
>that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
>kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
>to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
>Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?
>
>These days, I'm a vegetarian and eat a LOT of soy burgers, and I
>*think* they taste like the old cafeteria burgers, but I'm not sure.
>Can anyone help out with this one?

I went to high school in the early 70s. I'm not aware of the presence
of any dead animals in those burgers. Just soy and lots of pepper.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On 7 Aug 2006 02:29:39 -0700, "The Space Boss" >
> wrote:
>
> >I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
> >that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
> >kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
> >to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
> >Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?
> >
> >These days, I'm a vegetarian and eat a LOT of soy burgers, and I
> >*think* they taste like the old cafeteria burgers, but I'm not sure.
> >Can anyone help out with this one?

> I went to high school in the early 70s. I'm not aware of the presence
> of any dead animals in those burgers. Just soy and lots of pepper.
>
> Carol

the illustrious 'mystery meat' burgers. The truth to the mystery was it
wasn't meat!!!! It was soylent green!!!!!!!Whaddaya think they did with the
slackers that just never seemed to graduate but one day "poof" just weren't
there anymore and no one knew what happened to them!!!!! Gawd I loved the
70's.....
-ginny
(Richmond Senior High - Class of '79)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Space Boss wrote:
> I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
> that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties?

Can't say, as I never ate at the cafeteria in school (high or otherwise LOL)
The stuff they served looked like so much crapola I never considered buying
anything.

Oh, I take that back... when I was seven I wanted to try the tacos at the
cafeteria. But I don't like raw veggies and I couldn't get the tacos
without shredded lettuce piled on them. The teacher wouldn't let me leave
the table without eating the tacos, which of course (stubborn me) I refused
to do because I truly hate lettuce. She threatened to call my mother. Oh,
good, you do that! She called my mother who said, "She doesn't like
lettuce; let her go to class. What's your problem?" LOL

I hate it when people try to force kids to eat things they don't like. It
was no skin off that woman's nose if I ate the tacos or not.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 07 Aug 2006 08:44:04a, jmcquown meant to say...

> The Space Boss wrote:
>> I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
>> that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties?

> Can't say, as I never ate at the cafeteria in school (high or otherwise
> LOL) The stuff they served looked like so much crapola I never
> considered buying anything.
>
> Oh, I take that back... when I was seven I wanted to try the tacos at
> the cafeteria. But I don't like raw veggies and I couldn't get the
> tacos without shredded lettuce piled on them. The teacher wouldn't let
> me leave the table without eating the tacos, which of course (stubborn
> me) I refused to do because I truly hate lettuce. She threatened to
> call my mother. Oh, good, you do that! She called my mother who said,
> "She doesn't like lettuce; let her go to class. What's your problem?"
> LOL
>
> I hate it when people try to force kids to eat things they don't like.
> It was no skin off that woman's nose if I ate the tacos or not.

She did want you to suffer from malnutrition. (Like there was a lot of
nutrition in that taco.) :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> I hate Morningstar farms.

No kidding? I like it myself, but I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian
so I'm not confined to eating that stuff and can afford to be a little
more forgiving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Space Boss wrote:
> I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
> that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
> kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
> to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
> Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?
>
> These days, I'm a vegetarian and eat a LOT of soy burgers, and I
> *think* they taste like the old cafeteria burgers, but I'm not sure.
> Can anyone help out with this one?

I don't know, considering the cost of soy-burgers at the grocery store I'm not
sure it would make an economical filler. I was always concerned with the
quality of the hamburgers as well, but I figured that enough ketchup covered
everything just fine.

Also, they were considerably better than my foster mom's cooking. She was a
lovely lady but she just could not cook to save her life.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

The Space Boss wrote:
> I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
> that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
> kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
> to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
> Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?
>
> These days, I'm a vegetarian and eat a LOT of soy burgers, and I
> *think* they taste like the old cafeteria burgers, but I'm not sure.
> Can anyone help out with this one?

Can't help with this because I went to high school in the 50's. I
worked in the cafeteria kitchen, which served both the high school and
the elementary school. Far from nosy health inspectors, the cooks
sometimes mixed some ground pork in with the ground beef, making
particularly juicy, good tasting burgers. When they did that, they
would tell me to be sure I cooked the patties well -- I eventually
graduated to being the grill (really, griddle) guy -- but the press of
the lengthening line meant I sometimes served them pink. No one ever
got sick.....

Back then the school got big blocks of what we called government cheese
but not soy or tvp, if such even existed then. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Aug 2006 11:36:23 -0700, "aem" > wrote:

>Can't help with this because I went to high school in the 50's. I
>worked in the cafeteria kitchen, which served both the high school and
>the elementary school. Far from nosy health inspectors, the cooks
>sometimes mixed some ground pork in with the ground beef, making
>particularly juicy, good tasting burgers. When they did that, they
>would tell me to be sure I cooked the patties well -- I eventually
>graduated to being the grill (really, griddle) guy -- but the press of
>the lengthening line meant I sometimes served them pink. No one ever
>got sick.....

I hope you didn't have any Jewish students when they pulled that.
Personally, I'd enjoy those burgers a lot.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2006 11:36:23 -0700, "aem" > wrote:
>
> >Can't help with this because I went to high school in the 50's. I
> >worked in the cafeteria kitchen, which served both the high school and
> >the elementary school. Far from nosy health inspectors, the cooks
> >sometimes mixed some ground pork in with the ground beef, making
> >particularly juicy, good tasting burgers. When they did that, they
> >would tell me to be sure I cooked the patties well -- I eventually
> >graduated to being the grill (really, griddle) guy -- but the press of
> >the lengthening line meant I sometimes served them pink. No one ever
> >got sick.....

> I hope you didn't have any Jewish students when they pulled that.
> Personally, I'd enjoy those burgers a lot.

It was a very small town. There was one Jewish family in town, and
everyone knew that they didn't eat pork. Their son was three years
behind me in school and he always brought his lunch, never buying the
cafeteria food. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Aug 2006 13:20:28 -0700, "aem" > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On 7 Aug 2006 11:36:23 -0700, "aem" > wrote:
>>
>> >Can't help with this because I went to high school in the 50's. I
>> >worked in the cafeteria kitchen, which served both the high school and
>> >the elementary school. Far from nosy health inspectors, the cooks
>> >sometimes mixed some ground pork in with the ground beef, making
>> >particularly juicy, good tasting burgers. When they did that, they
>> >would tell me to be sure I cooked the patties well -- I eventually
>> >graduated to being the grill (really, griddle) guy -- but the press of
>> >the lengthening line meant I sometimes served them pink. No one ever
>> >got sick.....

>> I hope you didn't have any Jewish students when they pulled that.
>> Personally, I'd enjoy those burgers a lot.
>>

>It was a very small town. There was one Jewish family in town, and
>everyone knew that they didn't eat pork. Their son was three years
>behind me in school and he always brought his lunch, never buying the
>cafeteria food.

That's good. Thanks for letting me know. )

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I went to high school in the early 70s. I'm not aware of the presence
> of any dead animals in those burgers. Just soy and lots of pepper.
>
> Carol

Wouldn't it seem that soy burgers would be more expensive than beef
back then?

They're more expensive now...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Oh, I take that back... when I was seven I wanted to try the tacos at the
> cafeteria. But I don't like raw veggies and I couldn't get the tacos
> without shredded lettuce piled on them. The teacher wouldn't let me leave
> the table without eating the tacos, which of course (stubborn me) I refused
> to do because I truly hate lettuce. She threatened to call my mother. Oh,
> good, you do that! She called my mother who said, "She doesn't like
> lettuce; let her go to class. What's your problem?" LOL
>
> I hate it when people try to force kids to eat things they don't like. It
> was no skin off that woman's nose if I ate the tacos or not.
>
> Jill

She was picking on you and using her authority for her own perverse
satisfaction. You should track this woman down and confront her with
it. So what if 30 years has passed, confront her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Space Boss wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>

> > I went to high school in the early 70s. I'm not aware of the presence
> > of any dead animals in those burgers. Just soy and lots of pepper.
> >
> > Carol

> Wouldn't it seem that soy burgers would be more expensive than beef
> back then?
>
> They're more expensive now...

Not at all. Soy is very cheap, it only got expensive when it got trendy
and found an audience of non humans (humans are omnivores).

Pete C.
(human - omnivore - love tofu - love dead cow)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Space Boss" > wrote:

>I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
>that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
>kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
>to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
>Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?

Much also depends on what *part* of the animal is used. I.E. the
stuff used in the cheap burgers bought by the school system isn't a
part of the animal in great demand down at the local Megamart.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Derek Lyons wrote:

> Much also depends on what *part* of the animal is used. I.E. the
> stuff used in the cheap burgers bought by the school system isn't a
> part of the animal in great demand down at the local Megamart.

When I worked at Jack in the Box, the meat had a different taste than
other places. Oh, they were GREAT burgers, just tasted like they were
seasoned a little different, or something (actually, it probably had a
LOT to do with the vented, steel "warmers" that the patties were stored
on until use.. they would continue to cook the meat as they sat right
on the grill, and the grease would drip through the holes creating
smoke that would season the meat.. good stuff). We even had customers
enquire as to whether the patties were 100% pure beef. When I first
started working there, I asked the shift leader what she would say if
asked if they were 100% pure beef, and she said she'd say "As far as I
know they are".

(For the record, they WERE 100% pure beef).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Space Boss wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Oh, I take that back... when I was seven I wanted to try the tacos
>> at the cafeteria. But I don't like raw veggies and I couldn't get
>> the tacos without shredded lettuce piled on them. The teacher
>> wouldn't let me leave the table without eating the tacos, which of
>> course (stubborn me) I refused to do because I truly hate lettuce.
>> She threatened to call my mother. Oh, good, you do that! She
>> called my mother who said, "She doesn't like lettuce; let her go to
>> class. What's your problem?" LOL
>>
>> I hate it when people try to force kids to eat things they don't
>> like. It was no skin off that woman's nose if I ate the tacos or
>> not.
>>
>> Jill

> She was picking on you and using her authority for her own perverse
> satisfaction. You should track this woman down and confront her with
> it. So what if 30 years has passed, confront her.

Like I would remember her name after all those years. I don't think I knew
her name way back then! I do know I attended Olive Elementary School, Vista
California. Huh. I do have my report card. Think I can really track her
down? LOL Sorry, I'm not that upset about it. It was just a report card.
after all

I have a really good memory of a kindergarten teacher in New Jersey. Her
husband built some nice kid-size furniture. Then there was the time when I
lived in Virginia... a Navy Doctor built a big play house out back behind
their house. Oh, and he had a billiards table in the basement and also
whatchacallem.... pinball machines.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Space Boss" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Derek Lyons wrote:
>

> > Much also depends on what *part* of the animal is used. I.E. the
> > stuff used in the cheap burgers bought by the school system isn't a
> > part of the animal in great demand down at the local Megamart.
> >

> When I worked at Jack in the Box, the meat had a different taste than
> other places. Oh, they were GREAT burgers, just tasted like they were
> seasoned a little different, or something (actually, it probably had a
> LOT to do with the vented, steel "warmers" that the patties were stored
> on until use.. they would continue to cook the meat as they sat right
> on the grill, and the grease would drip through the holes creating
> smoke that would season the meat.. good stuff). We even had customers
> enquire as to whether the patties were 100% pure beef. When I first
> started working there, I asked the shift leader what she would say if
> asked if they were 100% pure beef, and she said she'd say "As far as I
> know they are".
>
> (For the record, they WERE 100% pure beef).

Jack in the Box is the only fast food place I will eat a burger at, but
sadly, we don't have any in our area; my husband would have to drive 14
hours to get one for me. I've only ever been able to eat half a Jumbo Jack,
but that only leaves more for breakfast! Yum. Burger King, McDonalds,
Sonic, Checkers, Wendy's, has nothing on Jack in the Box!

kili

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"The Space Boss" > wrote:

> I went to high school in the 80's. Does anyone know if they hamburgers
> that HS cafeterias serve are (typically) SOY patties? I remember the
> kids used to complain that they didn't taste like real beef, and I have
> to agree with that assessment - but I STILL really liked the burgers!!
> Maybe they were a beef/soy mix?
>
> These days, I'm a vegetarian and eat a LOT of soy burgers, and I
> *think* they taste like the old cafeteria burgers, but I'm not sure.
> Can anyone help out with this one?

I doubt the burgers served when I was in high school were soy. At least
in my area, soy burgers cost more than beef burgers. If you're curious,
see if you can call the school district's food manager and ask.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Jack in the Box is the only fast food place I will eat a burger at, but
> sadly, we don't have any in our area; my husband would have to drive 14
> hours to get one for me. I've only ever been able to eat half a Jumbo Jack,
> but that only leaves more for breakfast! Yum. Burger King, McDonalds,
> Sonic, Checkers, Wendy's, has nothing on Jack in the Box!
>
> kili

I'm a little like that with Culvers up here in the midwest. Once a year (and
only once a year) I will drive to a Culvers and get a bacon double deluxe
cheeseburger (no onions), fries and a chocolate old fashioned. I will drive it
all home, set it up and pig out. None of the fast food around here compares to
Culvers. Hell, even their service is exceptional. I have never in my life seen
such well trained, pleasant and competent teenagers! I wasn't even that good
when I was a working teen. I chalk it all up to whatever training program they
have, it must be amazing.

hmmm, now that I think about it, it's been well over a year since I had my
last culvers indulgence...

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> I'm a little like that with Culvers up here in the midwest. Once a year (and
> only once a year) I will drive to a Culvers and get a bacon double deluxe
> cheeseburger (no onions), fries and a chocolate old fashioned. I will drive it
> all home, set it up and pig out.

This isn't really telling us a while lot. How far is Culvers from you?
An hour? 5 Minutes? 3 Hours?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Aug 2006 11:26:50 -0700, "The Space Boss" >
wrote:

>The Bubbo wrote:
>

>> I'm a little like that with Culvers up here in the midwest. Once a year (and
>> only once a year) I will drive to a Culvers and get a bacon double deluxe
>> cheeseburger (no onions), fries and a chocolate old fashioned. I will drive it
>> all home, set it up and pig out.

>This isn't really telling us a while lot. How far is Culvers from you?
>An hour? 5 Minutes? 3 Hours?

Doesn't really matter how long. IMO, even if they bring it to you at
the table they are horrible. The first bit is ok because you're
hungry. Unless you eat like a vacuum cleaner it cools and by the time
I'm half way done it's disgusting. I can't imagine even a 5 minute
lapse. The frys are ok. When I'm pressured to go there by companions
I order something other than a burger.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2006 11:26:50 -0700, "The Space Boss" >
> wrote:
>

>>The Bubbo wrote:
>>

>>> I'm a little like that with Culvers up here in the midwest. Once a year

(and
>>> only once a year) I will drive to a Culvers and get a bacon double deluxe
>>> cheeseburger (no onions), fries and a chocolate old fashioned. I will

drive it
>>> all home, set it up and pig out.

>>This isn't really telling us a while lot. How far is Culvers from you?
>>An hour? 5 Minutes? 3 Hours?

> Doesn't really matter how long. IMO, even if they bring it to you at
> the table they are horrible. The first bit is ok because you're
> hungry. Unless you eat like a vacuum cleaner it cools and by the time
> I'm half way done it's disgusting. I can't imagine even a 5 minute
> lapse. The frys are ok. When I'm pressured to go there by companions
> I order something other than a burger.
>
> Lou

you hate their fries? I love their fries! Of all the fast food fries they are
my favorite (with Portillos in Naperville coming in second, but only because
they are 6 1/2 hours from me)

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:56:38 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On 9 Aug 2006 11:26:50 -0700, "The Space Boss" >
>> wrote:

>(and

>drive it
>>>
>>>This isn't really telling us a while lot. How far is Culvers from you?
>>>An hour? 5 Minutes? 3 Hours?

>> Doesn't really matter how long. IMO, even if they bring it to you at
>> the table they are horrible. The first bit is ok because you're
>> hungry. Unless you eat like a vacuum cleaner it cools and by the time
>> I'm half way done it's disgusting. I can't imagine even a 5 minute
>> lapse. The frys are ok. When I'm pressured to go there by companions
>> I order something other than a burger.
>>
>> Lou

>you hate their fries? I love their fries! Of all the fast food fries they are
>my favorite (with Portillos in Naperville coming in second, but only because
>they are 6 1/2 hours from me)

Na,,, I said they were ok. But I spelled fries wrong. LOL
Portillos is good also but you need a heavy wallet to eat there.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:56:38 GMT, The Bubbo >

>>you hate their fries? I love their fries! Of all the fast food fries they

are
>>my favorite (with Portillos in Naperville coming in second, but only because
>>they are 6 1/2 hours from me)

> Na,,, I said they were ok. But I spelled fries wrong. LOL
> Portillos is good also but you need a heavy wallet to eat there.
>
> Lou

yeah, portillos can't be a regular thing, you'd have a light wallet and a
heavy ass.

I think I love crinkle cut fries more than anything.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com