Posted to rec.food.cooking
D.Currie[_1_] D.Currie[_1_] is offline

Default School Cafeteria Recipes - Comfort or Discomfort Food?

"Rusty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I found a website that has USDA school cafeteria recipes. Remember
> school cafeteria carrot-raisin salad, cornbread, chili, pizza? In some
> cases it was comfort food and in others it was discomfort food. Some of
> the recipes look better than when I was in elementary school mumble
> years ago. At least I don't see any recipes for gelatin with vegetables
> or fruit embedded in it. The recipes are in PDF format and are for 50
> and 100 servings. Do you need 100-servings of carrot-raisin salad? At
> least Mastercook will scale them down.
>
> Here is the URL to the recipe list. You will need to have Adope Acrobat
> Reader installed in order to view the recipes. Right click on the
> recipe title to save it to you hard disk.
>
> http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/sch...dex_alpha.html
>
> Here is a list of some of the recipes:
>
> Apple Cobbler
> Apple Crisp
> Apple-Honey Crisp
> Applesauce Cake
> Arroz con Queso (Rice with Cheese)
> Baked Beans (Using Canned Vegetarian Beans)
> Baked Cajun Fish
> Baked Fish Scandia
>
> Baked French Toast Strips
> Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
> Baking Powder Biscuits
> Banana Bread Squares
> Barbecued Beef or Pork on Roll (Using Canned Meats)
> Barbecued Chicken
> Barbeque Sauce
> Bean Burrito
> Bean Soup
> Bean Taco
> Beef and Bean Tamale Pie
> Beef or Pork Burrito
> Beef or Pork Burrito (Using Canned Meats)
> Beef or Pork Taco
> Beef or Pork Taco (Using Canned Meats)
> Beef Shepherds Pie
> Beef Stew
> Beef Stir-Fry
> Beef Taco Pie
> Beef Tamale Pie
> Beef Vegetable Soup
> Bottom Pastry Crust (Sheet Pans)
> Bread Stuffing
> Breakfast Burrito with Salsa
> Broccoli Salad
> Broccoli, Cheese, and Rice Casserole
> Brown Bread
> Brown Gravy
> Brown Rice Pilaf
> etc., etc., etc.
>
> -Rusty

Judging from the list above, these weren't from my years in grade school.
We'd never heard of burritos or tacos or stir-fry or tamales. Or Cajun
anything.

What I remember were fish sticks with mac 'n cheese, meatloaf with mashed
potatoes, spaghetti that wasn't too bad, and ravioli from a can, which I
thought was terribly exotic. The only oriental fare was something they
called beef chop suey, which was beef stew meat and oriental veggies
(canned, I'm sure) with some soy sauce. It was heavy on the bean sprouts,
served with a scoop of white rice, and wasn't too bad, considering. Fridays
were always meatless, even though it was a public school.

The hamburgers were weird. Just an odd taste. Maybe it was terminal freezer
burn or something. Enough ketchup, and it improved, but they were definitely
odd.

Sometimes, on very rare occasions, we got pizza. Maybe once or twice a year.

Around Thanksgiving, we always got "turkey dinner." Why they called it
dinner, I don't know.

Spaghetti always came with a weird side dish. Something that didn't match.
Like mashed potatoes or something like that. I think it had something to do
with the formula they had to use when creating a meal.

Ah, memories....

(burp)

Donna