Least fishy tasting fish?

Old 21-01-2006, 11:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default Least fishy tasting fish?

I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gareth.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Old 21-01-2006, 11:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Gareth" wrote in message
I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start

with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gareth.

I'd try something mild, cheap and readily available, like tilapia. It's not
fishy, it's flakey, and you could bread it and fry it, sautee it, do a
chowder, fish taco.............whatever. It's really a versatile fish.

kili

Old 21-01-2006, 11:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Gareth wrote:
I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gareth.

Sole and Flounder. I do not like fish, but these are good, no matter
how you cook them. Just make certain that the fish is really fresh.
Old 21-01-2006, 11:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Gareth" wrote in message

I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger,
but I think it is time I tried it again. What type of
fish would you recommend I start with?

Any very fresh, white salt-water fish. Go to your local fishmonger; avoid
purchasing under plastic wrap at the grocery store. Ideally, your fresh
fish shouldn't smell of fish at all, but fresh and briney. For freshwater
fish, you could try trout, but it can be a bit more oily and fishy-tasting.

-j

Old 21-01-2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

kilikini wrote:
"Gareth" wrote in message
I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I
start with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gareth.

I'd try something mild, cheap and readily available, like tilapia.
It's not fishy, it's flakey, and you could bread it and fry it,
sautee it, do a chowder, fish taco.............whatever. It's really
a versatile fish.

kili

Tilapia or catfish fillets, definitely. It's mild tasting, flakey and tends
to take well to olive oil or butter and dried spices. Doesn't take long at
all to broil, pan-fry or grill and is very mild tasting.

Sole is wonderful but is delicate; hard to turn without falling apart. Very
nice taste, though.

Salmon and halibut are more 'heavy' tasting; oily and more "fishy" tasting.
A key to those are to soak the fillets in water for about 30 minutes with
lemon slices before you cook them to leach out the oil.

Jill

Old 21-01-2006, 01:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Peter wrote:

Shark, fresh tuna, skate, marlin are all quite 'unfishy' or at least
untypical fish. Look for fish that is really really fresh - if it's smelly
or looks dull, leave it alone. You could try flounder or sole, fried with
little cubes of bacon - MUST be fresh to taste good, though.

Things to avoid, probably, are eel, mullet, mackerel, halibut ... in other
words oily fish - these are best smoked i.m.o. and not fried or boiled.

Salt water fish have it over fresh water fish. (don't get me wrong, I love
trout and salmon myself - but they can be very rich).

I agree with everything written above, but let me just add my favorite white
"non-fishy" fish: sea bass. Also, I never thought of salmon as being fishy;
its taste is different than what I associate with "fishy," though I agree
with its being rich. YMMV.

Bob

Old 21-01-2006, 02:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Margaret Suran wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

Gareth wrote:
I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it
is time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I
start with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gareth.

Sole and Flounder. I do not like fish, but these are good, no matter
how you cook them. Just make certain that the fish is really fresh.

Cod and Halibut also are pretty mild in flavour and work well under
different cooking methods such as battered and deep fried, breaded,
baked, fried or used in chowders.

Salmon is excellent grilled/BBQed but you might have issues with the
bones.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Old 21-01-2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Salt water fish have it over fresh water fish. (don't get me wrong, I love
trout and salmon myself - but they can be very rich).

-P.

You've obviously never been to a southern fish-fry (Bream, Bass &
Catfish) with hushpuppies, slaw and dill pickle slices. kev

Old 21-01-2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

In article ,
Gareth wrote:

I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gareth.

I personally prefer catfish, (no fishy taste at all), but just plain
whitefish might work for you. Whiting.

It's inexpensive and needs a LOT of help as it has very little flavor.
;-)

Tilapia fillets are not bad either. Just DO avoid buying this fish
whole! The skin is nasty. Slimy and very fishy smelling.

IME anyhoo.
--
Om.

Old 21-01-2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

jmcquown wrote:

Tilapia or catfish fillets, definitely. It's mild tasting, flakey and tends
to take well to olive oil or butter and dried spices. Doesn't take long at
all to broil, pan-fry or grill and is very mild tasting.

True.

Sole is wonderful but is delicate; hard to turn without falling apart. Very
nice taste, though.

True.

Salmon and halibut are more 'heavy' tasting; oily and more "fishy" tasting.
A key to those are to soak the fillets in water for about 30 minutes with
lemon slices before you cook them to leach out the oil.

False on all counts. Salmon tastes like salmon. Soaking it in lemon
water would simply make it taste like watery, lemon-tinged salmon.
Halibut is never oily and 'fishy'. Maybe you got some old, near rotten
fish and confused that with oiliness. -aem

Old 21-01-2006, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
Gareth wrote:

I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I
start with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gareth.

I personally prefer catfish, (no fishy taste at all), but just plain
whitefish might work for you. Whiting.

It's inexpensive and needs a LOT of help as it has very little flavor.
;-)

Tilapia fillets are not bad either. Just DO avoid buying this fish
whole! The skin is nasty. Slimy and very fishy smelling.

IME anyhoo.

OOOOOH I love whiting! but I can't find off the bone. I have to buy whole
whiting and while it's very nice, its on the bone (gutted and thankfully,
headless) bit it's a PIA to cook.

Jill

Old 21-01-2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

snip

OOOOOH I love whiting! but I can't find off the bone. I have to buy whole
whiting and while it's very nice, its on the bone (gutted and thankfully,
headless) bit it's a PIA to cook.

Jill

The walmarts around here always have whiting. If memory serves me they
come in big (3 or 5 lb?) boxes ... frozen fillets. About the least
expensive fish you can find here in Fayetteville, AR.

I like it. Use a lot in fish soups, stir fries, and such. Only problem
is that you have to go to walmart to get it. I usually wear a disguise.

Regards,
Dave W.

--
Living in the Ozarks
For email, edu will do.

Regardless of what doesn't happen, there's always someone who knew it wouldn't.
R. Henry
Old 21-01-2006, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:04:20 +0000, Gareth wrote:

I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?

How about some orange roughy? I'm not a big fish fan but no matter
how I make this is comes out very nicely. Not fishy at all.

janie

Salmon Richard Miller Vegan 13 24-10-2005 04:54 PM
ESCOLAR FISH WITH MANGO AND SHRIMP RAVIOLI yankeegirL425 Recipes 0 19-08-2005 06:24 AM
Fish Casserole (4) Collection Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 29-12-2004 04:27 AM
Long John Silvers and Arthur Treacher Fish and Chips Batters THE PEAGRAMS Recipes (moderated) 0 10-06-2004 09:40 PM
Vegan Fish (4) Collection Andy & Shell Recipes (moderated) 0 01-06-2004 06:00 PM