Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

Default Least fishy tasting fish?

"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
t...
> In article <q2zAf.982$MJ.91@fed1read07>, says...
>>
>> Halibut is VERY mild, and is delicious both fried and broiled...not to
>> mention baked and grilled.
>>
>> kimberly
>>

> There might be local differences. The halibut I remember from my childhood
> was
> an oily fish with an unpleasant slimy consistency. Maybe it was the way my
> mother used to boil it. I was only ever able to eat it smoked later on, or
> it
> would make me gag.
> North Sea halibut, a flat fish, about 3" thick in the centre and 2-3'
> long?!?
>
> -P.

Sounds to me like it was a freshness problem, really, rather than regional.
Alaskan Halibut is very mild, slightly sweet, and is amazingly easy to
prepare in many delicious ways. My personal favorite is sautéed with butter
and lemon pepper, then drizzled with a sauce I make from blood oranges and
lemons and butter. Sooo good.
Pastor John's wife Bonnie, in Anchor Point Alaska, made halibut in a
casserole type thing with veggies and cheese and a creamy sauce. It was
divine.

kimberly