Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default Least fishy tasting fish?

kilikini wrote:
> "Gareth" > wrote in message
>> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
>> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I
>> start with?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Gareth.
>>

> I'd try something mild, cheap and readily available, like tilapia.
> It's not fishy, it's flakey, and you could bread it and fry it,
> sautee it, do a chowder, fish taco.............whatever. It's really
> a versatile fish.
>
> kili

Tilapia or catfish fillets, definitely. It's mild tasting, flakey and tends
to take well to olive oil or butter and dried spices. Doesn't take long at
all to broil, pan-fry or grill and is very mild tasting.

Sole is wonderful but is delicate; hard to turn without falling apart. Very
nice taste, though.

Salmon and halibut are more 'heavy' tasting; oily and more "fishy" tasting.
A key to those are to soak the fillets in water for about 30 minutes with
lemon slices before you cook them to leach out the oil.

Jill