Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default Least fishy tasting fish?

Dave W. wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> OOOOOH I love whiting! but I can't find off the bone. I have to buy
>> whole whiting and while it's very nice, its on the bone (gutted and
>> thankfully, headless) bit it's a PIA to cook.
>>
>> Jill

> The walmarts around here always have whiting. If memory serves me they
> come in big (3 or 5 lb?) boxes ... frozen fillets. About the least
> expensive fish you can find here in Fayetteville, AR.
>
> I like it. Use a lot in fish soups, stir fries, and such. Only
> problem
> is that you have to go to walmart to get it. I usually wear a
> disguise.
>
> Regards,
> Dave W.

I should go to the "super" Walmart, then. I've avoided the place since they
closed down the old WalMart. Used to get discount books there but I
couldn't find a single employee who knew where the books were when I went to
the new place. They probably could have sold me some whiting, though. <G>

I loved whiting but it was bone-in. I dredged it in an egg & milk wash and
then slathered it in seasoned cornmeal and pan fried it in oil. Delicious!

Jill