Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gareth

Default Least fishy tasting fish?

I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gareth.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Gareth" > wrote in message
> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start

with?

> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Gareth.

I'd try something mild, cheap and readily available, like tilapia. It's not
fishy, it's flakey, and you could bread it and fry it, sautee it, do a
chowder, fish taco.............whatever. It's really a versatile fish.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran

Gareth wrote:
> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Gareth.

Sole and Flounder. I do not like fish, but these are good, no matter
how you cook them. Just make certain that the fish is really fresh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"Gareth" > wrote in message

> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger,
> but I think it is time I tried it again. What type of
> fish would you recommend I start with?

Any very fresh, white salt-water fish. Go to your local fishmonger; avoid
purchasing under plastic wrap at the grocery store. Ideally, your fresh
fish shouldn't smell of fish at all, but fresh and briney. For freshwater
fish, you could try trout, but it can be a bit more oily and fishy-tasting.

-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> "Gareth" > wrote in message
>> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
>> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I
>> start with?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Gareth.
>>

> I'd try something mild, cheap and readily available, like tilapia.
> It's not fishy, it's flakey, and you could bread it and fry it,
> sautee it, do a chowder, fish taco.............whatever. It's really
> a versatile fish.
>
> kili

Tilapia or catfish fillets, definitely. It's mild tasting, flakey and tends
to take well to olive oil or butter and dried spices. Doesn't take long at
all to broil, pan-fry or grill and is very mild tasting.

Sole is wonderful but is delicate; hard to turn without falling apart. Very
nice taste, though.

Salmon and halibut are more 'heavy' tasting; oily and more "fishy" tasting.
A key to those are to soak the fillets in water for about 30 minutes with
lemon slices before you cook them to leach out the oil.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Peter wrote:

> Shark, fresh tuna, skate, marlin are all quite 'unfishy' or at least
> untypical fish. Look for fish that is really really fresh - if it's smelly
> or looks dull, leave it alone. You could try flounder or sole, fried with
> little cubes of bacon - MUST be fresh to taste good, though.
>
> Things to avoid, probably, are eel, mullet, mackerel, halibut ... in other
> words oily fish - these are best smoked i.m.o. and not fried or boiled.
>
> Salt water fish have it over fresh water fish. (don't get me wrong, I love
> trout and salmon myself - but they can be very rich).

I agree with everything written above, but let me just add my favorite white
"non-fishy" fish: sea bass. Also, I never thought of salmon as being fishy;
its taste is different than what I associate with "fishy," though I agree
with its being rich. YMMV.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Margaret Suran wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Gareth wrote:
> > I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it
> > is time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I
> > start with?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > Gareth.
> >

> Sole and Flounder. I do not like fish, but these are good, no matter
> how you cook them. Just make certain that the fish is really fresh.

Cod and Halibut also are pretty mild in flavour and work well under
different cooking methods such as battered and deep fried, breaded,
baked, fried or used in chowders.

Salmon is excellent grilled/BBQed but you might have issues with the
bones.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>Salt water fish have it over fresh water fish. (don't get me wrong, I love
>trout and salmon myself - but they can be very rich).

>-P.

You've obviously never been to a southern fish-fry (Bream, Bass &
Catfish) with hushpuppies, slaw and dill pickle slices. kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Gareth > wrote:

> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Gareth.

I personally prefer catfish, (no fishy taste at all), but just plain
whitefish might work for you. Whiting.

It's inexpensive and needs a LOT of help as it has very little flavor.
;-)

Tilapia fillets are not bad either. Just DO avoid buying this fish
whole! The skin is nasty. Slimy and very fishy smelling.

IME anyhoo.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

jmcquown wrote:

> Tilapia or catfish fillets, definitely. It's mild tasting, flakey and tends
> to take well to olive oil or butter and dried spices. Doesn't take long at
> all to broil, pan-fry or grill and is very mild tasting.

True.

> Sole is wonderful but is delicate; hard to turn without falling apart. Very
> nice taste, though.

True.

> Salmon and halibut are more 'heavy' tasting; oily and more "fishy" tasting.
> A key to those are to soak the fillets in water for about 30 minutes with
> lemon slices before you cook them to leach out the oil.

False on all counts. Salmon tastes like salmon. Soaking it in lemon
water would simply make it taste like watery, lemon-tinged salmon.
Halibut is never oily and 'fishy'. Maybe you got some old, near rotten
fish and confused that with oiliness. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Gareth > wrote:
>
>> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
>> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I
>> start with?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Gareth.

> I personally prefer catfish, (no fishy taste at all), but just plain
> whitefish might work for you. Whiting.
>
> It's inexpensive and needs a LOT of help as it has very little flavor.
> ;-)
>
> Tilapia fillets are not bad either. Just DO avoid buying this fish
> whole! The skin is nasty. Slimy and very fishy smelling.
>
> IME anyhoo.

OOOOOH I love whiting! but I can't find off the bone. I have to buy whole
whiting and while it's very nice, its on the bone (gutted and thankfully,
headless) bit it's a PIA to cook.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave W.

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

<snip>

> OOOOOH I love whiting! but I can't find off the bone. I have to buy whole
> whiting and while it's very nice, its on the bone (gutted and thankfully,
> headless) bit it's a PIA to cook.
>
> Jill

The walmarts around here always have whiting. If memory serves me they
come in big (3 or 5 lb?) boxes ... frozen fillets. About the least
expensive fish you can find here in Fayetteville, AR.

I like it. Use a lot in fish soups, stir fries, and such. Only problem
is that you have to go to walmart to get it. I usually wear a disguise.

Regards,
Dave W.

--
Living in the Ozarks
For email, edu will do.

Regardless of what doesn't happen, there's always someone who knew it wouldn't.
R. Henry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:04:20 +0000, Gareth > wrote:

>I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
>time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?

How about some orange roughy? I'm not a big fish fan but no matter
how I make this is comes out very nicely. Not fishy at all.

janie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Gareth wrote:
>
>> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
>> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start
>> with?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Gareth.
>>

> Sole and Flounder. I do not like fish, but these are good, no matter
> how you cook them. Just make certain that the fish is really fresh.

I'll second what Margaret said. My kids thought they HATED fish
but loved freshly caught boneless, skinless flounder, dipped in flour,
salt and pepper, and sauteed in butter.

Dear Son also raved recently about salmon, wrapped in phyllo and baked,
served with a lemon-dill sauce.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

"Dave W." wrote:

> The walmarts around here always have whiting. If memory serves me they
> come in big (3 or 5 lb?) boxes ... frozen fillets. About the least
> expensive fish you can find here in Fayetteville, AR.
>
> I like it. Use a lot in fish soups, stir fries, and such. Only problem
> is that you have to go to walmart to get it. I usually wear a disguise.

Luckily I don't have to violate my personal Walmart boycott to buy it. They sell it
fresh in my usual grocery store. I am tempted to give it a try based on a dish my
sister in law had in restaurant where we ate in Paris. It was a whole Whiting that
had been butterflied, appeared to have been dredged in (seasoned?) flour and deep
fried. It looked great and she said that it was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"Gareth" > wrote in message
>I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start
> with?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Gareth.

Well, to be honest, the freshness of the fish will make a larger difference
more often than not, than the species. Is there a fish market or pier with
fishmongers near you? The fresher, the better. Try something like tilapia or
halibut. Both are well served by many methods of preparation: baked,
broiled, sautéed, etc. Flounder, cod, and other flat fish are very mild.
Ling cod is especially delicious (to me), and if you can find it, I highly
recommend it. If you like a firmer texture, try Ono, which is closer to the
swordfish/shark texture than flat fish.

It's always surprising to me to hear people say they don't like the taste of
fish...because it implies that all fish tastes the same, which is hardly the
case. Salmon is a stronger flavored fish, but delicious when fresh.
Swordfish is one that most non-fisheaters enjoy because it has a meatier
texture, closer to chicken or steak than fish. Shark is the same way. It
really will come down to the freshness and preparation.

My kids love all of the fish I've mentioned here, so perhaps you just didn't
like the way it was prepared for you as a child, or maybe it wasn't very
fresh.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Nexis wrote:
> "Gareth" > wrote in message
>> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
>> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start
>> with?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Gareth.
>>

> Well, to be honest, the freshness of the fish will make a larger
> difference more often than not, than the species. Is there a fish
> market or pier with fishmongers near you? The fresher, the better.
> Try something like tilapia or halibut. Both are well served by many
> methods of preparation: baked, broiled, sautéed, etc. Flounder, cod,
> and other flat fish are very mild. Ling cod is especially delicious
> (to me), and if you can find it, I highly recommend it. If you like a
> firmer texture, try Ono, which is closer to the swordfish/shark
> texture than flat fish.
>
> It's always surprising to me to hear people say they don't like the
> taste of fish...because it implies that all fish tastes the same,
> which is hardly the case. Salmon is a stronger flavored fish, but
> delicious when fresh. Swordfish is one that most non-fisheaters enjoy
> because it has a meatier texture, closer to chicken or steak than
> fish. Shark is the same way.

Shark steaks are like broiled or grilled steak. YUM!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mercedes Lane

Try awhite fish..try Basa

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Carole Beard

I live near Lake Erie and love perch, however it has become soooooo
costly that I now buy Tilapia. It is sooooo mild that you would not
even know you were eating fish. Tasts just like the fresh Lake Erie
Perch and it is not expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Gareth wrote:
> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Fresh, preferably on the coast that has been caught that morning.

I am not a fish lover but fresh is a must.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Jo Anne Slaven wrote:

> Orange roughy is absolutely wonderful tasting stuff. But it's been
> fished almost to the point of extinction. So my husband won't let me
> buy it any more.
>
> Jo Anne

That is correct. They are a long-lived deep sea fish and are having
trouble recovering from overfishing. There are a number of deep-sea
species that are being wiped out rapidly:
http://www.terranature.org/manWillWi...eCreatures.htm

I pretty much hate the idea of wild-harvesting fish.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Thorn-N-YaSide

Gareth wrote:
> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?

shark is not fishy

catfish is mealy! blah

tilapia is not a memorable

im thinking...

trout!

yes..rainbow trout!

put a stuffing sauce -in it

italian seaon and butter sauce

ohnjoy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
patrice

kilikini wrote:

> "Gareth" > wrote in message
>
>>I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
>>time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start

> with?
>
>>Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>>Gareth.
>>

> I'd try something mild, cheap and readily available, like tilapia. It's not
> fishy, it's flakey, and you could bread it and fry it, sautee it, do a
> chowder, fish taco.............whatever. It's really a versatile fish.
>
> kili

I agree with kili.
Here's a quick suggestion for its use:
Pat the filets dry, then put them in a frying pan with some butter.
Cook until done, which doesn't take more than a few minutes.
Cover with your favorite salsa - heat until the salsa is quite warm.
Serve over rice.
It's not fishy at all this way.
I don't eat much fish (and no meat). I use this method for the tilapia
when I'm trying to get a little extra protein.
It'll basically taste like the salsa you've used to top it, and like
kili said, it's nice and flakey.

patrice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Dave W. wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> OOOOOH I love whiting! but I can't find off the bone. I have to buy
>> whole whiting and while it's very nice, its on the bone (gutted and
>> thankfully, headless) bit it's a PIA to cook.
>>
>> Jill

> The walmarts around here always have whiting. If memory serves me they
> come in big (3 or 5 lb?) boxes ... frozen fillets. About the least
> expensive fish you can find here in Fayetteville, AR.
>
> I like it. Use a lot in fish soups, stir fries, and such. Only
> problem
> is that you have to go to walmart to get it. I usually wear a
> disguise.
>
> Regards,
> Dave W.

I should go to the "super" Walmart, then. I've avoided the place since they
closed down the old WalMart. Used to get discount books there but I
couldn't find a single employee who knew where the books were when I went to
the new place. They probably could have sold me some whiting, though. <G>

I loved whiting but it was bone-in. I dredged it in an egg & milk wash and
then slathered it in seasoned cornmeal and pan fried it in oil. Delicious!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Goldberg

Bob wrote:

>I agree with everything written above,
> but let me just add my favorite white
> "non-fishy" fish: sea bass.

Sea bass is my 'all-time' favourite, and I used to buy it all the time.
I believe it's an endangered species now. At any rate, it's seldom
available. For some reason I just can't get interested in tilapia,
although several of my friends love it. The last time I bought some, I
ended up putting it in a chowder. I didn't even like it that way. I
like catfish just fine.

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
areyoukidding

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:04:20 +0000, Gareth > wrote:

>I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
>time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start with?
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Gareth.

FRESH fish. That will make more difference in the "fishiness" than
most any other part of the choice.

Hope it works out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Nexis wrote:
<snip>
>> It's always surprising to me to hear people say they don't like the
>> taste of fish...because it implies that all fish tastes the same,
>> which is hardly the case. Salmon is a stronger flavored fish, but
>> delicious when fresh. Swordfish is one that most non-fisheaters enjoy
>> because it has a meatier texture, closer to chicken or steak than
>> fish. Shark is the same way.

> Shark steaks are like broiled or grilled steak. YUM!
>
> Jill

Jill, have you ever tried fish and chips made with shark? It's tres yummy!!
Of course, when I was in Hawaii, we found this little fish and chips stand
that used Ono, and I have to say, as good as shark is, the Ono blew my socks
off. Here's a pic of it:
http://i1.tinypic.com/mhag6p.jpg
It was so good, with just a squeeze of lemon. We must have went there 3
times during the week we were there!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:03:29 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:

>"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
et...
>> In article <q2zAf.982$MJ.91@fed1read07>, says...
>>>
>>> Halibut is VERY mild, and is delicious both fried and broiled...not to
>>> mention baked and grilled.
>>>
>>> kimberly
>>>

>> There might be local differences. The halibut I remember from my childhood
>> was
>> an oily fish with an unpleasant slimy consistency. Maybe it was the way my
>> mother used to boil it. I was only ever able to eat it smoked later on, or
>> it
>> would make me gag.
>> North Sea halibut, a flat fish, about 3" thick in the centre and 2-3'
>> long?!?
>>
>> -P.

>Sounds to me like it was a freshness problem, really, rather than regional.
>Alaskan Halibut is very mild, slightly sweet, and is amazingly easy to
>prepare in many delicious ways. My personal favorite is sautéed with butter
>and lemon pepper, then drizzled with a sauce I make from blood oranges and
>lemons and butter. Sooo good.
>Pastor John's wife Bonnie, in Anchor Point Alaska, made halibut in a
>casserole type thing with veggies and cheese and a creamy sauce. It was
>divine.
>
>kimberly

I was bringing a crippled airplane to the lower 48 a few years ago..
got delayed (the word "stuck" wouldn't be appropreate) in Ketchican AK
Had Halibut 3 or 4 times.. alternating with crab legs... damn that
was a good trip.. I agree on the mild flavor.. I felt it to be like
flounder.. just thicker,,, and better
Must go back..
Chuck (in SC)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:42:05 GMT, Chuck > wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:03:29 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:
>

>>"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
. net...
>>> In article <q2zAf.982$MJ.91@fed1read07>, says...

>>> There might be local differences. The halibut I remember from my childhood
>>> was
>>> an oily fish with an unpleasant slimy consistency. Maybe it was the way my
>>> mother used to boil it. I was only ever able to eat it smoked later on, or
>>> it
>>> would make me gag.
>>> North Sea halibut, a flat fish, about 3" thick in the centre and 2-3'
>>> long?!?
>>>
>>> -P.

>>Sounds to me like it was a freshness problem, really, rather than regional.
>>Alaskan Halibut is very mild, slightly sweet, and is amazingly easy to
>>prepare in many delicious ways. My personal favorite is sautéed with butter
>>and lemon pepper, then drizzled with a sauce I make from blood oranges and
>>lemons and butter. Sooo good.
>>Pastor John's wife Bonnie, in Anchor Point Alaska, made halibut in a
>>casserole type thing with veggies and cheese and a creamy sauce. It was
>>divine.
>>
>>kimberly
>>

>I was bringing a crippled airplane to the lower 48 a few years ago..
>got delayed (the word "stuck" wouldn't be appropreate) in Ketchican AK
>Had Halibut 3 or 4 times.. alternating with crab legs... damn that
>was a good trip.. I agree on the mild flavor.. I felt it to be like
>flounder.. just thicker,,, and better
> Must go back..
>Chuck (in SC)

appropriate
damn spell check don't work if ya' don't press that button..
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On 21 Jan 2006 10:48:33 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Tilapia or catfish fillets, definitely. It's mild tasting, flakey and tends
>> to take well to olive oil or butter and dried spices. Doesn't take long at
>> all to broil, pan-fry or grill and is very mild tasting.

>True.
>>
>> Sole is wonderful but is delicate; hard to turn without falling apart. Very
>> nice taste, though.
>>

>True.
>
>> Salmon and halibut are more 'heavy' tasting; oily and more "fishy" tasting.
>> A key to those are to soak the fillets in water for about 30 minutes with
>> lemon slices before you cook them to leach out the oil.
>>

>False on all counts. Salmon tastes like salmon. Soaking it in lemon
>water would simply make it taste like watery, lemon-tinged salmon.
>Halibut is never oily and 'fishy'. Maybe you got some old, near rotten
>fish and confused that with oiliness. -aem

I agree -aem.. Halibut isn't "fishy".. very mild..
Chuck (in SC)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:45:16 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Margaret Suran wrote:
>>

>> Gareth wrote:
>>
>>> I never liked the taste of fish when I was younger, but I think it is
>>> time I tried it again. What type of fish would you recommend I start
>>> with?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>>
>>> Gareth.
>>>

>> Sole and Flounder. I do not like fish, but these are good, no matter
>> how you cook them. Just make certain that the fish is really fresh.

>I'll second what Margaret said. My kids thought they HATED fish
>but loved freshly caught boneless, skinless flounder, dipped in flour,
>salt and pepper, and sauteed in butter.
>
>Dear Son also raved recently about salmon, wrapped in phyllo and baked,
>served with a lemon-dill sauce.
>
>gloria p

Humm sorta "fish wellington".. doesn't sound bad at all..
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
BoboBonobo

Catfish? Ewww. You turn him off of fish forever.

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 23 Jan 2006 04:38:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
BoboBonobo?

> jmcquown wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:

>> > I'd try something mild, cheap and readily available, like tilapia.
>> > It's not fishy, it's flakey, and you could bread it and fry it,
>> > sautee it, do a chowder, fish taco.............whatever. It's really
>> > a versatile fish.
>> >
>> > kili

>> Tilapia or catfish fillets, definitely. It's mild tasting, flakey and
>> tends to take well to olive oil or butter and dried spices. Doesn't
>> take long at all to broil, pan-fry or grill and is very mild tasting.

> Catfish? Ewww. You turn him off of fish forever.
>>
>> Jill

> --Bryan

Food Snob!