Default Fishy smell/tasting Vegtable oil when frying

Hi,
When I fry potatoes or meats on stove top using a 100% vegatable oil I
get a fish like odor and slight taste as well. Why might this be?Should
I use another type of oil?? it's not my pans i do not think as I never
use them for fish but they are aluminum with teflon or other coating on
them. Even brand new oil, freshly opened does this as well
Thanks In advance

Bill

David Hare-Scott

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
> When I fry potatoes or meats on stove top using a 100% vegatable oil I
> get a fish like odor and slight taste as well. Why might this be?Should
> I use another type of oil?? it's not my pans i do not think as I never
> use them for fish but they are aluminum with teflon or other coating on
> them. Even brand new oil, freshly opened does this as well
> Thanks In advance
>
> Bill

I have never had this with fresh oil but I have with stale oil that has had
few things in it and isn't too clean. It's caused by the breakdown products
that stay in the oil when you re-use it.

David

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Hi,
When I fry potatoes or meats on stove top using a 100% vegatable oil I
get a fish like odor and slight taste as well. Why might this be?Should
I use another type of oil?? it's not my pans i do not think as I never
use them for fish but they are aluminum with teflon or other coating on
them. Even brand new oil, freshly opened does this as well
Thanks In advance

Bill
Sorry to dig up an old thread. My daughter mentioned this to me today, and I have also wondered about what appears to be the sale of possibly "contaminated" or "recycled" vegetable oil.

None of the answers posted here seemed to make a case for themselves, and were even self-contradicting.

I have a rather plausible explanation for the fish smell in vegetable oils.

In our modern world of commodities for the masses, vegetable oil is vegetable oil. Deli's and restaurants that use deep-frying equipment do a "boil out" on a regular basis where chemicals are dumped into the hot oils, and the suspended particulates drop out. The oil looks and smells fresh if you have done your job well. You may continue deep-frying.
Let's take vegetable oil up another notch- where large corporations use it to prepare processed food products. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of this oil are used on a daily basis. In order to get the most out of the oil, I am sure (but I am guessing) that boil outs are done at this scale, as well. At any rate- eventually the oil is unfit for the product being produced-and probably goes through even more processing before being "recycled" as vegetable oil. This may serve the bottom line well, but the consumers get the short end of the stick.

Just my .02

glowing