Kraft Mac & Cheese

Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kraft Mac & Cheese

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 18:43:23 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
Pope) wrote:

Of the various ways to make mac & cheese, melting the cheese
before combining with the macaroni is not one I have tried.
I will mix the cheese and the macaroni and then either
place it in the oven, or do a quick melting operation on
the stovetop.

Try incorporating chunks or cubes of cheese throughout, too. Makes
for nice, cheesy surprises.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 12:24*am, "King's Crown" wrote:
"Dimitri" wrote in message

Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

Do you doctor it up?

How so?

Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. *How
about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

What is your secret?

:-)

Dimitri

I stopped buying Kraft Mac & Cheese when I found Alton Brown's Stovetop Mac
& Cheese recipe. *It's fast, easy, delicious and I usually have all the
ingredients in the house.

Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Serves: *6 to 8 servings
Ingredients
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
6 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
Directions
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and
drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir
into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3
minutes or until creamy.

Got the fat gram rundown on this? Calories per serving?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Dimitri" wrote:
Do you doctor it up?

Dimitri

On the rare occasions when I fix it (for myself; HWSRN won't touch the
stuff), I mostly follow the directions on the box -- using about half as
much butter as they want.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Old 05-03-2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:50:39 -0600, Janet Wilder
wrote:

My esophagus was all messed up from the radiation treatments. Swallowing
was very hard and very painful. Mac and cheese was soft and slippery.
The cream made it even more so and added some calories. I needed a lot
of protein to heal the open wound on my stomach from the emergency
colostomy when my colon ruptured in the midst of radiation. The mac and
cheese with the extra cream was, for a while, the only solid food I
could manage. Otherwise it was Boost.

OMG! You've been through the mill, Janet! I'm glad that things have
settled down for you, and that you're feeling healthier.

Carol

Thanks, Carol. It was pretty rough for a while, but I'm great. I guess a
tough old broad like me is hard to kill. :-)
Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" wrote in message

[...]

Ask Alton... but why would one eat Mac & Cheese if they were worried about
fat and calories?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
Cheryl wrote:

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message

When I was very sick and could hardly eat anything, I ate Kraft Mac
and Cheese with extra heavy cream added to it. It was one of the few
things I could manage.

That was with tongue cancer, right? Once it got past the tongue to
the esophagus you felt ok to eat?

My esophagus was all messed up from the radiation treatments.
Swallowing was very hard and very painful. Mac and cheese was soft and
slippery. The cream made it even more so and added some calories. I
needed a lot of protein to heal the open wound on my stomach from the
emergency colostomy when my colon ruptured in the midst of radiation.
The mac and cheese with the extra cream was, for a while, the only
solid food I could manage. Otherwise it was Boost.

One of my friends had problems with her esophagus and swallowing was too
painful, her doctor prescribed an anesthetic spray for her throat. One
day she was having lunch and I was rubbing an ointment on the radiation
burns that were on her back, and tears were running down her cheeks,
because it hurt so bad to swallow. It was all I could do to keep from
crying.

Janet, I am glad you are healthy and cancer-free, but it sounds like you
had a really rough time of it. I hope you never, ever have to go
through that again.

Becca
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"Dimitri" wrote:
Do you doctor it up?

Dimitri

On the rare occasions when I fix it (for myself; HWSRN won't touch the
stuff), I mostly follow the directions on the box -- using about half as
much butter as they want.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."

Here goes....My name is Sharon and I'm a KD addict....that said, I only
make it about twice a year because of type 2 Diabetes....I made the store
brand last weekend when we had two of our young grandsons visiting. That
and hot dogs and beans...a kid friendly meal...they loved it......maybe I
can get them here more often...lol...shame on me.........Sharon in Canada

Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
Janet Wilder wrote:
Cheryl wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Becca. I hope I never do, either.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 7:40 pm, "Dimitri" wrote:
Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

Dimitri

The very odor of the sauce makes me puke. Sorry. Someone else has to
fix it for the grandkids when they want it for lunch at my house. I
didn't even know what "blue box" meant until I started reading this
group - I never bought it for the kids when they were small - 'course,
they're 43 and 40 now, so maybe it wasn't being manufactured yet.

Real mac 'n cheese takes so little time - not as little as the blue
box, but little enough. Just plan for it about 45 minutes ahead of
time.

N.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

Do you doctor it up?

How so?

Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How
about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

What is your secret?

I can tell you that I don't use it. My son liked it when he was young,
but when I started making it from scratch he lost his taste for Kraft.
Sure, it takes longer to make macaroni and cheese from scratch, and it
costs more, but the real stuff is good.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to eat it once in a great while. ONLY the blue box and it had
to be at least whole milk (or half and half) an some extra butter.
Then a few years ago one of my work colleagues made it and I ended up
working late and had to eat his. He was a heart patient on a low
sodium low fat diet and he made it by dumping all the pasta from 6
boxed in a vat of (unsalted) boileng water. Then he stirred the cheese
packets into the (skim) milk. After the pasta waaaaaaaaaaay beyond al
dente, he drained it and pourd the cheesy skim milk on top and stirred
like hell. Yum . . . yellow wallpaper paste. Haven't touched it
since.
Lynn in Fargo

Old 05-03-2009, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

heron wrote in message

"Dimitri" wrote in message
Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

Do you doctor it up?

How so?

Add extra cheese, real butter, mixed veggies or leftover veggies. How
about dicing some leftover meat or lunch meat?

What is your secret?

:-)

Dimitri

When you could buy Kraft powdered American cheese separately, it worked
somewhat better to make it on your own, choosing your own noodles, etc.I
wish I could find powdered American or Cheddar cheese sold separately. I
haven't been able to. If anyone knows of a source I'd sure appreciate it.

Ed

Frontier Natural Products www.frontiercoop.com has powdered mild cheddar
and also white cheddar.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:40:38 -0800, "Dimitri"
wrote:

Kraft Mac & Cheese has been a staple for YEARS.

Don't tell me you don't use it I don't believe you.

We can't all make Mac & Cheese from scratch all the time.

Do you doctor it up?

My little boys (recent pictures here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699999@N06/ ) eat the blue box mac and
cheese at least once a week at home. They love it as is. We
usually eat the Aldi version. I have never noticed a difference
between Kraft and the store brands.

I have just about lost my taste for boxed mac and cheese. When we
do want add ins, I add:

tuna
hot dogs
peas