Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kraft fat-free cream cheese.

Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
ago. Now I suddenly can't find it in the local Giant supermarkets tho'
they did have fruit flavored fat-free. There were mutterings about
discontinuation from the local managers but I have written to the basic
stores address and am promised a quick reply. Well, we shall see!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
>eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
>ago. Now I suddenly can't find it in the local Giant supermarkets tho'
>they did have fruit flavored fat-free. There were mutterings about
>discontinuation from the local managers but I have written to the basic
>stores address and am promised a quick reply. Well, we shall see!

Fat-free cheese is like sugar-free candy.

Begs the question: What am I putting in my mouth?

Not for THIS mouth, lemme tell ya!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
>eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
>ago.

If you're concerned about your health, Kraft fat-free cream cheese
doesn't sound very healthy (or appetising for that matter).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 4:43 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
>> eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
>> ago. Now I suddenly can't find it in the local Giant supermarkets tho'
>> they did have fruit flavored fat-free. There were mutterings about
>> discontinuation from the local managers but I have written to the basic
>> stores address and am promised a quick reply. Well, we shall see!

> Fat-free cheese is like sugar-free candy.
>
> Begs the question: What am I putting in my mouth?
>
> Not for THIS mouth, lemme tell ya!
>
> John Kuthe...

As well as a spread on rye crisps, a schmear on bagels and on rye bread
for smoked salmon, it works well in making mashed potatoes. I'll admit
that I have mentioned previously that a sprinkle of MSG improves it as a
spread.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:56:36 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 5/1/2014 4:43 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
>>> eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
>>> ago. Now I suddenly can't find it in the local Giant supermarkets tho'
>>> they did have fruit flavored fat-free. There were mutterings about
>>> discontinuation from the local managers but I have written to the basic
>>> stores address and am promised a quick reply. Well, we shall see!

>> Fat-free cheese is like sugar-free candy.
>>
>> Begs the question: What am I putting in my mouth?
>>
>> Not for THIS mouth, lemme tell ya!
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

>As well as a spread on rye crisps, a schmear on bagels and on rye bread
>for smoked salmon, it works well in making mashed potatoes. I'll admit
>that I have mentioned previously that a sprinkle of MSG improves it as a
>spread.

I still ask: what are you putting in your mouth? Cheese is primarily
fat, like candy is primarily sugar. What is "fat free cheese" made
from?

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
> eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
> ago. Now I suddenly can't find it in the local Giant supermarkets tho'
> they did have fruit flavored fat-free. There were mutterings about
> discontinuation from the local managers but I have written to the basic
> stores address and am promised a quick reply. Well, we shall see!

I do not see the fat free listed on their website.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>>Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
>>eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
>>ago. Now I suddenly can't find it in the local Giant supermarkets tho'
>>they did have fruit flavored fat-free. There were mutterings about
>>discontinuation from the local managers but I have written to the basic
>>stores address and am promised a quick reply. Well, we shall see!

> Fat-free cheese is like sugar-free candy.
>
> Begs the question: What am I putting in my mouth?
>
> Not for THIS mouth, lemme tell ya!
>
> John Kuthe...

Yeah. The first dietician I saw, told me to eat fat free cheese. I was
like... You know that has more carbs. Right? She didn't know. Then she
chastised me and said that there wasn't enough fat in my diet and told me to
add margarine to my vegetables. I was like... Nah. I'll just eat real
food! This was of course before I knew of my dairy intolerance. I was
eating real cheese back then although not often and not a lot of it and if I
needed fat it was usually butter. I have since switched to olive oil for
many things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:56:36 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>>On 5/1/2014 4:43 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>>> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton

>>> Fat-free cheese is like sugar-free candy.
>>>
>>> Begs the question: What am I putting in my mouth?
>>>
>>> Not for THIS mouth, lemme tell ya!
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>>As well as a spread on rye crisps, a schmear on bagels and on rye bread
>>for smoked salmon, it works well in making mashed potatoes. I'll admit
>>that I have mentioned previously that a sprinkle of MSG improves it as a
>>spread.

> I still ask: what are you putting in your mouth? Cheese is primarily
> fat, like candy is primarily sugar. What is "fat free cheese" made
> from?

Sugar! Well not really but they do add something like that to it. When you
remove the fat, you remove the flavor and have to add something back in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>>Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
>>eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
>>ago.

> If you're concerned about your health, Kraft fat-free cream cheese
> doesn't sound very healthy (or appetising for that matter).

Indeed.

Do they still make Neufchatel? Back in the fat free 1980's it was a
recommended sub for cream cheese. I thought Kraft made it but it is not
listed on their products.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 May 2014 14:20:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:56:36 -0400, James Silverton
>> > wrote:

>>>As well as a spread on rye crisps, a schmear on bagels and on rye bread
>>>for smoked salmon, it works well in making mashed potatoes. I'll admit
>>>that I have mentioned previously that a sprinkle of MSG improves it as a
>>>spread.

>> I still ask: what are you putting in your mouth? Cheese is primarily
>> fat, like candy is primarily sugar. What is "fat free cheese" made
>> from?
>>

>Sugar! Well not really but they do add something like that to it. When you
>remove the fat, you remove the flavor and have to add something back in.

Sounds disgusting!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 4:01 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:56:36 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/1/2014 4:43 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>>> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton

>>> Fat-free cheese is like sugar-free candy.
>>>
>>> Begs the question: What am I putting in my mouth?
>>>
>>> Not for THIS mouth, lemme tell ya!
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>> As well as a spread on rye crisps, a schmear on bagels and on rye bread
>> for smoked salmon, it works well in making mashed potatoes. I'll admit
>> that I have mentioned previously that a sprinkle of MSG improves it as a
>> spread.

> I still ask: what are you putting in your mouth? Cheese is primarily
> fat, like candy is primarily sugar. What is "fat free cheese" made
> from?

chemicals

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 4:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
>>> eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
>>> ago.

>> If you're concerned about your health, Kraft fat-free cream cheese
>> doesn't sound very healthy (or appetising for that matter).

> Indeed.
>
> Do they still make Neufchatel? Back in the fat free 1980's it was a
> recommended sub for cream cheese. I thought Kraft made it but it is not
> listed on their products.

Kraft still makes it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 8:38 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/1/2014 4:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton

>>> If you're concerned about your health, Kraft fat-free cream cheese
>>> doesn't sound very healthy (or appetising for that matter).

>> Indeed.
>>
>> Do they still make Neufchatel? Back in the fat free 1980's it was a
>> recommended sub for cream cheese. I thought Kraft made it but it is not
>> listed on their products.

> Kraft still makes it.

I like Neufchatel as a spread for use on veggies and baked potatoes or
as a spread on bread. I've posted the recipe many times over the years.
Blend minced garlic and herbs creamed together with Neufchatel.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/1/2014 4:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 01 May 2014 16:39:57 -0400, James Silverton

>>> If you're concerned about your health, Kraft fat-free cream cheese
>>> doesn't sound very healthy (or appetising for that matter).

>> Indeed.
>>
>> Do they still make Neufchatel? Back in the fat free 1980's it was a
>> recommended sub for cream cheese. I thought Kraft made it but it is not
>> listed on their products.

> Kraft still makes it.

Hmmm... Did not see it listed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> > Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
> > eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
> > ago. Now I suddenly can't find it in the local Giant supermarkets tho'
> > they did have fruit flavored fat-free. There were mutterings about
> > discontinuation from the local managers but I have written to the basic
> > stores address and am promised a quick reply. Well, we shall see!
> >

> I do not see the fat free listed on their website.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/Products...x?SiteId=1&Pro
duct=2100000154

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> > Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
>> > eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25
>> > years
>> > ago. Now I suddenly can't find it in the local Giant supermarkets tho'
>> > they did have fruit flavored fat-free. There were mutterings about
>> > discontinuation from the local managers but I have written to the basic
>> > stores address and am promised a quick reply. Well, we shall see!
>> >

>> I do not see the fat free listed on their website.

> http://www.kraftrecipes.com/Products...x?SiteId=1&Pro
> duct=2100000154

Strange. That's a totally different page for products than I got.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> I do not see the fat free listed on their website.

> > http://www.kraftrecipes.com/Products...x?SiteId=1&Pro
> > duct=2100000154

> Strange. That's a totally different page for products than I got.

are you using IE as your browser?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>>> http://www.kraftrecipes.com/Products...x?SiteId=1&Pro
>>> duct=2100000154

>> Strange. That's a totally different page for products than I got.

> are you using IE as your browser?

Strangely enough, a local Giant store has just started selling their own
brand of fat-free cream cheese. I bought a carton and will try it in the
next day or so.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
James Silverton > wrote:

> On 5/2/2014 2:38 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Strange. That's a totally different page for products than I got.

> > are you using IE as your browser?
> >

> Strangely enough, a local Giant store has just started selling their own
> brand of fat-free cream cheese. I bought a carton and will try it in the
> next day or so.

it doesn't matter, she doesn't like it and if she did her local store
wouldn't carry it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > http://www.kraftrecipes.com/Products...x?SiteId=1&Pro
>> > duct=2100000154

>> Strange. That's a totally different page for products than I got.

> are you using IE as your browser?

Nope. Chrome. I checked at Winco today. Nothing in the way of fat free or
even reduced fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Strange. That's a totally different page for products than I got.

> > are you using IE as your browser?

> Nope. Chrome. I checked at Winco today. Nothing in the way of fat free or
> even reduced fat.

what did Kraft say when you asked them for a local distributor?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 1:39:57 PM UTC-7, James Silverton wrote:

> Kraft plain fat-free cream cheese has been a mainstay of my attempts to
> eat a very low fat diet even since having a triple heart bypass 25 years
> ago. Now I suddenly can't find it in the local Giant supermarkets tho'
> they did have fruit flavored fat-free. There were mutterings about
> discontinuation from the local managers but I have written to the basic
> stores address and am promised a quick reply. Well, we shall see!

Fat-free cheese in a brick; fruit-flavored cheese in a tub.

Brick fat-free cheese:

http://www.kraftbrands.com/philly/pr...am-cheese.html