Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Looking for some BBQ help

I have recently been put on a very low salt and NO sugar diet by my
doctor. For the most part I can handle it but the one thing I really
miss is my BBQ sauce and Sunday BBQ with the family. I have always made
my own sauce but it always had salt and lots of brown sugar in it.
I've tried a couple of concoctions but without much sucess so figured
I'd ask here. Does anyone know of any decent BBQ sauce thqat can be
made without sugar, very little if any salt and prefereably no black
pepper?

Thanks ahead, Phil

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have recently been put on a very low salt and NO sugar diet by my
> doctor. For the most part I can handle it but the one thing I really
> miss is my BBQ sauce and Sunday BBQ with the family. I have always made
> my own sauce but it always had salt and lots of brown sugar in it.
> I've tried a couple of concoctions but without much sucess so figured
> I'd ask here. Does anyone know of any decent BBQ sauce thqat can be
> made without sugar, very little if any salt and prefereably no black
> pepper?

Have you tried Splenda? Eliminating salt for me has not been a big deal but
if you like sugar, that will be a tougher challenge, IMO. Splenda is bland
on flavor, but does add sweetness. Perhaps you can find a molasses flavor
to give it the brown sugar flavor you like. I read someplace that chicory
can give a molasses flavor. Maybe some other flavor will come close. There
are a bunch at http://www.davincigourmet.com/page.php?page=760

Good luck and good health
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> I have recently been put on a very low salt and NO sugar diet by my
> doctor. For the most part I can handle it but the one thing I really
> miss is my BBQ sauce and Sunday BBQ with the family. I have always made
> my own sauce but it always had salt and lots of brown sugar in it.
> I've tried a couple of concoctions but without much sucess so figured
> I'd ask here. Does anyone know of any decent BBQ sauce thqat can be
> made without sugar, very little if any salt and prefereably no black
> pepper?
>
> Thanks ahead, Phil

Piedmont's BBQ Sauce

12 oz Contadina Tomato Paste, placed in a 4 cup measuring cup, then add
water until level reaches 3 cups. Set aside for now.

In a blender, place 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (sorry, contains salt,
maybe you can find substitute), 1/2 cup water, /2 cup yellow onion, 1/2
cup green pepper.

Blend to chop up veggy's fine, then add the following to blender,
water/tomato paste blend that you set aside, 2 Tbsp Tabasco, 2 Tbsp
white vinegar, 2 Tbsp garlic either granulated or powdered, 1 cup of
Frank's Sauce or Texas Pete's Sauce, blend until smooth.

Add blender contents to pot, bring to a boil,then turn down to a simmer,
covered for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Then takeoff heat,
allow to cool about 10 minutes, while sill warm, add1 cup of Splenda,
stir well, refrigerate, holds in refrigerator for up to 3-4 weeks.

Mike "Piedmont"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Piedmont wrote:
snip

> Piedmont's BBQ Sauce
>
> 12 oz Contadina Tomato Paste, placed in a 4 cup measuring cup, then add
> water until level reaches 3 cups. Set aside for now.
>
> In a blender, place 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (sorry, contains salt,
> maybe you can find substitute), 1/2 cup water,

Correction: "1/2" cup yellow onion (dang keyboards!)

> 1/2 cup green pepper.

snip
> Mike "Piedmont"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have recently been put on a very low salt and NO sugar diet by my
> doctor. For the most part I can handle it but the one thing I really
> miss is my BBQ sauce and Sunday BBQ with the family. I have always made
> my own sauce but it always had salt and lots of brown sugar in it.
> I've tried a couple of concoctions but without much sucess so figured
> I'd ask here. Does anyone know of any decent BBQ sauce thqat can be
> made without sugar, very little if any salt and prefereably no black
> pepper?
>
> Thanks ahead, Phil

Last year at the Frisco BBQ Challenge came across "Biggins Signature BBQ
Sauce" that is diabetic Safe and reasonably priced. http://wwwBigginsBBQ.com
or , The sauce was pretty good. He is out of Estes
Park Colorado.
Dave on Mountain in Colorado

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/bb...gia_sauce.html

> How about one of the potassium chloride salt replacements?

Definitely has a different taste, that I didn't like. I just learned to cut
WAY down on my NaCl. I put the barest sprinkle of Kosher salt on my food
when served, rather than cooking it in (except when I'm grilling a steak).

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> How about one of the potassium chloride salt replacements?

Known kidney killers... drink plenty of water if you are using potassium.