Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Piedmont[_1_] Piedmont[_1_] is offline

Default Looking for some BBQ help

wrote:
> I have recently been put on a very low salt and NO sugar diet by my
> doctor. For the most part I can handle it but the one thing I really
> miss is my BBQ sauce and Sunday BBQ with the family. I have always made
> my own sauce but it always had salt and lots of brown sugar in it.
> I've tried a couple of concoctions but without much sucess so figured
> I'd ask here. Does anyone know of any decent BBQ sauce thqat can be
> made without sugar, very little if any salt and prefereably no black
> pepper?
>
> Thanks ahead, Phil

Piedmont's BBQ Sauce

12 oz Contadina Tomato Paste, placed in a 4 cup measuring cup, then add
water until level reaches 3 cups. Set aside for now.

In a blender, place 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (sorry, contains salt,
maybe you can find substitute), 1/2 cup water, /2 cup yellow onion, 1/2
cup green pepper.

Blend to chop up veggy's fine, then add the following to blender,
water/tomato paste blend that you set aside, 2 Tbsp Tabasco, 2 Tbsp
white vinegar, 2 Tbsp garlic either granulated or powdered, 1 cup of
Frank's Sauce or Texas Pete's Sauce, blend until smooth.

Add blender contents to pot, bring to a boil,then turn down to a simmer,
covered for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Then takeoff heat,
allow to cool about 10 minutes, while sill warm, add1 cup of Splenda,
stir well, refrigerate, holds in refrigerator for up to 3-4 weeks.

Mike "Piedmont"